"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
honestly this is 100% her boyfriends fault for perpetuating her lack of knowledge. If he's in residency he shouldn't be so uneducated about literally the entire application process.
He's in neurology or neuro-surg, can't remember. But I can assure you he knows what he's doing. The ban-hammer has gotten intense around here lately, but if you look at your keyboard, to the right of the letter "S". press the key twice. That describes his motivations.

Reactions: 3 users
He's in neurology or neuro-surg, can't remember. But I can assure you he knows what he's doing. The ban-hammer has gotten intense around here lately, but if you look at your keyboard, to the right of the letter "S". press the key twice. That describes his motivations.
Double D?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno...I'm thinking she could have a great future if she hooks up with this guy. :rolleyes:
Teen accused of being a fake doctor arrested again - CNN.com
I clicked the link in the article to the website for his fake practice, and this is insane. He has a bunch of stuff about medical marijuana, but it also says he's in TX and that's very illegal here... Also, "We provide full surgical treatment and capabilities that include robotic surgery, laser treatments, and heart surgery." Woof.
NBNL Medical Center - NBNL Medical Center provides personalized healthcare services with premium healthcare assistances in the promise and commitment to help patients get the best help they need. We value the lives of our community and strive to enhance the best healthcare in the state of Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
Double D?
He needs a designated driver? Sounds pretty responsible to me.

Reactions: 14 users
Heh I love how people try to write things about extracting organics when... they've... clearly... never taken orgo

"CBD oil is extracted then separated from the varieties of cannabis known as hemp. Chemically, cannabidiol is among the 113 compound substances known as cannabinoids that are all found in the cannabis plant."

Lol @ that site.

I clicked the link in the article to the website for his fake practice, and this is insane. He has a bunch of stuff about medical marijuana, but it also says he's in TX and that's very illegal here... Also, "We provide full surgical treatment and capabilities that include robotic surgery, laser treatments, and heart surgery." Woof.
NBNL Medical Center - NBNL Medical Center provides personalized healthcare services with premium healthcare assistances in the promise and commitment to help patients get the best help they need. We value the lives of our community and strive to enhance the best healthcare in the state of Texas.
sleep.PNG

We're all dead :(

Reactions: 7 users
"and even death - which is known as the number one cause of death in America"
Gotta love a good misplaced modifier.

These are the passages they should use to assess CARS

My friend started DPT school this past fall. After getting his acceptance his sister posted on social media about how her brother had gotten into medical school (did not say DPT school or physical therapy school). I had the benefit of the doubt in my mind and thought it was a laymen's misconception. I went out with him and some of my other friends recently (he was on break from school). He told me how glad he was to be on break and to "be away from the doctor life." I now know where his sister got the idea that he was in medical school.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Her: "I'm going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon."

Me: "Are you applying this year?"

Her: "Yeah, uh huh."

Me: "Are you registering for the MCAT next week?"

Her: "MCAT? What's that?"

Me: "The medical college admission test"

Her: "Oh, I dont have to take that."

Me: "Ohhh reallyyyy? Well good luck with your application"

Some people are in bridge programs and really don't have to take the MCAT. Is that possibly the case?

Reactions: 1 users
Do they still have to apply? I'd think if she was in one of those programs and was asked if she was applying, she'd mention that.
I know of a school that still requires their bridge program applicants to submit an app through AMCAS, though I know this school also needed them to take the MCAT and they had to get a minimum score.

My friend started DPT school this past fall. After getting his acceptance his sister posted on social media about how her brother had gotten into medical school (did not say DPT school or physical therapy school). I had the benefit of the doubt in my mind and thought it was a laymen's misconception. I went out with him and some of my other friends recently (he was on break from school). He told me how glad he was to be on break and to "be away from the doctor life." I now know where his sister got the idea that he was in medical school.
Haha this is gold. I used to be a PT student and thankfully no one in my class was like that. But I met a couple of students from other schools that had this mentality. One guy in particular said "Yeah, everyone is going to call me Dr. no matter what. My friends, co-workers, and family." This guy is going to be hated lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a difference between helping and enabling!

Before early morning physics class, unsolicited-to-no-one-mouth-vomit breaks the silence.
Unfortunate premed: Anyone else going to med school?
Peanut gallery: sure, i guess, etc.
Unfortunate Premed: Yeah, me too...life story... more vomit
Curious student: Aren't you a nursing major?
Unfortunate premed: Yeah, i'm nursing/pre-med. I'm doing both.
Sorry he asked student: oh, ok.

Later that semester, during the final exam, after Unfortunate premed had received exam grades with a range of 30-55.
Unfortunate premed (with hand in air): Professor, how do we go from grams to kilograms again?
Professor, after stunned silence: Um, I can't really answer that, since this is an exam.
Unfortunate premed: (Presents cleavage)
Professor: let me check your dimensional analysis
Me in my head: I bet you will
Unfortunate premed gets a C in the class.

The next year, unfortunate premed fails some nursing clinical stuff or whatever and gets dropped from the program.
Unfortunate premed: I'm so glad I can finally focus on medschool
Concerned friend: I think medschools can see your transcript, and failing clinicals might be a red flag for them, what are your thoughts?
Unfortunate premed: My boyfriend is a resident and he says I'll be fine. No one cares about nursing. besides my gpa is fine.
Me, can't hold back anymore: What is your GPA? I had that one physics class with you a while back, I know it didn't go so great.
Unfortunate premed: No its fine, like 2.6, but I'm sure it'll go up a little bit. My boyfriend says its fine 'casue he can put my name on publications to make up for it.
Me: have you looked up the AAMC tables that shows date for gpa/mcat blah blah blah.
Unfortunate Premed: No, I don't even care. You don't even need the MCAT for lots of schools.

The reason I share this story is to illustrate the journey I went on, from enjoying many a laugh/gossip session at Unfortunate premed's expense, to feeling genuinely sorry for her. Perhaps we should help these poor souls? I dunno.

But I boosted my empathy by like +5 XP points.

"and even death - which is known as the number one cause of death in America"
Gotta love a good misplaced modifier.

BREAKING NEWS

Death will kill you

Reactions: 17 users
"It's fine, like a 2.6."
I still think that's a typo....
I can't speak for anyone else, but seeing less of your posts would really increase the quality of this thread for me.
Maybe ask yourself a few simple questions before posting. "Am I contributing"? "Is what i'm saying funny"? "Do I realize the irony of making dozens of uninformed posts in a thread about uninformed pre-meds"?

Reactions: 21 users
I can't speak for anyone else, but seeing less of your posts would really increase the quality of this thread for me.
Maybe ask yourself a few simple questions before posting. "Am I contributing"? "Is what i'm saying funny"? "Do I realize the irony of making dozens of uninformed posts in a thread about uninformed pre-meds"?
Damn, why you guys gotta be such bullies? Take it easy. It's not that hard to just scroll past a post.

I think it needed to be said. It's in the interest of having an engaging forum. Pointless posts, which take up space but offer no contribution in one way or another, should be discouraged. I think it's pretty clear what qualifies- a simple reaction would not count as meaningful, for instance. On a forum where all posts are read in the order posted (unlike Reddit, where you can sort by most popular), there should be some guidelines with posts with respect to quality. If you've read through long threads that often go off topic, with a few kernels of relevant, quality posts scattered intermittently, you know the frustration.
I'm not trying to be mean- I'm sure she means well. No doubt she has things to contribute. But reasonable limits help make SDN more enjoyable for everyone. I'm sure she would agree and cooperate if she knew people felt that way; we're not asking for a ban here.

Reactions: 8 users
Some people are in bridge programs and really don't have to take the MCAT. Is that possibly the case?
Most of those programs still require the MCAT, despite the student being accepted directly from high school or very early on in college. These students usually don't have to excel on the mcat (but are encouraged to); most have to hit national average or greater. That was the rule at my university. However, since the MCAT recently changed, students are expected to score at higher than national average as per what the school of medicine instructs them to. For example, Drexel BS/MD requires students to hit: 125+ on psy/soc, 127+ in all other sections of the MCAT as per their website.

Stahp before we get this thread nuked too.

Reactions: 12 users
She's making comments about what's being posted, so she's not going off topic, however superfluous you feel those comments are. And not necessarily you specifically, but there are absolutely people in this thread who are being mean whether they intend to or not. Imagine saying the below to somebody in person, and tell me it's not rude AF, regardless of how annoying you find somebody. Nobody is respectfully saying "hey, can you reduce your post volume a bit please."

Ok, I admit those posts are harsher than they need to be. They could have sent a PM suggesting it, or at least tone down the criticism. But I would still argue that simply commenting about a post is not enough to make it on-topic or meaningful, and some expectation (even unwritten) is desirable.

One of my friends applied to a PR school and doesn't speak a word of Spanish.

Reactions: 30 users
Hey.

Please don't call out other members and keep this thread on topic.

There's a social thread /forum for unrelated talk and if you can't keep discourse respectful and professional, well, there are plenty of other venues on the internet for that.

Reactions: 8 users
Great, fine, but literally nobody has said anything along those lines until you just now. The last one by EOD is a bit closer, though borderline IMO. But otherwise it's just been "lol sapphire is an idiot" which at least to me, is no more valuable than the type of post you're complaining about. And that's what I'm saying needs to stop.

This is the damn internet... if someone gets butthurt about a post, then they have an issue... I still can't wrap my head around how people take things to heart or literally when venturing into the abyss of the interwebs... and let's not forget that SDN is anonymous which stops the potential for personal attacks...

Reactions: 2 users
Great, fine, but literally nobody has said anything along those lines until you just now. The last one by EOD is a bit closer, though borderline IMO. But otherwise it's just been "lol sapphire is an idiot" which at least to me, is no more valuable than the type of post you're complaining about. And that's what I'm saying needs to stop.

I know, right?

#ironic-****-posting

Triggered much?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is the damn internet... if someone gets butthurt about a post, then they have an issue... I still can't wrap my head around how people take things to heart or literally when venturing into the abyss of the interwebs... and let's not forget that SDN is anonymous which stops the potential for personal attacks...
I know, right?

#ironic-****-posting

Triggered much?

Uh, guys?

Hey.

Please don't call out other members and keep this thread on topic.

There's a social thread /forum for unrelated talk and if you can't keep discourse respectful and professional, well, there are plenty of other venues on the internet for that.

Reactions: 10 users
But back on track again.. wasn't calling anyone out earlier.. just making a point lol

A girl I met while waiting for my pre-med advisor told me she was going to get 7 "really strong LORs". She also told me she had been "shadowing a few doctors, working at a doctor's office, and helping out with her sorority". I pressed her about maybe considering getting 4-5 strong ones since it didn't seem like she could muster 7 "really strong LORs" from her list of experiences, but she was really adamant about this assertion. When I said, "It would probably be best to avoid getting your LORs from a few doctors you only interacted with for less than 20 hours.." she scoffed at the notion, turned her head forward, tilled her nose up, looked straight ahead (it was like something out of a bad high school movie) and goes "nah, I'll definitely get 7..."

I let it go and let her think what she wanted...

"And also, I can't feel anything either, did I mention that?"

I was talking with a friend the other day who asked about where I am in the pre-med process, and we got to talking about personal statements and ECs and other stuff.

The advice he gave me was to never talk about any struggles I faced because it would make them pity me and lose respect for me, then continued to talk about how he focused his primary on his interest in the money and lifestyle, and that they would respect him for being honest.
He also said not to talk about my art even if it makes me unique because it sounds super boring to him and they will think its boring too, and that all they want to see is medical related activities.
He also told me not to worry about finding physicians to shadow because it's not important for the application, that you will learn about what they do when you get accepted.

He has applied twice and has been rejected to all schools both times. I kept a serious face when he was talking but I was dying inside lol

Reactions: 14 users
I was talking with a friend the other day who asked about where I am in the pre-med process, and we got to talking about personal statements and ECs and other stuff.

The advice he gave me was to never talk about any struggles I faced because it would make them pity me and lose respect for me, then continued to talk about how he focused his primary on his interest in the money and lifestyle, and that they would respect him for being honest.
He also said not to talk about my art even if it makes me unique because it sounds super boring to him and they will think its boring too, and that all they want to see is medical related activities.
He also told me not to worry about finding physicians to shadow because it's not important for the application, that you will learn about what they do when you get accepted.

He has applied twice and has been rejected to all schools both times. I kept a serious face when he was talking but I was dying inside lol

Poor guy. Did you try to correct him, or is he one of those always right guys?

But back on track again.. wasn't calling anyone out earlier.. just making a point lol

A girl I met while waiting for my pre-med advisor told me she was going to get 7 "really strong LORs". She also told me she had been "shadowing a few doctors, working at a doctor's office, and helping out with her sorority". I pressed her about maybe considering getting 4-5 strong ones since it didn't seem like she could muster 7 "really strong LORs" from her list of experiences, but she was really adamant about this assertion. When I said, "It would probably be best to avoid getting your LORs from a few doctors you only interacted with for less than 20 hours.." she scoffed at the notion, turned her head forward, tilled her nose up, looked straight ahead (it was like something out of a bad high school movie) and goes "nah, I'll definitely get 7..."

University of Utah SOM requires 6 letters. If she was applying there it wouldn't be crazy.

University of Utah SOM requires 6 letters. If she was applying there it wouldn't be crazy.

Last edited:
Poor guy. Did you try to correct him, or is he one of those always right guys?
He is definitely one of those always right guys, always talks over you and doesn't let you correct him lol
I didn't have to correct him because it turns out he isn't going to apply again, and instead is pursuing other options.

I recently messaged a friend, and suggested we take physics together. Her response

"I'm taking my science classes summer and winter". Keep in mind she has only completed Bio 1, Chem 1, bio 2, Chem 2, with a C or below.

:smack::smack::smack:

I think it needed to be said. It's in the interest of having an engaging forum. Pointless posts, which take up space but offer no contribution in one way or another, should be discouraged.
Idk about all that. If every thread ONLY had relevant info, more often than not, they'd probably be a few posts long. That'd be fine but given that I get entertained by seeing people call out ignorance, pointlessness, redundancy, and stupidity, I'd be less amused when I'm on here.:whistle:

Besides, the value of any given post is very subjective, most people probably do think they only write quality material, so it'd be near impossible to prevent posts that individuals other than the poster see as objectively worthless.

lol I was really hoping he was being sarcastic, I guess not. :smack:

Idk about all that. If every thread ONLY had relevant info, more often than not, they'd probably be a few posts long. That'd be fine but given that I get entertained by seeing people call out ignorance, pointlessness, redundancy, and stupidity, I'd be less amused when I'm on here.:whistle:

Besides, the value of any given post is very subjective, most people probably do think they only write quality material, so it'd be near impossible to prevent posts that individuals other than the poster see as objectively worthless.

If you want to talk about this, go to the social thread. A mod has already warned us to stay on topic.

This isn't from a pre-med, but rather a physician unfortunately. I was talking with her when I was in the process of studying for the MCAT.

Me: So I'm looking at going to med school. Where did you go?

Her: SGU, I graduated 2012

Me: *cringing inwardly* oh did you like it? What led you to go there.

Her: yeah it was a good school, well I finished undergrad early and wanted to start med school right away so it seemed like the best option. (There's the delayed gratification issue that's always talked about).

Me:So I'm looking to apply MD/DO...if my only option ends up being DO, do you think that would be ok or would it be better to get an MD in the Carib? (I was testing her at this point)

Her: oh I would get the MD it's a better degree to have in the long run

Being uninformed isn't just a pre-med thing LOL

Reactions: 13 users
Last year a few med schools set up booths in one of the main science buildings on campus. A friend of mine wanted to go down the line and look at all of them, which led us to a caribbean schools booth. Out of curiousity, I asked what the average MCAT score was. The woman confidently told us that the average MCAT was "something around a 540." My friend and I left the booth like o_Oo_Oo_O

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
It was 6 a couple years ago or 5 if 1 letter covered two topics. I just remember it because it seemed excessive and made me not want to apply there.

IIRC they changed it 1-2 years to 4 letters because 6 was just way too many.

@AntsInMyEyes_Johnson I may have told you this already, but you definitely have one of the unranked top five best usernames ever.

On Topic: I once unmatched a solid 8.5 because she was insistent on telling me that she was currently attending medical school to become a PA - at community college. I asked the obvious questions at first, and then she tried to explain to me what medical school is as if I didn't know.

I really wonder what it's like to be so oblivious...I imagine it's like being partly anesthetized 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 18 users
@AntsInMyEyes_Johnson I may have told you this already, but you definitely have one of the unranked top five best usernames ever.

On Topic: I once unmatched a solid 8.5 because she was insistent on telling me that she was currently attending medical school to become a PA - at community college. I asked the obvious questions at first, and then she tried to explain to me what medical school is as if I didn't know.

I really wonder what it's like to be so oblivious...I imagine it's like being partly anesthetized 24/7.

How hot would she have to be for you to just ignore it and agree with her? 9? 9.5? :shifty:

I feel like this may be the downside to being good looking. No one ever wants to call you out when you are totally ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

How hot would she have to be for you to just ignore it and agree with her? 9? 9.5? :shifty:
for every ε>0 does there exist a δ>0 st x∈D with 0<|x-attending community college for PA school which she called med school|<δ
you get
|f(x)-10|<ε?

Reactions: 6 users
"I knew medicine was what I wanted to devote my life to the minute impersonated a medical student and healed patients with my own two hands! The way the physician said "Who are you?! Why are you touching my patient?!" Was one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. I had impressed him so much he forgot who I was! The way the police dragged me out of the building really re-affirmed my appreciation for the serious nature of the craft."

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users