MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone deciding between Cornell, USC and UW?
Also, for those admitted by Cornell, how long did you take to receive the Welcome Packet after received the email offer letter? It's been a week after I received the admit notice, but I haven't received the Welcome Packet, which makes me nervous since the final deadline to pay the fee is April 10th....
When did you hear back from UW? The admissions office told me they were still making decisions until the end of next week... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the University of Southern California. Thank you.
I had a hard time trying to find information about their cohorts and stuff. When I emailed one of the student services advisor she had confused me. She said that residencies can be out of state, but you needed to take an additional 2-3 class during your residency on-campus. Furthermore, she had said that on average you would be in class 13.5 hours a week? Which doesn't seem like a lot considering this is a master's program.

I attended their information session, and I remember they said you could do all residency time during summer (as full-time), or you could split 1000 hours into different semesters(as part-time). It is really up to you.

When did you hear back from UW? The admissions office told me they were still making decisions until the end of next week... :(
I haven't heard back from them yet hahahaha. Just wanna ask ahead since there is only limited time to decide...

Members don't see this ad :)
There were 62 new students 2015.
I submitted my application on Feb 15 and heard back from them on March 17.
My stats:
Cum GPA 3.49 Major GPA 4.0
GRE V 157 Q 166 W 3.5
Several Volunteer experience and 8 months administrative experience at County of San Diego, HHSA.

Awesome thanks! and did you hear back from them via email or mail? I submitted sometime around then but haven't heard back... gahhh that is scary

Awesome thanks! and did you hear back from them via email or mail? I submitted sometime around then but haven't heard back... gahhh that is scary
Email and you can check the decision on you USC

Anyone know how hard it is to get into USC(Southern CA)? I applied there but havent heard back yet but I wanted to know if anyone really knew how many people they accept and how competitive it is to get in. That is my top school so Im really nervous lol
I feel like most MHA programs look at everything holistically. My stats weren't that great but I still got in. If you haven't heard from them by now, I would email them.

I know! but I did see someone received offer from UW at the beginning of March, which made me insanely nervous.
YEAH! When I had the interview they said they would get back to me in 3 weeks. Last week was the third week! So when I emailed them they said they would do it this week, which is dumb. I feel like I'm getting anxiety.

YEAH! When I had the interview they said they would get back to me in 3 weeks. Last week was the third week! So when I emailed them they said they would do it this week, which is dumb. I feel like I'm getting anxiety.
Yeah!!! When I took the GRE I thought the GRE was the hardest part, then I thought writing the SOP was the hardest part, and now I really really think the hardeeeest part is waiting for them to make decisions!! It's really nothing we can do.
Good luck to all of us!!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone deciding between Cornell, USC and UW?
Also, for those admitted by Cornell, how long did you take to receive the Welcome Packet after received the email offer letter? It's been a week after I received the admit notice, but I haven't received the Welcome Packet, which makes me nervous since the final deadline to pay the fee is April 10th....

Would also like to hear about those deciding between Cornell and USC. Those two are at the top of my list and I would be interested to hear how others are deciding between the two (or possibly more programs).

Would also like to hear about those deciding between Cornell and USC. Those two are at the top of my list and I would be interested to hear how others are deciding between the two (or possibly more programs).
If between USC and Cornell, I am leaning more towards Cornell. After all, Cornell is an Ivy League school, which means you will have more resources and build more connections. One of my friends who graduated from Cornell said knowledge is the least you can learn from there and you will get all the essential social skills upon graduation. And they do have a beautiful campus.
On the other hand, USC has excellent program as well and is located at LA, which is very important to me since I want settle down in California after graduation and those residency experience and networks would be invaluable for me... but the area around USC is not very safe....so I'm also little concerned about that.....
So hard to decide...

Reactions: 1 user
WHHAAAAT!!My offer only contains one page, which does not have any form..... I guess I need to contact them... And did you submit your financial statement and if yes, to whom? I am an international student as well, and they haven't asked me for the financial statement yet.

You should just send them an email. Everyone I've interacted with at Cornell has been super helpful and prompt. Just ask them for the soft copy of the form. I'm sure they'll send it.

They haven't asked me for my financial statement yet either. I think they'll get around to that only when it's time for them to start processing the applications for student visas. Which happens in April if I'm not mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone attending the Georgetown MHSA Admitted Students Day tomorrow?

Reactions: 1 users
If between USC and Cornell, I am leaning more towards Cornell. After all, Cornell is an Ivy League school, which means you will have more resources and build more connections. One of my friends who graduated from Cornell said knowledge is the least you can learn from there and you will get all the essential social skills upon graduation. And they do have a beautiful campus.
On the other hand, USC has excellent program as well and is located at LA, which is very important to me since I want settle down in California after graduation and those residency experience and networks would be invaluable for me... but the area around USC is not very safe....so I'm also little concerned about that.....
So hard to decide...

Definitely hard to decide. I am open to location but I prefer the East Coast a bit, myself.

With that said, their programs are different yet both are great.

Has anyone here received merit aid from Michigan HPM MHSA program? Trying to see if I should keep waiting on them or not
I have not but i know of two people admitted to Michigan's HMP MHSA who have.

Does anyone have advice for choosing between Cornell and Trinity?? Please help! I'm so torn.

Hi - I was accepted to USC (Southern California) on 2/21, but I did not receive any scholarships. I'm thinking of deferring admission to Fall 2018 to save up money or re-applying for Fall 2018 admission/scholarships altogether. Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm also thinking of re-applying for Fall 2018 admission and scholarships altogether. I don't want to take a year off, but I feel as though it will benefit me greatly to gain some healthcare experience and save money. I would then re-apply to the programs I applied to this year as well as others that I had not previously considered.
Since you were admitted to USC, will you still attend the Admitted Students Day? They may have insight on how to better finance the degree.

Hi! Just wondering, when did you hear back from UW?

I probably heard back a week after my interview. I had to do mine over the phone and my interviewer called me to let me know a few days before I got the official email.

This may look like a dumb thing to ask...So I have been admitted into the Columbia's MHA on the HPM track. But I want to switch to MPH on the same track. Is it possible to switch from MHA to MPH before I enter the school??

Since you were admitted to USC, will you still attend the Admitted Students Day? They may have insight on how to better finance the degree.

Yes, I'll still be attending the admitted students day. Did you receive scholarship?

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've read some really insightful stuff and it's helped me a lot throughout the application process! To those of you who applied to or have been admitted to Georgetown, what did their video interview consist of? What's the best way to prepare for it besides the practice questions they provide?

I know I'm cutting it close on the deadline, but I figured I'd try anyway. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've read some really insightful stuff and it's helped me a lot throughout the application process! To those of you who applied to or have been admitted to Georgetown, what did their video interview consist of? What's the best way to prepare for it besides the practice questions they provide?

I know I'm cutting it close on the deadline, but I figured I'd try anyway. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Hey! I just recently accepted an offer to georgetown and will be attending this summer! But the interview video was actually really easy. The questions in the practice section were much harder and more detailed and I expected a lot more to be honest haha. The first question was asking about you, what your undergrad was, and if you were currently working. I did the video in December so I'm trying really hard to remember the specific ones lol. I think they ask why georgetown, i.e. why you are applying and how will it help you in your career objectives. And then the last question may have been about what your objectives are in terms of career aspirations. But overall very simple questions and if you know what your goals are and what you hope to get out of the program then you're set. Best of luck!

Hi all,
I applied to a few MPH programs concentrated in Management and Policy, but I just noticed that one of my letters of rec recommended me for specifically MHA programs (she gave me a copy for me to read a few months ago, but I just decided to read it now... lol). How badly do you think this will affect my application?
I applied and was accepted to a MPH and MPA program when all of my LORs said MHA. They understand that references don't often have time to create multiple letters for applicants. As long as your personal statements calls out the correct program you should have no problem.

Do you know what consists of a good Friday? When you are admitted to VCU's program!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to USC on 2/22 but did not get a scholarship. Just wondering if anyone has heard back about other financial aid yet(i.e. FAFSA) from them??

I know when I spoke to them they said they would give more details about external scholarships at the admitted students day, but in my mind that's such a vague and unreliable source of $$. I definitely can't bank on that, especially since other schools have given me scholarship money. USC was the dream but at this point I don't see myself headed there :/

I was accepted to USC on 2/22 but did not get a scholarship. Just wondering if anyone has heard back about other financial aid yet(i.e. FAFSA) from them??

I know when I spoke to them they said they would give more details about external scholarships at the admitted students day, but in my mind that's such a vague and unreliable source of $$. I definitely can't bank on that, especially since other schools have given me scholarship money. USC was the dream but at this point I don't see myself headed there :/
I had to directly talk to their financial aid office. Apparently my fasfa won't be processed until June (which I find quite ridiculous), all because they did not have my social on the graduate application. The office never contacted me to fix this issue. I believe they do not give grants for graduate programs which is a shame. I tried talking to the Sol Price school about scholarships, but they were extremely vague and unhelpful.

For those of you still waiting on UW, have you heard anything yet this week?
I got my acceptance letter on Wednesday! I had sent them numerous complaints regarding admissions decisions and timing. lol. Especially since they told me they wouldn't get back to me until next week.

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't receive any scholarship money in the admission packet, so I am hoping I can work through it before the semester starts. Of course money is a factor for graduate school, but if the total cost isn't too far from what your other schools will cost, then I would go for it. You'll have debt regardless of where you go, but you'll never regret being a trojan.

Yeah I got my admission letter maybe almost a month ago, but I am still hoping to get some financial aid because the costs are crazy.

I just got an email about a UNC scholarship today, so hopefully you'll hear about it soon if you haven't already!

I had to directly talk to their financial aid office. Apparently my fasfa won't be processed until June (which I find quite ridiculous), all because they did not have my social on the graduate application. The office never contacted me to fix this issue. I believe they do not give grants for graduate programs which is a shame. I tried talking to the Sol Price school about scholarships, but they were extremely vague and unhelpful.

Oh my goodness! I can't believe they never even bothered to reach out to you and get it all sorted out. I'm sorry that happened to you :(

I agree, when I tried to contact a financial aid advisor that was recommended to me by one of the student mentors that reached out to us, they were very unhelpful and basically told me that they would talk more about it on the admitted students day.

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't receive any scholarship money in the admission packet, so I am hoping I can work through it before the semester starts. Of course money is a factor for graduate school, but if the total cost isn't too far from what your other schools will cost, then I would go for it. You'll have debt regardless of where you go, but you'll never regret being a trojan.

That is true, no way I'll be able to get by without taking out loans haha. While you're probably right about never regretting being a Trojan, the financial difference is just too much. Hopefully someone waiting to hear back will get my spot and a chance to join the Trojan fam.

Has anyone heard from Michigan regarding aid? Visit Day was two weeks ago and the date to pay your deposit is coming up...

I have tried to contact Michigan several times regarding aid, and have not heard back yet either.
They've sent out all of their merit awards already so if you haven't received any emails, you won't be getting aid this time around. They'll be sending out the next round of awards after April 15th once they find out who accepted/declined admission.

They've sent out all of their merit awards already so if you haven't received any emails, you won't be getting aid this time around. They'll be sending out the next round of awards after April 15th once they find out who accepted/declined admission.

How do you know they sent it all out already? Did you receive one?

Can anyone share insight to what the interview questions for GWU was like?

I just got an email about a UNC scholarship today, so hopefully you'll hear about it soon if you haven't already!
Yes I did! Are you set on UNC? Or are you still thinking about it? How much scholarship did you get?

In

School: Texas Tech
GPA: 3.4/3.4
GMAT: Haven't taken it yet
Major: Cell and Molecular Biology
- I've worked in a hospital for the past 8 years and have had plenty of shadowing in a majority of departments

Applied: Trinity (2/28)
Interview: Trinity (3/23)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Trinity (3/31)
Attending: Trinity

Bump for me. I received my acceptance email and will be attending Trinity this fall.

Yes I did! Are you set on UNC? Or are you still thinking about it? How much scholarship did you get?

I only got a one time $5,000 scholarship which is better than nothing haha. I'm not set yet. I still have to visit JHU and went to Columbia today so def have quite a decision to make. How about you? I really did love UNC when I visited though.

Can anyone share insight to what the interview questions for GWU was like?
When is your interview? Mine is on the 4th, so I can definitely share my experience with you when I'm done.. or vice versa if yours is before mine ;)

I only got a one time $5,000 scholarship which is better than nothing haha. I'm not set yet. I still have to visit JHU and went to Columbia today so def have quite a decision to make. How about you? I really did love UNC when I visited though.
same here same one time 5,000 scholarship!
I have paid the enrollment fee already so I guess if you do decide to enroll I'll be seeing you around there! I just really love UNC plus I mean the Public Health School is a top school, ranked 2nd (tied with harvard) so I didn't really have to think about it. Also I'm an MD so really what I'm looking for is to stay within the healthcare sector, as in public health and be in touch with the medical side too. I got accepted into JHU, too, but I just think UNC will be a better fit for me!
Buuuut it would be exciting if you chose UNC, keep me updated in case you decide to go there!

Does anyone have an idea of how MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) is perceived in this field? They are ranked 17th for best health management programs, and are located in Charleston which I love. I'd like to go there but I'm having a hard time choosing them over UNC Chapel Hill simply because of reputation. Thoughts?

When is your interview? Mine is on the 4th, so I can definitely share my experience with you when I'm done.. or vice versa if yours is before mine ;)
Mine is on the 5th! yes totally looking forward to that!

Hey all,

I got invited to SLU's Visit Day to interview. Has anybody who's visited or interviewed care to share some insight on their experience and what to expect? By the way I'm attending on April 21st for anybody else who's also attending their visit day!

Hey all,

I got invited to SLU's Visit Day to interview. Has anybody who's visited or interviewed care to share some insight on their experience and what to expect? By the way I'm attending on April 21st for anybody else who's also attending their visit day!

Congrats on your interview! I went to their visit day in Jan. While it is a formal interview day, you don't need to feel to worried. They basically start the day with an info session on the program with Q&A. Depending on how many people there are, they provide you with a tentative schedule for the rest of the day. It includes half the attendees going on a campus tour, while the other half go through interviews, then the two groups switch and reconvene in a conference room for provided lunch ,while they deliberate your admissions status. At the end of the day they individually meet with each of you and will basically tell you whether or not you've been accepted into the program.

Everyone is very friendly, the tours are led by current students, so its a great opportunity to ask them questions about their experiences. During the interview rounds, you meet with 3 people pre-assigned to you. 1 currently student, 1 recent graduate and 1 professor. In my experience, my meeting the the alumni and student were much more formal and interview-like, while my meeting with the professor was more low-key and conversational.

Overall, the format of the day is true to what they provide in the description email. No surprises, and they do want you to feel at ease throughout the day. I hope that helped! Good luck :)

School: University of Central Florida
GPA: Cumulative - 3.68, Major: 4.00
GRE: Verbal - 157 (75%), Quantitative - 158 (70%), Writing - 4.0 (59%)
Major: Psychology

- President of Global Medical Brigades
- Studied abroad in Nicaragua
- Orientation leader
- 300+ hours volunteering at local hospital

Applied: JHU, Yale, UNC, USC, UF, UCF, USF
Interview: USC (Invited 1/17, scheduled for 1/20), UF (Invited 1/24, scheduled for 2/3)

Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU (12/14), UNC (3/13)
Accepted: USF (12/9), UCF (1/11), Yale (1/19), USC (2/3), UF (3/7)
Attending: UCF!

I just got into UCF too! Did you get to visit? Do you know anything about their program?

I just got into UCF too! Did you get to visit? Do you know anything about their program?
Hi! I am at UCF for undergrad and I absolutely love it! That's part of the reason I decided to stay here for graduate school. I've talked with a few alumni and they all seem thrilled with the program and the hospital connections can't be beat! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about UCF :)

Is anyone having trouble deciding between university of Southern California and university of washington?