For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mdpdgirl said:
congrats salfrankador!

It took me over a week to get the official letter, but if you go to http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matri.cfm they list all of the requirements. You can click on the links to get your campus key and stuff, mine worked about 48 hours after I got the call :)

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

either i've heard mixed things or i forgot what the answer was, so i'm going to ask again...

are all lectures posted online as well as the mp3? cuz if thats the case i'd never go to lecture; i learn alot better when i'm awake. and it would also eliminate the need to have front notes (if u miss a lecture, u can just watch it online..)

Hey guys...I was just down at the bookstore looking at stethoscopes and the man there said that MS1's were required by Jefferson to get Littmann Cardiology III. I just wanted to pass that along, I'm not really sure how true it is.
Also as a sidenote, when one of the papers said that they were "on sale" the week of orientation, it doesn't mean they're any cheaper...so if you wanna pick them up early, they're still 140 w/that accessory kit for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of ours were last year. But I think someone in your class will have to volunteer to do it, (the university does not automatically do this). There were a few profs in physio who did not allow recordings (Dean Nasca was not one of them though).

Just a few things:
1. Even if you learn better awake, I would highly suggest going to anatomy lectures, at least up until the first test. Listening to an anatomy lecture when the prof. is refering to Netter figures the whole time might be difficult to follow on your own. Plus, anatomy is a whole new beast, don't start skipping class right away, especially if you don't know much anatomy.

2. You'll see as you go on, but listening to a lecture can be a waste of time, especially in biochem and physio (great syllabus for each block). I generally went to class, but my point is, if you don't go or miss a class, don't feel compelled to listen to an mp3, everything you need to know will be there (99% of the time, just check over the front notes and talk to some friends to make sure nothing was added or to see if there is something which you should especially emphasize). I used the mp3's to fill in the gaps everyonce in a while or to listen to an important concept/somthing I didn't get right away.

Good luck!

davedavedave said:
either i've heard mixed things or i forgot what the answer was, so i'm going to ask again...

are all lectures posted online as well as the mp3? cuz if thats the case i'd never go to lecture; i learn alot better when i'm awake. and it would also eliminate the need to have front notes (if u miss a lecture, u can just watch it online..)

kgoods5 said:
Hey guys...I was just down at the bookstore looking at stethoscopes and the man there said that MS1's were required by Jefferson to get Littmann Cardiology III. I just wanted to pass that along, I'm not really sure how true it is.

They require any stethoscope & an oto/opthalmoscope. The CardioIII is just the recommended because it's easy to use, loud, and a fairly decent value (compared to higher end scopes).

I bought a Littman Select for $20. It's been fine till now. In retrospect, I probably would have gone for something slightly better with a double bell, but feel the CardioIII is a little too expensive for me.

I never purchased an opthalmoscope & haven't regretted it. They have one in every exam room, so carrying your own is just asking to have a $400 instrument lost or stolen. The only reason you'd want your own is for a couple of 1st year clinical skills sessions. Still, you can always share with somebody else.

This is the best adivice yet: DO NOT BUY THE OTO/OPTHALMOSCOPE!!! They will make it sound like you really need to have one and that it is required but you use it for a total of about 5 minutes all year. It really isn't worth it.

I got the Cardio III, if you can afford that, I say go with that, from what I hear (Dr. Berg of the Clinical Skills Center), it is a good one for med students.

Supadupafly said:
They require any stethoscope & an oto/opthalmoscope. The CardioIII is just the recommended because it's easy to use, loud, and a fairly decent value (compared to higher end scopes).

I bought a Littman Select for $20. It's been fine till now. In retrospect, I probably would have gone for something slightly better with a double bell, but feel the CardioIII is a little too expensive for me.

I never purchased an opthalmoscope & haven't regretted it. They have one in every exam room, so carrying your own is just asking to have a $400 instrument lost or stolen. The only reason you'd want your own is for a couple of 1st year clinical skills sessions. Still, you can always share with somebody else.

SJBX said:
This is the best adivice yet: DO NOT BUY THE OTO/OPTHALMOSCOPE!!! They will make it sound like you really need to have one and that it is required but you use it for a total of about 5 minutes all year. It really isn't worth it.

I got the Cardio III, if you can afford that, I say go with that, from what I hear (Dr. Berg of the Clinical Skills Center), it is a good one for med students.

Let's just say this one more time:

iiDO NOT BUY THE OTO/OPTHALMOSCOPE!!

You've now heard this from an MS2 and an MS3. They will really pressure you to get one. YOU DO NOT NEED IT. Don't waste $400 on an instrument you'll only use once or twice. Tons of people will not heed this advice and will buy one anyway; just share with them for the 5 minutes that you use it.

This is repetative I know. I'm thinking back to the begining of first year though when all the MS2s told me to NOT to buy one and I still almost got one just because the MP21 staff keep harrassing you about it. DON'T BUY IT (unless you have $400 just burning a hole in your pocket, in which case I'd say use it on books or beer or something instead.)

Anyone else living in Barringer? I just moved in yesterday.

EMT557 said:
Anyone else living in Barringer? I just moved in yesterday.

I am! Not moved in yet, though. How do you like it?

davedavedave said:
are we supposed to send in the clinical mentor form yet? the form still says class of 2008

What is this form? I just came off WL and all Ive received is the Orientation schedule. (Im a little bummed I havent gotten the formal invite, but maybe its in the mail somewhere...) Anyway, clinical mentor form... is it online somewhere?

also, Im a Philly native, so maybe Ill see some of you around here before classes start. PM me if you have any Philly related questions! :)

Nittany Lion said:
I am! Not moved in yet, though. How do you like it?

It's pretty nice, I am living in a one bedroom by myself. All I've been in before this were dorm rooms, so this is a welcome change.

The only thing that sucks about it are the elevators... you will see what I mean. That and there are no stairs that you can take other than fire escape stairs that sound an alarm when you exit them.

When do you move in? I'm on the second floor, where are you gonna be?

EMT557 said:
It's pretty nice, I am living in a one bedroom by myself. All I've been in before this were dorm rooms, so this is a welcome change.

The only thing that sucks about it are the elevators... you will see what I mean. That and there are no stairs that you can take other than fire escape stairs that sound an alarm when you exit them.

When do you move in? I'm on the second floor, where are you gonna be?

I'll be on the 4th floor, in a two bedroom with one other roommate. I feel like this thing you mentioned about the elevators is something I might want to know before I drag all my stuff in..haha. Speaking of which, how was the whole move-in process? There's a loading zone or something for people to park in when they move in, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nittany Lion said:
I'll be on the 4th floor, in a two bedroom with one other roommate. I feel like this thing you mentioned about the elevators is something I might want to know before I drag all my stuff in..haha. Speaking of which, how was the whole move-in process? There's a loading zone or something for people to park in when they move in, right?

Here's what you do:
There is a loading dock with access to the freight elevator behind the building. Park your car/truck or whatever there, then go around to the front and see the lady at the desk. She'll give you your room key, unlock the back of the freight elevator, and give you a parking pass for the loading area. You have to renew the pass every hour, which is kinda annoying.

There are three elevators: 2 that open to the front, and the freight elevator that opens to the front and the back. You have to press and hold the close door buttons on the freight one or it won't move. What I did was just made continuous trips bringing everything up with someone in the elevator so we didn't lose it until I got all my stuff in - took about an hour with 4 of us doing everything.

The other thing I had to ask my 3rd year friend about was how to actually get in - they give you the key but that didn't open the front doors. You have to go to the Bookstore (which is on Chestnut just to the left of 10th, not where they have it on all the maps) and go to the ID center there and get your ID. That will give you access to the building.

Let me know if you have any other questions... I don't know much yet but I am getting the hang of things.

blueyedfisch said:
Anyone move into Orlowitz yet? :cool:

I'm moving into Orlowitz next week...anyone else living there?

mules05 said:
I'm moving into Orlowitz next week...anyone else living there?

I'll be there... i'm backpacking asia right now so i won't be moving in until i get back, around the 28th or 29th... 14th floor (kinda psyched about the view)... one bedroom.... for those who are there, how is it?

Can't wait to meet yall :D

have you guys received an orientation package yet?

I received my orientation package a few days ago. It has the schedule for orientation week, reminders about stuff we need to complete, and info on the health insurance Jeff offers.

I am also in Orlowitz - it's great so far. Anyone with specific questions or others in the bldg wanting to meet up before school: feel free to PM.

Hey all,

So I've finally made it to Philly to do a quick apartment search. I am looking for a 1 br/eff/studio for a reasonable price. I am going to look into the Jeff housing situation as well as the Cosmopolitan and the Winston Lofts that were previously mentioned in this thread. Are there any other good places around Jefferson, or places where Jeff students often live that I should check out? Ideally I'd like to pay around $800-900 but no more than $1000-1100.

Also, I will be in town for a night or two getting this and other various Jefferson stuff done. So if anyone is already in the area and would like to have a drink or two with a fellow classmate before school starts hit me with a PM.

Sal

Less than two weeks before we start. Any last minute advice from the jeff veterans?

salfrankador said:
Hey all,

So I've finally made it to Philly to do a quick apartment search. I am looking for a 1 br/eff/studio for a reasonable price. I am going to look into the Jeff housing situation as well as the Cosmopolitan and the Winston Lofts that were previously mentioned in this thread. Are there any other good places around Jefferson, or places where Jeff students often live that I should check out? Ideally I'd like to pay around $800-900 but no more than $1000-1100.

Also, I will be in town for a night or two getting this and other various Jefferson stuff done. So if anyone is already in the area and would like to have a drink or two with a fellow classmate before school starts hit me with a PM.

Sal

I looked into the Chancellor and the Chatham. The Chancellor is close to Jefferson, but the Chatham is at 20th Walnut which is about ten blocks away from Jeff. The only thing is that the moving dates are in September which presents a problem if you're from out of town. I found a studio at the Metropolitan which is on N. 15th Street (about 6 blocks away). I don't move in until September but I've lived in Philly all my life so it's not a huge problem. It seems that most places have move-in dates in September if you're looking now, so Jeff housing might be the best thing for you. Try looking at Rentnet.com to see the closest apartments to Jeff.

Hope that helps. Can't wait to meet everybody on August 1st :) . Can't believe summer for us is almost over :( .

Hey you all!

Is anyone else going to be living in the dorm (Martin)?
I'm moving in this monday! See you all in a few days :)

Over on the Jeff Pulse page there is a message board and some of the '09 kids have been posting back and forth talking about meeting up on Friday the 29th at Locust bar (10th and Locust). I have no idea if I'll make it, but I thought I would just spread the word on this board.

See you all soon enough.
-Jess

OK, So if anybody wants to get a few cheap books, here's what I've got form first year:

The Developing Human 7th ed. - $25
Gosling Human Anatomy Atlas & Text - $15
Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy - $10
Rohen's Photographic Atlas (Awsome) - $25
The Human Brain (newest edition) - $30
Netter's Neuroscience Flashcards - $10
Structure of the Human Brain Atlas - $10
Wheaters' Functional Histology - $5
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - $8

Cranial Nerves Anatomy and Clinical Comments - $10
Introduction to Functional Histology - $10
Lange Basic Histology (2 copies) - $5
Ger's Anatomy - FREE
Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple - FREE

Hi guys!

I'm really sorry for interrupting your thread. I am applying to Jefferson this year and I was wondering if any of you were doing the Physician Shortage Area Program. I am really interested and I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some info. Thank you so much!!

Congrats!! :)

AlexisTaylor said:
Hi guys!

I'm really sorry for interrupting your thread. I am applying to Jefferson this year and I was wondering if any of you were doing the Physician Shortage Area Program. I am really interested and I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some info. Thank you so much!!

Congrats!! :)

I applied through the program, but during my interview I expressed that I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to do family medicine (I really don't think I do)...so I got accepted under a regular acceptance. I know they hold a specific number of spots in the class for the program, you have to go to a few extra classes (maybe once a week?) that are special for rural shortage physicians. I think its definitely worth it if you know you want to do family medicine back in the shortage area...because it does give your application special consideration. But, since I only applied through it and don't start till next week, thats about all I know. :)

anyone know if we can access the gym at Jeff already?

I just got back from my trip to Central America and despite a diet of steady diet of rice and beans and Pringles, I lost weight. I've been back for 3 days, and I've gained back half of it.

Also, since I was robbed while there and relieved of all my electronics including my music... Any opinions on ipod (20gig, color screen, $299) vs. ipod mini (6 gig, smaller size but black and white, $250)?

yikes! sorry to hear about the robbery...are you getting the education pricing on the ipods? make sure you do...also, for $50 more, get the big guy, or go with the really little guy (4 G) for only $170.

Regarding the gym, you have to get a temp. ID to go there, and because other colleges are doing orientation this week, I was told that Thurs. is the earliest she could make one for me. I imagine we still have to get new ones on Aug. 1st too.

krebse said:
yikes! sorry to hear about the robbery...are you getting the education pricing on the ipods? make sure you do...also, for $50 more, get the big guy, or go with the really little guy (4 G) for only $170.

Regarding the gym, you have to get a temp. ID to go there, and because other colleges are doing orientation this week, I was told that Thurs. is the earliest she could make one for me. I imagine we still have to get new ones on Aug. 1st too.

So about the IDs... I read on an earlier post (about moving into Barringer) that an ID is required to access the front door of the building. So when I was there last week moving my stuff in, I decided to just venture down to the bookstore and ask for my ID... well they gave me mine, but apparently no one (in the new JMC class) is supposed to be issued an ID until orientation week b/c when I called the Housing office to get mine activated to allow me entry into Barringer, they were like.."Ummm you're not really supposed to have that yet." Weird!

I had the same question about the gym because I'm heading back into Philly tomorrow and I have a feeling I'm going to have a bunch of time to kill between now and Monday. Can you just go in if you have an ID? Is there an extra fee for the gym? Also has anyone checked it out yet? The gym at my old school had a ton of cardio equipment and weights and stuff but there was never enough for everyone so there was always a huge line for everything :thumbdown: I'm excited to check out the facilities at Jeff.

Only a few more days, everyone!

Nittany Lion said:
So about the IDs... I read on an earlier post (about moving into Barringer) that an ID is required to access the front door of the building. So when I was there last week moving my stuff in, I decided to just venture down to the bookstore and ask for my ID... well they gave me mine, but apparently no one (in the new JMC class) is supposed to be issued an ID until orientation week b/c when I called the Housing office to get mine activated to allow me entry into Barringer, they were like.."Ummm you're not really supposed to have that yet." Weird!

I had the same question about the gym because I'm heading back into Philly tomorrow and I have a feeling I'm going to have a bunch of time to kill between now and Monday. Can you just go in if you have an ID? Is there an extra fee for the gym? Also has anyone checked it out yet? The gym at my old school had a ton of cardio equipment and weights and stuff but there was never enough for everyone so there was always a huge line for everything :thumbdown: I'm excited to check out the facilities at Jeff.

Only a few more days, everyone!

You are supposed to schedule an orientation before you use the gym, but you can just walk down there and hand them your ID and they won't say anything and you can use the gym. It's not that big, but there's never been a line anytime I have been there. (During this past summer so thats probably actually not a good indicator)

There's no fee for the gym or most of the classes.

lightnk102 said:
anyone know if we can access the gym at Jeff already?

I just got back from my trip to Central America and despite a diet of steady diet of rice and beans and Pringles, I lost weight. I've been back for 3 days, and I've gained back half of it.

Also, since I was robbed while there and relieved of all my electronics including my music... Any opinions on ipod (20gig, color screen, $299) vs. ipod mini (6 gig, smaller size but black and white, $250)?

no question...go w/the 20 gig...especially now since they're all color screens.

if anyone is gonna be around friday night, there's a bunch of our classmates meeting at the locust bar (10th and Locust) Friday night at 7:30. Check out the Jefferson message board if you'd like to see the conversation.

fyi, the gym is teeny (and the pool is only 20 meters) so if you go around dinnertime-ish, there will be a line for cardio equipment. you can work around it though if you go off-peak times. plus there's a new teenier gym in barringer if you're a resident - it should be opening soon i hear...

kayw028 said:
fyi, the gym is teeny (and the pool is only 20 meters) so if you go around dinnertime-ish, there will be a line for cardio equipment. you can work around it though if you go off-peak times. plus there's a new teenier gym in barringer if you're a resident - it should be opening soon i hear...

Cute story: My parents were both students at Jeff back in the 70s and they actually met at the gym... my mom used to swim laps in the pool and my dad was the lifeguard *awww* :oops:

I just withdrew from Jefferson today. I already signed a lease on an apartment 1 block from Jefferson that I would like to get out of as soon as possible. The apartment is a huge 1 bedroom with a loft and private entrance to the street. Central AC, W/D, dishwasher, huge two story windows. Its really an amazing apartment. I signed the lease for 1200/mo.

Please contact me for more info if interested...

Hey Everyone...

so i was planning on doing the locust bar thing lastnight, but our moving truck showed up 4 hours late and i didn't get to philly until dinner time-ish... so i had to unpack and move in and stuff... was it fun?

Now that I'm here, I'm dying to hang out with people... I live in orlowitz, 14th floor... please pm me or post if you are here and want to go out tonight (saturday... ) or just want to hang out...

:)

So excited for orientation to start!

Ames

Hi everyone

I am an Advanced Standing DMD student at Penn Dental School. I have finished dental school in India and worked in my dad's office for a year. In order to get a license here,we have to get a DDS/DMD degree. On the basis of my foreign dental degree I join directly at the 3rd year. The majority of my 2 years will be spent in treating patients.

If any of you need dental treatment at any point of time or know any one who does, you are most welcome to contact me. The best way wpul be to send me a PM here on SDN.

For those who need furniture,there is a good thrift store at 45th and Walnut.

Welcome to Philly!

Where are we supposed to be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9 for orientation? Thanks.

Good luck to the class of 2009! Keep posting here if you have any questions about Jeff and/or anatomy.

SJBX said:
Good luck to the class of 2009! Keep posting here if you have any questions about Jeff and/or anatomy.
I'll take you up on your offer. I was wondering about how detailed they get on the exams with the anatomy stuff. For example, are we expected to know the exact origin and insertion for every muscle we learn, or should we just be familiar with approximately where it is. Also, how many questions are generally on the written and practical portions of the anatomy exams. Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately, anatomy is all about the little details. They tell you to know the origin, insertion, innervation, and action of each muscle. You might memorize a ton of these, but on the test, there will only be a few asked. This is the general trend of anatomy - memorize a ton of info from "Set A," but only a few questions from "A" are asked. It can get frustrating. The problem is you have "Set A, B, C, E, etc." to memorize.

So there is no real great advice for anatomy, it is jsut tons of mem. However, make sure you know the innervations and actions. I would know those over the origins and insertions. The innervations and actions give you more bang for your buck. Also, concentate on the blood vessels, where they go, where they branch, etc.

Make sure you know lab. This can't be overemphasized.Go in on your own time with a good friend or two. Schmidt does not prepare you for how tough the practical will be. Set up some practice practicals. Get 5-6 people together, make some "flags" with pins and labels. Get some yarn. Each of you label stuff on several bodies (each person lables 5 things or so) and write your answers on a separate sheet. Go around and each table and make sure you can ID the things exactly. If you don't agree with what your classmate has said something is, discuss it. Be a b*tch when you label stuff - tie a piece of yarn around some obscure vessel, nerve, etc. Label a specific process on a bone.

Exams: This is how it was for us, they may have changed it a little bit
Written exams were about 70 questions for the first 2 exams. The last one was about 100 questions (about 70 new, 30 from the old stuff). Also, there were 20-40 MP21 questions at the end as well.

Practicals consisted of 50 questions. There were 60 stations that you were at for 1 min. each, but 10 of these were rest stations. Out of each of the 50 questions, 2 were standardized patients (you had to look at what was marked on them), there were probably 2-4 bones (the questions were more specific, like what is the name of the specific process that is painted on this bone), and there were 2 (may 3 or 4?) images (CTs, x-rays). For us, the final practical was only on the new stuff, it was not cumulative.

Thanks, SJBX; that info is really helpful.
Just to clarify, MP21 is only tested on the final? Also, how do they break the class up being that they're only 60 stations/1 hour and 255 students? Our schedule has the practical starting at 1 and ending at 5. Are we each assigned an hour? Thanks again!

no, mp21 is on all of the exams (not quizzes). you really never can tell whether mp21 will be cake, or whether it will be tough. but you guys have a new coordinator, so maybe it will be more consistent for you!
you'll get broken up by alphabetical order for the practicals and assigned a time slot. the time slot will rotate for each exam.

kayw028 said:
no, mp21 is on all of the exams (not quizzes). you really never can tell whether mp21 will be cake, or whether it will be tough. but you guys have a new coordinator, so maybe it will be more consistent for you!
you'll get broken up by alphabetical order for the practicals and assigned a time slot. the time slot will rotate for each exam.

This year we only have one MP21 test in the third quarter there aren't any questions on the anatomy tests.