Fiek School of Pharmacy (UIW), San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was an officer with the UIW pre-pharm association for a year and a half and pre-pharm senator for a year, so I got to know both Mrs. Hernandez and Ms. DiCianna pretty well. Those are the people that have said they went pretty deep into the waitlist for the year ahead of me and my year. It will probably be that way until we get fully accredited and then it will drop off a bit. I'm sure they will still have to go into the wait list b/c some people just don't want to deal with the debt that will come from attending private school.

Off the top of my head, I don't have a specific number but I can ask on Tuesday when I go to campus if you want some reassurances.

Members don't see this ad.

I was an officer with the UIW pre-pharm association for a year and a half and pre-pharm senator for a year, so I got to know both Mrs. Hernandez and Ms. DiCianna pretty well. Those are the people that have said they went pretty deep into the waitlist for the year ahead of me and my year. It will probably be that way until we get fully accredited and then it will drop off a bit. I'm sure they will still have to go into the wait list b/c some people just don't want to deal with the debt that will come from attending private school.

Off the top of my head, I don't have a specific number but I can ask on Tuesday when I go to campus if you want some reassurances.

oh that's cool. i actually already got accepted, i'm just asking for a lot of my friends who are on the waitlist.....but if you could get info that would be great! :D
thanks.

oh that's cool. i actually already got accepted, i'm just asking for a lot of my friends who are on the waitlist.....but if you could get info that would be great! :D
thanks.

I can't get specific info on where they are on the list, but I should be able to find out how long the list is and how far they went into the list the past two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't get specific info on where they are on the list, but I should be able to find out how long the list is and how far they went into the list the past two years.

oh ok. yeah, i can't wait till august. any advice for a soon to be P1?

its saturday night and I am stuck @ home........booo

its saturday night and I am stuck @ home........booo

haha i'm at home too...no worries. And i'm underage so it's not like i can just go bar hopping :( oh well. congrats on your acceptance by the way!

oh ok. yeah, i can't wait till august. any advice for a soon to be P1?

Take it EASY over the summer. If you feel like it and haven't already, take an intro to speech class to get yourself used to speaking in front of a group and putting together a presentation. You'll do plenty of it in P1 and in multiple courses. Try to save up as much as you can, but still have fun and relax.

If you haven't gotten the book list from me or someone else yet, I'll be glad to send it to you, just give me a personal email b/c it's an excel file and I don't think I can send it through this system. Try to get as many books through barnes and noble, half.com, etc but order them early b/c the sellers can be slow shipping them sometimes.

If you don't already have a good stock of professional clothes, go check out places like Stein Mart and the clearance racks at places like JC Penny's, Dillard's and Macy's. I know a good tailor that charges only $10 to $15 to take in the length of pants. That's how I get all of my dress pants, I just make sure they fit around the waist and that they aren't too off on the length. He's pretty fast, too. It will only take about four to seven days to get them back.

Have a fun summer and we'll see you in August! We can't wait to meet all of you! :luck:

It would be cool to put ppl's faces to these screen names, ya know?

but anyway, i have a question for those who are already accepted. are ya finished with the 80 hours of observation in a pharmacy?? i have observed since january and now finishing up this week; i have about 150 hrs. my problem is that I've observed about 10-15 pharmacists and I was wondering if I need to get everyone's license numbers ... cuz the forms that the school require us to fill only has up to four spots for four different pharmacists. anyway i figure i'll give them a call tuesday.. did ya submit this already?

It would be cool to put ppl's faces to these screen names, ya know?

but anyway, i have a question for those who are already accepted. are ya finished with the 80 hours of observation in a pharmacy?? i have observed since january and now finishing up this week; i have about 150 hrs. my problem is that I've observed about 10-15 pharmacists and I was wondering if I need to get everyone's license numbers ... cuz the forms that the school require us to fill only has up to four spots for four different pharmacists. anyway i figure i'll give them a call tuesday.. did ya submit this already?

i'm a tech so i don't have to do the observation hours. But you need to have documentation of all the pharmacist that signed your log sheet. if you need another sheet, print one off online.

i'm a tech so i don't have to do the observation hours. But you need to have documentation of all the pharmacist that signed your log sheet. if you need another sheet, print one off online.

I wouldn't be so sure, unless they changed something. I had to turn them in even though I was a tech for 18 months before I got in. If you didn't hear that from Kristen or Liz, I would give them a yell to make sure. I think it has to do something with showing a record that you did complete at least 80 hours of observational time.

I just want to say that those accepted are truly blessed and they shall never forget the promises they made to themselves during the hard journey of admission.:luck:
Having the support of professional Founders (Dr.Rita & John Feik) and being headed by the dean Dr. J. who is the only female AA to ever found a school of pharmacy and the only female to start two schools of pharmacy and in addition the educational team of the school are insuring the full accreditation of the school in 2010.:luck:
To spend 4 years in the nice & new building of the school has become my dream, I am in the waiting list and have tried to know my position in the list but have not succeeded.
I was told that we will have some information on May19, but no news so far, May be it is due to holidays or because I am in Dallas.
Does anybody know how many applicants have remained in the wait list?
Good Luck to all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to say that those accepted are truly blessed and they shall never forget the promises they made to themselves during the hard journey of admission.:luck:
Having the support of professional Founders (Dr.Rita & John Feik) and being headed by the dean Dr. J. who is the only female AA to ever found a school of pharmacy and the only female to start two schools of pharmacy and in addition the educational team of the school are insuring the full accreditation of the school in 2010.:luck:
To spend 4 years in the nice & new building of the school has become my dream, I am in the waiting list and have tried to know my position in the list but have not succeeded.
I was told that we will have some information on May19, but no news so far, May be it is due to holidays or because I am in Dallas.
Does anybody know how many applicants have remained in the wait list?
Good Luck to all of you.

they delayed when they were going to contact students b/c the dean was out of town.. He should be back in. why dont you call and see if they have begun making calls or if they are sending out letters. The only reason I found out last week was b/c I have talked to Dicianna a million times since i started applying so she knew I was extremely stressed out.

i sent all the counselors two emails and no response. gave them a call and no response. guess they took a break. anybody on the wait-list got a call today??? i'll be on the lookout

they delayed when they were going to contact students b/c the dean was out of town.. He should be back in. why dont you call and see if they have begun making calls or if they are sending out letters. The only reason I found out last week was b/c I have talked to Dicianna a million times since i started applying so she knew I was extremely stressed out.

You very well know the feeling of being on the wait list after graduation, you have no way in front of you to move, you can only sit and look at the sky & clouds and pray.
I have called both Mrs. Hernandez and Ms. Dicianna earlier and also today, both are so kind and they understand our situation; they are advising to keep faith & wait.:)

hey realchemist, i got an email from Liz Hernandez, and she said they will begin making calls tomorrow! yay! so good luck to the both of us! we all want this very badly cuz UIW is a good school. like everyone says everything happens for a reason.
like utsa, i email all of them a lot; i think they memorized my email address. lol.

This should come as both a blessing and a warning to all of you. I overheard Ms. DiCianna saying today that she called someone and after she said who she was, they hung up on her. She called back and they hung up again. That's one more off the wait list for sure that will benefit someone below that person. :D

wow they could have just politely denied the offer. some professional, sheesh

Hey IrishMan, did you get the chance to ask how deep they gotten into the list years before?

No, I didn't have a chance today, but I should tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear something tomorrow! my prayers will be with yall.

This should come as both a blessing and a warning to all of you. I overheard Ms. DiCianna saying today that she called someone and after she said who she was, they hung up on her. She called back and they hung up again. That's one more off the wait list for sure that will benefit someone below that person. :D

If all agree we will have a research headed by IrishRxMan to find the right drug for curing the ill manners, I know the name of the drug in advance; it is called “ Education”.:)

hey realchemist, i got an email from Liz Hernandez, and she said they will begin making calls tomorrow! yay! so good luck to the both of us! we all want this very badly cuz UIW is a good school. like everyone says everything happens for a reason.
like utsa, i email all of them a lot; i think they memorized my email address. lol.

Thanks for the information eggroll and Good luck .

If all agree we will have a research headed by IrishRxMan to find the right drug for curing the ill manners, I know the name of the drug in advance; it is called “ Education”.:)

Alternative therapy would be a size 10 boot to the...wait, that would be ill mannered of me, lol! :D

what i meant was it is really ill manner to hang up the call of anybody.:)

what i meant was it is really ill manner to hang up the call of anybody.:)

Sorry for the misperception. As it has been said before, I wish there was a sarcastic emoticon you could use. I got what you were saying and I was making a sarcastic comment using part of what you said.

Headed to San Antonio tomorrow to find a place to live!!

If any residents are doing anything thurs night, send me a PM, I am going to be busy during the daytime, but I wanted to hang out in the evening or night.

The Agony!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared::eek::oops:

To all the current students at Incarnate Word-
I was just wondering what you thought of the pharmacy program and if you would suggest me going there. I have already put my deposit down and just got a call from anther school. I don't know whether or not to chose your school? Can you tell me what the courseload is like and if you would consider it to be easier or harder than other programs? Do you have time to enjoy life still?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful week = )

:( hey you guys.... has anyone heard anything today as far as being taken off the waitlist and accepted?

does anyone know if calls were even made today?

Sorry for the misperception. As it has been said before, I wish there was a sarcastic emoticon you could use. I got what you were saying and I was making a sarcastic comment using part of what you said.

Hey IrishRxMan, we are fine with no misperception ; in fact I thank you very much for supporting the last waiting list passengers of this journey.

does anyone know if calls were even made today?

Calls were supposed to be made today. Haven't gotten a call yet. I wonder how long these second round of calls suppose to last? Nobody on SDN posted anything today. So.. I dunno. But I can wait a little bit longer; this is soooo stressful!! I wish they give us our ranking!

STILL HOPING! GL!

To all the current students at Incarnate Word-
I was just wondering what you thought of the pharmacy program and if you would suggest me going there. I have already put my deposit down and just got a call from anther school. I don't know whether or not to chose your school? Can you tell me what the courseload is like and if you would consider it to be easier or harder than other programs? Do you have time to enjoy life still?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful week = )

I'm not a current student but the overall impression I had of the University was very positive. The staff members I have met have been very supportive and kind. Some of the pharmacy students have been really helpful on this website (esp. Irishman) in passing information regarding the program. I think it's fair to state there is a strong sense of camaraderie among the students. With respect to the pharm d program I'm sure it's challenging at any school. There's a link on the school's website that shows the fall schedule - maybe that will help answer some of your questions. For me, the reason I accepted because as cliche as it sounds, the moment I stepped into the building there was a sense of peace in my heart that told me this was the school for me.

I'm not a current student but the overall impression I had of the University was very positive. The staff members I have met have been very supportive and kind. Some of the pharmacy students have been really helpful on this website (esp. Irishman) in passing information regarding the program. I think it's fair to state there is a strong sense of camaraderie among the students. With respect to the pharm d program I'm sure it's challenging at any school. There's a link on the school's website that shows the fall schedule - maybe that will help answer some of your questions. For me, the reason I accepted because as cliche as it sounds, the moment I stepped into the building there was a sense of peace in my heart that told me this was the school for me.

i had the same feeling too....you're not alone :D

----------------

Good luck everyone!

I was reading the Class Thread, and somebody got pulled/called yesterday.:D Hope there's good news for everyone else here soon..

I was reading the Class Thread, and somebody got pulled/called yesterday.:D Hope there's good news for everyone else here soon..

Im rooting for ya!

Ok, I spoke with Ms. DiCianna this morning. Without going into much detail to give a false sense of hope I'll give you what I know.

First, think about how many people got interviews versus how many spots there are. The wait list isn't going to be huge.

Second, they pull from the waitlist all the way into August. Like I said before, they pulled someone on the Wednesday of orientation week and he's still with us. You just need to be ready in case you get the call that late. In the military, we went by the philosophy "hope for the best, expect the worst." This means, prepare for going to undergrad in the fall but if you get the call you can cancel the classes.

Third, UT hasn't even started to go through their waitlist yet. When they start going through their waitlist, things will start moving faster.

Just be patient, I know it's harder than a coffin nail but try to do things that take your mind off of it.

Thank-you UTSA and SMRX!!;) It's hard to stay motivated when you don't know anything about your placement on the list. I'm probably at the top of the bottom of the list. I want that call!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you UTSA and SMRX!!;) It's hard to stay motivated when you don't know anything about your placement on the list. I'm probably at the top of the bottom of the list. I want that call!!!!!!!!!

We're all rooting for you eggroll! As soon as you receive your acceptance letter I think we should all go out for drinks! :D

Ok, I spoke with Ms. DiCianna this morning. Without going into much detail to give a false sense of hope I'll give you what I know.

First, think about how many people got interviews versus how many spots there are. The wait list isn't going to be huge.

Second, they pull from the waitlist all the way into August. Like I said before, they pulled someone on the Wednesday of orientation week and he's still with us. You just need to be ready in case you get the call that late. In the military, we went by the philosophy "hope for the best, expect the worst." This means, prepare for going to undergrad in the fall but if you get the call you can cancel the classes.

Third, UT hasn't even started to go through their waitlist yet. When they start going through their waitlist, things will start moving faster.

Just be patient, I know it's harder than a coffin nail but try to do things that take your mind off of it.

Thank you for informing us the situation ,as you stated I will wait with the best of my patience.

Thank you for informing us the situation ,as you stated I will wait with the best of my patience.

I have a friend that is on the waitlist as well and Ms. DiCianna told me that she is kind of far down on the list. I am hoping that she gets the call because that would mean that most of you still waiting will have already gotten a call. I wish the best of luck to all of you and I hope you can find something that you can do to take your mind off the stress of not knowing what to prepare for. I hope to see you all, if not this August, next August. 

I got in. Although my wife would love to stay here in San Antonio, I think economiclly it would suit us better to go to A&M. So one more spot should open soon! Good luck everyone.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how long the waitlist was this year? just out of curiosity, some of my friends are on the waitlist as well.

Hey IrishMan, I present the following to you who have helped the waiting list passengers to be patient & helped me to wait with faith.

Author of the best-selling Harry Potter book series, delivers her Commencement Address at the Annual Meeting of the Harvard Alumni Association:

http://harvardmagazine.com/go/jkrowling.html

Last edited:
I wish all that are still awaiting a call the best of luck. The summer is still young and there is hope! Great commencement address btw.