For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are there syllabi handed out to study from, with the info condensed? or do most students study from the textbooks?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked one of the first year students at jeff and she told me that they post the lecture materials online and one of the profs at second look said they will be distributing (at least the anatomy) lecture slides and lecture notes during the first class in a big binder to all students free of charge (which i think is pretty cool.)

This is what the first-year student told me:
"Yes, all lecture materials are posted online or distributed out to students by the faculty. And it doesn't cost you anything. I think that you're thinking of back notes, which can be purchased - I don't know how much they cost, though. Front notes are now free if you agree to scribe at least one lecture per block, I think."

AS FOR SYLABI: Anatomy is the ONLY course that doesn't give you a formal sylabus but all lecture materials are posted online and student notes are posted online. I heard that for this falls entering class there will be a sylabus for Anatomy, not positive about this though. BUY NETTER'S AND NETTER'S FLASHCARDS--> THESE ARE KEY.

FOR ALL OTHER CLASS BLOCKS THERE ARE COMPLETE CONDENSED SYLABI. The sylabi are complete with basically everything you need to know. The only books that you may want to get are BRS (Board Series Review) study guides because these give you questions similar to whats on our exams. There are also some books that are "suggested" because they give extra background info that may help some people get a better handle on difficult concepts. STUDENT NOTE SERVICE, is a great part of Jeff and is posted online for students to look over notes completed by fellow students. We also have "Discussion Boards" where we post exam study guides, jokes, relavent articles, ect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm yet to recieve a big old envelope full of info, but I've been trying super hard to get info on Frat living (particularly the coed one) and coming up empty - anybody have any info? How do we apply for it? When do they typically let newbies move in? How hard to get is it? thanks!

Liz

do they also have mp3's of the lectures? this would very nice... to have the lecture slides and the audio of the lectures freely available.

im assuming the gym at jeff is fine since there were so many frat guys that were completely jacked.

W222 said:
AS FOR SYLABI: Anatomy is the ONLY course that doesn't give you a formal sylabus but all lecture materials are posted online and student notes are posted online. I heard that for this falls entering class there will be a sylabus for Anatomy, not positive about this though. BUY NETTER'S AND NETTER'S FLASHCARDS--> THESE ARE KEY.

FOR ALL OTHER CLASS BLOCKS THERE ARE COMPLETE CONDENSED SYLABI. The sylabi are complete with basically everything you need to know. The only books that you may want to get are BRS (Board Series Review) study guides because these give you questions similar to whats on our exams. There are also some books that are "suggested" because they give extra background info that may help some people get a better handle on difficult concepts. STUDENT NOTE SERVICE, is a great part of Jeff and is posted online for students to look over notes completed by fellow students. We also have "Discussion Boards" where we post exam study guides, jokes, relavent articles, ect.

yancantcook said:
hi there,
how was the gym at jeff?
does jeff have a pool to use? basketball courts? squash?
etc?
thanks!

The gym is ok. They have a weight room, aerobics room, cardio room, pool, and a gym....im not sure about squash. It seems kind of small but I'm not sure how busy it gets. Im just excited they have a pool.

For those that want info on the frats, I think theyre having rush the weekend of May 21st. If you got the emails from them, you might want to email them with questions. If you didnt, then you can pm me cause I have their email addresses.

I have a question about the financial aid process. I filled everything out, including the MPN, so what will happen next? Do they just offer me a loan amount, and then I get to decide whether I want to take it or not? I'm just wondering because I am still not sure if I am going to Jefferson, so I'm getting a little freaked out that this is going to bind me to going. :confused:

davedavedave said:
do they also have mp3's of the lectures? this would very nice... to have the lecture slides and the audio of the lectures freely available.

im assuming the gym at jeff is fine since there were so many frat guys that were completely jacked.

Yes - they post free mp3s of the lectures. The people in charge of the mp3 recorder are really diligent about recording them. The only heart stopping moment this year has come when a lecturer swung his arm around and knocked the recorder onto the floor. The lecture still recorded fine, though.

Those "completely jacked" frat guys aren't actually real students here...we just hired them for second look day to attract students to come here.

Just kidding. I haven't heard any complaints about the gym, though, so I'm sure it's fine. If you really hate it, there are other gyms around Center City that you could go to, and might not be that expensive.

we have summer reading! :laugh:

aingeal said:
we have summer reading! :laugh:

I think its funny too. Ive never had summer reading in my life. Oh well. I read anyway in the summer. :p

We have summer reading? They haven't sent me anything about this.

I had summer reading once in AP English in high school, and I think I only read the ones that interested me. Sorry Thomas Hardy.

my financial aid info is now available on banner. unfortunately, it is what i expected. it says something like, "Your estimated cost of attendance is 57,xxx dollars. You have been awarded 42,xxx dollars in aid" no institutional aid at all. 42k a year in stafford loans. it's too bad, i really wanted to go there, but i guess i sort of knew this was coming.

I don't read as much as I should, but amazingly, I have already read this book. Random :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
was it jefferson that gives carrels in the library so each student gets their own private assigned carrel?

sorry, i get all my school tours confused.

AthensBeth said:
We have summer reading? They haven't sent me anything about this.

I had summer reading once in AP English in high school, and I think I only read the ones that interested me. Sorry Thomas Hardy.

They sent me an email today; the book is: " The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman

afrodite - I pm'd you about the frats, can you help? If we have to be there for rush I need to buy a ticket ASAP to get a decent fare - thanks!

Liz

lightnk102 said:
was it jefferson that gives carrels in the library so each student gets their own private assigned carrel?

sorry, i get all my school tours confused.

I think not, but only because on my tour we didn't even go to the library.

do u know if we are gonna have any other summer "work"? will they send us material to review? i heard of some schools doing this.

davedavedave said:
do u know if we are gonna have any other summer "work"? will they send us material to review? i heard of some schools doing this.

Summer Reading? Haven't had that since 12th grade, ;) but that's cool. I heard going to med school's a lot like going back to highschool anyway...Anyone know what this book's all about??

What kind of aditional work would you be talking about? :confused: I've not heard about this at all!!

I am a current first year at Jeff looking for a female roommate. I could either keep the two bedroom I have in Barringer which you could move into or move off campus. There are some luxury buildings nearby but they are more pricey. There's the Cosmopolitan which would be about $1775 a month divided by two and there's 1500 Locust which has a rooftop pool, fitness center, etc. that starts at about $2150 a month. Both buildings have 24 hour doormen, maintenance, etc.

I am social and friendly but not a party person. I'm 24 years old. I have several good friends here but they are either married or living in one bedrooms and don't want to live in a two bedroom, which is why I have not yet found a roommate.

If you are interested in speaking with me, e-mail me at [email protected]. I don't really go on SDN much.

Thanks and hope to hear from you!

I'm obviously not from a very wealthy family....I did not expect much but I got my fin aid package from jeff a couple of days ago...54K in loans :eek:

I expected it but I really hoped that they would give me some money...I dont know why I hoped but oh well. I really wanted to go to jeff but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to pay back 220K plus my college loans. I talked to my parents and they told me they are not really going to help. (Well they said they'd pray for me and that they'll email me for emotional support :mad: )

In any case, I've been depressed for over 4 days. I really dont know what to do anymore or what to think or how to act. I dont even know why i'm posting this...I just thought some of you might want to offer me some encouragement or some words of consolation coz i'm seriously contemplating suicide at this point.

Have most of you receved your financial aid info? I had all of the paperwork complete by early March and have not heard anything.

mtndoll said:
I'm obviously not from a very wealthy family....I did not expect much but I got my fin aid package from jeff a couple of days ago...54K in loans :eek:

I expected it but I really hoped that they would give me some money...I dont know why I hoped but oh well. I really wanted to go to jeff but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to pay back 220K plus my college loans. I talked to my parents and they told me they are not really going to help. (Well they said they'd pray for me and that they'll email me for emotional support :mad: )

In any case, I've been depressed for over 4 days. I really dont know what to do anymore or what to think or how to act. I dont even know why i'm posting this...I just thought some of you might want to offer me some encouragement or some words of consolation coz i'm seriously contemplating suicide at this point.
dude...seriously...not to belittle your suicidal thoughts, but really, is your lot so bad? YOU GOT IN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! AT A SCHOOL THAT YOU WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ATTEND!!! YOU'RE BEING OFFERED ENOUGH LOANS TO COVER THE ENTIRE COST!!! My EFC from my FAFSA was $3000 or so, but I'm certain I'm going to be in the same boat you are right now, with $50,000 in current personal debt (much of which I'm going to have to keep paying off while I'm in med school - private loans are a bitch but they got me where I am today) to pile on top of whatever we accrue over the next four years. Think about how many people would KILL to put themselves a quarter of a million dollars in debt in order to become a physician. Think about how many physicians you know of, any specialty, that are living paycheck to paycheck. There's a difference between crabbing about not being paid what you're worth and having malpractice insuarance suck you dry and actually not making enough money to live comfortably - I don't know a single doc that doesn't live comfortably...Again, I don't want to make you feel worse, but you've got to put things in perspective a bit more effectively - making statements about how the prospect of insane amounts of debt are putting you on the verge of suicide is really, really not cool...most of us will be your classmates next year, don't start out with everyone thinking you're lame :)

Liz

krebse said:
dude...seriously...not to belittle your suicidal thoughts, but really, is your lot so bad? YOU GOT IN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! AT A SCHOOL THAT YOU WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ATTEND!!! YOU'RE BEING OFFERED ENOUGH LOANS TO COVER THE ENTIRE COST!!! My EFC from my FAFSA was $3000 or so, but I'm certain I'm going to be in the same boat you are right now, with $50,000 in current personal debt (much of which I'm going to have to keep paying off while I'm in med school - private loans are a bitch but they got me where I am today) to pile on top of whatever we accrue over the next four years. Think about how many people would KILL to put themselves a quarter of a million dollars in debt in order to become a physician. Think about how many physicians you know of, any specialty, that are living paycheck to paycheck. There's a difference between crabbing about not being paid what you're worth and having malpractice insuarance suck you dry and actually not making enough money to live comfortably - I don't know a single doc that doesn't live comfortably...Again, I don't want to make you feel worse, but you've got to put things in perspective a bit more effectively - making statements about how the prospect of insane amounts of debt are putting you on the verge of suicide is really, really not cool...most of us will be your classmates next year, don't start out with everyone thinking you're lame :)

Liz

thanks Liz

but knowing that I'll be in so much debt at the age of 26 is kinda overwhelming...

yeah, well, I'll be there when I'm 28...so will countless number of other people...it could just be soooooooo much worse

You could always consolidate your loans when you graduate. It will then take about 30 years to pay off and you'll be paying much more interest, but your payments will be a few hundred dollars cheaper each month then if you tried to pay them off in 10-15 years.

I never got anything about the summer reading. Are we tested on it?

rdavid said:
I never got anything about the summer reading. Are we tested on it?

We need to read it for our medical ethics class: "Doctors in the 21st Century" or something like that.

there will be a final exam immediately after registration on the summer reading.

only number 2 pencils and graphing calculators allowed. there will be no breaks for bathroom use - unless a dire need to drop a number 2 is expressed.

g'luck

I picked up the summer reading today. It looks good... and it's about an Hmong immigrant family from Laos... I'm backpacking southeast asia this summer and am going to visit there :) I just think that's cool!

VCatz -- I haven't heard anything from fin aid yet either... hopefully I will soon... Good luck to ya! Let me know if you hear anything...

I've read it - it is good...I personally think it should be mandatory reading for everyone, not just future docs...

is this summer reading for real? didnt hear anything about it...what book is that?

wow, i took us to the 10nth page...i feel special :D

It's called "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman... it's about "a hmong child, her american doctors, and the collision of two cultures."

Everyone says it's great!! I can't wait to start it!!

Has anyone looked into the school's health insurance plan yet? I can't find anything in detail about it on the website-- just that it costs 2,079 a year.

hey all.

i've been debating for a long time between jeff and bu, and i think i've decided to come to jeff. does anyone know whether its too late to send in the housing form? i'm considering living off campus as well since the neighborhood is so great. is there a housing online bulletin board for current jeff students who have a room opening up?

There is something if you go onto pulse.jefferson.edu and sign on... they have JMC forums and there are posts up from and for people looking for roomies... GOOD LUCK! :)

I'm going up to Philly in a couple of days to look around! Can't wait!!

lightnk102 said:
hey all.

i've been debating for a long time between jeff and bu, and i think i've decided to come to jeff. does anyone know whether its too late to send in the housing form? i'm considering living off campus as well since the neighborhood is so great. is there a housing online bulletin board for current jeff students who have a room opening up?

It shouldn't be too late to hand in the form. I was told I won't hear from them until May or June when rooms become available. I would get it in as soon as possible though, becomes rooms are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. (Keep in mind all first years whose permanent residence is outside of Philadelphia (check the contract for specifics) are guaranteed housing, so don't stress too much!)
Good luck!

Hey everyone,

I am also going to be at Jefferson in the fall! Can't wait to get started! I am going to be living in the student housing! I'm sending in all the forms this week! :)

See you all soon!

welcome NYLA!

it's good to have you in our humble thread :)

Amie, thanks for the info on that book...how do you like new orleans? I just declined my tulane acceptance, it broke my heart coz i loved the city and the school...but oh well...I belong to jeff!

hey guys, i'm going to be at jeff in august too!

a couple quick questions... i got accepted just over 4 weeks ago, and aside from the actual acceptance all i have received is a to-do checklist and the IT packet. i haven't gotten any financial aid info or housing stuff. also, i registered right away for my campus key but it doesn't work. when did you guys receive financial aid/housing info? can anyone else sign into pulse?

Tell me about how rough it is to say no to NOLA, I can't even fathom that I have to leave new orleans...I finished my finals yesterday and I've been out partyin' in the city all day... I'm gonna miss it so much but I think Philly will be really cool...
I love nola, but ask any local... it gets under your skin... i feel the need to get out before I'm stuck... I can always come back... LOVE THE PLACE SOOOOOOOO MUCH... It's like a drug -- and i sound psychotic (appologies to any new JMC classmates... I swear I'm relatively normal)... maybe we'll all take a trip down here after block exams next year... Philly has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to offer... can't turn that down....

My campus key works...

Sorry to everyone... I've had quite a few cocktails ..... i swear my next post will be sober...

Cant wait to meet y'all.. going up to Philly to visit tomrorow! :) SO EXCITED!

AmieJ5757 said:
Tell me about how rough it is to say no to NOLA, I can't even fathom that I have to leave new orleans...I finished my finals yesterday and I've been out partyin' in the city all day... I'm gonna miss it so much but I think Philly will be really cool...
I love nola, but ask any local... it gets under your skin... i feel the need to get out before I'm stuck... I can always come back... LOVE THE PLACE SOOOOOOOO MUCH... It's like a drug -- and i sound psychotic (appologies to any new JMC classmates... I swear I'm relatively normal)... maybe we'll all take a trip down here after block exams next year... Philly has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to offer... can't turn that down....

My campus key works...

Sorry to everyone... I've had quite a few cocktails ..... i swear my next post will be sober...

Cant wait to meet y'all.. going up to Philly to visit tomrorow! :) SO EXCITED!

Hey everyone, I was just there today visiting Philly/Jefferson... can I just say, the city is so beautiful at this time of year...the streets around Jeff have lots of pretty trees lining them, and I walked from there down to Independence Hall/Liberty Bell (about 5 blocks away)... soooo pretty... I'm getting excited! Hope everyone else is too!

Sober post:

ABSPS1983... WELCOME AND CONGRATS!! you should call and check on your campus key not working because it's helpful in the fin aid app process... there's also a JMC forum on pulse with lots of info about off campus housing...They sent me on campus housing info a few weeks after I was accepted (in Jan)... I'm sure you'll get yours too... But if you want to do that I'd suggest turning the form back around to them ASAP... I had all of my fin aid stuff in by March 1 (with the exception of my parent's tax forms which got there shortly thereafter) and just yesterday got my fin aid package (it's not the prettiest but I'm taking what I can get... NO help from Jefferson, but I was kinda expecting that) I need to come up with about 18,000 in private loans to meet the projected budget... But, I heart Jeff so it's worth it ... Get your stuff in ASAP and you'll have a better shot at any sort of Jeff help on your package...Good luck with all that!

absps1983 said:
hey guys, i'm going to be at jeff in august too!

a couple quick questions... i got accepted just over 4 weeks ago, and aside from the actual acceptance all i have received is a to-do checklist and the IT packet. i haven't gotten any financial aid info or housing stuff. also, i registered right away for my campus key but it doesn't work. when did you guys receive financial aid/housing info? can anyone else sign into pulse?

My campus key works for Pulse, but I can't access Jeff Mail. I've sort of ignored the problem so far. Are people getting important communications in their jeffmail that isn't being sent via snail mail or to their outside email accounts?

thanks AmieJ, i think i will call them today about the financial aid info and campus key issue. yesterday my housing packet came, but i actually just secured an off-campus apartment.

absps1983 said:
thanks AmieJ, i think i will call them today about the financial aid info and campus key issue. yesterday my housing packet came, but i actually just secured an off-campus apartment.

good luck talking to jefferson IT. the woman i just spoke to in that department copped some major attitude, gave me garbled directions on how to fix it (contradicting herself multiple times), and then talked to me like I was a 6 year old when I asked for clarification.

but. my email now works.

so how do you fix it?
i had the same issue...along with other social issues that i will not discuss on this open forum...PM me if you'd like me to inundate you with my problems..

I've heard from current Jeff students that the IT dept really sucks. There's even an initiative/club you can join for improving IT there. I've been lucky so far (with my mail and campus key), but if ever have the experiences you guys are having, I'll definitely join!

shawty ya'head said:
so how do you fix it?
i had the same issue...along with other social issues that i will not discuss on this open forum...PM me if you'd like me to inundate you with my problems..

i'm not sure if you had the same problem as i did, but if you did, here it is:

PROBLEM: campus key/password worked on pulse portal, but could not access email (gave "incorrect campus key/password combination" message)

SOLUTION:
1. log into pulse with your campus key and password
2. click on 'change password'
3. enter your campus key. enter the same thing for the three fields:
old pw, new pw, confirm new pw (assuming you want your ss# to remain your password)
4. give the server 15 minutes to refresh its list and synchronize
5. log into pulse and click JeffMail.

thanks lightnk!! that totally worked.... and now i am reading email from way back in april :)