For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
afr0dite01 said:
Anybody out there going to Jeff for sure next year? !!

I'm pretty sure I'll be here next year (OK, bad joke). Anyway, shouts to tha new Jeffers. If anybody has questions or wants to say hi, drop me a line.

Tha Fly

(P.S. Start studying BRS & Netter Anatomy ASAP; it hits you like a hurricane.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Has anyone been able to track down the health insurance form? I keep getting notices that it is one of the things that is due in order to be fully matriculated by Aug 1st, but I can't find the friggin' thing. Everywhere I check online they say it isn't available and I haven't gotten anything in the mail. If anyone has ideas please offer. Thanks!

I think I got it in the mail...just recently though, so keep a look-out for it. If I remember correctly we were accepted around the same time, so yours might be on the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can fill out the insurance form when you get here. Don't sweat it. Do get your physical & shots though.

got a call from housing today... 2 bdrm orlowitz, what i was expecting

davedavedave said:
got a call from housing today... 2 bdrm orlowitz, what i was expecting

Do you mind me asking when you sent your housing application in? I'd like to know where they are in the process. Thanks a bunch.

mdpdgirl said:
SBJX, or any other Jeffs, what BSR's did you use other than anatomy?

I'm guessing you mean BRS. Here are the most useful review books for Jefferson first year (that is, each person might find others they like too, but nearly everyone used these):

BRS Anatomy
BRS Physiology
Lippincott Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
High Yield Neuroanatomy

As for texts, I'd say only buy Netter & the recommended Neuro text, (& maybe a histo atlas & Rohen if you've got money to burn.)

You'll need an anatomy text, but I'd recommend trying to find a copy of "Clinically Oriented Anatomy", by Keith L. Moore (you can buy a used copy from a 3rd or 4th year student for like $5. I'll even be selling mine soon.) They've been changing the required anatomy text every year lately. Every year they choose a new crappy text and every year Schmidt teaches out of Moore. I think the only thing they use the new texts for is to get new test questions. So whatever text they tell you to get, I recommend just photocopying the practice questions from it but studying out of Moore.

Sent my housing in April. Asked for 1 bedoom anywhere. Housing just called on Friday to say all one bedrooms are taken. I was assigned a 2 bedroom in orlowitz. They just random assign a roomate. Not too happy with this.

I've noticed alot of people with concerns about random roomates. We may be able to help each other out.

I'm trying to get out of Martin and into Barringer or preferably Orlowitz, but they will not place a second year there unless I find my own roomate.

So if anybody wants a roomate that can help them out with advice through first year, PM me. I'm totally laid back and generally an easy person to live with. If you're interested, we can discuss the details in PM.

kgoods5 said:
Do you mind me asking when you sent your housing application in? I'd like to know where they are in the process. Thanks a bunch.

i applied a couple weeks after second look weekend (i wanted to find a roommate from second look, so i didnt end up with a random one).. so i applied end of april.

I agree, the BRS Anatomy and Physio and HY Neuro. were very helpful. I didn't use a biochem review, but my degree is in biochem and only used one of my old texts to expand on what the syllabus had.

Supadupafly said:
I'm guessing you mean BRS. Here are the most useful review books for Jefferson first year (that is, each person might find others they like too, but nearly everyone used these):

BRS Anatomy
BRS Physiology
Lippincott Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
High Yield Neuroanatomy

As for texts, I'd say only buy Netter & the recommended Neuro text, (& maybe a histo atlas & Rohen if you've got money to burn.)

You'll need an anatomy text, but I'd recommend trying to find a copy of "Clinically Oriented Anatomy", by Keith L. Moore (you can buy a used copy from a 3rd or 4th year student for like $5. I'll even be selling mine soon.) They've been changing the required anatomy text every year lately. Every year they choose a new crappy text and every year Schmidt teaches out of Moore. I think the only thing they use the new texts for is to get new test questions. So whatever text they tell you to get, I recommend just photocopying the practice questions from it but studying out of Moore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome class of 2009! Enjoy your summer vacation. ;)

I just finished my Step 1 boards, so I can finally sell my books. (PM me if you decide you want any or have questions)
All are complelely unmarked (I never highlight in my books).
Gray = sale pending/sold

For 1st years:
BRS Anatomy - $10
BRS Physiology - $10

High Yield Neuroanatomy - $7 (older edition but fairly similiar)
Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry - $20
Moore's Anatomy - $5 (this is an older edition, not as colorful)
Last's Anatomy - free (this is the worst anatomy book ever)
Moore & Persaud, "The Developing Human" - $20

Also:
Netter's Anatomy Flashcards - $10
2003 version of First Aid - free

Some books I forgot to add:
Radiographic Atlas of Human Anatomy: $10
Haines Atlas of Neuroanatomy - $10
Nolte's Neuroscience Textbook - "The Human Brain" - $15

I bought the high yield series new from the Bookstore for $24.95. The BRS books were 34.95 new. I paid $44.95 for Lippincotts at the bookstore, and $50-55 for Moore & Persuad's.

For 2nd years:
Basic Immunology, Abbas & Lichtmann - $10
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple: - $10
Microbiology Flashcards - $5
BRS Behavioral science (older edition) - free

Also for Step 1:
Appleton & Lange Board 1100 board questions - $10
Robbins Review of Pathology (this was a superb question book) - $10

BRS Pathology - $10
High Yield Embryology - $8
High Yield Gross Anatomy - $8
High Yield Biochemistry - $8
High Yield Molecular Biology - $5

Maybe someone here can answer this question. I had heard that all the slides for histology will be on computer so that we wouldnt need to rent/buy a microscope. Is this true?

afr0dite01 said:
Maybe someone here can answer this question. I had heard that all the slides for histology will be on computer so that we wouldnt need to rent/buy a microscope. Is this true?

Not alot of people really go to histo lab (or need to; it's easy), so microscope rental ends up being a waste. They've got awsome videos that walk you through just about everything you need to know and yes there is the "Jefferson Virtual Slidebox", which while not perfect, is probably better than spending an hour in lab looking for something you've never seen before.

On the other hand, you probably can't get around needing a microscope for microbiology (fall 2nd year), so you'll end up renting one anyway.

Supadupafly said:
On the other hand, you probably can't get around needing a microscope for microbiology (fall 2nd year), so you'll end up renting one anyway.

As I remember, you only use your microscope for 1-2 labs in Micro to do a gram stain. You probably don't need a microscope for microbiology, since you are working in partners, and chances are that your partner will have one anyway. The microbiology labs tend to pretty easy and take about 30-45 minutes to finish! ;) I loved micro.

I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am trying to understand my financial aid packet. I plan on calling the office to clarify things, but I was hoping that someone who has received their completed fin aid package could tell me what their award information page (the one that lists the amts of the loans etc) on Banner looks like. Obviously, I don't want people's exact #'s, but if someone could either respond or PM with a general breakdown of which loans should be there, it would be so much help. The reason I am asking is because the only thing that appears on my page is 'other stafford loans' and is only for an EXTREMELY small amount (less than $10,000), which is not gonna help me with that $57,000 cost of attendance.
Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Looking forward to starting in just over a month!

How far in advance? - Not much. They are really bad about this, although they will give you (or if you request) the exam dates a little bit ahead of time. They asked if any second year students want to help out on in informal basis for anatomy labs and e-mailed us the schedule, so I can try to find that e-mail and post your first 3 (tenative exams) dates later on.

As far as the schdule goes, it is nothing like in college when you had the same MWF and TR times for a whole semester. I'll try to give you a quick overview:

*There are no classes/labs scheduled from 12-1 the whole year.

Anatomy - Lectures were 8-12 for about the first 4-5 weeks, then they were basically 9-12 for the rest of the course. About 1 day a week, there is only an 8:00, then lab 9-12, with the afternoon lab section 1-4. Sometimes Friday is short as well, 8:00 Imaging (CT, x-rays, etc) lecture and then lab 9-12. Afternoon lab section if your section was not scheduled for the morning. There are a lot more lectures in the first few weeks than at the end, the the ones in the last few weeks have a lot more info. Also, a nice thing is that there is usually one day with only MP-21 (Intro. to med. type of class) lectures, which is nice is help you catch up.

Rest of the year - Once you are done anatomy and you see you schedule for biochem, it will seem like they have double the lecture time. First off there is no lab in biochem and there are a lot more lectures. But you willl adjust. Once nice thing, we never really had any 8:00 lectures after anatomy (ok a maybe 1 or 2 here and there) for the rest of the year. Basically, during biochem and then physio., you will have 9-12:00 1-2x week, and 9-12:00 and 1-2/3:00 a few more days a weeks. In physio, some of this time will be histo lab time. Neuro is about the same. The thing about the schedule is that it is always changing and you will build your life around it.

mdpdgirl said:
Just out of curiosity how long is an average day of classes? Are the days pretty similar or do you have long and short days? How far in advance do you know your schedule?

are we supposed to send in the clinical mentor form yet? the form still says class of 2008

They just changed it to class of 2009. Also, they said the health insurance form should be up today.

I think I was in a similar position. My package was short about 15,000 dollars to cover the entire COA. This excess is your "family contribution." You can either cover it yourself or with the help of your family or you can do what I did and talk to a financial counselor about applying for an alternative med loan to cover the difference. Good Luck!

karebearmd said:
I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am trying to understand my financial aid packet. I plan on calling the office to clarify things, but I was hoping that someone who has received their completed fin aid package could tell me what their award information page (the one that lists the amts of the loans etc) on Banner looks like. Obviously, I don't want people's exact #'s, but if someone could either respond or PM with a general breakdown of which loans should be there, it would be so much help. The reason I am asking is because the only thing that appears on my page is 'other stafford loans' and is only for an EXTREMELY small amount (less than $10,000), which is not gonna help me with that $57,000 cost of attendance.
Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Looking forward to starting in just over a month!

During our second look day, someone talking about Pulse said Jefferson was very "Microsoft Windows based". Current students: I am interested in getting a Mac, would this be unwise? What do you find works best? Thanks.

Thanks for the info on the schedule. So then do they kinda just let you know the schedule as they go?

At the begining of each block, you have the schedule for the whole block and all the exam dates. Unfortunately, they don't give you the schedule that far ahead of time for each block. For example, in the physio/histo block, I don't think we had our schedule until about 3-4 days before the block started. They did the same thing in neuro. It makes it difficult to plan anything, especially after a block ends and a new one is begining.

afr0dite01 said:
Thanks for the info on the schedule. So then do they kinda just let you know the schedule as they go?

aingeal said:
During our second look day, someone talking about Pulse said Jefferson was very "Microsoft Windows based". Current students: I am interested in getting a Mac, would this be unwise? What do you find works best? Thanks.

The only problem would be with the wireless internet network. Not just any wireless card (like the internal IBook card) will work. You have to have an external port that will accept a Cisco card. To my understanding only certain size laptops have an external port, but I don't have a Mac (wish I did.)

Other than that, a Mac will be fine. Pulse is it's own monster, it'll work with any OS.

One month until our journey begins!!!!!!!! Enjoy the time that you have :p

I'll be right there with you august 1st....getting so unbelievably psyched! Anyone else not have a place to live yet? I'm living with two people (not med. students) and we are currently having a heck of a time finding 3BR.

Is anyone else not able to get on banner? I click on the tab on pulse and all I get is a blank page. I got my financial aid package in the mail w/my stafford stuff listed, but I'm wondering about institutional aid...anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Hey guys...one more question. I am trying to decide between living in the Cosmopolitan Apartments and the Winston Lofts. Is anyone else living in either of these two? I know the winston lofts are brand new so I can't really find any reviews, but the place is beautiful. They are both pretty much equidistant from Jeff. I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion/thoughts. Thanks!

kgoods5 said:
Is anyone else not able to get on banner? I click on the tab on pulse and all I get is a blank page. I got my financial aid package in the mail w/my stafford stuff listed, but I'm wondering about institutional aid...anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Try disabling your firewall. I was having trouble at one point and it was ok when I disabled my firewall.

Thanks! It worked!

jtt5 said:
Try disabling your firewall. I was having trouble at one point and it was ok when I disabled my firewall.

kgoods5 said:
Hey guys...one more question. I am trying to decide between living in the Cosmopolitan Apartments and the Winston Lofts. Is anyone else living in either of these two? I know the winston lofts are brand new so I can't really find any reviews, but the place is beautiful. They are both pretty much equidistant from Jeff. I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion/thoughts. Thanks!

Where are they located and how much is the rent? I am looking for a place but I prefer a 1 bedroom or a studio.

I am also looking for a 1BR or studio. The Windsor Lofts: http://www.phillyapartmentco.com/renter/prop-view?rid=QrOXx0LFXeNsegKb;pid=QrOXx0KSO58uuAHp are really nice...rent for a studio is 1099, 1br is 1300...BUT it includes parking, which I am going to need. So its not really as expensive as it sounds when you factor that in. It is on 10th and Arch (I walked it yesterday, its like a 5 minute walk to Jeff, 3 or so blocks). It has a bunch available because it is so new. It used to be a factory or something, and has just been renovated into new apts.
The Cosmopolitan only has 2 studios available for my move in date, which just needs to be sometime before orientation starts. The studio I looked at yesterday is 950, and parking would be an additional 200 a month. It includes a washer/drier, which is nice. Its on 12th and Locust, like 2 blocks from jeff...a little under a 5 minute walk. However, it has gotten some bad reviews online.

...Hello!!!
I just got pulled off the waitlist about a week or so ago, so I will be joining you all in the fall!!!! I am so excited about starting school at Jeff and can't wait to meet all of you. I've recently been following this thread (not as much as the waitlist thread, of course) and you all seem like great people. Just thought I'd say hi and share my fortunate news with you all.
I also had a few quick questions for you who recently got pulled from the waitlist:
How long did it take to get financial aid info?
How long for an email acocunt/info about things I need to do before August (paperwork, shots, etc)?

Thanks! See you all this fall!

congrats salfrankador!

kgoods5 said:
I am also looking for a 1BR or studio. The Windsor Lofts: http://www.phillyapartmentco.com/renter/prop-view?rid=QrOXx0LFXeNsegKb;pid=QrOXx0KSO58uuAHp are really nice...rent for a studio is 1099, 1br is 1300...BUT it includes parking, which I am going to need. So its not really as expensive as it sounds when you factor that in. It is on 10th and Arch (I walked it yesterday, its like a 5 minute walk to Jeff, 3 or so blocks). It has a bunch available because it is so new. It used to be a factory or something, and has just been renovated into new apts.
The Cosmopolitan only has 2 studios available for my move in date, which just needs to be sometime before orientation starts. The studio I looked at yesterday is 950, and parking would be an additional 200 a month. It includes a washer/drier, which is nice. Its on 12th and Locust, like 2 blocks from jeff...a little under a 5 minute walk. However, it has gotten some bad reviews online.

Thanks for the info. The Winston looks really nice, but I'm not bringing a car so I want to see if I can find something cheaper. Don't know if I will have any luck though.

Congrats salfrankador!

jtt5 said:
Thanks for the info. The Winston looks really nice, but I'm not bringing a car so I want to see if I can find something cheaper. Don't know if I will have any luck though.

Try calling philadelphia apt. company. 215-495-0070 www.phillyapartmentco.com. I talked to a guy there and told him my price range and what I was looking and where and he set me up with a bunch of appointments at places that matched what I needed...it was a very helpful resource. I ended up going w/the cosmopolitan b/c of move-in date issues. Good luck!

congrats salfrankador!

It took me over a week to get the official letter, but if you go to http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matri.cfm they list all of the requirements. You can click on the links to get your campus key and stuff, mine worked about 48 hours after I got the call :)

Today I was at the registrar's office and found a tentative schedule for first years 2005-2006, so I thought I would share since the one online is next to useless:

Aug1-5 Orientation

FIRST TEACHING BLOCK (Human Form and Development)
Aug 8 Course begins 8am
Oct 28 Course ends 5pm

SECOND TEACHING BLOCK(Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine)
Oct 31 Course begins 8am
Nov 23 Thanksgiving Holiday begins 12pm
Nov 28 Classes resume 8am
Dec 16 Winder recess begins 5pm
Jan 3 Classes resume 8am
Jan 16 second payment due
Jan 27 Course ends 5pm

THIRD TEACHING BLOCK(The Systems)
Jan 30 Course begins 8am
March 24 Spring break begins 5pm
April 3 Classes resume 8am
April 25 Course ends 5pm

FOURTH TEACHING BLOCK(Nuroscience)
April 27 Course begins 8am
May 29 Memorial Day holiday
June 6 Course ends Summer Recess begins 5pm
Aug 21 Summer recess ends 8am

Thanks! I've been lookin all over for that!

Just a little BUMP to say, we are NOT a second page school!

Supadupafly said:
Just a little BUMP to say, we are NOT a second page school!

thanks, you saved me the trouble...

hey fly, i understand jeff doesnt have free laser printing (which my undergrad school did)...are there any discount cards for students, or any other way you can print for free/really low price?

i'm used to printing a lot of stuff...is it necessary at jeff, meaning is there a lot of class info, notes, study guides, test samples etc. online that needs regular printing?

Thanks!

Anybody know what day or days we have off for the Labor Day holiday?

I think the only day we have off besides the weekend is Monday.

Kikinin said:
Hey everyone,

I just got an apartment on The Ben infront of the hospital. I was wondering if any of you are going to be living there. I am moving July 1st and would love to meet you guys before August 1st. Hope all of you had a great weekend.

I'm living in The Ben too, Kikinin! Have you already moved in? I will be in on the 14th and would love to stop by to say hi. Let me know!

mtndoll said:
thanks, you saved me the trouble...

hey fly, i understand jeff doesnt have free laser printing (which my undergrad school did)...are there any discount cards for students, or any other way you can print for free/really low price?

i'm used to printing a lot of stuff...is it necessary at jeff, meaning is there a lot of class info, notes, study guides, test samples etc. online that needs regular printing?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, this has been a problem in the past. The rate for a library copy/print card is pretty steep. The good news is that if you catch the right guy in the computer lab (nice little eastern european guy with round glasses), he'll give you extra pages and charge you less. Everyone else who works in there will give you a dirty look and make you wait five minutes before being giving you another dirty look and helping you when they damn well feel like it.

There is a printer in the Medical student lounge that you can use for free, if you supply your own paper. I've done this once or twice, but it seems to break down alot.

The best option is to go down to the Staples around the corner and get one of those printer/copy machine combos. Mine cost around $70 if I remember right, but it has been completely worth it. Through the year, you will need to print hundreds if not thousands of pages, as well as your share of photocopying. It is worth the investment.

You'll want to print all of those items you listed and more. As we have a new web-based noteservice (thank this years second year class for starting it), you can print all of your notes from pulse (previously a Frat ran the service and charged extortionary prices for notes). You'll like having a printer at home so you don't have to go to the library evertime somebody posts a cool new "cheat-sheet."

Guess that was a bit winded. Hope it answered your questions.

Tha Fly

Just wanted to say thanks real quick to all the MS-2's and beyond who've been so helpful on this thread! MS-1 in 3 weeks!

what wireless plan works well in philly? what do most ppl use? i heard verizon is not bad...

any suggestions? please?

I think this was discussed earlier in the posts. But in general, most work well enough. Verizon probably is the best.