"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me: "I'm going off to med school next year"
Random person: "You don't look that young to me".
Me (~4 years above average matriculant age):
tumblr_m4ttcuMi511r0ycx6.gif
The struggle is real. Stay strong!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I'm going to man up and share a stupid pre-med try-hard story ... of myself...

Our school has a policy for first semester freshmen that allows them to have an extended add-drop deadline, so they can take longer to decide whether they wanted to stay in a class. I was taking Honors Calc 3, which was heavily proof based, and I feared that I wouldn't be able to get an A. When I heard about the extended add-drop deadline, I remarked to a classmate about how I was probably going to drop this class at the last moment because I was probably going to get an A-, and that might have ruined my 4.0 GPA (which I thought was absolutely essential for medical school). Because I had Honors Orgo and another Honors writing class, I thought this was a "smart" decision. The look that the guy gave me was of absolute disgust, lol.

So, I did end up 4.0-ing that first year. Little did I know that I would get absolutely destroyed junior year (C's and D's level of destroyed), so all b*tching about A's didn't matter in the long run. I also came to realize that clinical involvement and patient interaction were far more effective in solidifying my application than grades were. I'm not undervaluing the importance of a high GPA, just that there were far more effective things that I could have done with my time.

Very true! A 4.0 doesn't guarantee you a single thing in this endeavor!

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I'm going to man up and share a stupid pre-med try-hard story ... of myself...

Our school has a policy for first semester freshmen that allows them to have an extended add-drop deadline, so they can take longer to decide whether they wanted to stay in a class. I was taking Honors Calc 3, which was heavily proof based, and I feared that I wouldn't be able to get an A. When I heard about the extended add-drop deadline, I remarked to a classmate about how I was probably going to drop this class at the last moment because I was probably going to get an A-, and that might have ruined my 4.0 GPA (which I thought was absolutely essential for medical school). Because I had Honors Orgo and another Honors writing class, I thought this was a "smart" decision. The look that the guy gave me was of absolute disgust, lol.

So, I did end up 4.0-ing that first year. Little did I know that I would get absolutely destroyed junior year (C's and D's level of destroyed), so all b*tching about A's didn't matter in the long run. I also came to realize that clinical involvement and patient interaction were far more effective in solidifying my application than grades were. I'm not undervaluing the importance of a high GPA, just that there were far more effective things that I could have done with my time.
Don't feel bad. Most of us were like that freshman year (whether or not we want to admit it haha) because we had just finished acing high school and were still in that mode of expecting A's. One of my pre med friends at a different university even said that some of the advisors at his school will try to encourage students to give up on med school if they don't have a 4.0.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel bad. Most of us were like that freshman year (whether or not we want to admit it haha) because we had just finished acing high school and were still in that mode of expecting A's. One of my pre med friends at a different university even said that some of the advisors at his school will try to encourage students to give up on med school if they don't have a 4.0.
Given the large amount of bad premed advisor stories on here, I can't help but wonder if some amazing future doctors have been turned away from medicine by poor advice. It reminds me of this poem where the narrator walks through a cemetery and wonders what achievements the interred could have accomplished had they lived longer. I forgot the name...

Edit: nvm, poem was "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" and the line that struck me was: "some mute inglorious Milton here may rest." Something like that.

Last edited:
So around last August, I had a conversation with my pre-med friend that went something like this:

Me: "Hey, I heard you're applying to med school this cycle! Me too!"
Him: "Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about my app. Got a 39 on my MCAT, and finally have enough volunteer hours."
Me: "That's awesome! So have you submitted all your secondaries yet?"
Him: "Nah, man, my primaries aren't even in. And we've got months until the deadline....maybe in like October I'll get around to it."
Me: "Oh....I've heard applying that late can be a pretty serious disadvantage. Maybe think about submitting sometime this month?"
Him: "Haha no way, you know I'm a last-minute kind of guy!"

I couldn't convince him to apply early, so he was complete at most schools in November. Even with a 39/3.9 and multiple pubs from a top 5 undergrad, he only got one interview out of 20 applications, which led to a WL-->rejection. I just spoke to him about reapplying this cycle, and he said "I think I'll submit earlier this time....maybe late September or something. Or October. Or whatever. I'm not too worried about it." I'm starting to get the impression that he doesn't even want to go to med school. He's too smart of a guy to be this clueless....it must be self-sabotage, right?

Reactions: 10 users
So around last August, I had a conversation with my pre-med friend that went something like this:

Him: "Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about my app. Got a 39 on my MCAT, and finally have enough volunteer hours."
Him: "Nah, man, my primaries aren't even in. And we've got months until the deadline....maybe in like October I'll get around to it."
Me: "Oh....I've heard applying that late can be a pretty serious disadvantage. Maybe think about submitting sometime this month?"

I couldn't convince him to apply early, so he was complete at most schools in November. Even with a 39/3.9 and multiple pubs from a top 5 undergrad, he only got one interview out of 20 applications, which led to a WL-->rejection. I just spoke to him about reapplying this cycle, and he said "I think I'll submit earlier this time....maybe late September or something. Or October. Or whatever. I'm not too worried about it." I'm starting to get the impression that he doesn't even want to go to med school. He's too smart of a guy to be this clueless....it must be self-sabotage, right?
Narcissistic personality disorder?

Narcissistic personality disorder?

It's entirely possible, could explain the odd behavior. I've certainly never seen him express humility or self-doubt. Then again, he has a lot to be proud of, he's done some impressive things. His application would have blow mine out of the water, had he actually applied early enough to merit consideration. But in general he's a pretty good/chill guy (despite some arrogance), so if he does have a personality disorder, it's a mild and inoffensive one.

It's entirely possible, could explain the odd behavior. I've certainly never seen him express humility or self-doubt. Then again, he has a lot to be proud of, he's done some impressive things. His application would have blow mine out of the water, had he actually applied early enough to merit consideration. But in general he's a pretty good/chill guy (despite some arrogance), so if he does have a personality disorder, it's a mild and inoffensive one.
I'm totally speculating here, but maybe they're afraid of the possibility of failure.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm totally speculating here, but maybe they're afraid of the possibility of failure.

Hmm, you could have something there....If he doesnt apply on time, there isn't even a possibility of success, thus rejection isn't really failure? Or maybe he's too scared to bite the bullet and apply in the first place, so he puts it off until last minute?

All speculation, we need someone from the psychiatry sub-forum to help us out haha.

My goodness, this guy is me! (I mean, a me with better stats, but still...) I've kind of been expecting some people who I know frequent this website to post about everything I did wrong, including submitting late. As for why I submitted late, it was definitely largely what @freak7 said.

Hmm, you could have something there....If he doesnt apply on time, there isn't even a possibility of success, thus rejection isn't really failure? Or maybe he's too scared to bite the bullet and apply in the first place, so he puts it off until last minute?

All speculation, we need someone from the psychiatry sub-forum to help us out haha.
My goodness, this guy is me! (I mean, a me with better stats, but still...) I've kind of been expecting some people who I know frequent this website to post about everything I did wrong, including submitting late. As for why I submitted late, it was definitely largely what @freak7 said.
Yeah submitting late might give them something to blame their failure on so they don't have to take responsibility.

Definitely stinks of self-sabotage!

Reactions: 4 users
I actually feel bad
for him ,though....Imagine being that qualified but being that afraid you'll fail....

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitting late sounds like self-destructive tendencies, which is also a part of narcissism....

And it's not like you can't be successful and narcissistic. I'm sure we'll all meet at least one doctor who is.

andddd back on topic...

Some random guy approached me after class:

Classmate: "Hey, so you're trying to go to med school, right?"
Me: "Yup, hopefully."
Classmate: "Gotcha.. and you're into neuroscience and stuff, right?"
Me: "Yeah, why? Are you thinking about doing neuroscience research?"
Classmate: "Well, I want to become a psychiatrist, but I'm a junior, so I know I'm a bit late in the game."
Me: "I mean, that's fine a lot of people realize they want become a doctor as upperclassmen, what have you done so far?"
Classmate: "Only Bio, and nothing else.. but I'm really passionate about being a psychiatrist cause I'm a psychology major.."
Me: "Oh, me too.. well, you can probably apply and do a post-bacc.. (thinking about where he stands in the general timeline, but realizing somethings off).. but you might want to explore medicine a bit more. Are you sure you're ready to take this path?"
(I could see that this guy had no idea why he wanted to be a psychiatrist.. the following shed some light..)
Classmate: "Well, you make like over $200,000 a year and it's psychology mixed with medicine. I like those things, so why not, right?"
Me: ....... "I don't want to sound mean when I ask this.. but do you know how long it takes to become a psychiatrist?"
Classmate: "Yeah, just the 4 years of medical school, right?"
Me: (mind the fact that I was on 3 hours of sleep, but normally very willing to help fellow students with advice, this irked me a bit cause he clearly decided to come to me before doing any research of his own..) "No, its 4 years of medical school, followed by 4 years of residency, at a minimum. If you want to specialize and do a fellowship, that's another year or two, depending on what you want to do. Plus, some people take time off to do research. Also, you still need to do your pre-reqs and take the MCAT. So you're looking at 9-12 years of work to become a psychiatrist from now.. so again.. are you sure you're ready for that commitment?"
Classmate: (I kind of felt bad cause I had the same look on my face in sophomore year come over me as the information sunk in...) "Oh, that.. that changes things.. I got to think about that then.."

Haven't heard from the guy since.. I might have been a bit of an asshat.. but 4 years to be a psychiatrist after college.. someone had to tell the poor kid before he messed up his last year of undergrad

I have a friend who though that he get a degree in psychiatry and be a psychiatrist right after college. I'm like no that's not how it works. Even to be a psychologist you need either a master's degree, PhD or PsyD so there are additional years of school you need. He didn't believe me that a psychiatrist went to medical school.

• Haha
I have a friend who though that he get a degree in psychiatry and be a psychiatrist right after college. I'm like no that's not how it works. Even to be a psychologist you need either a master's degree, PhD or PsyD so there are additional years of school you need. He didn't believe me that a psychiatrist went to medical school.
Pretty sure you can't be a psychologist with a master's degree

Der Trumppenfuhrer sure wasn't hurt by malignant narcissism.

Submitting late sounds like self-destructive tendencies, which is also a part of narcissism....

And it's not like you can't be successful and narcissistic. I'm sure we'll all meet at least one doctor who is.

I have a relative who twice submitted late, no acceptances either time. Truly did want to go to med school, but just too stubborn to admit that applying early is necessary...and too stubborn to admit that their late way was wrong. Guess in the long run, we don't need more doctors who can't learn from mistakes and can't admit they're wrong.

Making the mistake the first cycle could have been chalked-up to thinking that the app process is like the undergrad app process....it's ok as long as you meet the deadline. Repeating the mistake is just being too stubborn to admit that "their way" was the wrong way.

Reactions: 7 users
I have a relative who twice submitted late, no acceptances either time. Truly did want to go to med school, but just too stubborn to admit that applying early is necessary...and too stubborn to admit that their late way was wrong. Guess in the long run, we don't need more doctors who can't learn from mistakes and can't admit they're wrong.

Making the mistake the first cycle could have been chalked-up to thinking that the app process is like the undergrad app process....it's ok as long as you meet the deadline. Repeating the mistake is just being too stubborn to admit that "their way" was the wrong way.
I'm sorry to say that I agree. The application itself is very serious test, and honestly it tests a lot of great things (although has some severe flaws). Anyone who can't meet the basics of having initiative probably would have more issues as an MD/DO. Best of luck to them!

I don't know if this classifies as less informed, but here we go.

Me: We have to wait a few minutes on a hot plate. Apparently the other one broke.
Girl: Apparently you weren't looking. This one works. *Tries to turn it on*
Me: Yeah, you're right. That is a balance though... *Holds back laughter*
Girl: Oh... Nvm.

FYI: We are both in Organic Chemistry. I'm wondering how she made it through Chem 1&2 :eyebrow:

I don't know if this classifies as less informed, but here we go.

Me: We have to wait a few minutes on a hot plate. Apparently the other one broke.
Girl: Apparently you weren't looking. This one works. *Tries to turn it on*
Me: Yeah, you're right. That is a balance though... *Holds back laughter*
Girl: Oh... Nvm.

FYI: We are both in Organic Chemistry. I'm wondering how she made it through Chem 1&2 :eyebrow:

Roflmao. "Your secret is safe with me"

*immediately posts about it on SDN*

Wait, so the person got access with no badge, so they decided to cancel badge access for all current students and then tell everyone to challenge people without badges? That is so backwards and dumb there aren't even words...when you cancel badge access for a lot of people with legitimate reason to be there, you make it normal to have to open doors for people and let them in, which makes it more common to do so without checking credentials.

Also, how is it the medical students' faults that someone unrelated pretended to be them?

Reactions: 11 users
Wait, so the person got access with no badge, so they decided to cancel badge access for all current students and then tell everyone to challenge people without badges? That is so backwards and dumb there aren't even words...when you cancel badge access for a lot of people with legitimate reason to be there, you make it normal to have to open doors for people and let them in, which makes it more common to do so without checking credentials.

Also, how is it the medical students' faults that someone unrelated pretended to be them?
I think they meant, as this investigation continues, they have suspended badge acess for legit Medical students, but they meant that in order to have prevented this from happening, the staff should have been more careful allowing in people who don't have badges. The wording in the article is weird but that makes way more sense. So I guess the medical students themselves are barred from the hospital, temporarily.
@Princeton Medical Student I actually feel a bit bad for her...this is sort of like the Kid who shoplifts one time when they're 15 and ruin their futures, but maybe I'm just a major sap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I think they meant, as this investigation continues, they have suspended badge acess for legit Medical students, but they meant that in order to have prevented this from happening, the staff should have been more careful allowing in people who don't have badges. The wording in the article is weird but that makes way more sense. So I guess the medical students themselves are barred from the hospital, temporarily.
@Princeton Medical Student I actually feel a bit bad for her...this is sort of like the Kid who shoplifts one time when they're 15 and ruin their futures, but maybe I'm just a major sap.
Yes and no...they've suspended badge access for legit medical students and told the staff not to allow unbadged people through access points - the latter of which would definitely have been good advice in preventing this in the first place.

My point is that suspending badge access for legit medical students is not only unfair to the medical students, but it's also dumb and counterproductive as a security measure.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes and no...they've suspended badge access for legit medical students and told the staff not to allow unbadged people through access points - the latter of which would definitely have been good advice in preventing this in the first place.

My point is that suspending badge access for legit medical students is not only unfair to the medical students, but it's also dumb and counterproductive as a security measure.

Agreed. Suspending badge access for medical students is completely unrelated to the incident. It wasn't a medical student who went somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. It was an undergrad who got access because the staff was lazy.

But that's how things go. Group A breaks rules. Punish groups A and B because group B happens to be tangentially related.

I actually feel a bit bad for her...this is sort of like the Kid who shoplifts one time when they're 15 and ruin their futures, but maybe I'm just a major sap.
Yeah but this is an 18 yo who decided that it would be a great idea to impersonate a healthcare provider in a clinical setting, that's some *real* bad ethics on her part, without any reasonable excuse for doing so.

Also, I'm in agreement with the ridiculous outcome of suspending all badge access if the imposter was able to do everything without a badge, I had originally thought they might have swiped it from someone or made a copy. [In the video of the news article, it looks as if she did have something resembling a badge, which would make sense to suspend current badge access so that they could see if there were any other counterfeits]

Yeah but this is an 18 yo who decided that it would be a great idea to impersonate a healthcare provider in a clinical setting, that's some *real* bad ethics on her part, without any reasonable excuse for doing so.

Also, I'm in agreement with the ridiculous outcome of suspending all badge access if the imposter was able to do everything without a badge, I had originally thought they might have swiped it from someone or made a copy. [In the video of the news article, it looks as if she did have something resembling a badge, which would make sense to suspend current badge access so that they could see if there were any other counterfeits]

A better solution would be to train staff to recognize a fake badge and have them actually check them. Like they should have been doing in the first place.

"Loznik’s Facebook page says she works as a research scientist at CU Anschutz and studies neurosciences at CU-Denver. However, the university said she is actually a freshman biology major who enrolled in January."

I just had a good chuckle when I read that
That is the most freshman pre-med thing I have read all year.

Reactions: 17 users
A better solution would be to train staff to recognize a fake badge and have them actually check them.
Obviously this needs to be done in conjunction with their current plan. It could have even been possible that she was issued a real badge due to poor bookkeeping in the hospital, going off of the instagram photos she posted while in scrubs, the badge looks convincing enough that it might have actually been issued by the hospital accidentally. Also, I doubt that the re-verification process of current badge holders will not take a lengthy amount of time, and things will blow over soon. They're not going to kick out all of their medical students for weeks.

Obviously this needs to be done in conjunction with their current plan. It could have even been possible that she was issued a real badge due to poor bookkeeping in the hospital, going off of the instagram photos she posted while in scrubs, the badge looks convincing enough that it might have actually been issued by the hospital accidentally. Also, I doubt that the re-verification process of current badge holders will not take a lengthy amount of time, and things will blow over soon. They're not going to kick out all of their medical students for weeks.

You are grossly underestimating the evil that school administrators are capable of.

Trust me. This is not the same as shoplifting when you're 15, and committing petty theft at 15 does not ruin your life.

Silver-lining: Mandatory vacation for M3/4s since they have no access to their clerkship sites haha

Simulators only. Students are assessed on their ability to memorize random facts and not piss their pants when a wannabe actor pretending to have chlamydia after sleeping with her drug dealer goes ape **** on them.

I dunno man. I am a freshman and I doubt Id be enough of an idiot to do something like this. Almost seems like some psychological issue here. I mean wtf why lie about your undergrad major even.

Before early morning physics class, unsolicited-to-no-one-mouth-vomit breaks the silence.
Unfortunate premed: Anyone else going to med school?
Peanut gallery: sure, i guess, etc.
Unfortunate Premed: Yeah, me too...life story... more vomit
Curious student: Aren't you a nursing major?
Unfortunate premed: Yeah, i'm nursing/pre-med. I'm doing both.
Sorry he asked student: oh, ok.

Later that semester, during the final exam, after Unfortunate premed had received exam grades with a range of 30-55.
Unfortunate premed (with hand in air): Professor, how do we go from grams to kilograms again?
Professor, after stunned silence: Um, I can't really answer that, since this is an exam.
Unfortunate premed: (Presents cleavage)
Professor: let me check your dimensional analysis
Me in my head: I bet you will
Unfortunate premed gets a C in the class.

The next year, unfortunate premed fails some nursing clinical stuff or whatever and gets dropped from the program.
Unfortunate premed: I'm so glad I can finally focus on medschool
Concerned friend: I think medschools can see your transcript, and failing clinicals might be a red flag for them, what are your thoughts?
Unfortunate premed: My boyfriend is a resident and he says I'll be fine. No one cares about nursing. besides my gpa is fine.
Me, can't hold back anymore: What is your GPA? I had that one physics class with you a while back, I know it didn't go so great.
Unfortunate premed: No its fine, like 2.6, but I'm sure it'll go up a little bit. My boyfriend says its fine 'casue he can put my name on publications to make up for it.
Me: have you looked up the AAMC tables that shows date for gpa/mcat blah blah blah.
Unfortunate Premed: No, I don't even care. You don't even need the MCAT for lots of schools.

The reason I share this story is to illustrate the journey I went on, from enjoying many a laugh/gossip session at Unfortunate premed's expense, to feeling genuinely sorry for her. Perhaps we should help these poor souls? I dunno.

But I boosted my empathy by like +5 XP points.

Reactions: 13 users