FM Interviews 2006-07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I thought I'd get it going.

Where are you interviewing? And afterwards, what did you think? The more specific we are, the more we can help each other and future applicants by sharing info.

I'll start off with my interview offers so far:

1. John Peter Smith (Ft. Worth, TX)
2. Christus Santa Rosa (San Antonio, TX)

My ERAS application is complete except for LORs and Dean's letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, SophieJane! I can't wait to hear how your interviews go, and I look forward to hearing about everyone else's too!!!

1) University of Louisville at Glasgow - Glasgow, Kentucky
2) Ball State - Muncie, Indiana
3) Marshall University - West Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not quite sure how to start scheduling interviews b/c most will be out of state for me! So far...

1. University of Wisconsin at Madison
2. Fort Collins, CO
3. Contra Costa Family Medicine, Martinez, CA

2. Fort Collins, CO
3. Contra Costa Regional Medical Center, Martinez, CA
4. Sutter Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa, CA
5. Iowa Lutheran, Des Moines, Iowa

OK, so if it was me...I'd do Iowa and Wisconsin together--DesMoines isn't too far from Madison--just a few hours I think. They of course the CAs together...

Either way you are going to rack up the miles...

Congrats--those are some great programs!

I'm with you Lisa... i'm only applying to programs with a sports med fellowship so i'm going to be all over the place!

Shane

I'm with you Lisa... i'm only applying to programs with a sports med fellowship so i'm going to be all over the place!

Shane

Keep our program in Knoxville, TN in mind then. I think you'd like it. And the guy that's the Sports Med guru is great.

Add Ohio State, Columbus, Ohio to my list!

Oklahoma University Family Practice
Baylor
University of Kansas
UNLV
Family Medicine Residency of Idaho - Boise

Baylor
University of Kansas
UNLV

Which OU program did you get invite at??? Ok City, Tulsa, Etc?

Marquette, MI
Duluth, MN
Ft. Wayne, IN
Memorial Hospital, South Bend, IN
Southern Illinois University-Decatur, Decatur, IL

Anyone else get tons of weird paperwork to fill out and return? One of the programs (Decatur) sent this long survey where I have to check off whether or not my knowledge is "Adequate" in about 100 areas. The explanation is further muddied by the inclusion of the following statement in the description: "Checking YES does not necessarily imply competency or level of comfort in performing these procedures, but will provide some indication of your experiences". For procedures, I have to put a number. Not sure if this is supposed to be times I have performed the procedures or times I have seen it done. For some, I couldn't possibly come up with an accurate number (phlebotomies, general medical exam, general pediatric exam, fundoscopic exam, to name a few). YES I will be contacting them with questions. (Of course, saying "YES" when asked if I plan to contant them, does not imply my competency or level of comfort in doing so...)

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Fort Collins, CO
6. Exempla St. Josephs, Denver, CO

I live in Iowa so I'll probably drive to Madison (3 hours away) and Des Moines. Yes, I also got some questionnaires to fill out...some seem like the same questions from ERAS.

Anyone have second thoughts about programs that you originally selected in ERAS? I'm wondering if i'll have the energy (or $$) to go on 10 or so interviews.

I personally think 10 is too many for Family, but I guess this all depends on your application and how strong your numbers are, and how well you interview. But what do I know? I'm new at this too. ;)

Do you have a top 3 "on paper" ?

I was once told that if you passed both steps on the first try and weren't a complete idiot on interviews (play well with others, etc), that you had an excellent chance of getting your first choice in FM.

So far I have 5 interviews:
Asheville, NC
Hendersonville, NC
Portland, OR
Washington, PA
Williamsport, PA

:)

Just sent in my app this weekend and have my first interview.. I'm so excited! Yaay Boston!

3. Methodist Hospital (Dallas, TX)

(anyone noticing a trend here..?!)

I also got a kind of odd message last week from Conroe Family Medicine (Conroe, you guessed it, TX). They said they got my app and they are going to start scheduling interviews next week, and that she hoped to be able to offer me an interview then.

Huh? Why not just call with the interview offer, or not??

Anyway, I'm calling that my 3rd and 1/2 interview. :)

First congrats to all who have interviews. I have a question. I applied to 9 programs(in retrospect may have been to many- but the FM residencies I applied to all filled every year) and already have 6 interviews. I will need to set up interviews at other residencies during my showcase months. These are my top three and I don't want it to look bad that I have to take a day off. Any thoughts on how residencies view this.

(anyone noticing a trend here..?!)

I also got a kind of odd message last week from Conroe Family Medicine (Conroe, you guessed it, TX). They said they got my app and they are going to start scheduling interviews next week, and that she hoped to be able to offer me an interview then.

Huh? Why not just call with the interview offer, or not??

Anyway, I'm calling that my 3rd and 1/2 interview. :)

Sometimes I think that messages like that aren't meant to be ambiguous, they just come from people who aren't aware that they are poor communicators. I"m guessing that she meant to say either that they are starting to do interviews next week, and she hopes to schedule one with you (a non-sequitir), or that they will begin scheduling next week and want you to know this as a sort of FYI so that you don't fill up all of your availability with other programs that will contact you before then.

Either way, congrats so far, sounds like its going well!

The stars at night

Are big and bright

Clap Clap Clap Clap

:)

LOL, I don't know anything about TX except that song, and that Houston has alot of sprawl!

Actually, I don't really know that song either :)

4) Ohio State-Columbus, Ohio
5) UC Rural/CMH - Wilmington, Ohio

Yeah for everyone!

Here's the full list to where I applied; 8 interviews so far and 1 rejection (better than no answer at all I guess :) ). Has anyone received anything from the other programs I've listed (just for my own curiosity). Good Luck to everyone.

Cox Family Medicine Springfield, MO Received Interview Invite
RMC Family Med Anniston, AL Received Interview Invite
SIU Carbondale, IL Received Interview Invite
OU Rural Lawton, OK Received Interview Invite
AnMed Health Anderson, SC Recieved Interview Invite
UK Wesley FP Wesley, KS Received Interview Invite
Memorial South Bend, IN Received Interview Invite
OU Tulsa, OK Received Interview Invite
USF Clearwater, FL Received Interview Rejection
UAMS-AHEC NW Fayetteville, AR
UAMS-AHEC Fort Smith, AR
UT Jackson, TN
UT Memphis, TN
SIU Quincy, IL
ETSU Johnson City, TN
ETSU Bristol, TN
ETSU Kingsport, TN
In His Image Tulsa, OK
Spartanburg Regional Spartanburg, SC
Southern CO FP Pueblo, CO
Floyd Family Practice Rome, GA
SLU Belleville, IL
Trover Foundation Madisonville, KY
St. Joseph's South Bend, IN

First congrats to all who have interviews. I have a question. I applied to 9 programs(in retrospect may have been to many- but the FM residencies I applied to all filled every year) and already have 6 interviews. I will need to set up interviews at other residencies during my showcase months. These are my top three and I don't want it to look bad that I have to take a day off. Any thoughts on how residencies view this.

I think if you don't take more than one or two days off during each of your sub-I's you should be fine. The programs I've talked to so far are very understanding. Everyone is in the same boat.

You will likely interview at those programs while you are there on rotations, so that leaves 6 interviews to set up if you go on all 9 (which I think is probably a bit excessive unless you have some deficiencies and need a long rank order list).

You will likely interview at those programs while you are there on rotations, so that leaves 6 interviews to set up if you go on all 9 (which I think is probably a bit excessive unless you have some deficiencies and need a long rank order list).

I think 9 is a good number, even if your app is top-notch.

First of all, this is our only opportunity to really get out there and see what is available. I am really excited and curious about a couple of programs, and I know this is my only chance to find out if the hype is true, even though I probably won't go there b/c geography.... but who knows.

Also, I have several friends who ended up NOT going to the program they thought they would going into interview season because of what they discovered on the trail. I really wonder how this is going to go!!!

I also have a significant other to consider, so that has great potential to change my course.

Of course, by December I may be saying, "Gee, I think five interviews is perfect!":laugh: That's why I am trying to put my favorites up front!

I agree that the ideal number of interviews will differ for everyone. If you have a strong app and know where you want to go, just pick a few to interview with. If you're like me and have no idea where you want to go... :confused: hit 'em all! I don't want to risk missing my "perfect fit" because I crossed them off my list prematurely.
I'll be touring Florida and the Carolinas this winter:

Halifax - Daytona Beach, FL
Morton Plant Mease - Clearwater, FL
U of Florida - Gainesville, FL
Self Regional - Greenwood, SC
Spartanburg - Spartanburg, SC
McLeod - Florence, SC
MAHEC - Asheville, NC

I declined to interview at Greenville, SC

Still waiting to hear from Greensboro, NC! They finally downloaded my app off ERAS today. :thumbup:

I applied to SIU Quincy and St. Joseph's in South Bend and haven't heard from them either.

Add Union Hospital in Terre Haute, IN to my list :)

The one good thing about being a graduate applicant is that I don't have to ask for time off from rotations to interview. Just time off from my little adorable baby boy, who will miss his mommy :( I'm so glad I didn't do this last year when he was brand new

Congrats to everyone so far!

I applied to SIU Quincy and St. Joseph's in South Bend and haven't heard from them either.

Add Union Hospital in Terre Haute, IN to my list :)

The one good thing about being a graduate applicant is that I don't have to ask for time off from rotations to interview. Just time off from my little adorable baby boy, who will miss his mommy :( I'm so glad I didn't do this last year when he was brand new

Congrats to everyone so far!

Congrats Doc oc,

I also applied to st Joseph RMC, IN. no response yet.

interviews offered
1. memorial hosp of south bend, IN
2. st Vincent hosp, Indy, IN
3. Methodist hosp, sacramento, Ca
4. UC Davis med center, Ca
5. UC Davis Sutter, Ca

I may see you at memorial, south bend. It's a great program.
Applied 9 total. don't know if enough.

Thanks all for the responses. I just have to figure out when to interview, during which sub I.

4) Ohio State-Columbus, Ohio
5) UC Rural/CMH - Wilmington, Ohio
and...
6)Miami Valley Hospital - Dayton, Ohio
7) Grant Hospital - Columbus, Ohio

1) University of Iowa - Iowa City, IA
2) Siouxland - Sioux City, IA
3) Memorial - South Bend, IN
4) University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
5) Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids, MI

It looks like Memorial in South Bend is pretty popular among the SDNers.

Does anyone know much about Siouxland? I've heard good things about the program.

2. Fort Collins, CO
6. Exempla St. Josephs, Denver, CO
7. St. Anthony's, Denver, CO
8. University of Nebraska MC at Omaha

VuDOo, congrats! Your list is great. I have heard great things about Siouxland. They come to our procedure clinics at Univ. of Iowa and do a lot of local recruiting. I have met some of the residents and they are very friendly and happy at their program.

sophiejane said:
I was once told that if you passed both steps on the first try and weren't a complete idiot on interviews (play well with others, etc), that you had an excellent chance of getting your first choice in FM.

That's what one of our faculty members said also. I can't imagine you'd go more than two deep into your rank list if you passed both Steps on the first attempt and didn't make a complete a$$ of yourself during the interview.

I'm placing all of my eggs in the Wisconsin basket ;)
Applied to and interviewing at:

UW at Madison (11/13)
UW at Baraboo (rural track) (11/14)
UW at Wausau (12/4)
UW at Appleton (11/22)
UW at Eau Claire (waiting to schedule)

I'm placing all of my eggs in the Wisconsin basket ;)
Applied to and interviewing at:

UW at Madison (11/13)
UW at Baraboo (rural track) (11/14)
UW at Wausau (12/4)
UW at Appleton (11/22)
UW at Eau Claire (waiting to schedule)

What about LaCrosse? I heard there was a good program there.

Nice to keep it local--no plane fares!

Updating...

Marquette, MI
Duluth, MN
Ft. Wayne, IN
Memorial Hospital, South Bend, IN
Southern Illinois University-Decatur, Decatur, IL
Union Hospital, Terre Haute IN
Southern Illinois University-Quincy, IL

4. Conroe Family Medicine (Conroe, TX)
5. McLennan County Medical Education (Waco, TX)

Have yet to hear from the other two programs I applied to, but those were "safeties". My top 4 are covered, so I'm feeling pretty good!

How long is it taking most of you to hear back about interviews, on average?

Updating...

1) Duluth, MN
2) Marquette, MI
3) SIU Decatur,IL
4) SIU Quincy,IL
5) Ft Wayne, IN
6) Union Hospital, Terre Haute,IN
7) Memorial South Bend, IN
8) St. Joseph's Hospital South Bend, IN (just heard from today, via email)

One more to go...and I think that is more than enough!

I can apply to 6 through the AOA match if I want to, the other 3 have to be NRMP. I talked to one program today, and they told me that Res. 42 is different this year and that if you choose to match to a dually approved program through the NRMP instead of the AOA, you don't get the AOA approval. Anyone else heard of this? I am from Michigan, so the whole five states thing is important to me. I thought I could apply to all 9 through the NRMP then just rank them accordingly, and if I matched to an ACGME only, I could apply via Res 42. I'll have to get more info from the DO residents at the dinners before the interviews, but does anyone here have any experience with this?

How long is it taking most of you to hear back about interviews, on average?

A few responded the first week, and about 1-2 a week since Sept 1. I'm surprised so many have responded already - but one program told me that they try to interview DOs early in case they apply through the AOA match, which is earlier. I don't know if all dually approved programs do this. So on average, it's been 1-3 weeks.

There is still one I haven't heard from, but for some reason I expect a rejection. They were kind of weird when I asked a few questions via email, and didn't really answer the questions even with two emails! I decided to just ask them on the phone when I call to schedule an interview - if I am offered one.

I'm up to four, still with a bare bones of an application...

1) Boston University
2) Advocate Lutheran General - Chicago
3) Palmetto - U of South Carolina
4) South Bend St Josephs

yaay for everyone! :D

Have yet to hear from the other two programs I applied to, but those were "safeties". My top 4 are covered, so I'm feeling pretty good!

SophieJane, I'm super excited to hear about your interviews as they happen, since I'm a stay-in-Texas gal too. I'm jealous, I wish I could fast forward a year and start interviewing too! :) Congrats on those 5!!!

SophieJane, I'm super excited to hear about your interviews as they happen, since I'm a stay-in-Texas gal too. I'm jealous, I wish I could fast forward a year and start interviewing too! :) Congrats on those 5!!!

Aw, thank you! I will definitely keep you informed!

Even if I don't get any more invites, I'm pretty happy with those 5. ;)

The only programs I'm not applying to that I've heard consistently good things about are Tyler and Corpus Christi. Both are just too far for my family committments.

Aw, thank you! I will definitely keep you informed!

Even if I don't get any more invites, I'm pretty happy with those 5. ;)

The only programs I'm not applying to that I've heard consistently good things about are Tyler and Corpus Christi. Both are just too far for my family committments.

Yeah, I think I'll be applying to Tyler, but Corpus is too far away for me (as is San Antonio). I don't want to be any further from my family than I am now in Houston, which limits me to Houston area, Dallas area, Waco/Temple, or Tyler. My parents actually live about 30 miles north of Tyler, and that's where I grew up, so I wouldn't mind ending up there, but I have no idea what I'd do with my physics PhD husband in Tyler! lol. At least he could stay on at Baylor and do a post-doc if we were in Waco.

ETA: Yes, I'm happy for you with those 5!! Heck, you don't NEED any more invites. ;)

Baylor
University of Kansas
UNLV

Update:

Canceled Baylor

Added:
Fort Collins, CO
U of Colorado
U of Wisconsin

6. AMEP (Austin,TX)