For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you get an apartment in the Ben Franklin building? Do you know if they have 1 BRs?

Members don't see this ad.

lightnk102 said:
i have verizon and i haven't had any problems in the philadelphia area. my mom works at jefferson and her verizon phone doesn't have problems either. i think you'd be okay with any cell phone carrier you opt for.

i'd like to find out about housing soon as well. i've been collecting used furniture off of craig's list.

i think verizons the best for the east coast... its way better than other carriers in nyc.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of this talk about apartments made me think ahead for a second to our third year. Does anyone know anything about the housing situation for students doing rotations outside of Philadelphia? Does Jefferson provide housing or is it up to us? It would suck to be paying $1000/month for a place in Philly and then have to pay for an apartment in Pittsburgh or Danville or somewhere like that.

Hey everyone, I just sent in my accpetance to Jefferson yesterday. I have been looking around for apartments and what not. I wish orientation was not Aug. 1st. That doesn't give much moving in time. But I am soooo excited about coming. Also, I was wondering where i can find the info for the whitecoat ceremony and orientation acticities online. I was on pulse, but didn't see any of i. Was I not looking in the right place?

almostdoc1 said:
Hey everyone, I just sent in my accpetance to Jefferson yesterday. I have been looking around for apartments and what not. I wish orientation was not Aug. 1st. That doesn't give much moving in time. But I am soooo excited about coming. Also, I was wondering where i can find the info for the whitecoat ceremony and orientation acticities online. I was on pulse, but didn't see any of i. Was I not looking in the right place?

Congrats on your acceptance! Here's the link to the white coat info...

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matri.cfm

Sorry to bother you guys again. I noticed some threads talking about a reading list. Where are you getting this information from? I didn't get anything from Jeff mentioning a reading list. Thanks for any answers.

Its just one book for the humanities class. Check out page 10 of the forum for the name of it.

afr0dite01 said:
Its just one book for the humanities class. Check out page 10 of the forum for the name of it.

Thanks for the info. I don't need to start reading for humanities classes though, its the anatomy that I need to worry about. LOL!!

Speaking of anatomy... anyone know what books we need for the first block? I am going to be out of the country for almost all of july... i'd like to order them now (online cuz they're cheaper that way) before I go... that way i'll have them by the time class starts...

THANKS! :)

AmieJ5757 said:
Speaking of anatomy... anyone know what books we need for the first block? I am going to be out of the country for almost all of july... i'd like to order them now (online cuz they're cheaper that way) before I go... that way i'll have them by the time class starts...

THANKS! :)

i'm in the same boat. i get back 10 days before August 1st and have to pack up all my crap to move. I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the books when I get back. I'm sure they have some sort of syllabi I can survive off of until the books come in. I'm more concerned about the housing. I hope I hear from them before I go abroad. I'm sure they'll need my signature on leases and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
lightnk... hey yeah... i leave on june 30 and get back on the 28th of july (YIKES) I too need to hear from someone... I still haven't heard from the med frat... a week or so ago i emailed them and they said that they were waiting for some people in the house to get back in town to make final decisions... so i am still waiting to hear a yes or no from them (i know your last post said you hadn't heard either... still the same deal?)... and i'm hoping to hear from the on campus people incase the frat doesn't work out.... and if that's too expensive i need to start shopping ASAP... kinda a lot to deal with in the next couple of weeks...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Where are you going? I'm backpacking southeast asia! :) Hope you have a blast cuz we're going to be studyin' hard pretty soon!

AmieJ5757 said:
lightnk... hey yeah... i leave on june 30 and get back on the 28th of july (YIKES) I too need to hear from someone... I still haven't heard from the med frat... a week or so ago i emailed them and they said that they were waiting for some people in the house to get back in town to make final decisions... so i am still waiting to hear a yes or no from them (i know your last post said you hadn't heard either... still the same deal?)... and i'm hoping to hear from the on campus people incase the frat doesn't work out.... and if that's too expensive i need to start shopping ASAP... kinda a lot to deal with in the next couple of weeks...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Where are you going? I'm backpacking southeast asia! :) Hope you have a blast cuz we're going to be studyin' hard pretty soon!

I was hoping to hear from on-campus housing before i left for my trip. This way, I have a backup at least and won't be living in a box in the streets. I haven't heard from the frats either. It's good to know you're in the same boat. I was starting to wonder whether the lack of response was a veiled rejection. But looks like there's still hope! I've started looking at off-campus housing through Craig's List but haven't found anything yet though it's made me fall in love with the neighborhood even more.

I'm backpacking Costa Rica/Panama/possibly Nicaragua. I had considered SEAsia, but I decided that with the tsunami so recent, I'd be better off somewhere else. That and, a ticket to Costa Rica was a lot cheaper :). You'll have to let us know how SEASia goes! Anyone know when our school health insurance kicks in? I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it in case of injury or dismemberment abroad...

I was down in the Jefferson area today apartment shopping. I love the area, but it is definately hard to find a decent place close. What is this Craig's List I keep hearing about? Also, does anyone know if any utilities are included in on campus housing. I know that internet is inluded. I can give info on the places I checked out today too, if anyone needs it. Thanks.

almostdoc1 said:
I was down in the Jefferson area today apartment shopping. I love the area, but it is definately hard to find a decent place close. What is this Craig's List I keep hearing about? Also, does anyone know if any utilities are included in on campus housing. I know that internet is inluded. I can give info on the places I checked out today too, if anyone needs it. Thanks.

www.craigslist.com - Click on Philadelphia (on the right) and you can search for apts (and a lot of other stuff). Utilities - except electric - are included with campus housing. I was apt hunting in Philly yesterday, too. Did you have any luck?

Not really. I am going back down next Sat. I have a low price range, so it is tough to find a good place close. Some of the places I am looking at next week are in the art museum area, so it's a little further away. I'm not sure if I like that. I looked at the embassy, the adelphia house, and arts towers. Nothing impressed me, and I have some low standards. Did you have any luck? On campus housing is so expensive. I am also from north jersey, so I do not know the philly area at all. New York is the city that I am familar with. I guess I just need to keep looking. I'll let you know if I have any luck, or see anywhere I think that is worth checking out. The adelphia house wasn't bad. Just old.

almostdoc1 said:
Not really. I am going back down next Sat. I have a low price range, so it is tough to find a good place close. Some of the places I am looking at next week are in the art museum area, so it's a little further away. I'm not sure if I like that. I looked at the embassy, the adelphia house, and arts towers. Nothing impressed me, and I have some low standards. Did you have any luck? On campus housing is so expensive. I am also from north jersey, so I do not know the philly area at all. New York is the city that I am familar with. I guess I just need to keep looking. I'll let you know if I have any luck, or see anywhere I think that is worth checking out. The adelphia house wasn't bad. Just old.

Too bad about the arts towers, I was planning on checking it out tomorrow. What didn't you like about it? I am actually considering buying a condo or a row home in South Philly. I just walked around South Philly yesterday noting homes for sale, I'm checking it out online today and hopefully will see it in person tomorrow or later this week. I'll keep you updated as well.

almostdoc1 said:

I haven't been having any trouble finding available housing in the Jefferson area. There's tons of "Apt. for Rent" signs within a 3 block radius. The apartments I've looked at have generally been more upscale than I expected (hardwood floors, central a/c, dishwasher, duplexes, etc.). I haven't looked at any of the places you named, though they sound like highrise buildings. On-campus rent is just about right for Jefferson's neighborhood (it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city). What price range are you looking for?

If you want to go cheaper, check on Craig's List for places in Bella Vista or on Bainbridge/Kater. If you stay within a few blocks of South Street, you'll be relatively close to school. That's about 5 blocks away from Jefferson, but still closer than the Art Museum would be. Don't forget - cheaper rents usually mean not-as-nice places. Also, moving into an existing roommate situation will probably also save you money if you look in the "Roommate wanted" section of Craig's List.

That being said, I haven't found a place either. I'm looking for a place that's cheaper than on-campus housing, but still within a 3-block radius of school (I hate commmuting). It's the "utilities included" portion of on-campus rent that makes the difference. I might bite the bullet and live on-campus the first year since its the cheapest option and move out second year with classmates.

aingeal said:
Too bad about the arts towers, I was planning on checking it out tomorrow. What didn't you like about it? I am actually considering buying a condo or a row home in South Philly. I just walked around South Philly yesterday noting homes for sale, I'm checking it out online today and hopefully will see it in person tomorrow or later this week. I'll keep you updated as well.

Arts tower was nice. But they didn't have any 1 BR ready in time. Aug 10th or 20th was the best they could do. The studio was ok, but small. I just felt it would be too cramped. As of right now I am kind of leaning towards on campus, just because I don't know philly at all. That way I can be class to school and other students until I get better aquainted with the city. But the price is killing me. Although, I guess it is not bad for being right in the heart of center city. I'll let you know if I see anything of interest on Sat. I might even go down on Fri.

lightnk102 said:
I haven't been having any trouble finding available housing in the Jefferson area. There's tons of "Apt. for Rent" signs within a 3 block radius. The apartments I've looked at have generally been more upscale than I expected (hardwood floors, central a/c, dishwasher, duplexes, etc.). I haven't looked at any of the places you named, though they sound like highrise buildings. On-campus rent is just about right for Jefferson's neighborhood (it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city). What price range are you looking for?

If you want to go cheaper, check on Craig's List for places in Bella Vista or on Bainbridge/Kater. If you stay within a few blocks of South Street, you'll be relatively close to school. That's about 5 blocks away from Jefferson, but still closer than the Art Museum would be. Don't forget - cheaper rents usually mean not-as-nice places. Also, moving into an existing roommate situation will probably also save you money if you look in the "Roommate wanted" section of Craig's List.

That being said, I haven't found a place either. I'm looking for a place that's cheaper than on-campus housing, but still within a 3-block radius of school (I hate commmuting). It's the "utilities included" portion of on-campus rent that makes the difference. I might bite the bullet and live on-campus the first year since its the cheapest option and move out second year with classmates.

Seems like we are thinking the same thing. The buildings I checked out were high rises. I just staarted looking around on craigs list. But I also want to be in walking distance to the school. I may be bringing my car down, but not to commute to school. I want it there in case I need to get home for any reason, or if I get a job that is not in walking distance to center city. I am looking into working at the baseball stadium, and I have no idea where that is in relation to the shcool. So a car might be helpful for that. The highest I want to pay is around $850, but the cheaper the better. I do't have high standards, I lived off campus at rutgers in a real dump. But the places I looked at were incredibly small, as in like a closet small. I am really thinking about bting the bullet and living on campus also. But like I said in my previous post, I will keep anyone posted if I find anything that seems to be of interest. My other problem with on campus housing is that I want to live in one of the apartment complexes, not the dorm styled living. I did that in college, and my floor the girls were absolute slobs in the bathroom, that scarred me for life! Plus I really like cooking and would love my own kitchen.

Hey y'all. I took the trip up to Philly yesterday to check out some housing. I too looked at adelphia, arts tower and the embassy. I lived in the smallest room ever in New Orleans and I couldn't believe the size of the places I was seeing for like 700/month (without internet and requiring renters insurance)... they were the tiniest things I've ever seen... I think I'm pretty sold on living on campus. I looked at one of the orlowitz 1 bed rooms and they're very nice. One of those would be ideal (actually a studio would be better but they're hard to get I hear). I think it's best to get to know people before living with them, and to get to know the city before settling elsewhere. For those of you from Philly, I'm envious. But, it's all so new to me I think I'm just going to "bite the bullett" as well and take an on campus place.

almostdoc -- I think the only place that would be completely "dorm-like" is martin.. orlowitz and barringer are very nice. :)

Lightningk -- hope your trip goes well... I look forward to hearing about it in August... I'll let ya know about Asia... getting excited ;) The med frat did make their decisions sunday night (no luck for me) so hopefully you heard better news... It was worth a shot... I hope you don't get dismembered on your travels :) I know you can purchase health insurance specifically for abroad for a couple of bucks a day (I'm on a plan that covers it so I don't need it but a friend of mine is doing that)... or try looking into STA because I know you get some sort of insurance and coverage in the case of a horrible accident for purchasing a student travel membership (like 25 bucks)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! See you soon... :)

I saw tons of placse for around 700-800 that were pretty nice. including a 1 BR for $800 right on 11th and Pine, and a studio for $675 a half block from school. I wasn't looking in highrises though. Those tend to be super pricey. I favor rowhomes or brownstones and such. I didn't take the studio because I decided that I hate studios, and if I was going to live alone, it'd have to be a 1 BR. I'm taking a look at two 1-BR's today for ~$700.

You guys should really take a look at Craig's List. You don't wnat to live in a highrise because ther'es tons of fees added in (and they're more pricey). Good luck!

Oh, and I still never heard from the frats :confused: . if they decided on Sunday, they never told me the results. I wish I could find out already so I know whether I should seriously be looking for housing or not. After receiving 10+ rejections for med school, receiving a fraternity rejection should be cake ;) .

When are you guys moving in? I was hoping to start the lease in Aug and movein Aug 1st, but I'll be missing the first day of events. Do you think we're going to haev to pay full July rent if we move in the 30th or 31st?

I think that on-campus housing is actually a pretty good deal. 1BR in orlowitz is $865, with internet/heat/hot water/trash included. The only things you'd have to get extra are cable TV (which I don't think I'm gonna get right away, probably not my first year at all) and electric. You probably won't find a 1BR much cheaper than that in center city. I also thought the building was decent and the apts were pretty nice.

No one knows when they are supposed to start letting us know about if we got apartments do you?

Oh...and just to vent for a second. I went down to Jeff on Mon. to try to get a parking permit. They were out of applications and she told me to check back periodically cuz they were getting more in. And then she told me that there was typically a 2-8 month waiting period after you fill out the applications before you get your permit. What do they expect students to do in the meantime?? :mad:

Ok, I'm done, thanks for listening. :)

I was in center city Monday to check out housing. I was disappointed by studios in the Arts Tower and the Chancellor - both were far too small for the price as mentioned above. (Plus, the real estate agent couldn't even open either door without significant struggle) I'm glad to have checked out my options in the Washington Square area as well as in South Philly and Bella Vista because it's sold me on Jefferson's housing deal. From what I've seen, nothing compares to Jeff when it comes to proximity, cleanliness, size, security, utilities and internet for the price.

I also stopped by the housing office on Monday. I was told that they had begun making housing assignments, and were up to those submitted in February.

Lightnk -- Like you're perspective on rejections. :)

The parking situation does suck... BAD! I think I'm just going without a car my first two years. I have one, but I'm going to keep it parked at home. Then, I'll drive it up for the last two years (we'll prob have to find a way to keep one at that point but can stay further from campus if we want)

I agree that on-campus seems to be a great deal. I was very against it at first, but I'm sold! :)

see ya'll soon!

Congrats. to everyone who will becoming to Jeff in a few months. Just finished up my first year on Tuesday!!! I have not been on SDN for a while because of neuro (course coord. is Dr. BRAINard) but I will try to answer some of the last few questions and any more you may have.

This is what we used this year.
1. Atlas of Human Anatomy - Frank Netter 3rd. ed.
2. Color Atlas of Anatomy - Johannes Rohen 5th ed.
3. Essential Clinical Anatomy - Keith Moore
4. BRS Gross Anatomy - Kyung Won Chung
5. The Developing Human - Moore and Persaud

The Netter Atlas is a MUST. Your baby. Don't try to buy a skimmed down version, a PT friend of mine told me her Netter's was much less extensive.

Color Atlas of Anatomy - This is more of an opitonal text. It is a photographic atlas (Netter is illustrations). I liked to use this the day before an exam (I went into lab a lot and was tired of going into lab by exam time) and served as a good quick review and the hour of two before the exam.

Dev. Human - Good book, very detailed, we didn't get into all the chapters but Dr. Schmidt tells you what to focus on. Necessary in my opinion, embryo. can be very confusing at times.

BRS (Board Review Series) - Good for review questions before the exam.

Moore Anatomy Text - This is the "mini" version but there is a much larger version of a similar title and same author. I think the text is essential to this class. First, the course coordinators lectures come from the larger Moore text. The larger one is way to detailed in my opinion, like most text books for med school. However, this class is the only one with out a syllabus, so a text helps you fill in the holes and get the complete picture with the help of the front/back notes and your lecture notes.

Dr. Schmidt give about 2/3 of the lectures. The class will be a little different this fall because the other prof. who gives a lot of the other lectures (including the ANS system, back, and arm/forearm) is teaching at another school next year.

AmieJ5757 said:
Lightnk -- Like you're perspective on rejections. :)

The parking situation does suck... BAD! I think I'm just going without a car my first two years. I have one, but I'm going to keep it parked at home. Then, I'll drive it up for the last two years (we'll prob have to find a way to keep one at that point but can stay further from campus if we want)

I agree that on-campus seems to be a great deal. I was very against it at first, but I'm sold! :)

see ya'll soon!

I called housing and they told me that they won't be sending me my paperwork for signatures until July (I submitted in May). It sounds awfully close to August 1st, which makes me a little anxious. They said move-in would likely be between July 20 and August 1st. I'm more worried about the random roommate assignment than I am about the housing itself. If I'm looking for off-campus housing, I can at least meet the potential roommates beforehand. I had a bad experience freshman year with a particularly surly and dirty roommate. That and - living situations make a big difference in my quality of life. Or perceived quality of life.

My ideal apartment: A few blocks from campus. Hard-wood floors. Washer/dryer in building. Cozy living room (not too large otherwise it'll be expensive to furnish, but large enough to have small dinner parties). Lots of windows. In a cute brownstone/rowhome. $700 a month or under. Roommates.

Bonuses: Washer/dryer in the apartment itself. Molding. Fireplace. Exposed brick. Dishwasher. Utilities included. Personal bathroom.

I'll have to renew the search after first-year. The quest for the perfect apartment may be like the quest for the perfect man. Doesn't really exist :laugh: .

THANKS SJBX! That's very helpful! :)

In order to save myself some money as well as live with people I already know from undergrad, I decided to commute a bit to campus. So I'll probably be living in Roxborough. The good thing is that the train station is two blocks from Jeff and I wont have to drive but I can have my car near my place with no problems. This might only be a year but its something to think about. Hopefully, Ill still be able to party with all of you!

Thanks for the info on books! That was def. helpful!!!

1. Thank you for giving all that great info on anatomy books. If anyone happens to have info on books for other first year courses I am trying to purchase some of them now and I would appreciate the advice.

2. I talked to the housing office today and they said they were sending out house offers to people who applied in Dec-Feb currently. I applied in April and the housing rep said my info would be sent late june/early july.

-R

I applied for housing in mid/late May. Does anyone know the chances of getting a 1BR if you applied that late? Has anyone heard of people not getting one? I also am kind of weary about living with someone I don't know right off the bat, I have always knew my roommates in undergrad and don't think it would be a great time to try living with someone new.

Housing - I live on campus (Orlowitz), but either Barringer or Orlowitz are fine. I really like the campus housing and am staying here next year. First, the library is a 30 second walk and where you will have classes isn't much further. Personally, I did not want to look for an apartment and the ones they have are a good deal. Maybe slightly more expensive if you are a bargin hunter, but the location for me is worth it. Plus, Wawa and some other pizza/quick food places are close by. Superfresh is a 5 min. walk south. Market East and the Gallery is a 5 min. walk north.

From what I gather, they always have open apts., so if you want a 1BR, you probably will get one, even if you apply late. Orolowitz has many more rooms overall and has a lot more singles. Barringer has slightly more doubles. I wouldn't worry about getting a place on campus if you apply late.

Also, I think all the Barringer units have diswashers. Orlowitz 2 BR and 3 BRs have dishwashers, but the 1 BR units do not. This doesn't matter to most people, but it might to you.

I have only read the last few threads of this post but if you are thinking about brining a car, don't (IMO). First, you will pay an insane amount of $ to park here. Second, your insurance will go up. Third, and most important, you don't need a car (at least not MS 1 and 2). I highly doubt you will ever use it. Jeff is located right in center city - there are tons of great places in a short walking distance and cabs aren't that expensive when you want to go somewhere else or it is raining, cold, etc. I obvioulsy don't know the stiuation of every single person (228) in my class, but I only know of one person who had a car here, and it was only used a 1x a month on average.

kgoods5 said:
I applied for housing in mid/late May. Does anyone know the chances of getting a 1BR if you applied that late? Has anyone heard of people not getting one? I also am kind of weary about living with someone I don't know right off the bat, I have always knew my roommates in undergrad and don't think it would be a great time to try living with someone new.

I was just at the housing office today and the lady there seemed to think that thee was a very good chance of me getting a 1 BR even though I applied at the end of may/early june. I hope so!!!

Alright, thanks for your help everyone. Its hard not knowing until the last minute where you're going to live!

Received my ding from the frats yesterday. Looks like I'll have to keep searching. Congratulations to those who got it though, you lucky bastards :) .

My kingdom for good off-campus housing!

For those who've managed to take a look at apartments in Orlowitz and Barringer - how did you get in? I couldn't even get into the Jeff library today.

You can only get into the buildings during offce hours, mon-fri. They are really nice though.

Does anyone know where I can find an academic calendar for this year?

kgoods5 said:
Does anyone know where I can find an academic calendar for this year?

try looking on Pulse (my mom was able to find a primitive one -- such as "block 1 ends" on such a date. There should be a link on the home page) -- but don't expect any details until classes actually start. This past year schedules with test dates were posted disturbingly close to when the new block started, making it difficult to plan weekends out of town etc.

SJBX said:
This is what we used this year.
1. Atlas of Human Anatomy - Frank Netter 3rd. ed.
2. Color Atlas of Anatomy - Johannes Rohen 5th ed.
3. Essential Clinical Anatomy - Keith Moore
4. BRS Gross Anatomy - Kyung Won Chung
5. The Developing Human - Moore and Persaud

QUOTE]

Thanks for the info... is it okay to buy a prior edition for a book? my thinking is that anatomy doesnt change, so all editions should ahve the same info. and will we be able to buy these books from jeff students, or should we buy them online? thanks

I would at least try to get a hold of a recent ed. of each, though. I don't think it will be a problem becasue if you are like most of us, you will use the front/back notes and the powerpoints to see what to focus on and then use the atlas and text once you know what to study. The pages and figure numbers may not match up exactly, but that really shouldn't be a big deal.

davedavedave said:
Thanks for the info... is it okay to buy a prior edition for a book? my thinking is that anatomy doesnt change, so all editions should ahve the same info. and will we be able to buy these books from jeff students, or should we buy them online? thanks

So I was going through the information on the matriculate website today and I realized I was supposed to have my white coat form in already! Whoops! :eek: Oh well. It'll probably work out somehow I hope.

Anyway, for all those who are thinking about buying books, if you join the amsa group on campus and pay the dues, you get a free Netter. The student chapter of the AMA also offers something, a medical dictionary I believe. So if you're looking to buy books early, I would hold off on those to check out the offer.

An update on housing:

I visited the housing office today. The lady there was extraordinarily nice and peppy. She said they were up to April applications so far, so anyone applying in May should be hearing within the next few weeks. She also said that 3 bedrooms in Barringer were pretty much gone, and so were the 1 bedrooms (or was it the studios?), but that this could change as "gone" just means they've been assigned to people, but no lease has been signed yet. And, things change as people withdraw from Jefferson as the summer goes on and the waitlist moves.

Hi!

I just got the call from Dr. Callahan on Monday and I can't wait until I get my packet of information...I'm a little worried since someone else already said that they were late turning in one form.

I'm trying so hard to find an apartment. I might try to find something to buy within walking distance.

Can't wait to see all of you on August 1.

lightnk102 said:
An update on housing:

I visited the housing office today. The lady there was extraordinarily nice and peppy. She said they were up to April applications so far, so anyone applying in May should be hearing within the next few weeks. She also said that 3 bedrooms in Barringer were pretty much gone, and so were the 1 bedrooms (or was it the studios?), but that this could change as "gone" just means they've been assigned to people, but no lease has been signed yet. And, things change as people withdraw from Jefferson as the summer goes on and the waitlist moves.

Yeah, I visited the housing office other day too. She told me that it was the 1 bedrooms in barringer that were gone, I didn't ask about studios. She did seem pretty confident that I would be able to get a 1 bedroom in orlowitz though, which is what i'd rather anyway...so that's good i guess! This would be such a weight taken off my shoulders.