FM Interviews 2006-07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me guess...too many DOs? FMGs?

From the looks of their website, could be either, couldn't it?

http://www.bcm.edu/familymed/education/residents/currresidents/currresidents.htm

What is wrong with DOs and FMGs? I don't understand the animosity amongst MDs, DOs, and FMGs. I have worked with all of them. I'm an AMG. I can't really say who is the best but why bring it up when you are all in the same boat trying to find and get through a residency. As long as each pulls his/her own weight, I have no qualms about anybody. I hope none of you do either.

dulce

Members don't see this ad.

What is wrong with DOs and FMGs? I don't understand the animosity amongst MDs, DOs, and FMGs. I have worked with all of them. I'm an AMG. I can't really say who is the best but why bring it up when you are all in the same boat trying to find and get through a residency. As long as each pulls his/her own weight, I have no qualms about anybody. I hope none of you do either.

dulce

I was being inflammatory again...oops. I'm a DO and I have respect for the FMGs I've worked with. It was an attempt at sarcasm, which is never a good idea on the internet.

It was in reference to a previous post in which the poster claimed one of the most attractive features of a residency programs in his opinion was their lack of DOs and FMGs.

Updating...

1) Duluth, MN
2) Marquette, MI
3) SIU Decatur,IL
4) SIU Quincy,IL
5) Ft Wayne, IN
6) Union Hospital, Terre Haute,IN
7) Memorial South Bend, IN
8) St. Joseph's Hospital South Bend, IN (just heard from today, via email)

One more to go...and I think that is more than enough!

Adding the last one, Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, MI

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to FP and sent off my application Sept 1st. My application was more or less complete (just waiting for one LOR to be uploaded). I initially got 4 interview offers in the first week (none of them are my top choices), but since then I haven't heard back from anyone...:(

Should I be worried?? Do interview offers come in batches? Most of the places I applied to are university-based programs in the north-east. Has anyone heard back from U of Buffalo or U of Rochester for FP??

Appreciate your input guys.....

I'm applying to FP and sent off my application Sept 1st. My application was more or less complete (just waiting for one LOR to be uploaded). I initially got 4 interview offers in the first week (none of them are my top choices), but since then I haven't heard back from anyone...:(

Should I be worried?? Do interview offers come in batches? Most of the places I applied to are university-based programs in the north-east. Has anyone heard back from U of Buffalo or U of Rochester for FP??

It is still very early....

I think some programs take their sweet time. I have heard from Rochester, but they did take their time. I actually heard today. I have not heard from Moses Cone, although a very kind member of this board told me they are slow too.

Anyone hear from the Wyoming or Montana or Nebraska programs??????

PS

HEY LURKERS!!! YOU CAN DO IT! STOP READING OUR POSTS AND COME JOIN THE FUN.... LIST YOUR INTERVIEWS!!! (this last little bit is for a certain friend of mine who is a lurking chicken.....go ahead, show us your list!)

Hi guys,

It's my first time posting... thought I'd join the fun!

I submitted ERAS on Saturday, and so far have been offered interview at:

Columbia: Stamford, CT
Tufts: Malden, MA
VCU: Fairfax, VA
Abington: Jenkintown, PA
Chestnut Hill: Philadelphia, PA

Currently waiting on...
Jefferson: Philadelphia, PA
Christiana Care: Wilmington, DE
Lehigh Valley: Allentown, PA
University of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, PA

Hoping to get some more good news soon, but from what people have been saying it seems like there's an initial rush in the first week and then a bit of waiting....

When are people starting their interviews? I have my first one planned for the 10th of November! (I have a feeling it's going to come very fast!)

Good luck everybody!:oops:

How many programs did you apply to? Honestly I wouldn't worry... every program is different with regards to what they use to grant interviews and how often they look at applications. I know some programs won't even consider your app until the whole thing is complete (I've received an email from a program stating this).

Don't fret! You'll get plenty of invites! Congrats on those you already have! :)

Shane

P.S. Moses Cone contacted me today about an invite so I think they're starting to get them out yaay! Maybe we'll be working together Saluda :)

I went a little crazy and applied to 15 places all over the Midwest since I wasn't sure where I wanted to end up. So far, I have interviews scheduled at 12 of 15 (everywhere except Ft. Collins, Greeley, and Omaha). Good luck to everyone and how exciting!

1. Ft. Collins, CO
2. Greeley, CO
3. Clarkson in Omaha, NE
4. Sioux Falls, SD
5. Duluth, MN
6. Sioux City, IA
7. IA Lutheran in Des Moines, IA
8. Broadlawns in Des Moines, IA
9. Cedar Rapids, IA
10. Quad Cities in Davenport, IA
11. U of WI Madison
12. U of WI Baraboo
13. U of WI Eau Claire
14. U of WI Appleton
15. LaCrosse, WI

1. University of Wisconsin at Madison
2. Fort Collins, CO
3. Contra Costa Regional Medical Center, Martinez, CA
4. Sutter Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa, CA
5. Iowa Lutheran, Des Moines, Iowa
6. Exempla St. Josephs, Denver, CO
7. St. Anthony's, Denver, CO
8. University of Nebraska MC at Omaha
9. Swedish Medical Center, Denver, CO
10. Broadlawns, Des Moines, IA
11. Rose Medical Center, Denver, CO

Husker MD, seems like we have similar programs in mind. Maybe we'll meet on the interview trail! I too am unsure where i'd like to live...My family is in NM so Colorado would be great. I'm tempted to add a couple more programs to the list just to be sure I have a good variety to choose from. My first interview is the second week of November. Anyone doing a mock interview at your school?

1) University of Louisville at Glasgow - Glasgow, Kentucky
2) Ball State - Muncie, Indiana
3) Marshall University - West Virginia
4) Ohio State-Columbus, Ohio
5) UC Rural/CMH - Wilmington, Ohio
6) Miami Valley Hospital - Dayton, Ohio
7) Grant Hospital - Columbus, Ohio and....
8) Ohio State Rural - West Liberty, Ohio
9) Mt. Carmel - Columbus, Ohio

To the poster who asked... I have one interview schedule in October, but the rest are all late November and December.

It's so exciting to see where everyone is interested in going. Good luck!:luck:

Last edited:
Just heard from Ft. Collins today. Now waiting on 2 more. My first interview is Nov. 1 and my schedule is pretty packed from the end of Nov through Dec. and into early January.

Hey Lisamed07, what do you know about the University of Nebraska program? I am from Nebraska originally and wouldn't mind heading back that way--just hadn't heard much about that program. I just knew about Clarkson in Omaha.

Later....

1) University of Louisville at Glasgow - Glasgow, Kentucky
2) Ball State - Muncie, Indiana
3) Marshall University - West Virginia
4) Ohio State-Columbus, Ohio
5) UC Rural/CMH - Wilmington, Ohio
6) Miami Valley Hospital - Dayton, Ohio
7) Grant Hospital - Columbus, Ohio
8) Ohio State Rural - West Liberty, Ohio
9) Mt. Carmel - Columbus, Ohio and..........
10) Dayton Community - Dayton, Ohio

Only have one left to hear from, but who knows when that may be. Does anyone else feel like their calendar is getting full? Maybe ten really is too many, but I can't imagine some of the other specialties (surgery, derm, etc.) who do 4 or 5 times as many! YIKES!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
does it matter when u schedule interviews? whether in nov vs jan... do programs remember u better if u interview later?

I submitted my app on 9/1 (minus the PS, which was added last week), and I've gotten interviews at 13 of my 14 programs!

1. Univ of Wisc- Madison
2. Univ of Michigan
3. UNC-Chapel Hill
4. Wake Forest
5. Chestnut Hill (philly)
6. Abington (philly)
7. UPenn
8. UPMC-St Margarets (pittsburgh)
9. Austin Medical Education Program (texas)
10. Baptist (Arizona)
11. Banner Good Sam (Arizona)
12. Scottsdale Healthcare (AZ)
13. St Joe's (AZ)

only waiting to hear from Jefferson (philly).

Good luck everyone- perhaps we'll meet on the trail (didn't it seem like we JUST did this for med school?)

Kaiser Permanente Orange County
UCSD
U Penn
Mercy Medical Center
Kaiser Permanente Riverside
Sutter
Contra Costa
Ventura
Kaiser Permanente Woodland Hills
Jefferson
UC Davis Medical Center

I almost missed an interview because I didn't receive the email!!! Fortunately they sent a follow-up email and a hard copy invite in the mail!

My interviews so far:
1. Advocate Christ- Hometown, IL
2. Adventist LaGrange- LaGrange, IL
3. UIC- chicago, IL
4. Baylor Univerity- Garland, TX
5. Columbia- St Mary's- Milwaukee, WI
6. McNeal Hospital
7. Cook County-Loyola University-Provident Hospital, Chicago
8. Hinsdale- Hinsdale, IL

I've look at every post in this thread and one thing is striking!
No one has listed a NYC program.
Why is that?
Are these programs considered inferior or have they not issued invites as yet?

Updating and waiting on a few more
1) Moses Cone
2) Carolinas Medical - Charlotte
3) MacNeal
4) Advocate Lutheran General
5) Palmetto/U of South Carolina
6) South Bend St. Josephs
7) Boston University
8) Resurrection Family Med - Chicago
9) Thomas Jefferson - Philly

I've gotten Beth Israel in NYC, as well as:
Boston University
Lawrence
Tufts
Overlook
Albany
Glen Cove
Chestnut Hill
Jefferson
U Penn
Brown
Vermont

Still haven't heard from Einstein or Columbia. NYC just may be slower/more selective...

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if those of you who have UPenn interviews could pass along how long it was from submission to when you heard from them? I've been offered interviews at all the other programs I applied to, but haven't heard anything from Penn be it good, bad, 'we're waiting for your dean's letter', etc. I submitted my ERAS about a week and a half ago, and just didn't have any idea about how long you wait before you just sorta chalk it up to 'it's not coming'?

Here's to hoping a little longer....

took 11 days for U Penn for me...

Who has the earliest interview?

Be sure to post about your day. I'm sure we'd all love to know what sorts of questions you were asked and all the juicy details!

My first one is November 9, so I'm sure many of you will be old hands at this by then...

I just can't wait to wear that suit that I spent a small fortune on...:rolleyes:

Update.

Cox Family Medicine Springfield, MO Received Interview Invite
RMC Family Med Anniston, AL Received Interview Invite
SIU Carbondale, IL Received Interview Invite
OU Rural Lawton, OK Received Interview Invite
AnMed Health Anderson, SC Recieved Interview Invite
UK Wesley FP Wesley, KS Received Interview Invite
Memorial South Bend, IN Received Interview Invite
OU Tulsa, OK Received Interview Invite
USF Clearwater, FL Received Interview Rejection
UT Jackson, TN Received Interview Invite
SIU Quincy, IL Received Interview Invite
ETSU Johnson City, TN Received Interview Invite
ETSU Bristol, TN Received Interview Invite
ETSU Kingsport, TN Received Interview Invite
SLU Belleville, IL Received Interview Invite
UAMS-AHEC NW Fayetteville, AR
UAMS-AHEC Fort Smith, AR
UT Memphis, TN
In His Image Tulsa, OK
Spartanburg Regional Spartanburg, SC
Southern CO FP Pueblo, CO
Floyd Family Practice Rome, GA
Trover Foundation Madisonville, KY
St. Joseph's South Bend, IN

I've (fortunately) received more than I can attend, so I'm having to pass up on some visits...

1. John Peter Smith (Ft. Worth, TX)
2. Christus Santa Rosa (San Antonio, TX)
3. Methodist Hospital (Dallas, TX)
4. Conroe Family Medicine (Conroe, TX)
5. McLennan County Medical Education (Waco, TX)
6. AMEP (Austin,TX)
7. Memorial Hermann Family Medicine (Houston, TX)

I'm done! Now the road trips begin...

:)

I've been lurking too long and figured it's time to post the list...

I did an away rotation at my top choice (so far) last month and got to interview while I was there, which was exciting and fun!

1. Cascades East FP (Klamath Falls, OR) already interviewed
2. St. Mary's (Grand Junction, CO) December
3. Mercy Redding (Redding, CA) December
4. St. Peter's (Olympia, WA) December
5. FM of Southwest Washington (Vancouver, WA) December
6. Montana FP (Billings, MT) December
7. Ohio State Rural program (Bellefontaine, OH) Still deciding on a date

Congrats to everyone who is choosing FP! Thank goodness patient-centered care will still exist in 30 years thanks to all of us and those before us!

Finally got all but one of my interviews scheduled. This winter is going to be a blur but should be exciting!!!

1. U of WI--Eau Claire; Nov. 1
2. LaCrosse, WI; Nov. 6
3. Clarkson--Omaha, NE; not yet scheduled
4. Siouxland Medical Education Foundation--Sioux City, IA; Nov. 29
5. Sioux Falls, SD; Dec. 1
6. Quad Cities Genesis Program--Davenport, IA; Dec. 6
7. Duluth, MN; Dec. 8
8. U of WI--Madison; Dec. 11
9. U of WI Rural Program--Baraboo; Dec. 12
10. U of WI Fox Valley--Appleton, WI; Dec. 14
11. Ft. Collins, CO; Dec. 20
12. North Colorado Medical Center--Greeley, CO; Dec. 2213. IA Lutheran--Des Moines, IA; Jan. 8
14. Broadlawns--Des Moines, IA; Jan. 15
15. Cedar Rapids, IA; Jan. 19

Good luck on the interview trail. Can't wait to hear everyone's updates.

I've been lurking too long and figured it's time to post the list...

I did an away rotation at my top choice (so far) last month and got to interview while I was there, which was exciting and fun!

1. Cascades East FP (Klamath Falls, OR) already interviewed
2. St. Mary's (Grand Junction, CO) December
3. Mercy Redding (Redding, CA) December
4. St. Peter's (Olympia, WA) December
5. FM of Southwest Washington (Vancouver, WA) December
6. Montana FP (Billings, MT) December
7. Ohio State Rural program (Bellefontaine, OH) Still deciding on a date

Congrats to everyone who is choosing FP! Thank goodness patient-centered care will still exist in 30 years thanks to all of us and those before us!

I'm a PGY-1 at your #4, if you have questions, etc. Naturally, I'm a fan of my program, but I'll be honest with questions. We need to find 6 happy people, not 6 duped ones.

I also have some good experience (through rotations) with Pueblo, CO and Prov-Milwaukie, OR if anyone has specific questions.

Interviews Scheduled:
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
University of Michigan
Contra Costa (Martinez, CA)
Ventura County (Ventura, CA)
UCSF
Oregon Health Sciences University

Interviews Offered, but Declined
University of Colorado - Denver
NY-Presbyterian/Columbia
Albert Einstein/Montefiore
UCLA-Harbor

Withdrawn
UCLA - Santa Monica

Finally have my first interview.

New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens) St Vincent.

Thanx Soph... wish my wife was as excited as you are. *crazy psych residents*

Second interview at Dartmouth.

Here is everything I have so far incase someone is interested.

1) Fairfax rejected
2) St. Anthony Rejected
3) Scottsdale rejected
4) USF Morton Plant rejected
5) UT at Tyler rejected
6) Bayfront at St Petesburg rejected
7) NYMC at St Vincent Queen Accepted
8) NH Dartmouth Accepted

applied to quite a few but have 5 so far.

1. AK
2. Baptist (AZ)
3. ME-dartmouth
4. Lynchburg
5. Glen Cove

applied to quite a few but have 5 so far.

1. AK
2. Baptist (AZ)
3. ME-dartmouth
4. Lynchburg
5. Glen Cove

If you end up at ME-Dartmouth, I know all of your senior residents. I went to medical school with them, and did rotations with most of them. That program is filled with the absolute nicest, most dedicated people from my class.

what an exciting time! good luck to everyone...maybe i'll meet some of you during interviews, doing all of mine in
January in this order:

UofMich
Duluth,MN
St. Vincent,FL
Halifax,FL
Spokane,WA
FamMedSW,WA
In His Image,OK
Greeley,CO
Ft Collins,CO
UofColorado-Rose
Grand Junction,CO
Scottsdale,AZ
StJoe,AZ

withdrew from UNLV and Midland Mich

First interview invite, VCU-fairfax family practice! I actually just submitted my app last night and got an invite this afternoon.

Doesn't that first interview feel great? Even though we know we are qualified, you breathe this sigh of relief when the first one comes in.

Keep 'em coming!

(and go post on the Radiology's Lead is Shrinking thread while you're at it--we're ahead!!)

SJ

ps: as it turns out, I now have an interview on 10/20, so I may be one of the earlier starts. I'll keep ya posted....

Congrats to everyone on the great interviews! I figured I'd add to the list:

U. Southern California
Harbor-UCLA
UC Davis
O'Connor Hospital, San Jose
Contra Costa County, Martinez
Methodist Hospital, Sacramento
Sutter, Sacramento
UCSF-Fresno
UCSF-Santa Rosa
Kaiser Orange County
UC San Diego

Good luck!

Who has the earliest interview?

Be sure to post about your day. I'm sure we'd all love to know what sorts of questions you were asked and all the juicy details!

My first one is November 9, so I'm sure many of you will be old hands at this by then...

I just can't wait to wear that suit that I spent a small fortune on...:rolleyes:

I had my first interview on 10/6.

My spouse and I had dinner with two residents and their spouses on the 5th. It was very laid back. We didn't talk too much about the residency itself. We mainly just visited about the city, entertainment options, housing, schools, etc.

On the 6th, I met three residents for rounds at 7:30AM. After that, I received a tour of the facility and met with residents and an assistant program director. My spouse met me and three different residents for lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch, I met with a couple of faculty members and the program director. The interview was over by 3PM.

Every resident and faculty member asked the same question: Do you have any questions about the program? After that we just discussed my interests and what the program has to offer.

The program director asked two questions: Do you have any questions regarding the program and what do you like to do when you're not working? It was extremely laid back.

It didn't really feel like an interview at all. It was more of an information exchange and a chance to get a feel for the faculty, residents and program.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you had a good experience. Sounds like a very relaxed day.

Somehow I think this is going to be a familiar theme...though I could be wrong.

I am waiting until all of my documents are in.

Should be Monday.

I applied to

Columbia (Bronx Program)
Beth Israel NY
Northshore LIJ-Glen Cove
Southside
South Nassau
Columbia (stamford CT)

Will update as they come in.

Can someone tell me what kind of scores are NYC programs looking for? with just a passing score is it reasonable to hope for an interview at those programs or should i expect more of community hospitals?
thanks

Not that anyone asked me but I would like to give some unsolicited advice. I'm a third year resident and wished I would have asked a few questions when evaluating my program choices....so here goes
1) Can you show me a third years procedure log? (the reason for this is if it isn't logged, it wasn't done. Some programs will tell you that you will do procedure X, so many times which may or may not be true. The proof is in the log book).

2)How many admissions does your medical service do each month? (this is one of the best ways to guage how busy you will be. There can be way to many, or not enough and only you can decide how busy you want to be).

3)What are the three biggest changes the program has undergone over the last three years, and what changes are you expecting in the future. (Basically a slick way of asking whats wrong with the program. If they say no changes were made, it is either a great program or they are resistant to change. I would bet on the latter.)

Anyway I hope this helps and I'm actually going to my first job interview today so wish me luck.

1. JPS in Fort Worth
2. McLennan County in Waco
3. Methodist Hospital, Houston
4. Memorial Hospital, Houston
5. UT-Tyler
6. Scott & White in Temple
7. Baylor in Garland
8. UTMB-Galveston

I've already been to my JPS interview, and it was a great experience! I enjoy being "wined and dined' - the preinterview social was a dinner at a lobster restaurant right next door to the B&B they put you up in, then they met us for breakfast, took us over to the hospital, and after the interviews and tours, they took us out for lunch! we even got little goodie bags!

Update
1. Fairfax family practice
2. Ohio State University (Main Program)
3. Aultman Hospital, Canton, OH

Only applied to three civilian programs because I'm in the Air Force and am hoping to do GME while on active duty.

However, my interviews include:
1. Cascades East FP, Klamath Falls, OR- already interviewed
2. Banner Good Sam, Phoenix, AZ- Nov
3. Baptist, Phoenix, AZ- Nov