ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people you interviewed with reply to you post-interview thank you emails?

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions on how I should rank the following programs:

Pittsburgh
Maryland
Case Western/University Hospital
Rochester
Jefferson
Penn State
UNC
Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center

Depends on what you want to do--but based on my experience

1. Georgetown (especially if you want to do interventional)
2a/b. Pitt (good all around), Rochester (great program, busy + lots of research support, would be higher but crap location)
3. Maryland (busy, seems like you get great training)
4. UNC
5. Penn State
6. Case Western (don't know too much about program)
7. Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Is there any deadline by which we have to update out nrmp id in my eras profile?? ( not registering for nrmp?

Hi. Can anyone let me know how to rank these, or at least what stands out above the others (reputation, strength of training, fellow satisfaction)? Interested in interventional.

Rutgers NJMS
Rochester
Iowa
Arizona (Tucson)
SLU
UTMB (Galviston)
UBuffalo
UMissouri (columbia)
UConn (Farmington)

Hi. Can anyone let me know how to rank these, or at least what stands out above the others (reputation, strength of training, fellow satisfaction)? Interested in interventional.

Rutgers NJMS
Rochester
Iowa
Arizona (Tucson)
SLU
UTMB (Galviston)
UBuffalo
UMissouri (columbia)
UConn (Farmington)

Rochester NY is a very strong program, reputation is great in East coast. EP program is very strong given they have world expert in sudden death in Art Moss, home of MADIT Trials. Intervention is also strong given sheer volume, easy COCATS Level 2 by end of general fellowship. ECHO is strong, CT is weak (but mainly because no reimbursements), MRI is okay. Fellows are very well trained, extremely high satisfaction. All in house fellows who want interventional training have excellent chances at getting their fellowships within Rochester, strong sense of collegiality and academia. If location was better, this would be truly elite cardiology training program. Can't say much about other programs, but don't think any of them are better than Rochester honestly just based on reputation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, been inactive for a while. Need some help deciding between the following, any thoughts appreciated!

University of Kentucky
Mt Sinai Miami
Ochsner
UT Houston
Albany
Newark Beth Israel
LSU New Orleans
UT Knoxville

Any thoughts on nebraska vs UT houston.
Not sure about subspecialty training at this point, just want a solid, well balanced general cardiology training.

Mount sinai beth israel vs newark beth israel. Any input guys??

Members don't see this ad :)
guys anyone know how far the programs usually go on their rank list to fill positions? If a program has 4 positions where down on the list the 4th position would be filled? What is ranked to match vs ranked high mean?

Last edited:
guys anyone know how far the programs usually go on their rank list to fill positions? If a program has 4 positions where down on the list the 4th position would be filled? What is ranked to match vs ranked high mean?

Varies greatly from program to program and year to year. Certainly, the more competitive programs may not go far on their rank list at all (6 positions and only go down to number 6). Where others may go very far down their list and some may not even fill all their spots (meaning they went down so far that their list wasn't long enough). And some years programs may do very well and not go down their list and other years they dig deep into their list. Basically, it varies and there's no way to tell or to predict.

I understand this process is nervewracking but honestly, at this point, there isn't much more that you can do. You got the interview, you hopefully interviewed well, and that's that. Send that thank you letter. Tell your number one program that you'll be ranking them number one. Have faculty/mentors call for you if you can. But as far as trying to predict or put stake in ambiguous language from program directors -- don't put any weight at all into that. I have colleagues that have changed their rank lists based on wording only to be screwed in the end. Make your rank list based on what you really feel (after all, that is how the algorithm is designed to work) and hope for the best.

Best of luck, all.

Can anyone please tell me more about the Wayne State University program? I'm not getting much info from their website.

I am having alot of difficulty with finding the coverage I need or the finances to travel there. Appreciate all help. Thank you.

Can anyone please tell me more about the Wayne State University program? I'm not getting much info from their website.

I am having alot of difficulty with finding the coverage I need or the finances to travel there. Appreciate all help. Thank you.

They have 4 positions. Have heard its malignant compared to others. Very high volume and solid intervention with big names..

As far as coverage, they conducted last year IVs in the weekend.

They have 4 positions. Have heard its malignant compared to others. Very high volume and solid intervention with big names..

As far as coverage, they conducted last year IVs in the weekend.

Agreed. Heard the general cards program is good, but interventional is malignant. So you don't get a good interventional exposure during your general fellowship.

Agreed. Heard the general cards program is good, but interventional is malignant. So you don't get a good interventional exposure during your general fellowship.

Guys thanks for getting back so quick! Appreciate the insight.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey guys, Any thoughts on ranking?
1. Sinai-clinical track (formerly the urban track, do about half time at sinai, half at elmhurst a community hospital in queens. Optimistically, although not the 'main' academic track, it's easier to get COCATs done, and there is more hands-on, like actually doing PCI (take STEMI call), since there are no advanced fellows at elmhurst, you ARE the advanced fellow in each area. And of course half your rotations are at THE sinai hospital with all the greats there)
2. NYU (Great cath, and you stay at the NYU location, no transplant though, great name overall)
3. Montefiore (lesser 'name', but has everything, high STEMI case load >300/yr, ~50/transplants, strong EP history, an adult congenital rotation. I feel like training here might actually be the most comprehensive)

It's that time of the year again. Done with interviews. Can anyone help with ROL or comments on any of programs. Having difficulty deciding between #1 and 2 mostly

UT Houston
Nebraska
Lehigh Valley
Grand Rapids
U of I Peoria
Geisenger
Creighton

Interested in getting best general Cardiology training. Future goals unclear at this point, probably something non-invasive maybe imaging or HF.

Last edited:
Hey guys, been inactive for a while. Need some help deciding between the following, any thoughts appreciated!

University of Kentucky
Mt Sinai Miami
Ochsner
UT Houston
Albany
Newark Beth Israel
LSU New Orleans
UT Knoxville

I am not familiar with all on that list, but I'd put Kentucky far ahead—strong clinical training particularly in Interventional/Structural and Echo with good EP, Congenital, and Imaging otherwise as well. No shortage of pathology and numbers.

Ochsner is very front loaded. Plenty of volume but I got the sense the hours and type of work were skewed toward less educational, more scut to keep the private practice attending model going. Seems you spend a lot of time being an intern on HF for which the program is heavy.

LSU has a nice new hospital shared with Tulane but no LVADs/Transplant, spread across 4 sites including Layfatette 2.5 hours out of New Orleans. Not quite sure what to think.

What do people think about Mississippi and Medical College of Georgia/Augusta?

Ok guys, I need your input here!! I CANNOT decide between two programs, Beaumont in Royal Oak, MI or Aurora St. Luke’s in Milwaukee? I am interested in generals cards, maybe interested imaging or heart failure. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok guys, I need your input here!! I CANNOT decide between two programs, Beaumont in Royal Oak, MI or Aurora St. Luke’s in Milwaukee? I am interested in generals cards, maybe interested imaging or heart failure. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Beaumont is not where you want to go if you're interested in HF. LVAD/transplants not done there, they have no Advanced HF program, fellows go to Henry Ford/U michigan for this. But for interventional/ Imaging/ and general Cardiology, very strong in these fields. They do an incredible amount of CCT/MRI/ECHO, strong in all aspects. And they have an advanced imaging fellowship if you really want to become expert in multi-modality imaging. Fellows very strong coming out, seem very happy. Faculty very supportive of fellows, busy program. Overall, great training here.

Anyone know if CPMC san francisco completed their interviews? Thanks in advnacne

Hello folks. Hope everyone is doing well and getting done with the season. I'm interested in non invasive cardiology and probably in imaging. I would appreciate input and suggestions in ranking these programs, mainly the top 5. I care about the name and the possibility of pursuing imaging if I decide to. Thanks a lot!

USF Tampa
UConn Hartford
UMass
Mayo Arizona
Mayo Florida
Lahey Clinic
Uni Toledo
Uni Buffalo
Baystate
Metrohealth-Case Western reserve

Dear all,

A few of the current cardiology fellows feel compelled to write this to all those who applied and interviewed that UF Jax cardiovascular fellowship. We feel that we should be honest about the current situation of the program. The cardiology fellowship is on probation. Attached is the ACGME letter received by the program which outlines the reasons the probationary accreditation, including, lack of education, service over education, and fear of retaliation. We want you to know everything before making your ranking decisions. This is nothing new for the program, this culture has existed for a long time.

Below are 2 postings from other sdn members. We just want you the applicant to make an informed decision.

1. "At the University of Florida Jacksonville the PD likes to brag that it's a "fellow run" program. What that actually means is the cardiology fellows must personally write the notes and orders on every patient. The residents are not allowed to do any of that because they don't trust their own residents. This means welcome to being an intern again!"

Available at: Cardiology Program Impressions

2. "There are a number of things that I feel obligated to let everyone know regarding UF Jacksonville Cardiology program
1.) I am writing to protect candidates, I have nothing to gain from my comments. There is no cardiology program that is so competitive that you should subject yourselves to this particular program.
2.) This program is not the same as the nationally ranked Gainesville program
3.) You will be a poorly respected super resident
4.) You will leave without appropriate procedural skills and will not be comfortable in even simple cath. This is a very serious problem. I urge all of you who are considering taking the interview to be very cautious. Outwardly it appears to be a good program. Do NOT be duped. There are other options out there
5.) They are unresponsive to the fellows' requests for any sort of change, i.e. nothing has changed in 20 years
6.) You cannot leave for rotations outside of the institution
7.) You are only there to do their work- you are viewed as a guest thus the emphasis is not on your education.
8.) You will have a very hard time going elsewhere for further training at good institutions, esp competitive programs at top places for further sub-specialization

I graduated many years ago and urge caution...."

Available at: Official 2012-2013 Cardiology fellowship application cycle

Attachments

• IMCV_Accred Ltr 2-13-17-2.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 123
I know you can't count on it for sure, and it's objective dependent on the language, but :
Does anyone know if OHSU (Oregon), UW (Seattle), or U Utah will tell candidates if they are "ranked to match"?

UMass
UConn
Mayo clinics
USF
UToledo/UBuffalo

Hello folks. Hope everyone is doing well and getting done with the season. I'm interested in non invasive cardiology and probably in imaging. I would appreciate input and suggestions in ranking these programs, mainly the top 5. I care about the name and the possibility of pursuing imaging if I decide to. Thanks a lot!

USF Tampa
UConn Hartford
UMass
Mayo Arizona
Mayo Florida
Lahey Clinic
Uni Toledo
Uni Buffalo
Baystate
Metrohealth-Case Western reserve

Hello everyone, I would appreciate some help in ranking these programs. I am looking at imaging and interventional. Thank you.

1. Univ of Kentucky
2. Univ of Iowa
3. Univ of Nebraska
4. Univ of Cincinnati
5. Kansas Univ
6. UMass
7. Univ of Louisville
8. Aurora Health Milwaukee
9. Henry Ford
10. Univ of Miami
11. Drexel University
12. Univ of Tennessee Memphis
13. Univ of Buffalo
14. Allegheny general Pittsburgh

It's that time of the year again. Done with interviews. Can anyone help with ROL or comments on any of programs. Having difficulty deciding between #1 and 2 mostly

UT Houston
Nebraska
Lehigh Valley
Grand Rapids
U of I Peoria
Geisenger
Creighton

Interested in getting best general Cardiology training. Future goals unclear at this point, probably something non-invasive maybe imaging or HF.

Nebraska
UT Houston
UIC Peoria
Grand Rapids
Geisinger
Lehigh Valley
Creighton

Nebraska
UT Houston
UIC Peoria
Grand Rapids
Geisinger
Lehigh Valley
Creighton

Thanks. Just curious why you'd put nebraska above UT Houston. I see you interviewed at nebraska too and have it pretty high on your list

Thanks. Just curious why you'd put nebraska above UT Houston. I see you interviewed at nebraska too and have it pretty high on your list

People at Nebraska were very nice. Fellows seemed extremely happy and well supported. It is very strong in HF and Imaging; Decent in Interventional and EP. I personally did not interview at UT Houston, but I was told by people I met on the interview trail that UT Houston is a bit malignant.

I know you can't count on it for sure, and it's objective dependent on the language, but :
Does anyone know if OHSU (Oregon), UW (Seattle), or U Utah will tell candidates if they are "ranked to match"?

It doesn't matter, programs can and do say what they want to put the match in their favor (short of telling someone they're ranked to match), ignore the noise and rank them how YOU like them.

Can someone help me with these three NY area programs, please?
1. Stony Brook (great program has everything except transplant, amazing facility, really impressive placement after fellowship)
2. Westchester Medical Center - Valhalla (has everything including transplant which they do a lot of (fear that they may focus a lot of resources on this in fact), great location (closer to NYC))
3. Lenox Hill (Amazing location, has everything except LVAD and transplant but gives a lot of elective time if you want to explore this elsewhere)

My long-term plan is structural interventional cardiology which they all seem to do fine with in terms of numbers and placement after fellowship.

Any input for mount sinai beth israel?? I heard they are closing their main hospital...based on this fact, how it should be ranked with westchester med center??

Is that your ranking? Would put UMass and U Cincinnati higher. Would put Iowa lower, it is more into basic/lab research, more EP and less interventional/imaging.

Hello everyone, I would appreciate some help in ranking these programs. I am looking at imaging and interventional. Thank you.

1. Univ of Kentucky
2. Univ of Iowa
3. Univ of Nebraska
4. Univ of Cincinnati
5. Kansas Univ
6. UMass
7. Univ of Louisville
8. Aurora Health Milwaukee
9. Henry Ford
10. Univ of Miami
11. Drexel University
12. Univ of Tennessee Memphis
13. Univ of Buffalo
14. Allegheny general Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Need help ranking these 4 (looking for interventional):

UConn (Farmington)
UMissouri (Columbia)
Lankenau
Rutgers NJMS

Any input on St.Elizabeth in Boston? thanks in advance

Is that your ranking? Would put UMass and U Cincinnati higher. Would put Iowa lower, it is more into basic/lab research, more EP and less interventional/imaging.

Thank you. No that is not my rank order. Just listed programs according to the dates I interviewed at them. What about the other programs according to you?

Thank you. No that is not my rank order. Just listed programs according to the dates I interviewed at them. What about the other programs according to you?

Don't know much about the other programs to be honest. Most of your programs have good interventional programs. The ones that stood out to me would be Umass, UKentucky, UCinc, UKansas, Miami, Louisville.

When is the deadlines for the programs to rank their applicants? Is it the same as ours?

Any input on Lahey Clinic vs Mayo Arizona? I felt they are both similar in many ways. Thanks.

Can someone guide me on ranking these programs
1. Stony-Brook
2. Brown
3. Dartmouth
4. Lahey clinic
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. WVU Morgantown

What do you think when PD says we are considering your candidacy highly? Being an IMG, it gives me hope. Too optimistic?

What do you think when PD says we are considering your candidacy highly? Being an IMG, it gives me hope. Too optimistic?

I'm sure you'll match but wouldn't read into these generic emails too much. I think everyone gets them.