MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for JH? Like how many people apply, how many interviews they give out, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

School: UCLA
GPA: 3.62
GRE: 161V (88%), 162Q (82%), 3.5W (42%)
Major: Biology
- Worked 2 years after college at NIH doing basic research (post-baccalaureate program)
- Various leadership positions in non-profit/community organizations

Applied: JHU, Rush, Cornell, Yale, Columbia, U-Michigan, GW, UCLA, OSU
Interview: JHU (1/17), GW (1/18), OSU (1/27), Michigan (1/30), Rush (2/3), Cornell (2/7), Tulane (2/24), Columbia (2/27)

Waitlist: OSU (2/2)
Rejected: JHU (2/21)
Accepted: GW (1/24), Rush (2/6), Michigan (2/9), Cornell (2/20), Yale (2/27), Tulane (3/8), Columbia (3/9)
Attending:

Last edited:
Noticed that this is the week people started hearing back from USC in the 2016, 2015 forums. Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from them? :poke:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from OSU? If so, was it email?

Noticed that this is the week people started hearing back from USC in the 2016, 2015 forums. Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from them? :poke:
That is good news! Hopefully we start hearing back from them, because I have been waiting for awhile!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone attended a Michigan Visit Day? Mine is coming up next week, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what it's like.

I received an email about the schedule yesterday since I'm visiting this Friday also. Did you receive the info?
Guess I'll see you there!

That is good news! Hopefully we start hearing back from them, because I have been waiting for awhile!
I know!! I'm getting so antsy with all the waiting :(

Good luck!! Post when you hear!

Just got accepted into Columbia! For anyone who's been accepted yet -- did you receive an email about Admitted Students Day or any other emails besides the one welcome email from the professor and chair of HPM? That's the only email I've received so far.

EDIT: Wow never mind they said it was sent to me by mistake but no other information on my admissions decision yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I applied to USF early January and received the "Under Review" email on January 27th and was just wondering, did USF have an interview before sending you the acceptance letter?

Edit: Received my rejection letter from USF just today actually so never mind :(
No worries, I'm sure better things will come your way! Best of luck :)

Just got accepted into Columbia! For anyone who's been accepted yet -- did you receive an email about Admitted Students Day or any other emails besides the one welcome email from the professor and chair of HPM? That's the only email I've received so far.

EDIT: Wow never mind they said it was sent to me by mistake but no other information on my admissions decision yet.

Got the same thing! Not too cool on their part but best of luck to both of us

Got the same thing! Not too cool on their part but best of luck to both of us

Just got an email saying I was officially admitted but called them to make sure. Good luck to you and hope you get in as well!!

Just got an email saying I was officially admitted but called them to make sure. Good luck to you and hope you get in as well!!

Hey! Congratulations!

I didn't get any other emails from them. Just the two that you mentioned. I'm hoping to hear about financial aid but no luck so far!

Have you decided yet if you're going to attend Columbia?

Hey! Congratulations!

I didn't get any other emails from them. Just the two that you mentioned. I'm hoping to hear about financial aid but no luck so far!

I haven't decided yet! I'm deciding between JHU and Columbia and probably won't be able to make my decision until after I visit them. Are you going there for sure?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't decided yet! I'm deciding between JHU and Columbia and probably won't be able to make my decision until after then. Are you going there for sure?

Yes! I'm going there for sure. I've already paid the deposit as well.

First acceptance - Georgetown!

Accepted into JHU! most likely will be attending.

Anyone going to any of the visitor days?

Has anyone done the UNC Chapel Hill interview yet and have any tips? Seems like a more intensive process than other schools from the email they sent me.

Accepted into JHU! most likely will be attending.

Anyone going to any of the visitor days?

Congratulations! I'll be there on the April 7th visit day

I will be attending UW's MHA visit day on 2/24, and I was just curious if anyone had any specific info about the day? Mostly I'm curious about the number of people invited and how many people they typically admit? I've had a hard time finding concrete information about past visit days. Thanks!

I will be attending UW's MHA visit day on 2/24, and I was just curious if anyone had any specific info about the day? Mostly I'm curious about the number of people invited and how many people they typically admit? I've had a hard time finding concrete information about past visit days. Thanks!
Hi DaisyB,
I'm not quite too sure how many people they invite since they do phone interviews as well. Typically they will admit around 30 students. Last year they accepted 34. I will be attending visit day as well on the 24th! Hope to see you there.
All the best luck to you on your interview.

Has anyone done the UNC Chapel Hill interview yet and have any tips? Seems like a more intensive process than other schools from the email they sent me.

Congratulations! I'll be there on the April 7th visit day

I did the UNC interview about 3 weeks ago. It's really not that bad, did they tell you who's interviewing you?
What I did was research a little about the person who interviewed me, who was part of the HPM committee, did research on the faculty, program, university, you know basic interview questions, why UNC, why MHA, why me, what can I offer... etc.

anyone who has already applied to Cornell or UNC, do you know how long it takes for decision on interview, rejection etc from the time of the submission of your app, or does it vary and there is no set timeline?

Last edited:
anyone who has already applied to Cornell or UNC, do you know how long it takes for decision on interview, rejection etc from the time of the submission of your app, or does it vary and there is no set timeline?

For Cornell, I applied on 11/10, interviewed on 11/29 and was accepted on 12/3. The turn around time was pretty quick. It seemed to me that Cornell is generally quite efficient.

For UNC, I applied on 11/22, and got an invitation to interview on 01/17. I declined the interview so I don't know what the timeline would be for their decision.

VCU is ranked 3rd and doesn't seem as if many people on this thread applied there. Just curious why not?

Does anyone reach out to admissions or email faculty before the review process, kind of like a pre-thank you?

Also, those who applied to UNC what are your stats (those who haven't posted).

First acceptance - Georgetown!
Hi! I'm new to this forum . I will be attending Georgetown too. Do let me know if you decide to come there.
My stats are:
GPA: 3.72 (as calculated by WES)
GRE: V-157 Q-170
Undergrad: MBBS from India
Applied: UofMichigan, Rush, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, USC, NYU
Accepted: Michigan, Georgetown (with ~40% departmental scholarship) , Columbia, USC (with 50% dean's merit scholarship), NYU
Rejected: Hopkins
Attending : Mostly Georgetown

Last edited:
For Cornell, I applied on 11/10, interviewed on 11/29 and was accepted on 12/3. The turn around time was pretty quick. It seemed to me that Cornell is generally quite efficient.

For UNC, I applied on 11/22, and got an invitation to interview on 01/17. I declined the interview so I don't know what the timeline would be for their decision.

Awesome, and congrats! I applied in the beginning of February so it's a little premature asking, but I'm eager to hear back myself

Awesome, and congrats! I applied in the beginning of February so it's a little premature asking, but I'm eager to hear back myself

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I think we all know what's it's like, waiting to hear back from schools. Pretty nerve wracking! All the best! :)

VCU is ranked 3rd and doesn't seem as if many people on this thread applied there. Just curious why not?

Does anyone reach out to admissions or email faculty before the review process, kind of like a pre-thank you?

Also, those who applied to UNC what are your stats (those who haven't posted).

I actually compulsively declined my interview and withdrew entirely from VCU's application process after I got into Hopkins and I've really regretted it since. Looks like a great school tbh. They were pretty good about getting back to me in a timely manner, I would just be patient and wait.

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed for a program? I'm interviewing at VCU, SLU, Trinity and Texas State...super nervous haha

I actually compulsively declined my interview and withdrew entirely from VCU's application process after I got into Hopkins and I've really regretted it since. Looks like a great school tbh. They were pretty good about getting back to me in a timely manner, I would just be patient and wait.

I was accepted into VCU, just curious as to why not many people applied there.

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed for a program? I'm interviewing at VCU, SLU, Trinity and Texas State...super nervous haha

My interview at VCU was a panel interview. 10/12 other applicants were interviewed that same day.

School: NC State Class of '15
GPA: 3.67
GRE: 157V, 148Q
Major: Business Admin
Currently a data analyst at a healthcare informatics company

2 years of internship experience within healthercare field

Applied: UNC & VCU

Interview: VCU (12/2) & UNC( offered 1/3 and declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: VCU
Attending: VCU

Did UNC accept you?

School: Large West Coast University
GPA: 3.4 Cumulative, 3.55 Major
GRE: V-147, Q-152, AW-5
Major: Finance

Applied: Minnesota (11/21), Michigan (12/5), UNC (12/5), VCU (11/21), Utah (11/14), Washington (1/12) , USC (12/14)
Interview: Utah (11/28, 12/12), Minnesota (1/9), VCU (1/20)
Waitlist: Minnesota, VCU, UWashington
Rejected: Michigan
Accepted: Utah (12/21)
Attending:

Did you hear from UNC?

I was accepted into VCU, just curious as to why not many people applied there.

As an international student, VCU is not a great option because they have the third year/residency which has to be done in your home country. Additionally, one has to arrange for a suitable course as well as a mentor. It would be very difficult for me to make that happen in my home country, which is why I didn't apply to VCU despite the high ranking.

School: Medium Private School
GPA: 3.68
GRE: 160 V 161 Q 4W
Major: health management
Minors: public health and biology

Applied: Minnesota, Michigan, UNC, Rush

Interview: Minnesota (1/13) , Michigan (1/31, visit day 2/10), UNC (declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota (1/18), Michigan (2/09)
Attending:

What school are you leaning towards?

Anyone have advice picking between JH and Minnesota? I'm having a hard time seeing anything that would offset the benefit of working year 2 with JH... That being said, I was really impressed with Minnesota's alumni network, which is also kind of enticing. I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks, or if anyone is in the same spot! I'm visiting JH next week and getting a tour from one of the current MHA students so I definitely won't make a decision until after that.

Hey! Congratulations!

For those of you who have done the informal phone interview at Columbia/have been accepted, what kinds of questions should we expect? Is it just typical tell us about yourself, why MHA-type questions?

For those of you who have done the informal phone interview at Columbia/have been accepted, what kinds of questions should we expect? Is it just typical tell us about yourself, why MHA-type questions?
My phone interview was about 10 minutes. Essentially why Columbia and why MHA. Very easy and laid back. I heard back about 2-3 weeks after.

My phone interview was about 10 minutes. Essentially why Columbia and why MHA. Very easy and laid back. I heard back about 2-3 weeks after.

Yeah, my experience was similar! I was done in 15 minutes, just the usual questions. It was a pretty standard interview.

I keep seeing USC-Price admits from MPA/MPP students on grad cafe.... starting to feel a bit disheartened because I haven't heard anything. Do you think its possible they haven't released the MHA student admits yet? #wishfulthinking :unsure:

I did the UNC interview about 3 weeks ago. It's really not that bad, did they tell you who's interviewing you?
What I did was research a little about the person who interviewed me, who was part of the HPM committee, did research on the faculty, program, university, you know basic interview questions, why UNC, why MHA, why me, what can I offer... etc.

Hm they haven't told me who's interviewing me. They only sent one email confirming my interview time and giving me general details about the visit/interview. Thank you for the info and congrats on your acceptances!

Has anyone applied to NYU's MPA in Health Management or have any thoughts on their program? I also noticed that not many people applied

I keep seeing USC-Price admits from MPA/MPP students on grad cafe.... starting to feel a bit disheartened because I haven't heard anything. Do you think its possible they haven't released the MHA student admits yet? #wishfulthinking :unsure:
I spoke with someone at USC yesterday, and they mentioned that some of the MHA applicants would be notified sometime this week. So, best of luck and let me know if you hear anything!

I guess I'll add mine to the mix and ask for your input.

School: State School
GPA: 3.42
GRE: V-159 (82%), Q-158 (70%), AW-4 (59%)
Major: Finance & Economics

Applied: VCU, Minnesota, Trinity, Ohio State, George Washington
Interview: VCU (3/17), Minnesota (1/13), Trinity (2/2), Ohio State (Declined), George Washington (1/10)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota, Trinity, George Washington, VCU
Attending: Minnesota

Does anyone have insight regarding the VCU interview that would be helpful or, at the very least, calm my nerves? At this point, if I am accepted, it is between VCU and Minnesota. I would love to hear the pros and cons of each and how they stack up.

Last edited: