Fiek School of Pharmacy (UIW), San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry I have not been on in a while, I have just not been in the mood to really think about post-graduation, since I got waitlisted at UIW. I understand that I could still get in, but it still does not make me feel any better at the moment. I know that it was not my grades or my PCAT or my letters or rec, which leaves with me with two possible options: it was my interview, or my essay.

What I can say is that it feels horrible to be graduating and having no idea what the heck I am going to do next year, if i don't happen to get called (I am not being positive about getting a call back)

What sucks the most I think is having my parents tell me that the reason I did not get in is b/c I have the wrong friends and boyfriend and that thats the reason God did not bless me. I am only human, I make mistakes, but I can only learn from the negative and have a positive outlook on life.

sorry if I am ranting here, I just don't really want to vent to my friends, they have been so supportive of me and they have put up with my crying when I did not get in, so I figured it was time to give them a break..

On a positive note thanks to all the people that lent a supportive word to my situation, its really nice that you took time out of you day to make me feel a little bit better, I kind of feel I am not getting much of that at home :D so Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Utsatwirler, I know what you are talking about, cuz I'm in the same situation here.... The only thing I care about is getting into pharm school, seriously if I get in, I consider it my biggest accomplishment in life... it's not about making good grades or graduating with a degree in three years, it's about getting into prof. school.. for me at least... i'm not trying to sound arrogant and say that life's easy... im asian, and my folks always stressed that education's important, blah-blah (so studying is my whole lifestyle).. Im just saying that getting in would be the most biggest ambition of my life-- that I would be happy for MY achievements! i'm walking the stage this Saturday, and i don't have the slightest joy for it... cuz i dont know what to do next year... i have to take the GRE which I will study for this June... and still sign up for A&P I&II to finish UIW's pre-req this summer, and apply for grad school.... i probably be applying to schools in san antonio even... which schools are good btw?

i talked to one of my closest friends about this, and she said that everyones been thru a bad time, that this was God's test for me. as a matter of fact, i know three ppl who were put on the waitlist last year for pharm school, and they all got in this year. so im trying to keep a positive outlook here too... and i need to! cuz i have a biochem and a physiology final this week, and then ill be finished. thank-you sdn for ya's support! it means a lot to me!

The wait list isn't a death sentence. They always go into the wait list and they contact throughout the summer, but it depends on how many people have already accepted elsewhere. Last year, they gave the call to a guy on either the Wednesday or Thursday of orientation week. He is still a member of my class. Definitely finish your pre-reqs. If you don't end up getting the call, contact Ms. DiCianna, Mrs. Hernandez, or Dr. Coleman and find out what area(s) you were deficient in and what you have to do to change them. There were three people that applied last year that got in this year, so it's possible. It just depends on how bad you want it. A man called Randy Pausch says brick walls are put there to show just how badly you want it and to keep those out that don't want it bad enough.

Not going to lie, that Randy Pausch motivated me! And...I was one of the 3 who got waitlisted last year and got in this year. So there IS hope. If I can do it, anyone can :) good luck!

oh and youtube Randy Pausch. His speech is very inspiring!

Members don't see this ad :)
Utsatwirler, I know what you are talking about, cuz I'm in the same situation here.... The only thing I care about is getting into pharm school, seriously if I get in, I consider it my biggest accomplishment in life... it's not about making good grades or graduating with a degree in three years, it's about getting into prof. school.. for me at least... i'm not trying to sound arrogant and say that life's easy... im asian, and my folks always stressed that education's important, blah-blah (so studying is my whole lifestyle).. Im just saying that getting in would be the most biggest ambition of my life-- that I would be happy for MY achievements! i'm walking the stage this Saturday, and i don't have the slightest joy for it... cuz i dont know what to do next year... i have to take the GRE which I will study for this June... and still sign up for A&P I&II to finish UIW's pre-req this summer, and apply for grad school.... i probably be applying to schools in san antonio even... which schools are good btw?

i talked to one of my closest friends about this, and she said that everyones been thru a bad time, that this was God's test for me. as a matter of fact, i know three ppl who were put on the waitlist last year for pharm school, and they all got in this year. so im trying to keep a positive outlook here too... and i need to! cuz i have a biochem and a physiology final this week, and then ill be finished. thank-you sdn for ya's support! it means a lot to me!

Man, don't sweat it. I'm asian too, Vietnamese to be exact. My parents are beyond traditional! Everyone in my family is in the medical field. They stressed education like white on rice. Last year, when I got wait listed, they literally told me every BS about why I didnt get in. Either it was my pcat, grades, friends, gf's, going out every now and then, not studying, etc. Throw it out there and they probably blamed that on why I didn't get in. Even worst, they COMPARED me to my cousins. Saying if they could do it, then I could to. Of course, I can do it! But maybe it wasn't my time to do it. Even my cousins brag about it. My cousin is an orthodontist and a few are pharmacists already. One just got into med school for next fall! So don't fret. I know how it is.

Point is, don't let them bother you. Find out what you can improve on and improve on it. Take it as a learning experience as I did. I bet I learned MORE from my experience than anyone else in the same shoes that acted differently towards it. In the end, stressing over it and taking all the BS from your friends and family isn't going to help. It's only making things worst. It's not the end of the world. If you want it that bad, it will happen. If happened to me, it'll happen to anyone, and that's from someone whose not all that religious. Good luck!

Honestly I would go with UTSA only because it is cheaper than the private schools in the area. If you just want to go to a community college for your prereqs you can apply for the ACCD (alamo community college district).

If money is not a problem and you want a private university you could always go to UIW, St. Mary's, or Trinity.

I'm getting my BS in Biology (graduating in 4 days:D) from UTSA. I really liked it there so, I would choose that school :D Hope that helps

Trinity University has a good Masters in Health Care Administration program. Trinity is a great school (of course, I went there, so I am biased).

i got the letter yesterday..... i got in and i'm declinig..... already got in to tech ... so heres a another spot for someone else god luck to all!!!!!

To those who are waitlisted or did not get in this year, don't give up hope. You will have to try again next year. I also know several people who were waitlisted and they got into Pharm school the next year.

BTW, I couldn't choose between medical, dental or pharm school, but I knew I wanted to be in the health field, so I went back to school and got my Masters. Yes, my parents are very strict and the Masters degree I have is not good enough. What I learned really help me decided that Pharmacy is what I want to go into. For anyone who is interested, UTSA has a good MS in Biology or Bio Tech degree. Also, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio has several Masters programs.

To those who are waitlisted or did not get in this year, don't give up hope. You will have to try again next year. I also know several people who were waitlisted and they got into Pharm school the next year.

BTW, I couldn't choose between medical, dental or pharm school, but I knew I wanted to be in the health field, so I went back to school and got my Masters. Yes, my parents are very strict and the Masters degree I have is not good enough. What I learned really help me decided that Pharmacy is what I want to go into. For anyone who is interested, UTSA has a good MS in Biology or Bio Tech degree. Also, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio has several Masters programs.

Have you thought of optometry if pharmacy doesn't work out? There's a new program starting up in the fall at UIW and I think the professional program starts in two years.

If anyone hasn't heard, Our Lady of the Lake University's old main building went up in a four alarm fire tonight. The building has stood since 1895.

Wow! That is terrible... :(

If anyone hasn't heard, Our Lady of the Lake University's old main building went up in a four alarm fire tonight. The building has stood since 1895.

One of my best friend's fathers (not that one that attends UIW) is a dean at the school and is office is in the Moye building that went up in flames tonight.

I think that it is so tragic that San Antonio might loose on of there historical landmarks tonight

I took art history this year, and I never thought I would ever care about what happened to historical buildings, but honestly it is a beautiful campus, and its got many gothic and romanesque features to it. I would hate to see it be replaced by a modern design.

i'm walking the stage this Saturday, and i don't have the slightest joy for it... cuz i dont know what to do next year...

I would definitely attend your graduation. Last year, I was in a similar spot, and while I attended the graduations of all of my friends (one of which had the same ceremony as mine), I made up some excuse to avoid walking. I avoided my graduation because it felt hollow and embarrassing at the time: All of my friends had jobs and graduate school lined up, and I was that one guy in limbo. I convinced myself that I didn't have anything to celebrate.

A year later, I certainly regret not walking during graduation. Some people say it's just a 3 hour waste of time, and if that is truly how someone feels about it, then that is okay. But if you're considering not walking because of shame or disappointment, then I would brush those aside. It may feel awkward now, but when you find a job, or when you go to pharmacy school, you'll have wished that you "paid your dues" at graduation.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I have not been on in a while, I have just not been in the mood to really think about post-graduation, since I got waitlisted at UIW. I understand that I could still get in, but it still does not make me feel any better at the moment. I know that it was not my grades or my PCAT or my letters or rec, which leaves with me with two possible options: it was my interview, or my essay.

What I can say is that it feels horrible to be graduating and having no idea what the heck I am going to do next year, if i don't happen to get called (I am not being positive about getting a call back)

What sucks the most I think is having my parents tell me that the reason I did not get in is b/c I have the wrong friends and boyfriend and that thats the reason God did not bless me. I am only human, I make mistakes, but I can only learn from the negative and have a positive outlook on life.

sorry if I am ranting here, I just don't really want to vent to my friends, they have been so supportive of me and they have put up with my crying when I did not get in, so I figured it was time to give them a break..

On a positive note thanks to all the people that lent a supportive word to my situation, its really nice that you took time out of you day to make me feel a little bit better, I kind of feel I am not getting much of that at home :D so Thanks :D

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are being hard on you. I know it's difficult but try your best to ignore the negativity that comes your way. You are so close to obtaining your goal - don't give up now!!

I still think there are a good chance for those wait listed, I have seen more people post declines than those who are accepting the offer..

hey guys! i just got accepted on monday =D Congratulations to everyone..so are there any indians going to UIW?

hey so where is everyone staying!? I have no idea where I want to stay. What is the closest closest thing to campus??

hey guys! i just got accepted on monday =D Congratulations to everyone..so are there any indians going to UIW?

I don't know about the class of 2012, but there are a few in the class of 2010 and about six or seven in the class of 2011.

I had granberry and this journalism professor for my interview. I thought both of them were cool. I received my letter on May 5th after agonizing days of waiting. But it was a relief to get accepted after UT rejected me.

Does anyone have an idea what areas in SA are nice meaning peaceful, quiet, and secure to reside in? I am moving from Houston and would like some suggestions from those that live in SA. I only know of Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.

Does anyone have an idea what areas in SA are nice meaning peaceful, quiet, and secure to reside in? I am moving from Houston and would like some suggestions from those that live in SA. I only know of Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.

I used to live in Alamo Heights... I recommend it (if you can afford it). It is close and a nice quiet area.

accepted students to UIW 2012
go to this page for info,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=520089

faizal, scroll the pages and you will find the info you are looking for.

other news, I called the school yesterday for something, and on the side note I asked about confirmation letters. they said it has to be post marked by the 12th- yesterday. so those of you on the waiting list, dont give up to quick, I guess they are still gonna have to collect everything by the end of the week and maybe mid- end next week they will send some more letters. there is hope yet!! Congrats to all of you who graduated last week!

just wondering here... when they pulling ppl off the list, how do they usually notify ppl? by mail, e-mail, or phone?

just wondering here... when they pulling ppl off the list, how do they usually notify ppl? by mail, e-mail, or phone?

I think I remember Ms. Dicianna mentioning they make phone calls..so make sure you have your cell phone on you at all times! :D

she mentioned that they were either sending out letters on or by the 19th..

yes i emailed ms. dicianna, and she said that they'll start down the list and notifying ppl by mail and phone this week. so im rooting for you utsatwirler and others!

keepin faith here!!

Good luck everyone! I'm pulling for y'all!

Good luck everyone! hopefully we'll get our calls or mail tomorrow with some good news in it!

yes i emailed ms. dicianna, and she said that they'll start down the list and notifying ppl by mail and phone this week. so im rooting for you utsatwirler and others!

keepin faith here!!

good luck to you too!!! thanx for your support!

Full support from my end too, I hope the best news for you guys!!

UTSA, I am going to A&M, so one more seat is open. I will e-mail the admission office tomorrow to withdraw my acceptance.

Any word yet? I'm also on the waitlist.

I talked to dicianna today, she said the we probably wouldn't hear anything until next week.

UTSA, thanks for the call! I was nervous every time i picked up the phone today, but they were all telemarketers.

So guys I have a question?? How do I change my status from pre-pharmacy to accepted ???? :D I got my call today! I am in!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for their support.

Don't worry for the ones on the waitlist, ya'll should be getting calls by next week!

So guys I have a question?? How do I change my status from pre-pharmacy to accepted ???? :D I got my call today! I am in!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for their support.

Don't worry for the ones on the waitlist, ya'll should be getting calls by next week!

Congrats utsatwirler! Welcome to the family! I hope that you put the waitlist ordeal behind you and recognize that you truly deserve your seat! It is tuff getting into pharmacy school these days, many students work hard and unfortunately come up short, that is why I call the fact that we have this opportunity indeed a blessing. Thats why I dont understand how some of us can be so arrogant about everything. Anyway, remember your experience when times get difficult in pharmacy school, use it to inspire yourself that you can make it through anything. Although I dont know you, I can feel your passion for pharmacy through your posts. Use the fact that you are a SA native to help your classmates with their adjustment. You will probably be a leader in your class. If you guys begin bonding now, trust me it will make things that much easier for you and everyone in your class later. Congratulations! Good luck! We look forward to meeting all of you guys in the class of 2012! Go FSOP! and Go Spurs!:D

Congrats utsatwirler! Welcome to the family! I hope that you put the waitlist ordeal behind you and recognize that you truly deserve your seat! It is tuff getting into pharmacy school these days, many students work hard and unfortunately come up short, that is why I call the fact that we have this opportunity indeed a blessing. Thats why I dont understand how some of us can be so arrogant about everything. Anyway, remember your experience when times get difficult in pharmacy school, use it to inspire yourself that you can make it through anything. Although I dont know you, I can feel your passion for pharmacy through your posts. Use the fact that you are a SA native to help your classmates with their adjustment. You will probably be a leader in your class. If you guys begin bonding now, trust me it will make things that much easier for you and everyone in your class later. Congratulations! Good luck! We look forward to meeting all of you guys in the class of 2012! Go FSOP! and Go Spurs!:D

Thank you so much! I do believe it was a blessing that I was offered a seat, and have the opportunity to become a pharmacist, gain so much more knowledge, and will be able to meet people with the same passions as I do! I cannot wait to start school! I dont think that i have ever said that before but I am saying it now! I would love to help anyone who needs help adjusting to san antonio, I am now looking for a roommate to live over by campus! Hopefully I will find someone who likes my puppies that would want to room with me!

After everything, I can look back and say that I can truly appreciate what God has given me and that everything happens for a reason. I was so bummed when i got waitlisted but i never gave up on my faith and love for Jesus, and I think that is what got me through the whole ordeal (and some chocolate binges)

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all get to meet each other soon!

I can stop reading this forum now... The last thing I cared about was seeing utsatwirler getting an acceptance. :clap:

Amazing! Yay for UTSA! Wow you got the call today?? Morning or afternoon?? I was anticipating next week. Best wishes to ya girl!

Amazing! Yay for UTSA! Wow you got the call today?? Morning or afternoon?? I was anticipating next week. Best wishes to ya girl!

I got my call at 445

Im rooting for you!!!!! :D

Congrats on getting in Twirler. =)

--Garfield3d

looks like i'm the only one the thread still waiting. patiently.

does anyone know about how many people have declined their admission? or about how many the school usually takes from the waitlist? :)

does anyone know about how many people have declined their admission? or about how many the school usually takes from the waitlist? :)

I don't know how many declined because there may be some that have declined that were called from the wait list that aren't on this network. As far as how many they take from the waitlist, it depends on the year. I can tell you that both previous years they went pretty deep into the waitlist. The school wants to have a full class of 100 students if they can.

I don't know how many declined because there may be some that have declined that were called from the wait list that aren't on this network. As far as how many they take from the waitlist, it depends on the year. I can tell you that both previous years they went pretty deep into the waitlist. The school wants to have a full class of 100 students if they can.

so like do you have a number of about how many were pulled off? how do you know they went pretty deep into the waitlist?