ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am planning to apply for cardiology fellowship in the upcoming 2018 cycle. I am an IMG and done my MBBS from India. While filling the ERAS application does the 1 year compulsory internship done in India go into the education section or the experience section. Also the degree is awarded to us only after internship. So is it Ok to have a gap between the completion of medical school and the date of your degree awarded? Appreciate any input or feedback on this question. Thanks a lot.
P.S: Is there a new thread for Cards fellowship applicants this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
CV:
US-IMG from Caribbean school
Lower tier university program in the midwest
Scores: 240s/250s/pass/240s
Abstracts 2 accepted at TVT, 4 pending at AHA and 4 pending at TCT
2 oral presentations at TVT
1 Published Case Report
1 Case Report provisionally accepted
5 posters at local and national ACP
2 published Book chapters
Various awards in IM residency

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I am applying for Cardiology this cycle. I am an IMG, a 2nd year Resident at a medium tier community program with no in-house fellowships. Just wanted to know what my chances were the following stats:

Step 1, 2, 3- all pass, first attempt. Lowest score is 212 on Step 3 :/

17 poster presentations- about 10 first author; 8 out of 17 posters are non-cardiology related
1 book chapter- in press
8 publications- 4 on pubmed

How many programs should I target? I'm not selective about location and would be happy anywhere.

Thanks.

Hello guys,

I am applying for Cardiology this cycle. I am an IMG, a 2nd year Resident at a medium tier community program with no in-house fellowships. Just wanted to know what my chances were the following stats:

Step 1, 2, 3- all pass, first attempt. Lowest score is 212 on Step 3 :/

17 poster presentations- about 10 first author; 8 out of 17 posters are non-cardiology related
1 book chapter- in press
8 publications- 4 on pubmed

How many programs should I target? I'm not selective about location and would be happy anywhere.

Thanks.

I never really understood the "what are my chances" posts. Obviously, nobody can tell you. Like me, your an IMG so that makes it more difficult as does coming from a community program and having average/low scores. However, it looks like you are well published so you have that going for you, nice work! Ultimately, you're a foreign medical graduate so you should cast your net wide and apply everywhere that has ever taken an IMG in the past. That's what I'll be doing. I plan on applying to 75-100 programs at least.

There is literally no excuse for this. The timing of fellowship applications is constant from year to year. Many programs send out invites within the first week or so and your program director is placing all of you at a competitive disadvantage by not submitting your letters on time. It's also worth noting that the letters themselves take around 5 days to upload to ERAS after submission.

I encountered the same bullcrap last year with out program when they submitted the letters 5 days later. Extremely frustrating when you do everything right but your application is sullied by a factor outside of your control.

Have any of you considered complaining to your GME office or ECFMG?

U.S-IMG here from a lower tier university program in the midwest applying to cardiology fellowship this season. I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me?

So my PD the last two years has been overworked and stressed out. Last year the PD letters of recommendations were 2-3 weeks late and I believe this negatively impacted many of my senior residents ability to get a solid number of interviews. We even had one AMG (from a great medical school) that couldn't match into Pulm/Crit last year, only got one IV. This year the PD is anticipating delays as well in writing letters maybe wont be ready worst case scenario until the beggining of august :mad::mad::mad::mad:. My application is just about ready to go, already have most of my other letters and personal statements, program lists ready to go. Ideally i would upload and submit my CV on July 6th if it were up to me.

So my question is....Is it better to submit an incomplete application early, or wait until application is complete to submit late. I'm afraid if its incomplete, the program coordinators will put my app aside and not come back to it, vs applying late is obviously not an advantage either. Also is it possible to get interviews without PD letter, if i have the department chair writing me a good letter. My application isn't the strongest so I cant afford the disadvantage.

CV:
Scores: 240s/250s/pass 1st attempt/240s
1 Published Case Report
1 Case Report in review pending publication

Last edited:
There is literally no excuse for this. The timing of fellowship applications is constant from year to year. Many programs send out invites within the first week or so and your program director is placing all of you at a competitive disadvantage by not submitting your letters on time. It's also worth noting that the letters themselves take around 5 days to upload to ERAS after submission.

I encountered the same bullcrap last year with out program when they submitted the letters 5 days later. Extremely frustrating when you do everything right but your application is sullied by a factor outside of your control.

Have any of you considered complaining to your GME office or ECFMG?

If you don't mind my asking, did you end up matching well despite the delay last year? But you're absolutely right there is no excuse for this. If letters are late I will report to ACGME. I haven't thought about reporting to our GME office, I guess that's not a bad idea. However, my program is relatively small and not many people applying I'm afraid the PD will know where complaints are coming from and this will only make this worse and affect my letter negatively. Its pretty frustrating.

U.S-IMG here from a lower tier university program in the midwest applying to cardiology fellowship this season. I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me?

So my PD the last two years has been overworked and stressed out. Last year the PD letters of recommendations were 2-3 weeks late and I believe this negatively impacted many of my senior residents ability to get a solid number of interviews. We even had one AMG (from a great medical school) that couldn't match into Pulm/Crit last year, only got one IV. This year the PD is anticipating delays as well in writing letters maybe wont be ready worst case scenario until the beggining of august :mad::mad::mad::mad:. My application is just about ready to go, already have most of my other letters and personal statements, program lists ready to go. Ideally i would upload and submit my CV on July 6th if it were up to me.

So my question is....Is it better to submit an incomplete application early, or wait until application is complete to submit late. I'm afraid if its incomplete, the program coordinators will put my app aside and not come back to it, vs applying late is obviously not an advantage either. Also is it possible to get interviews without PD letter, if i have the department chair writing me a good letter. My application isn't the strongest so I cant afford the disadvantage.

CV:
Scores: 240s/250s/pass 1st attempt/240s
1 Published Case Report
1 Case Report in review pending publication

Submit your app as soon as you can. I believe programs constantly update their files as more application materials come in. Some programs started offering interviews within a few weeks, I know people got interviews before all their letters were even in. And other programs don't even start reviewing apps until a few weeks after. While I know and understand how stressful it can be when your app is being held up by others, I find it very unlikely to be a significant determinant as to whether someone gets an interview, especially if it's just a single piece of your app that does eventually get submitted.

I matched to a great program. However, that's beside the point. You're competing against ~ 5000 other people who will have complete applications. Your PD putting you at a competitive disadvantage needs to be highlighted. Is this program a 'Clinic' in the Midwest perchance?

If you don't mind my asking, did you end up matching well despite the delay last year? But you're absolutely right there is no excuse for this. If letters are late I will report to ACGME. I haven't thought about reporting to our GME office, I guess that's not a bad idea. However, my program is relatively small and not many people applying I'm afraid the PD will know where complaints are coming from and this will only make this worse and affect my letter negatively. Its pretty frustrating.

I matched to a great program. However, that's beside the point. You're competing against ~ 5000 other people who will have complete applications. Your PD putting you at a competitive disadvantage needs to be highlighted. Is this program a 'Clinic' in the Midwest perchance?

No its not a "clinic" program :D

Submit your app as soon as you can. I believe programs constantly update their files as more application materials come in. Some programs started offering interviews within a few weeks, I know people got interviews before all their letters were even in. And other programs don't even start reviewing apps until a few weeks after. While I know and understand how stressful it can be when your app is being held up by others, I find it very unlikely to be a significant determinant as to whether someone gets an interview, especially if it's just a single piece of your app that does eventually get submitted.

Wow ok, you're the first person to give that advice. Most residents and fellows I've talk to said wait till full application is ready but I feel like either way it could be interpreted poorly. Applying late will look like I'm a procrastinator and couldn't get my app ready on time. And applying without a PD letter could like either the PD does not think I'm a good candidate or maybe I waited till the last minute to ask for a letter.

Are Rush still running this extra $40 'supplemental app' conjob to milk even more money from applicants? Avoid!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, KJ here. I am currently doing residency in a mid tier university program in the midwest. I would like to inquire about Florida Programs since my wife is doing her residency there. I am trying to save money by doing my homework prior to application. I'm interested in interventional but may end up doing only general at this point as me and my wife are expecting a kid soon. Anybody with any ideas about which program is solid, like IMGs, good training in general specially interventional, good research opportunities? you can email me @[email protected]

**I am definitely not applying to Rush as my friend applied 2 years back and paid the 40$ but they eventually rejected his application as they for all IMGs (They only ask IMGs to pay extra). Also guys, prepare 300 words only PS for UW program as they have this special requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow ok, you're the first person to give that advice. Most residents and fellows I've talk to said wait till full application is ready but I feel like either way it could be interpreted poorly. Applying late will look like I'm a procrastinator and couldn't get my app ready on time. And applying without a PD letter could like either the PD does not think I'm a good candidate or maybe I waited till the last minute to ask for a letter.

I would agree with this advice. Programs typically start downloading the day of applications being submitted and may review later submissions, but those applications will be at the bottom of the pile. Typically, its not the recommendation letters that's being vetted in the first pass, its the IM program, med school, research, step, and personal statement being reviewed anyways. PD letters are important, but generally not a great way for programs to distinquish residents either as most PD letter are pretty positive (in the program's best interest, every resident will have a positive PD letter). If they're glowingly awesome it can be helpful.

If this advice is coming from the same residents who had issues getting interviews, or those within your program (a program that doesn't seem to do well with fellowship) maybe you should reconsider their advice. I'm certain that PD's know that there can be delays and issues with an app, particularly with the LOR portion which is out of your control. Having other LOR's in your app early on will certainly help (as opposed to having no LOR's ready), having your PD's letter come later likely won't make or break your app.

Thanks your answers have been really helpful. I think I think if my PD LOR is not uploaded to EFDO by July 15 or a few days prior I will go ahead and apply anyway. I know it takes 1 to 2 weeks for it to transfer over to ERAS anyway. Good luck all!

Are Rush still running this extra $40 'supplemental app' conjob to milk even more money from applicants? Avoid!

That is ridiculous. I was planning on applying but I'm not sure anymore.

That is ridiculous. I was planning on applying but I'm not sure anymore.

If you're put off by the extra $40 supplemental fee, you could do what I did and apply to Rush without knowing about the extra supplemental fee (crooks)!

Or you could go to the store and buy some candy and then at least you'd have something to show for the $40 you spent on the initial application to sketchy Rush.

Hi guys, KJ here. I am currently doing residency in a mid tier university program in the midwest. I would like to inquire about Florida Programs since my wife is doing her residency there. I am trying to save money by doing my homework prior to application. I'm interested in interventional but may end up doing only general at this point as me and my wife are expecting a kid soon. Anybody with any ideas about which program is solid, like IMGs, good training in general specially interventional, good research opportunities? you can email me @[email protected]

**I am definitely not applying to Rush as my friend applied 2 years back and paid the 40$ but they eventually rejected his application as they for all IMGs (They only ask IMGs to pay extra). Also guys, prepare 300 words only PS for UW program as they have this special requirement.

UW, which is not a top program, asking applicants to submit a unique personal statement to them is also extremely obnoxious.

It's not like we're asking programs to write us personalized notes to entice us to their program.

Last edited:
What time on 6th can we apply ? And is there any difference between applying on 6th or 15th given that programs can't download our applications prior to 15th ?

What time on 6th can we apply ? And is there any difference between applying on 6th or 15th given that programs can't download our applications prior to 15th ?
I think you just answered your own question

Should I include moonlighting in my experience? Would it be considered beneficial as I am getting exposed to more patients or would it harm my application as programs generally don't like fellows to moonlight?

If it is a significant number of hours. I see nothing wrong in mentioning it. It counts to your clinical experience. I don't see that it could negatively impact you as many fellowship programs do offer moonlighting opportunities.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could post the list of IMG friendly programs that would sponsor H1B visa here to help with the application process. Thank you so much and wish you all good luck for the upcoming cycle.

Hey all.

Am I correct that only U Washington has a funky application requirement (short PS w/ certain required elements)? Anyone else you've found with something odd? The only other variation I'm seeing is whether they want 3 or 4 letters.

Thanks!

For AMGs with no red flags on your app (e.g., failed Step), how many programs are you applying to?

Hey all.

Am I correct that only U Washington has a funky application requirement (short PS w/ certain required elements)? Anyone else you've found with something odd? The only other variation I'm seeing is whether they want 3 or 4 letters.

Thanks!

That's about right. I did not find any other program having any other variations in their requirements.

Hey all.

Thanks!

If a program is requiring just 3 letters would submitting four letters have a negative impact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a program is requiring just 3 letters would submitting four letters have a negative impact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Most programs say a minimum of 3 letters.

When websites say they require a CV..is that referring to the CV that is autogenerated by the ERAS application or do we have to upload a separate CV?

The CV is not listed as a separate document when I look under the "documents" and "assignment reports" section on ERAS for the programs that I submitted my application to so just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything or missing a step.

Reactions: 1 user
When websites say they require a CV..is that referring to the CV that is autogenerated by the ERAS application or do we have to upload a separate CV?

The CV is not listed as a separate document when I look under the "documents" and "assignment reports" section on ERAS for the programs that I submitted my application to so just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything or missing a step.

Nope you are not missing anything. It is only the automatically generated ERAS CV that programs need.

Hi can anyone tell me how to get the picture uploaded according to the size requested. When I try to crop it it gives me only pixel options and when I do it to 2.5x3.5 in as recommended it is alll blurred out. My file seems to be too big and the limit is only 100 kb. Did anyone elese have issues with this? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi can anyone tell me how to get the picture uploaded according to the size requested. When I try to crop it it gives me only pixel options and when I do it to 2.5x3.5 in as recommended it is alll blurred out. My file seems to be too big and the limit is only 100 kb. Did anyone elese have issues with this? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://wichita.kumc.edu/Documents/wichita/asa/Resizing Photos for ERAS-Windows.pdf

Use this site to d/l paint.net (not the one linked on the handout): Paint.NET

I'm finding more oddities. Like Baylor/Texas Heart seems not to require transcripts or USMLE. Baylor University seems not to require a personal statement (!) or transcripts.

Oops. And a few want a letter from the Chief instead of the PD... did not get that.

what does this mean? "

verification of training from medical school and residency program

I'm finding more oddities. Like Baylor/Texas Heart seems not to require transcripts or USMLE. Baylor University seems not to require a personal statement (!) or transcripts.

Just submit everything to every program, it's not hard and doesn't cost much more, if anything at all. Consider that most program websites haven't been updated or aren't closely monitored or edited by anyone within the program, likely it's done by admin or an IT person.

sorry, i am turning this into my own personal forum.

Columbia asks for a chief letter. I imagine if I apply without one I'll just get auto-rejected? Ugh. I should have looked into program requirements at the beginning. I checked a few places, saw PD letter, and thought I was good.

Anybody applying to Univerisity of Florida in Jacksonville? I heard it's a MALIGNANT and the only cardiology program on a probation. The PD/APD write BAD LORs for specialties application & fellows have hard time finding jobs afterwards. !!!
University of florida in Gansville are a busy program but more reputable.

Anybody with any more info?

Everything is going to be just fine guys.

Anybody applying to Univerisity of Florida in Jacksonville? I heard it's a MALIGNANT and the only cardiology program on a probation. The PD/APD write BAD LORs for specialties application & fellows have hard time finding jobs afterwards. !!!
University of florida in Gansville are a busy program but more reputable.

Anybody with any more info?

All were submitted by letter writers on 7/10 and none are yet available for me to assign. Soonest I can apply will be 7/17. Should I be worried? Am I screwed? or its not that big of deal and I am overthinking this

Also, should I go ahead and apply with just one LOR? Or wait till all are uploaded?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
All were submitted by letter writers on 7/10 and none are yet available for me to assign. Soonest I can apply will be 7/17. Should I be worried? Am I screwed? or its not that big of deal and I am overthinking this

Also, should I go ahead and apply with just one LOR? Or wait till all are uploaded?

Thanks guys

I have asked the cardiology program director in my institution about the difference between applying on 15, and 17 and so forth. He just laughed at me and said "I am not going to touch any applications over the weekend." He said it makes no difference whatsoever if you applied today vrs monday. Just one program director's thought though.

Thanks guys
You are definitely not screwed!

Thanks guys
Non of the programs are downloading throughout the weekends. My seniors told me that. This is a yearly panic thing to the applicants that their applications wont be viewed. So I guess we will be fine in that regard. What really concerns me where to apply and how many programs. I am IMG from India with ok MLE scores, couple Pubmed publications from low tier university program in the mid-west. Let's hope we receive good amount of IVs

I currently have 3 letters but I am waiting for a 4th which would from the most influential attending (has told me as of today that he will be submitting it on Monday). I'm currently on the fence of whether I should submit everything this weekend as is in the mean time versus hold off and wait till the end of this upcoming week (after EFDO processing). I am not sure how much a 1 week delay would affect may chances to obtain interview, if anybody has any advice it would be well appreciated!

Now I think I may have read somewhere that after I apply I can no longer add or change LORs to the programs applied. Does anybody know if we can add LORs after application? Thanks in advance.

( I know its a similar question but with a little bit of a different circumstance)

Last edited:
I currently have 3 letters but I am waiting for a 4th which would from the most influential attending (has told me as of today that he will be submitting it on Monday). I'm currently on the fence of whether I should submit everything this weekend as is in the mean time versus hold off and wait till the end of this upcoming week (after EFDO processing). I am not sure how much a 1 week delay would affect may chances to obtain interview, if anybody has any advice it would be well appreciated!

Now I think I may have read somewhere that after I apply I can no longer add or change LORs to the programs applied. Does anybody know if we can add LORs after application? Thanks in advance.

( I know its a similar question but with a little bit of a different circumstance)

I'm in same situation. I think you can apply and assign the 4th letter later time.
I just applied to a porgram, and later I could assign additional letters. You wont be able to uncheck previously assigned letters but you can add a new one upto a total of 4 letters

Last edited: