Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Geo,
Congrats on your acceptance!!

I agree with you. I was also thinking that it would be cool if we can all plan to meet somewhere in person on the first day of orientation. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

:idea:By the way, we can all begin to list our screen names on our profiles to make this easier if you're interested.

We should definately meet up. Who is living in Stiles?

I already have a few people's AIM names - if any MSPers want my AIM s/n just send me a PM :)

Isn't there a museum in Philly that is filled with medical oddities??? I definately want to go check that out! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I already have a few people's AIM names - if any MSPers want my AIM s/n just send me a PM :)

same here just send me a PM :)

DrSumdae,
The museum you're referring to is the Mutter Museum...it's really interesting!!
I'm not in Stiles, but I'll probably be living in the area.

We should definately meet up. Who is living in Stiles?

Isn't there a museum in Philly that is filled with medical oddities??? I definately want to go check that out! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone... I remember starting the MSP program like it was yesterday... I was very nervous and I could not wait to get started... yet, I was still pissed that I did not get into medical school... and a little scared that I had blown my chance to become a physician.

Here I am now... week two of my orthopaedic surgery residency and I am so thankful I stumbled upon the MSP program (SDN was just getting kicked off when I started my MSP year). It was an amazing course of events and I am very very thankful that things have worked out for me.

Most importantly, some of my best friends in my life are from the time I was in Philly... and that is priceless. We still talk to each other a lot as we went through a crazy period of our lives at Drexel... and then again during medical school (although in different schools) and now we are all sharing the crazy stories about the start of residency.

Good luck to all!
WISC-ite

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone... I remember starting the MSP program like it was yesterday... I was very nervous and I could not wait to get started... yet, I was still pissed that I did not get into medical school... and a little scared that I had blown my chance to become a physician.

Here I am now... week two of my orthopaedic surgery residency and I am so thankful I stumbled upon the MSP program (SDN was just getting kicked off when I started my MSP year). It was an amazing course of events and I am very very thankful that things have worked out for me.

Most importantly, some of my best friends in my life are from the time I was in Philly... and that is priceless. We still talk to each other a lot as we went through a crazy period of our lives at Drexel... and then again during medical school (although in different schools) and now we are all sharing the crazy stories about the start of residency.

Good luck to all!
WISC-ite

Thanks so much for thinking of us, WISC-ite! I hope that 6 years from now I will be able to post the same thing!!! I also definately think that long lasting friendships will come from the MSP program and that those friendships will be sooo beneficial in medical school!

Hey WISC-ite,
Thanks for the insight! It's nice to hear positive things from someone who's been in our shoes...

Thanks Wisc!!

Has anyone found a place to live besides Stiles. I'm looking for an apartment or any "place" with monthly rent between $600-800. Or I wouldn't mind rooming with anyone in an apartment close by. Does anyone have any suggestions on housing? If you are looking for roommates please PM me. Thanks.

Hey everyone. My AIM s/n is millionata001. I'm going to be living at Stiles for the school year. I still haven't received a packet from Drexel yet about financial aid, etc. All I've received is a congrats letter. I sent in my deposit already. How about everyone else?

hello everyone!

i've just been accepted into the msp program and wanted to say hi to you all and congrats on getting in!! yay, super excited!!

i don't have aim, but if anyone's looking for a roommate, please PM me...

see you soon! (eeeek!)

Last edited:
I'm so happy for all of you...i've been having anxiety attacks since my interview! i hate this "waiting period." i should find out next week if i got in. hopefully, i can join in on the excitement!

Hey

I finally got the "you've been accepted into MSP" phone call from Chris! I had a few misgivings since my interview with Sean took only 18 minutes. The interview questions were pretty standard and were mentioned in a post a couple pages ago within this thread. But I wanted to add one other question that really threw me off: "how would others describe you?"

I was wondering if any of you have the books list so I can get a head start. Also, do I need to resubmit my fafsa listing Drexel as the graduate school I will attend this fall?

thanks.

Hey

I finally got the "you've been accepted into MSP" phone call from Chris! I had a few misgivings since my interview with Sean took only 18 minutes. The interview questions were pretty standard and were mentioned in a post a couple pages ago within this thread. But I wanted to add one other question that really threw me off: "how would others describe you?"

I was wondering if any of you have the books list so I can get a head start. Also, do I need to resubmit my fafsa listing Drexel as the graduate school I will attend this fall?

thanks.

Congrats fussion!!! :hardy: If you look thru the posts from the past week or so you will find info about textbooks for the fall semester. :)
If you did not list Drexel on your FAFSA than you definately need to get that fixed.

Hey everyone,

In keeping with the spirit of unity that we're trying to foster on this forum,
I've created a page for the MSP program 2007-2008 on the facebook website! So, check it out and put yourself down as a member... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I am curious if anyone has noticed on the DrexelOne Portal, under the Term Master Schedule, it says that our classes are at the Queen Lane campus (except for Grad Pharm). Has anyone actually heard this??? I am hoping it is a typo!!!

I am in the process of sending in my last bits of paperwork, such as proof of insurance and a copy of all of my shots. Do I have to wait until all this information is processed before I can see the classes for the fall semester? Each time I log onto my account at Drexel Portal it says I have no classes. I'd appreciate the insight :).

Cluj,
I had the same problem. When I emailed the IT people, I was told that the problem would be corrected once my acceptance paperwork was processed (or in other words, once they had my deposit). My problem has been fixed now, but you might want to email them too. Good luck!

I am in the process of sending in my last bits of paperwork, such as proof of insurance and a copy of all of my shots. Do I have to wait until all this information is processed before I can see the classes for the fall semester? Each time I log onto my account at Drexel Portal it says I have no classes. I'd appreciate the insight :).

the official textbook for physics class is:

Serway/Faughn's College Physics (volume 1) 7th edition

the advanced topics in chem class the teacher gives us his own homemade handouts for free...so no need to purchase anything for that class.

Thanks Dr. Pinky,

Do you by any chance have that e-mail handy for the IT people? I've sent my deposit already. Thank you in advance.

Cluj,
I had the same problem. When I emailed the IT people, I was told that the problem would be corrected once my acceptance paperwork was processed (or in other words, once they had my deposit). My problem has been fixed now, but you might want to email them too. Good luck!

Those of you who are moving from far away how are you handling the transportation issue? I am moving from Wisconsin to Philadelphia and that's approximately 800 miles. Renting a truck would cost me about 1000 including gas :eek:. There are few companies that let you do a one way trip with their cars.

Which is why I am curious how the rest of you are finalizing your transportation needs. Are you driving, shipping boxes, flying with just two suitcases?

Also I will be living in Stiles so I need a bed and study desk at the very least. If anyone knows of any good deals I would greatly appreciate it.:)

Those of you who are moving from far away how are you handling the transportation issue? I am moving from Wisconsin to Philadelphia and that's approximately 800 miles. Renting a truck would cost me about 1000 including gas :eek:. There are few companies that let you do a one way trip with their cars.

Which is why I am curious how the rest of you are finalizing your transportation needs. Are you driving, shipping boxes, flying with just two suitcases?

Also I will be living in Stiles so I need a bed and study desk at the very least. If anyone knows of any good deals I would greatly appreciate it.:)

Hey Cluj,
I am going to buy my bedroom furniture down there (the mattress can than be delivered!) I'm sure there will be tons of places nearby to get stuff...I know that there is an IKEA in the philly area, too. Move in days for stiles are Aug 4-5, but classes don't start until the following week - so we'll have quiet a bit of time to get stuff together.

Hello--

I recently just recieved word that my application is finally complete. I've been calling Chris everyday for the past few weeks (since I last sent in my app around Mid June and they told me I was missing stuff-- even though everything was sent in). He told me that the director will review my file and get back to me about an interview. Does anyone know how long it's going to take to get an interview and then acceptance? I feel like if my application wasn't lost in the mail for so long I would have gotten a reply back sooner. I'm getting anxious because MSP in rolling admissions. Does anyone have an idea of how many seats are still left? Please tell me anything you know. Thanks =)

everything u need to know is within this thread (from interview questions to housing to financial aid to parking, etc.)...i suggest you start from post 1

Just got off the phone with a guy from Financial Aid.

I have already applied for Stafford Loans and have been notified through AES about what amount of moneys i will be receive through subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans.

So I still have been waiting to get my friggin Financial Aid award letter from Drexel. So i call Financial Aid and the guy tells me that it was never marked down that i should have gotten my award letter. This is after i talked to some of the financial aid people in person a couple of weeks ago...UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Also, for people who have been snooping around the DrexelOne Portal Website and saw that our classes were at the Queen Lane campus (medical school campus) this is completely false as well. I called admissions for Medical Science Programs yesterday and a familiar face told me that was completely wrong. All our classes will be at the new college building in Center City. It was stated to me that the DrexelOne Portal Website is awful and is never updated...so don't make any final judgements based on what is shown.

Unfortunately we will find ourselves repeatingly calling drexel administration throughout this year to solve all our financial and account problems...so get used to it.

I'm totally off dealing this already.

P.S. We DO NOT have to wait until we receive our financial award letter from Drexel to apply for the GradPLUS loan...just FYI

hardwork,
thanks for finding out about that DrexelOne thing!!!

hey guys

got a question:

for the physics textbook "college physics vol 1" by Serway and Faughn, would I need physicsnow to do the online questions? also, should i expect "college physics vol 2" for the following semester?

thanks!

no i wouldnt worry about having the online CD...thats just my opinion.

yes, volume 2 would be needed for advanced topics in physics II course in the spring

Hi everyone,

I had posted earlier about a lack of access to my fall classes. Consequently, I got in contact with Jennifer Gay from the IRT Department and she told me, after talking to the MSP program, that we will be registering for classes during orientation. So if anyone is in the same position as me don't worry. You'll sign up for classes on the day that you'll start classes.:)

Get excited!!!!

Hey all,
For anyone who will be taking out the GradPLUS loan, there is a sheet that you have to fill out (http://www.drexel.edu/provost/financialaid/PDF/4878_FAplusloan.pdf) and send to Drexel. Ive been talking with Cindy Mchugh and she said that the loan is thru EdAmerica (www.edamerica.com), but that you can choose your own lender if you want - you just have to indicate that on the request form (altho, there is no where to do that, so i guess u just write it in wherever). I went with edamerica b/c they looked like they had the best deal.
Cindy also said that you can apply thru edamerica online and that it doesn't matter if you apply for the loan before or after you send in the request (I applied for the loan, and then sent in the request form). Cindy's email is [email protected].

Additionally, you can chose your own lender for the staffords too. The KeystoneBEST program thru AES is really good.
The AES website has a lot of info that is worth checking out: www.aessuccess.org.

Insurance:
I got a pamphlet in the mail about the health insurance options avaliable. Check out www.chickering.com for more info. I tried to enroll in the program yesterday but it said that it did not recognize my student ID. They said that that may be b/c they just got the system up and not all of the data is uploaded yet, but anyway, you MUST either enroll or waive the health insurance. Do not use the link for the med school on the Chickering website, that is for MD students only. Use the center city link. The Drexel contact for health insurance questions is: Adriane Dalton ([email protected])

See you all .....in a few weeks! :hello:

I got a phone call and an email yesterday!! :hardy: See everyone in August!!!

Friends,

Called Loretta Walker (the woman who hosted the Medical Science Programs open house last Feb) and she confirmed that the orientation will be on August 13th at 8:30am in the New College Building @ the Center City/Hahnaman Campus.

At the orientation we will register for our classes, receive our Dragon Cards (school IDs), get class schedule, information on books, and probably have the chance to have a final Q & A with whoever is taking us through the motions on that day. Then after all that is done i believe we go ahead and go to our scheduled classes for that day (forgot to ask about this but i think someone else told me this is what occurs). She mentioned it is going to be a long day so brace yourselves.

We can't receive our Dragon Cards (thus no access to school facilities) beforehand because we have to be registered for our classes. Since we won't be registered for classes until the day of orientation that kind eliminates the chance of getting the damn school ID early. So for anyone who is moving into the area early forget about being able to use the school's facilities (at any campus) before August 13th.

The ONE thing WE CAN use is the free shuttle service. Our Acceptance letters are our "ticket" to get on the free shuttles. So until we receive the Dragon Cards we must show the drivers this letter to let us on the shuttles.

Loretta Walker
DPMS Director
Tel: 215.762.7125
E-mail: [email protected]

Enjoy,

Pete

I wonder if this is the same for people living in Stiles...I thought we needed our Dragon card to get into the building. :confused: Maybe not :) I'm calling Stiles tomorrow to ask some questions.

Friends,

Called Loretta Walker (the woman who hosted the Medical Science Programs open house last Feb) and she confirmed that the orientation will be on August 13th at 8:30am in the New College Building @ the Center City/Hahnaman Campus.

At the orientation we will register for our classes, receive our Dragon Cards (school IDs), get class schedule, information on books, and probably have the chance to have a final Q & A with whoever is taking us through the motions on that day. Then after all that is done i believe we go ahead and go to our scheduled classes for that day (forgot to ask about this but i think someone else told me this is what occurs). She mentioned it is going to be a long day so brace yourselves.

We can't receive our Dragon Cards (thus no access to school facilities) beforehand because we have to be registered for our classes. Since we won't be registered for classes until the day of orientation that kind eliminates the chance of getting the damn school ID early. So for anyone who is moving into the area early forget about being able to use the school's facilities (at any campus) before August 13th.

The ONE thing WE CAN use is the free shuttle service. Our Acceptance letters are our "ticket" to get on the free shuttles. So until we receive the Dragon Cards we must show the drivers this letter to let us on the shuttles.

Loretta Walker
DPMS Director
Tel: 215.762.7125
E-mail: [email protected]

Enjoy,

Pete

Hey guys, I haven't been writing much on this post but I'm going to be attending Drexel's MSP program. Look forward to seeing you guys. On a side note, when are you guys planning on moving in? I'm living in Stiles and I know the move in date is Aug. 4-5 but I was considering moving in after that being that classes don't officially start till the 13th. Let me know, thanks.

I had my interview today and I think it went really well. Unfortunately, Chris (who interviewed me) told me that the seats are full and if I got in I would be put on the waitlist. Is anyone else on the waitlist? I'm just trying to see what my chances are at this point. Any feedback would be great!
:thumbup: ?

Hey guys, I haven't been writing much on this post but I'm going to be attending Drexel's MSP program. Look forward to seeing you guys. On a side note, when are you guys planning on moving in? I'm living in Stiles and I know the move in date is Aug. 4-5 but I was considering moving in after that being that classes don't officially start till the 13th. Let me know, thanks.

I will be moving into Stiles on Aug 4th. I'm moving in the first day possible because I know I will need time to get settled, buy furniture, get acquainted with the city and campus,etc.

I will be moving into Stiles on Aug 4th. I'm moving in the first day possible because I know I will need time to get settled, buy furniture, get acquainted with the city and campus,etc.

Same here.

TwoStep...good luck!

i emailed Michele to find out my roommates, but she emailed me back saying...

"Good Morning When you have an opportunity can you please call in for your roommate information at 215-553-7401. Thank you!"

I actually am working 9-5 monday - friday and literally get no chance to call her and I was hoping someone on sdn will be living with me...
so whose living in stiles room 805, besides me (3 Bedroom)...

I had my interview today and I think it went really well. Unfortunately, Chris (who interviewed me) told me that the seats are full and if I got in I would be put on the waitlist. Is anyone else on the waitlist? I'm just trying to see what my chances are at this point. Any feedback would be great!
:thumbup: ?

I just got the dreaded email on Monday that I was waitlisted... It said I was qualified, but the seats had already filled up. So, I have to wait till someone drops out. I had to reply back with my signature and telephone number stating that I intended to be on the waitlist and that I only have 24 hours to give them notice to accept an offer and 48 hours to deposit money. The worst part is that Chris told me they can call me up anytime until the first day of school...This sucks:mad:. I want to get in sooooo bad! I don't know what to do... I have no idea what my chances are either, being on the waitlist. Does anyone know???

Hi everybody,

First of congratulations to those who have already been accepted to the program. I had my interview just now and it lasted for 12 minutes. The interviewer was Shawn and I think I didn't do that well during the interview...I stumbled on several questions...but now it's over so I'm relieved. Basically, he asked if 1. If I applied for medical school and if I didn't how come? 2. How did I prepared for the MCAT? 3. My strenths and weaknesses 4. Extracurricular activities 5. Future of healthcare? 6. Exposure to medicine 7. Why doctor? and 8. Balance in my life. I asked him several questions and he was saying that the committee will meet this Friday to decide the last batch of acceptances. He also told me that the class are full right now and each year they accept about 60 students into the MSP program and right now they are in the high 50 which means that there are only several spots available so I'm keeping my hopes up...I wish everything goes well for everybody, myself included. Thanks for the posts, they were very informative. Good luck and good health! I'ma go to sleep now :sleep:

Ok, is anyone flying into Philly EARLY SATURDAY MORNING to move into Stiles?

I'm arriving into PHL at 6:30 and expect to be out with my luggage (two large suitcases) by 7:00 am.

If anyone is arriving into PHL in the morning and would like to split a taxi to Stiles, I'd be happy to do it. Even if you're not flying in as early as me, if its close, I can always have breakfast there and wait. Let me know. otherwise i'll be taking the SEPTA and no one wants to do that at 7 AM.

i emailed Michele to find out my roommates, but she emailed me back saying...

"Good Morning When you have an opportunity can you please call in for your roommate information at 215-553-7401. Thank you!"

I actually am working 9-5 monday - friday and literally get no chance to call her and I was hoping someone on sdn will be living with me...
so whose living in stiles room 805, besides me (3 Bedroom)...

Yeah, I got that response the last time I emailed her. She's probably really busy and it prob getting TONS of emails. I have not been able to call her, yet.

Good luck to everyone who is waitlisted! :)

hi

im going to be in the msp program and am starting to freak out a bit because i have received absolutely nothing in the mail with the exception of the acceptance letter. i was abroad until last night and was in contact with someone at the office through email, who said that i am in the system.

does anyone know when the first tuition deadline is? im having nightmares of having missed a deadline, which isnt helping the delhi belly i contracted abroad . . . thanks so much

Friends,

I have figured out a way to waive/enroll Drexel's Health Insurance with the Chickering group. I have had problems trying to waive this damn insurance for weeks now but today i finally figured it out.

1) Go into Internet Explorer

2) type www.chickering.com

3) Go into "Find your School"

4) Type Drexel University

5) Pick the campus on which you are a student. We need to choose Drexel University College of Medicine, Queen Lane Campus.

* i know we aren't students here...i kept on choosing the center city campus and it never worked. I finally chose the Queen Lane Campus and now its working. Go Figure...

6) Follow directions to waive or enroll

7) A confirmation will be sent via e-mail

This process must be completed at the beginning of each academic year

Friends,

I have figured out a way to waive/enroll Drexel's Health Insurance with the Chickering group. I have had problems trying to waive this damn insurance for weeks now but today i finally figured it out.

1) Go into Internet Explorer

2) type www.chickering.com

3) Go into "Find your School"

4) Type Drexel University

5) Pick the campus on which you are a student. We need to choose Drexel University College of Medicine, Queen Lane Campus.

* i know we aren't students here...i kept on choosing the center city campus and it never worked. I finally chose the Queen Lane Campus and now its working. Go Figure...

6) Follow directions to waive or enroll

7) A confirmation will be sent via e-mail

This process must be completed at the beginning of each academic year

You don't think it matters that we would be choosing the wrong campus? I've tried too and it said my student id# was invalid.

you tried waiving and you chose the center city campus right? Well i did that too and i got the same message.

Why does it say our classes are at the Queen Lane Campus and not the new college building on the drexel one portal??? Nothing really matters anymore...forget about getting technical...everything is F-ed Up. You try calling Drexel and asking their advice and they probably won't even know what your talking about.

I waived it using the Queen Lane Campus.

I'm moving into Stiles a week early, on July 28th. I have to be in DC the weekend of actual move in, so I can't make it, but I had no problem getting everything settled. Michele was really helpful and said she would have a key waiting at the desk when I arrived. The only thing is that they charge $30/ day for early move in. If anyone else is planning on moving to Philly earlier than aug 4th, let me know! I'll be around :)

you tried waiving and you chose the center city campus right? Well i did that too and i got the same message.

Why does it say our classes are at the Queen Lane Campus and not the new college building on the drexel one portal??? Nothing really matters anymore...forget about getting technical...everything is F-ed Up. You try calling Drexel and asking their advice and they probably won't even know what your talking about.

I waived it using the Queen Lane Campus.

Hey all,
The Center City link at www.chickering.com is working now :)