MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from Rush from December 2nd interviews?

And what is the average wait time post interview to find out if you got in for those who have already been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

School: Mexican University for medical school
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 150 verbal. 148 quant. 3.5 Aw
Major: BA in medicine / BA in surgery

Applied: UNC, Duke, George Washington, NYU, and Johns Hopkins

Interview: JHU, UNC

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: UNC, JHU
Attending:

Any other international students applying???

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
is the MHA program at GWU only online or is there an option to take the classes on campus?

Just one for me.

School: Ivy
GPA: 3.0 cum / 4.0 major
GRE: 164 V / 165 Q / 6.0 AW
Major: Business

Applied: UH-Clear Lake (for MHA/MBA combined program) - I really want to work at Texas Medical Center, hehe
Interview:

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

is the MHA program at GWU only online or is there an option to take the classes on campus?

There's an on campus full time program there

The MHA@GW refers to their online curriculum

For those of who have applied for the MHA program at UNC (or any other schools that require work experience), is it worth it to apply anyway with minimal work experience. I will be interning the upcoming spring as an administrative intern in a hospital. Other than that, I had minimal working experience other than shadowing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you!

School: Large liberal arts college
GPA: Cumulative: 3.31 / Major: 3.5 / Junior/Senior: 3.63
GRE: Verbal-165 (95%) / Quant-159 (73%) / AW-4.0 (59%)
Major: Sociology / Minor: Economics

Experience:
- 4 months as an administrative assistant in a physical therapy clinic.
- 10 months (18 upon matriculation) as a physical therapy technician (this position is very involved, and consists of working side by side with clinicians to independently provide physical therapy treatments and sessions) in a hospital that specializes in orthopedic surgery.
- Volunteer work at a hospital one summer during college.

Applied: JHU, Columbia, PSU, SLU, OSU, VCU, Cornell, GWU.

Interview: SLU
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I'm worried that my overall GPA is not very good, especially for the top schools. I also haven't taken a math class as I withdrew from several early in my college career (I didn't take school seriously until after the 2nd year), although I did take Statistics and minored in economics and did well in those, so hopefully this will balance out?

Last edited:
School: Medical School in India
GPA: WES GPA - 3.24
GRE: V-164 (94%), Q-160(78%), AW-5.5(98%)
Major: Medicine

Applied: Cornell(11/10), Rush(11/17), JHU(11/17), OSU(11/17), GW(11/17), UNC(11/22), Iowa(11/23), Columbia(11/23), UMich(11/23), Minnesota(11/23), SLU(11/24), Tulane(11/24), UWash(11/24)

Interview: Cornell(11/29), Iowa(12/15), Tulane(12/16) - declined, SLU(12/20), Columbia(12/28), UMich (01/11), OSU - declined to interview, JHU - declined to interview, UNC - declined to interview, Minnesota - declined to interview, UIC - declined to interview

Waitlist:
Rejected: GW(12/15), Rush(4/4), UWash(4/6)
Accepted: Cornell, Iowa, SLU, Columbia
Attending: Columbia

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me about the interview process for JHU? I was reached out to by an assistant director from JHU asking for skype or phone call before she forwards my application to the admissions committee. I assume this is not the formal interview. Did this happen to anybody else that has already been accepted or gotten an interview with JHU?

Can anyone give me tips about Tulane (skype interview) and St. Louis (in-person interview)? Also, has anyone heard anything from UAB?

Can anyone give me tips about Tulane (skype interview) and St. Louis (in-person interview)? Also, has anyone heard anything from UAB?

Tulane Skype interview - prepare for the usual questions...Why MHA? Why Tulane? It wasn't anything special.

My SLU interview was a phone interview that lasted about 5 minutes total. They only asked me about my ability to fund my education as an international student and a couple more basic questions.

All the best! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when Hopkins sends out decisions?

School: Boston University
GPA: 2.68 (likely 2.89 after next semester)
GRE: 153 Verbal, 153 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing
Major: Neuroscience with 95% completion of Pre Med classes
-Worked in Hospitals since age 13
-First undergraduate research assistant for a director of a department at BMC
-First undergraduate and first non-doctor to spend longer than 6 weeks (I stayed 3 months) in Lesotho, Africa working as an Assistant Public Health Manager for a program that links Lesotho and BMC

Applied: Boston University School of Public Health (Application received on 12/5, took GREs on 12/20, GREs received on 12/30)
Interview:

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

School: University of Iowa
GPA: 3.0/3.3
GRE: V-156 Q-155
Major: Business: Marketing

2.5 years work experience at a marketing agency working on clients such as: St. Jude's Children Research hospital, University of Minnesota M-health, and Children's Hosptials and Clinics of Minnesota

1.5 years volunteering in an Adult ER and Pediatric Med Surg Unit

Applied: University of Washington, Columbia, BU (MPH: Healthcare Managment), Ohio State University, NYU, GWU

Interview: Ohio State, GW, Columbia

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Boston University, GW

I'm worried my gpa will rule me out of most of these school. Any thoughts on if you agree or not?

When did you apply to BU and when did you hear back? I'm anxiously waiting.

Can anybody tell me about the interview process for JHU? I was reached out to by an assistant director from JHU asking for skype or phone call before she forwards my application to the admissions committee. I assume this is not the formal interview. Did this happen to anybody else that has already been accepted or gotten an interview with JHU?
Hi! Sorry a bit of a late response, but I was contacted by the assistant director for an informal interview as well (Dr. Schwartz right?). She asked me basic questions like why I'm interested in Hopkins, why health management, etc. She also spent quite a bit of time warning me that the Hopkins program is pretty specifically geared towards Maryland healthcare system, I don't know if they talk about that with everyone or specifically with out of state applicants. I haven't heard back from them since and it's been almost 2 months, my app still says it is "Sent for review" so I'm guessing that's the ONLY interview.

Does anyone have info about the interview process for Columbia's MHA program or University of Michigan's MHSA program? I have an informal interview with a current Columbia student and a Skype interview with Michigan faculty coming up. Thanks!

For a on-campus interview, do I need to take anything with me?

Does anyone have info about the interview process for Columbia's MHA program or University of Michigan's MHSA program? I have an informal interview with a current Columbia student and a Skype interview with Michigan faculty coming up. Thanks!

My interview with Columbia was about 30 minutes with the standard questions (Tell me about yourself. Why MHA? Why not a MPH? Why Columbia?).

Good luck!

Last edited:

My interview with Columbia was pretty short (about 20 mins) and I was asked basic questions only...Why Mailman, why MHA? Has anyone heard back from Columbia yet with a final decision?

I have a phone interview scheduled with U. Mich this week (01/11) as well. I'll let you know how it goes! (Or could you tell me how yours is, if it happens before mine?)

All the best!

My interview with Columbia was about 30 minutes with the standard questions (Tell me about yourself. Why MHA? Why not a MPH? Why Columbia?).

Good luck!

Have you heard back from Columbia yet? Any idea when they're sending out final decisions?

Thanks! And all the best!

Anyone had a interview with ohio state yet? or know common MHA interview questions or resources?

The SLU interview is really pretty typical of the other interviews it seems like. Why MHA? Why SLU? Where do you see yourself? It's very laid back and conversation driven.

I heard back from UAB in early December to schedule an interview.

My interview with Columbia was pretty short (about 20 mins) and I was asked basic questions only...Why Mailman, why MHA? Has anyone heard back from Columbia yet with a final decision?

I have a phone interview scheduled with U. Mich this week (01/11) as well. I'll let you know how it goes! (Or could you tell me how yours is, if it happens before mine?)

All the best!
My interview with Michigan is supposed to be tmrw haha, so I'll update you on how it goes! Has anyone reached out to you to set a more specific time by the way? I was just told it would be Monday but seems kind of ridiculous to expect applicants to free up their whole day...

I scheduled my interview using a sign-up sheet. I had to select a date and a time for the interview. Its an hour long slot in the morning. If you went through the same process you should have received an email from confirming that you need to be available for the entire hour. The email also says that the faculty might reach out ahead of time to schedule a specific time within that hour. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Anyone had a interview with ohio state yet? or know common MHA interview questions or resources?

Ohio State is pretty laid back for their interviews. Got a couple of basic questions and then they asked me about the work that I do and how I can relate it to healthcare administration. Be prepared to ask them questions about the program.

Hi! Sorry a bit of a late response, but I was contacted by the assistant director for an informal interview as well (Dr. Schwartz right?). She asked me basic questions like why I'm interested in Hopkins, why health management, etc. She also spent quite a bit of time warning me that the Hopkins program is pretty specifically geared towards Maryland healthcare system, I don't know if they talk about that with everyone or specifically with out of state applicants. I haven't heard back from them since and it's been almost 2 months, my app still says it is "Sent for review" so I'm guessing that's the ONLY interview.

I wouldn't say so much that the program is geared only for working Maryland, but many graduates end up at Hopkins or Hopkins affiliated institutions located in Maryland and we do have a somewhat unique system so it's something important to be aware of.

Not sure about your interview status, I did mine in person but it was just the one day and it was pretty informal.

[/QUOTE] I heard back from UAB in early December to schedule an interview.[/QUOTE]

I submitted my application last week of September and I still have not heard anything. I emailed them last month and they just told me they are reviewing all applications. I hope to hear soon.

Has anyone heard back from UNC?

School: University of Utah
GPA: 3.4 Cumulative, 3.55 Major
GRE: V-147, Q-152, AW-5
Major: Finance

Throughout my education I have been heavily involved in academic finance competitions, internships, volunteer work, and university clubs. Between my education and work experience, I will be applying to the programs listed below in the next few weeks.

Applied: Minnesota (11/21), Michigan (12/5), UNC (12/5), VCU (11/21), Utah (11/14), Washington, USC (12/14)
Interview: Utah (11/28, 12/12), Minnesota (1/9)
Waitlist:
Rejected: Michigan
Accepted: Utah (12/21)
Attending:

How long have they given you to make a decision on which school you will be attending?

This site has been incredibly helpful in my grad school preparation process...it's nice to be able to hear from people who have already/are also going through the same process. That being said....new year-new thread! Post away!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MHA, MBA-HCM, MPH-HCM only!

Follow this format:

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:

Applied:
Interview:

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Update your original thread as you receive new information!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess I'll start!

School: Medium sized ACC School
GPA: Cum-3.56 Maj-4.0
GRE: 158V (80th) 153Q(51st) 4AW(59th)
Major: Public Health
-TONS of campus involvement in leadership positions (ie, Student Government President, RA, IFC exec, Athletic Department, etc.)
-Lots of Community Service/Fundraising
-Administrative intern in the C-Suite of a large post-acute care provider for over 1yr.
-Research experience in population health at a school of public health (6mo)
(Also applying to the Navy's HSCP! The plan is to stay in military medicine and eventually move into post-acute care quality improvement, specifically for veterans.)

Applied: JHU (9/29), GWU (9/29), Minnesota(10/4) [int offered 10/20]
[Last LOR received 10/18]

Interview: Minnesota (11/18), JHU (11/15-Skype),

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (11/23), GWU (12/9), Minnesota (12/14)

Attending:

How long have the schools given you to decide on where you will be attending?

School: Large State School
GPA: 3.65
GRE: 162V (90%), 164Q (87%), 5W (93%)
Major: Exercise Physiology
Currently a full time clinical research assistant at Hopkins School of Medicine (1.5 yrs)
2 years volunteer coaching Spec. Olympics
Hospital volunteering experience

Applied: UMD, PSU, Ohio State, JHU, Minnesota, GWU

Interview: Minnesota, JHU, VCU (declined), Ohio State, PSU (declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU, GW, Minnesota, Ohio State
Attending:

How long have they given you to decide on which school you will be attending?

Congrats! Just wondering how long Rush gave you to make a decision on acceptance? I've been waitlisted and trying to gauge when I will maybe hear something! Thanks!

Can anyone enlighten me on Michigan HMP's Visit Day? It's separate from the interview so I can't tell how crucial it is to attend. Also, since their visit days are spread out between Feb and March, does that mean they hold off on making admission decisions until after their last visit day? On their website it says "the Visit Day serves a pivotal role in assisting both applicant and department in this crucial decision"...I'm from out of state so I'm trying to decide if paying $500 to fly over is worth it.

Congrats! Just wondering how long Rush gave you to make a decision on acceptance? I've been waitlisted and trying to gauge when I will maybe hear something! Thanks!
I got my acceptance email on 12/27 and it said that they wanted an acceptance confirmation by 1/11

Can anyone enlighten me on Michigan HMP's Visit Day? It's separate from the interview so I can't tell how crucial it is to attend. Also, since their visit days are spread out between Feb and March, does that mean they hold off on making admission decisions until after their last visit day? On their website it says "the Visit Day serves a pivotal role in assisting both applicant and department in this crucial decision"...I'm from out of state so I'm trying to decide if paying $500 to fly over is worth it.

I don't know how important it is to attend the visit day, but I'm an international student so I wrote to them explaining that it would be difficult for me to attend visit day in person. They said I could attend "virtual visit day" online. I'm still waiting for them to send me the sign up sheet for it, even though I've already had my interview. Maybe you could do virtual visit day as well, but I'm uncertain whether it negatively impacts your chances.

Has anyone had an interview at VCU? I have one later this week, and I had a few questions...

Has anybody had an interview with UNC? Just had a couple of questions regarding the content of the interview, what they usually ask for and what they want to hear mostly?

Has anyone had an interview at VCU? I have one later this week, and I had a few questions...

How long did they take to invite you to an interview? I submitted my applications in the middle of November and have heard back from all of my schools but VCU.

Interview with USC (S. Carolina) scheduled for Thursday!

Reactions: 1 users