FM Interviews 2006-07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is late, since my interview was quite a while ago, but I was very impressed with this program and wanted to share the love. :)

Pros:
1. Unopposed program in an urban hospital which is private, but sees many of the city's poorer and sicker population due to it's location, and the fact that the University Hospital that is SUPPOSED to serve the indigent population is located on the other side of town in a suburban neighborhood.

2. Excellent didactics and teaching. This program prides itself on that, and for good reason. Some of the smartest attendings and residents I've run across.

3. Happy residents. Genuinely nice and fun-loving bunch of people who work hard but also play hard.

4. True night float. Enough said.

5. Wonderful new clinic facilities with EMR on the same campus as the hospital. Well-run, well-equipped, and busy.

6. San Antonio is a great city. Lots of personality, lots of character, lots of great Mexican food!

7. Excellent rapport between residents and between residents and faculty.

Cons:

The only con I can really find with this program (and it's not a big one) is that it offers less procedural experience than some other unopposed programs I've interviewd at, and OB, while fairly strong, is not outstandingly strong. There are two OB faculty, but most deliveries are done on private patients of an OBGYN group that is affiliated with the program, although their docs aren't faculty, so teaching and volume can be hit and miss. It just makes for a slightly disjointed experience on OB, but residents claim to easily get 100-200 deliveries by graduation.

THEY HAVE EMR?!?!?! :eek: When I was looking for a way to cut down on my interviews I noticed that the info on the AAFP page said they did not have EMR. So I cancelled it. Oh well. :(

Members don't see this ad.

THEY HAVE EMR?!?!?! :eek: When I was looking for a way to cut down on my interviews I noticed that the info on the AAFP page said they did not have EMR. So I cancelled it. Oh well. :(

I think they are easily one of the top 3 in the state--but a hidden gem, for some reason. By far the best faculty I've seen at any of the programs I interviewed at, and also the brightest residents. It's a very well rounded program with very few weak points.

I'd thought there would have been an explosion of program reviews and rank order lists after the submission deadline. but nothin! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if people are worried about looking bad if they don't match their #1....

Well, since I have so little of my ego left intact after 4 years of medical school, here goes with mine. I can honestly say I would be thrilled to be at either my #1 or #2 and very happy to be at my #3 (which is #3 only because of location and family constraints)....

1. Waco
2. Christus Santa Rosa
3. JPS
4. Austin
5. Conroe
6. Memorial (Houston)

I don't mind either. I had a great time on all my interviews and had a tough time deciding among my top 3. The common thread among those being that they're strong in Family Med and Sports Medicine - also have family and/or friends close by.

1) Moses Cone - Greensboro, NC
2) Macneal - Chicago
3) South Bend St Josephs
4) Carolinas - Charlotte
5) Resurrection - Chicago
6) Palmetto/U of South Carolina

I'll play:

1) Memorial - South Bend, IN
2) Duluth, MN
3) Siouxland - Sioux City, IA

Here's my list (couple match compromise)

1) UNC
2) UMich
3) Univ of Rochester
4) Crozer Keystone
5) Albany
6) Allina
7) Columbia St Mary's

I didn't rank a few great programs: UC Davis, Long Beach, Sutter Sacramento (my husband got no CA interviews).

I also didn't rank some I didn't like so much: Mayo, North Memorial-Univ minnesota, Hunterdon, U Penn, St. Lukes-Bethlehem, UPMC- St. Margaret.

All came to gut and couple's match compatibility.

Ask and you shall receive.....

1) U of Buffalo - Urban center
2) U of Buffalo - Suburban center
3) Fairview Hospital
4) U of Rochester
5) JFK Medical center
6) MCW/St Josephs

For me, location and family contraints are a big factor. Good luck to all!

Here's my list (couple match compromise)

1) UNC
2) UMich
3) Univ of Rochester
4) Crozer Keystone
5) Albany
6) Allina
7) Columbia St Mary's

hi MDwoochie, can you please how was your interview at columbia st. mary's?
what type of Qs do they ask?
Do they ask medical Qs?
Thank you.

hi MDwoochie, can you please how was your interview at columbia st. mary's?
what type of Qs do they ask?
Do they ask medical Qs?
Thank you.

Loved this program. It would be #1 , but the couple's match knocked it off. I didn't get asked any medical questions. It was very laid back. they have really nice facilities. I didn't get to meet the Prog director in person, but he called me post interview, and he was really nice. Loved the asst prog director, and pretty much everyone else I met.

hi ,
just wanted to have some information if any one interviewed at Univeristy of wisconsin - fox valley Applenton , i need some information regarding it

Ask and you shall receive.....

1) U of Buffalo - Urban center
2) U of Buffalo - Suburban center
3) Fairview Hospital
4) U of Rochester
5) JFK Medical center
6) MCW/St Josephs

For me, location and family contraints are a big factor. Good luck to all!

Can you please tell me how was your interview at MCW/St. Josephs?
what kind of questions do they ask? Do you like the program?
Thank you.

Can you please tell me how was your interview at MCW/St. Josephs?
what kind of questions do they ask? Do you like the program?
Thank you.

Ruchita,

The my interview was very informal. Ie) tell me about yourself, Why did you choose FM? etc. There was absolutely no pimping.

The Residents were all nice. The PD is new (just started 8months ago), she was nice and a little head-strong (in a good way). The program use to be at St Michaels but it closed down and it moved to St Josephs this year....this made me question the programs stability.

Ruchita,

The my interview was very informal. Ie) tell me about yourself, Why did you choose FM? etc. There was absolutely no pimping.

The Residents were all nice. The PD is new (just started 8months ago), she was nice and a little head-strong (in a good way). The program use to be at St Michaels but it closed down and it moved to St Josephs this year....this made me question the programs stability.

Thank you Bacon,
Yes, as I know its financially in trouble and they are taking only 3 seats for the match.