FM Interviews 2006-07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. JPS in Fort Worth
2. McLennan County in Waco
3. Methodist Hospital, Houston
4. Memorial Hospital, Houston
5. UT-Tyler
6. Scott & White in Temple
7. Baylor in Garland
8. UTMB-Galveston

I've already been to my JPS interview, and it was a great experience! I enjoy being "wined and dined' - the preinterview social was a dinner at a lobster restaurant right next door to the B&B they put you up in, then they met us for breakfast, took us over to the hospital, and after the interviews and tours, they took us out for lunch! we even got little goodie bags!

Yay, another stay-in-TX gal! I'm a third year, so not applying till next year, but my interview list will look VERY similar to yours (and sophiejane's), if all goes as planned! Please do continue to update as you interview at these programs...I can't wait to hear about them!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to a few FM programs (most apps are for IM programs), but of the ten i applied to i got interviews from:

-New York Presbyterian Hospital Program-Columbia
-Kaiser Permanente-Woodland Hills

Mostly applied to the programs in Cali, especially around the LA area. I will go to the Columbia interview...I think it's worth the trip to NYC cause if the FM is anything like their IM program, it's probably a fantastic program. Anyone have any input about either of these, particularly NY Pres/Columbia?

mcindoe

Members don't see this ad :)
I got on interview offer today...has anyone heard any good/bad things about the program.

Fairview is a great program. One of my best friends almost went there until her husband found a job here in Columbus. I have met several of their faculty and they were wonderful!:D

Got one from Warren Hospital today.

1) Fairfax rejected
2) St. Anthony Rejected
3) Scottsdale rejected
4) USF Morton Plant rejected
5) UT at Tyler rejected
6) Bayfront at St Petesburg rejected
7) NYMC at St Vincent Queen Accepted
8) NH Dartmouth Accepted
9) Warren Hospital, NJ Accepted

I feel a bit more secure I guess... *debates picking up smoking for stress relief*

1. Fairfax family practice
2. Ohio State University (Main Program)
3. Aultman Hospital, Canton, OH
4. University of Virginia
5. UPMC St. Margaret
6. Fairview hospital (Cleveland, OH)
7. Grant Family Medicine Residency (Columbus, OH)

5. UPMC St. Margaret
8. Riverside Hospital (Columbus, OH)
9. San Jose O'Connor Hospital (San Jose, CA)

By the way if anyone knows anything about the o' connor program, pm me.

I know a guy in surgery at Fairfax if you're interested.

As promised, here are my impressions after my first interview. If you want to know more specifics or the name of the program, please PM me. I have decided not to identify programs for my own anonymity (or what's left of it!).

I encourage everyone to post program reviews on scutwork.com. It's a great resource, and not used as much for Family Medicine as it could be. Let's change that!

I went to dinner the night before with a couple of residents, and I highly recommend this if you have the opportunity. I asked lots of questions and felt like the answers I got were honest and sincere. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, and much easier to get information than in the formal interview.

The interview day itself was more formal than I expected, but everyone was very nice and made me feel comfortable. The day started with breakfast and a short welcome by the PD (I wasn't asked many questions, it was more of an introduction to the program and the day). Then two residents took me on a hospital tour, followed by two 30-minute interviews with each of them. Then lunch, followed by two more faculty interviews, and a final wrap-up with the residency coordinator.

The questions I was asked were all on the lists I posted on this forum, by the way. The exception was being asked about my MCAT score, which was a surprise. Not a big deal, I just wasn't expecting that to come up. The residents focused more on questions about teamwork and how I would deal with conflict. One asked about the challenges facing family medicine, and why I chose family. The faculty interviews were more conversational, and they did a lot more talking. I was asked several things about my personal statement, and they all seemed to have read my file well.

All in all, a good day. I am glad I have one under my belt--it's very reassuring to know you can survive these things!

Best of luck to all on the trail!

I encourage everyone to post program reviews on scutwork.com. It's a great resource, and not used as much for Family Medicine as it could be.

I actually posted a review of my program on Scutwork.com several years ago. See if you can figure out which one it is. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
5. UPMC St. Margaret
8. Riverside Hospital (Columbus, OH)
9. San Jose O'Connor Hospital (San Jose, CA)
10. Barberton Citizens Hospital (Barberton, OH)
11. Summa Health System (Akron, OH)

First interview tomorrow at Indiana U. Possibly 34 left......yikes! I'm couple's matching and applied to 42 FP programs......overkill I know.....but love makes you do funny things. I've been offered ~35 interviews, waiting to hear from some programs out West and I did get one rejection from a program out West....I'm hoping it's the DO part of my application they didn't like, and not my crazy name.

Funny story, one of the Wichita programs sent me information on requirements for IMG's as they put it....I'm pretty sure it was clear I was a student from Des Moines and they apologized right away for the mix-up, just made me question how "open-minded" they really are.

Anyways...just wanted to say good luck to all. I've been a silent observer of the FP forum for a while and wish everyone the best.

I finally submitted my ERAS applicaiton this week and I got my first interview at Stamford Hospital in CT.

ANyone know anything about them?

I applied to about 10 more programs and hoping more will come.

Good luck to everyone.

First interview tomorrow at Indiana U. Possibly 34 left......yikes! I'm couple's matching and applied to 42 FP programs......overkill I know.....but love makes you do funny things. I've been offered ~35 interviews, waiting to hear from some programs out West and I did get one rejection from a program out West....I'm hoping it's the DO part of my application they didn't like, and not my crazy name.

Funny story, one of the Wichita programs sent me information on requirements for IMG's as they put it....I'm pretty sure it was clear I was a student from Des Moines and they apologized right away for the mix-up, just made me question how "open-minded" they really are.

Anyways...just wanted to say good luck to all. I've been a silent observer of the FP forum for a while and wish everyone the best.

34 interviews?? You must REALLY be in love. :love:

I doubt it was the DO...who knows what programs are thinking. Are there any DOs in the program currently? I guess there are some that still look askance at our credentials, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Oh, you're from TCOM? We LOVE TCOM students--we always get great residents from there" etc etc. Maybe it's a regional thing, too.

Anyway, good luck with all those interviews. I just did one and am already looking forward to this being over!

Anyway, good luck with all those interviews. I just did one and am already looking forward to this being over!

Don't leave us hanging...how did it go?

I got a little overzealous on my application and had to withdraw from some places... All except one scheduled for december. Maybe I'll see some of you on the trail! :)

1. Moses Cone
2. Carolinas
3. MacNeal
4. Resurrection FMR
5. Advocate Lutheran General
6. AmMed - Anderson, SC
7. Palmetto - U of SC
8. UT-Knoxville
9. Boston U
10. Crozer-Keystone - Philly
11. South Bend St. Josephs

Withdrew app:
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Kaiser - Los Angeles
3. U of Colorado - University Hospital
4. Bayfront

Maybe the folks in Ohio can help me out here....

I already have an interview at Fairview Hospital. Got two more invitations to Medical college of Ohio (Toledo) and MetroHealth Program. Has anyone have good/bad things to say about these 2 programs.

Bacon

Got another one... here is my list.

1) Fairfax rejected
2) St. Anthony Rejected
3) Scottsdale rejected
4) USF Morton Plant rejected
5) UT at Tyler rejected
6) Bayfront at St Petesburg rejected
7) NYMC at St Vincent Queen Accepted
8) NH Dartmouth Accepted
9) Warren Hospital, NJ Accepted
10) Kentucky at Hazard rejected
11) University of Penn rejected
12) UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson at CentraState Program Accepted

THEY rejected YOU, or did you 'reject' them by withdrawing? And, you're talking about interviews, right?

Picked up a fifth...feeling a bit better at this point... though there is no statististical difference between 4 interviews and 5 interviews... but hey statistics suck.

Denied = They rejected me.
Interview = Got offered an interview.

1) Fairfax Denied
2) St. Anthony Denied
3) Scottsdale Denied
4) USF Morton Plant Denied
5) UT at Tyler Denied
6) Bayfront at St Petesburg Denied
7) NYMC at St Vincent Queen Interview
8) NH Dartmouth Interview
9) Warren Hospital, NJ Interview
10) Kentucky at Hazard Denied
11) University of Penn Denied
12) UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson at CentraState Program Interview
13) St. Clare's in NY. Interview

Picked up a fifth...feeling a bit better at this point... though there is no statististical difference between 4 interviews and 5 interviews... but hey statistics suck.

1) Fairfax Denied
2) St. Anthony Denied
3) Scottsdale Denied
5) UT at Tyler Denied

Well, look at you. I'd call that a rank list! Congrats!

Thank you... now I have to figure out whom I'm gonna have to swindle to get money for the interviews.:scared:

Isn't there a loan program through AAMC for that?

Isn't there a loan program through AAMC for that?

Been there, done that... used up (it's 12.5k but is used also for training courses, paying for medical boards etc).

Swindle time indeed.

Been there, done that... used up (it's 12.5k but is used also for training courses, paying for medical boards etc).

Swindle time indeed.

Oh snap! Swindle away. :eek:

Swindle time indeed.

At least it doesn't look like you have to go cross country or anything, right? That helps keep costs down.

1) Fairfax Denied
2) St. Anthony Denied
3) Scottsdale Denied
5) UT at Tyler Denied

Good luck

I've had two interviews so far, with one feeling like a good fit and the other a little awkward and forced. In general, the people were nice and weren't trying to put me on the spot or otherwise make me uncomfortable in any way. The interviews themselves were very laid-back, with pretty much the same three questions, which were mostly related to my personal statement. Nobody asked what kind of cell I want to be or anything weird ala Iserson's. Seven more to go, and already looking forward to being done with this part. Let's hope the enthusiasm holds out for one more month :)

Oh snap! Swindle away. :eek:

Hi... Uncle Larry. This is your third cousin Sam... you know... Carol's son? Yes I know we haven't spoken in 10 years and I understand you are pissed off at my mom for marrying my dad... How have you been doing? Hey listen, can I borrow 300 dollars for a plane ticket for an interview? *click*.......*phone tone silence*

I had an interesting question asked of me at one of the Indy programs. I was first complemented on my letters of rec and my choice of fields for letters and then was asked if a nurse wrote a letter for you, what would it say and why. Good question I thought. Just something to think about.

I guess I could have posted this in the interview ? thread but there it is. Everything else was fairly standard......One didn't ask any questions as we talked about research and EMR's the entire 30 minutes.......I'm a bit of a technophile so we even went over the 30 minutes. Others focused on my CV and some research I've done.

Anybody get a question that made you freeze for a sec yet?

I had an interesting question asked of me at one of the Indy programs. I was first complemented on my letters of rec and my choice of fields for letters and then was asked if a nurse wrote a letter for you, what would it say and why. Good question I thought. Just something to think about.

I guess I could have posted this in the interview ? thread but there it is. Everything else was fairly standard......One didn't ask any questions as we talked about research and EMR's the entire 30 minutes.......I'm a bit of a technophile so we even went over the 30 minutes. Others focused on my CV and some research I've done.

Anybody get a question that made you freeze for a sec yet?

My worse question and the one i hate the MOST and when I hear it a ringing start sounding in my ear saying "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE BEFORE ARMAGEDDON STARTS!" is when they ask: What are your weaknesses?

HOLY COW BATMAN!!! I AM INVINCIBLE WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! *Hold yourself back Faebinder... easy there boy!*

Is one week's notice too late to cancel an interview?

Nope.. They can still hunt for someone close by to come to the interview.

Send them an email.

Hi... Uncle Larry. This is your third cousin Sam... you know... Carol's son? Yes I know we haven't spoken in 10 years and I understand you are pissed off at my mom for marrying my dad... How have you been doing? Hey listen, can I borrow 300 dollars for a plane ticket for an interview? *click*.......*phone tone silence*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
thanks guys... I needed that...

I'm having to wait because of my husband's job- so it looks like I am going to sit this year out. He has offers at places where there are no FM programs, and the places where there are programs are in no hurry. It WILL work out, but probably not in time for 2007. :luck: :luck: to you all!

1. John Peter Smith (Ft. Worth, TX)
2. Christus Santa Rosa (San Antonio, TX)
3. Methodist Hospital (Dallas, TX)
4. Conroe Family Medicine (Conroe, TX)
5. McLennan County Medical Education (Waco, TX)
6. AMEP (Austin,TX)
7. Memorial Hermann Family Medicine (Houston, TX)

I'm done! Now the road trips begin...

:)

You go Sophie Jane. Continue keeping us updated. I have a feeling that my interviews next year are going to be very similar. I want to stay in Texas as well.

Ahh.. nothing is like waking up Saturday morning...

Fresh scent of coffee in the air.

Come out to get your mail...

And there is a rejection letter in it....

1) Fairfax Denied
2) St. Anthony Denied
3) Scottsdale Denied
5) UT at Tyler Denied
14) Yakima at Washington Denied
15) University of Arizona Denied

SophieJane,

Could you send a link to the list of interview questions you posted? Thanks

My interviews:
1) Mayo Scottsdale
2) Good Sam
3) Scottsdale
4) Phoenix Baptist
5) St Joseph's Phoenix
6) UVA
7) Maine med
8) UK-lexington
9) Ft. Wayne- canceled interview- great program, wife wasn't sure she wanted to live there.

At this point I think I may just do my AZ interviews, cause my wife really wants to stay near home. Also I was already tentaviley offered a spot at one of my top 3. All these programs are awesome though in my opinion

Finally have my first interview.

New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens) St Vincent.

do you mind sharing your credentials and which med school img or amg
thanks

I am waiting until all of my documents are in.

Should be Monday.

I applied to

Columbia (Bronx Program)
Beth Israel NY
Northshore LIJ-Glen Cove
Southside
South Nassau
Columbia (stamford CT)

Will update as they come in.

have you heard from these prog. i applied some as well

I am waiting until all of my documents are in.

Should be Monday.

I applied to

Columbia (Bronx Program)
Beth Israel NY
Northshore LIJ-Glen Cove
Southside
South Nassau
Columbia (stamford CT)

Will update as they come in.
do you mind sharing your credentials thanks

Hmm.. not into sharing qualifications before the match... after the match maybe. I'll rate my concord hospital dartmouth interview in a bit.

Interview = Scheduled Interview.
Done = Interviewed Already.

1) Fairfax Denied
2) St. Anthony Denied
3) Scottsdale Denied
5) UT at Tyler Denied
8) NH Concord-Dartmouth Done
14) Yakima at Washington Denied
15) University of Arizona Denied

Alright, briefly I guess...

I liked the program overall and here are my thoughts about it:

Pros:

1) Unopposed. (almost completely unopposed sometimes they get surgery residents for surgery rotations from dartmouth medical for 3 month but that's it.. everything else is unopposed)

2) VERY friendly staff... Not malignant and definitely concerned with resident issues. They take care of their interviewees.

3) University Affiliated.

4) Location (this can be a con). I love cold weather... the weather is nice most of the year. The area is beautiful and it's not a crowded crazy city, though concord is one hour from 3 major cities (boston, manchester and lebanon). This might be a con for you if you are looking for a metropolitic city. I enjoy middle sized cities, rent is cheaper than average, restaurants are cool.

5) Teaching faculty includes OBGYN docs and Pediatricians along with Family Medicine. Making this program very strong.

Neutral:

1) Preventative Medicine path... if you are into that (I am not).

2) While they dont have fellowships, some of their residents did go Sports Medicine and OB fellowships. Word is that they are thinking of establishing a Sports Medicine Fellowship there... These things take time, so I'm not so sure.

3) Heavy on behavioral science. They have two behavior science faculty. I am neutral about this.

Cons:

1) Little Research (I am an advocate of research, it puts the scientist in physician).

2) Two residents are assigned throughout their residency to a clinic approximately 30 min from the hospital. This might be a problem for some people who dont like driving in mid day for 30 minutes to get from the hospital to the clinic. I didn't hear anything about gas reimburisement.