ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know for a fact that another round of interviews are going out next week. Wishing all of us the best! I know I need it :(

I know for a fact that another round of interviews are going out next week. Wishing all of us the best! I know I need it :(

Is this the case for a university program? Or community program?

Rejections from Cornell sent out today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive a waitlist email from Hershey / Penn State ?

this whole time i've thought in the back of my head - i'll pick up a few more interviews.
it's really sunken in now that no, i'm not getting anymore interviews.
and there's a significant possibility i will not match.

Nail whatever interview(s) you have, even if it is at your home institution, and wait for the match. If you don't match and still love cardiology, then you should work as a hospitalist, make money, have a life, pay off some loans, and really spend next year working on research and networking, and re-apply.

For what it's worth, this cycle does appear to be extra competitive, both in terms of number of applicants (some good residencies more than doubled their cardiology applicants this year) and quality of applicants. I know folks from top-10 IM residencies who have gotten rejections from programs that would normally be considered realistic/safeties most other cycles.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks all - appreciate the support ^.^

Reactions: 1 user
(some good residencies more than doubled their cardiology applicants this year)

that's really interesting--how do you know that?
(sorry, don't mean that in the sense of i don't believe you, just genuinely curious where you're getting that info from!)
i certainly believe it

that's really interesting--how do you know that?
(sorry, don't mean that in the sense of i don't believe you, just genuinely curious where you're getting that info from!)
i certainly believe it

My institution and from talking to applicants on the interview trail. Of course, the increased number of applicants at 1 institution is probably offset by decreased number at another; however, this appears to be a tough year for everyone.

My institution and from talking to applicants on the interview trail. Of course, the increased number of applicants at 1 institution is probably offset by decreased number at another; however, this appears to be a tough year for everyone.

My institution had 4 applicants last yr and 8 applicants this yr. I also know of another program with 9 applicants.. tough year.

Hopeful for a couple more this upcoming week

Members don't see this ad :)
Nail whatever interview(s) you have, even if it is at your home institution, and wait for the match. If you don't match and still love cardiology, then you should work as a hospitalist, make money, have a life, pay off some loans, and really spend next year working on research and networking, and re-apply.

For what it's worth, this cycle does appear to be extra competitive, both in terms of number of applicants (some good residencies more than doubled their cardiology applicants this year) and quality of applicants. I know folks from top-10 IM residencies who have gotten rejections from programs that would normally be considered realistic/safeties most other cycles.

Every year applicants think its harder than the last. The ratio of spots vs applicants is climbing each year suggests otherwise.

I agree.. NRMP data suggests that match rate is increasing and nunber of positions to number of position applicants ratio is getting better ---(number of applicants has remained in the same range 1100-1150) , while number of positions are steadily increasing (though not drastically). However, the only catch is these 1100-1150 candidates are the one who have registered for match. That means , candidates who have not registered (that means no IV) are not included in these 1100-1150. So ,bottomline is if one has atleast 1 IV , the competitiveness is same as the previous years, or may be slightly better

Hello all,
I need to switch my interview at Cook County (Stroger) on September 27th. any body interested in Switching? you can email me at [email protected]
Best Regards. Samian
addendum:
I donot need to switch anymore.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about Rutgers RWJ program, New York medical college, or University of Connecticut/Hartford regarding academics and potential for subspecialty placment?

Dont know about Rutgers, NYMC. Hartford program is really good. Its not the main UConn prog. But it has intervention fellowship. Have they already given invites??

My understanding is the UConn Hartford program is the larger, busier, and overall better program. The Farmington program is smaller and not as busy. I am also curious if the Hartford program has sent out invites.

University of Toledo- Anybody interested in switching interview dates? My interview is on 10/3, but I need to switch it to 9/19. That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Dont know about Rutgers, NYMC. Hartford program is really good. Its not the main UConn prog. But it has intervention fellowship. Have they already given invites??

Yes the Uconn Hartford program sent out invites 8/31 and Uconn Farmington sent out rejections 9/6.

U of Wisconsin, U of Kentucky, U of Kansas, U of WV, Allegany, Henry ford, Geisinger
any experience with those places? how would you rank them based on reputation and quality of training?

Wow, are we already there ? You made me realize that we are probably nearing the end of the season....... :(

Any thoughts on how important attending the pre-interview dinner is? I may not be able to make the dinner for (what I think will be) my number 1 program and am worried.

Any thoughts on how important attending the pre-interview dinner is? I may not be able to make the dinner for (what I think will be) my number 1 program and am worried.
for the ones I went to, it made a lot of difference, I would say try your hardest to go. the fellows will remember you very well and usually it gives you more time to leave a better impression.

Let's be honest--this cycle is over for most of us, best of luck and try your best on the interviews you do have. If you have less than 5 IVs be ready to scramble and have a back up plan for next year. What a brutal cycle, won't be surprised to find out more people applied this year than previous years.

Hi would anyone like to switch a date for an interview at Mayo Arizona? I am scheduled to go there on October 6 but have some work commitments I cannot get out of. Please let me know soon. Thanks in advance.

AMG
7/17, 7/19: Yale
7/20: OHSU, Stanford
7/21: Stony Brook
7/24: Baylor Houston, Baylor Texas Heart, UMass
7/25: Brown
7/26: University of Rochester, UF-Jacksonville
7/27: Baylor Dallas, Vidant/ECU
7/31: Baylor Dallas, UVA, OHSU, Morristown
8/1: Utah, Case Western, UF-Gainesville, Nebraska
8/2: U of Tenn Knoxville, Penn State (internal), Duke
8/3: UPMC, Brown
8/4: Rutgers, Iowa
8/7: Georgetown, Buffalo, George Washington, Hopkins, Stanford, Cedars-Sinai, UT Southwestern
8/8: U of Maryland, Mt. Sinai
8/9: Hofstra NSLIJ, BMC, Albany, UCSD, U of Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, Penn State (external)
8/10: Northwestern, Emory
8/11: Scripps, Cornell, Mayo Rochester
8/12: Michigan
8/13: MUSC
8/14: Vermont, USF, UC-Denver, U of Louisville
8/15: Wash U
8/16: Jefferson, Dartmouth
8/17: Lehigh Valley, UCLA
8/21: University of Minnesota, University of Washington, UCSF, UC Davis
8/22: Mt. Sinai, UTSA
8/23: Cooper University Hospital
8/24: U Colorado, Jefferson, Kaiser SF, Montefiore, New Mexico
8/25: Beaumont - Royal Oaks, Vanderbilt
8/28: UPMC (2nd wave)
8/29: Lankenau, Harbor-UCLA
8/30: Albert Einstein (Philadelphia)
8/31: Rush
9/1: U of Miami/Jackson
9/6- Advocate Lutheran
9/12- Advocate Masonic

IMG w/o visa required:
7/21: Baylor Houston
7/25: Geisinger, Yale, Brown
7/26: Brown
7/29: OHSU
7/31: UF Jacksonville, U of Nebraska, Columbia
8/1: Orlando Health, UF Gainesville
8/2: U of Tenn Knoxville, Duke
8/3: Spectrum Health/Michigan State, Miami
8/4: Iowa
8/7: U of Kentucky, Hopkins
8/8: UPMC, Mt. Sinai
8/9: Albany, BMC, Loyola Chicago [approx.]
8/10: WVU, Texas Tech El Paso
8/14: U of Cincinnati, Moorehouse, UC Irvine
8/15: UNC,
8/16: Mercy St Vincent (Toledo)
8/17: Palmetto Health USC School of Medicine, UCLA (investigator track)
8/18: New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center Program
08/23 - Lehigh Valley Health Network
8/25: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Medical College of Georgia
08/29 - Cleveland Clinic - Florida
8/30 - St Joseph Mercy Oakland, Einstein PA
9/1- U of Miami/Jackson, University of South Alabama

IMG requiring visa:
7/24: UMass
7/25: Geisinger
7/27: Vidant/ECU
7/31: University of Nebraska, Morristown
8/1: Loma Linda (h1b)
8/2: Tulane U
8/4: U Iowa (h1b)
8/7: U Buffalo (h1b)
8/10: WVU
8/11: Henry Ford (h1b), Mayo (Rochester)
8/14: Houston Methodist, Vermont
8/15: University of Chicago Northshore Program (H1b)
8/15: University of Missouri (H1b), U Arizona
8/16: Hennepin County, Dartmouth, Stony Brook
8/17: U Cincinnati, St.luke (Bethlem)
8/18: NYMC Westchester
8/21: Loma Linda
8/22: Danbury
8/24: Montefiore, SLU
8/25: Temple
8/29: U Buffalo
8/30: Einstein, Case Western Metrohealth
8/31: KUMC
9/1: Mayo Jacksonville

Rejection:

8/1: U Indiana
8/2: Columbia
8/3: Columbia, Brown, U of Chicago (h1b)
8/7: Geisinger (h1b), Georgetown
8/10: BMC, U of Maryland
8/11 Vidant/ECU (non-visa IMG)
8/12: Duke
8/14: UMass
8/15: UCSD, UC-Denver, UMass, University of Nebraska
8/18: UCSF, Mayo-Rochester, Wash U St. Louis, U Michigan
8/21: UWash
8/22: Dartmouth, U Michigan, Beth Israel Deaconess, UCSF
8/23: U Wisconsin, Cooper University Hospital
8/24: UCSD, St.louis, Univ of New Mexico, Michigan, Loma Linda, UF
8/25: MGH, William Beaumont, UTMB, UW
8/28: University of Arizona Tucson, UT Southwestern
08/29: Ohio State, Thomas Jefferson
8/30: Scripps, Univ Tennesse, UCLA-Harbor
8/31: LSU, U Louisville, KUMC, Rush, Vanderbilt, Scripps
9/1: UCLA

Waistlist:
U Mass
Brown

Can someone share the interview dates for cedars-Sinai ? Thanks

Guys... Based on heresay, experience of senior fellows, any personal experience.. What is a safe number of interviews out of house to match?

Has any of the NYC community programs sent invites (Methodist, Maimo, Downstate,...)? Thanks

Did we hear from UT Houston? What dates did they send out interviews?

Anyone have information regarding programs that historically send out a second round of interview invitations, & when that would typically occur? Thank you in advance!

Guys... Based on heresay, experience of senior fellows, any personal experience.. What is a safe number of interviews out of house to match?

Depends on the applicant. AMG at a upper tier IM program and solid app will probably be safe with less interviews than an IMG at a mid/low tier IM program and average app. Very possible to not match with a ton of interviews, or match with just one.

Rejections from UIC and cook county.

I'm suprised nothing from home state :(

Last edited:
any one got confirmation of interview at st vincent MA. I got email of interview for 3 dates choice. I replied for 3 dates but got no reply back. Any one has same issue.

Have heard from a PD (for AMGs)
10 IVs >95% chance of matching
5 IVs 50/50

obviously it only takes 1

any news from U of Arkansas? Had high hopes from the program

Are you an AMG vs IMG? How many interviews you had before?
Palmetto health is an excellent new program of university of south carolina, U of hawaii comparatively isn't that great and doesn't offer all those training opportunities.
Rejections from UIC and cook county.

I'm suprised nothing from home state :(
I think you are better off cook county. From what I've heard, it is brutal working there. First year fellows are on call inhouse every 4 to 5th day, working around 36 hour shifts. It is very busy program. They usually take 66-100% inhouse candidate most of the times any how. UIC is a great program though

Does anyone know much about mount Sinai clinical track? How does that compare with the academic track?