DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WELCOME TO page 31!!! Movin' on up!!!

Here's the discussion I had with Dr. Larsen:

Should DMU demolish the old UOMHS building where most of the first years take their classes? (that white church looking building)

What does anyone think of this? Demolish or maintain?

Members don't see this ad.

DEMOLISH!!!! blow it up, tear it down... whatever. Just get rid of it!

There is no compairing LH1 to the auditorium. You will come to appreciate the LH (lecture hall) chairs and stadium seating. If they can tear down the building and put up another one like the Azner building with a few more large lecture halls, that would be a definate bonus!

I know that the administration was talking about moving the first year classes to the MEC but I think they have scrapped this idea. As I understand it, you guys will be in the auditorium. It isn't necessarily bad, its just not as nice as the lecture halls in Azner.... it will make you appreciate LH! that much more your second year!

Members don't see this ad :)
To the class of 2005: I checked with barb fox and your class has been filled (probably a while ago)... 200 students in class of 2005. This is down from 205 for the class of 2004. I think this decrease was made in response to some students concerns about seating and such.... ATTENTION: administration does listen to the students!!!

Class of 2004: Just 24 hours to go!!! :cool:

Actually I echo that same sentiments.... Although, I know the significance of the a historic building, I'm not sure it's much use to us.... It seems as if, if they keep that building, that progress is not seen.

Dr. Larsen, echoed this same sentiment itself. One problem they have to figure out is how to put all those people somewhere when they do blow up the building.... With such limited space in the campus, it's hard to relocate certain departments.... I guess there's also a lot of politics behind.... :cool:

So what gives?!!! What is REALLY the reason why that building is still up?

I've heard that it's a constant talk but no action....

PO, as I remember, they are supposed to start in on that building as soon as they finish with the one they are working on now.

Be glad you aren't taking anatomy right now... little or no AC in the room = hot, sticky, and STINKY!

I talked with Dr. Khan yesterday (anatomy prof) and he said that the remodeling would be done by August.

Anyone out there know for sure what the plans are for the old building (5?) for sure.
JP, you have stumped me... now I must bring you down! The student has become the master!

Thank goodness for the August finish.... Dr. Larsen told me that the due date for the construction was suppose to be in the beginning of August, but apparently it won't be till mid August.... either way, it'll be finish before we take anatomy. :D

So,... hook it up with the NBC email for the show E.R. .... I'm gonna email until I see an osteopathic physician on that show.... That would most definitely be a good PR for the AOA and osteopaths alike.

:cool:

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of PR that putting a DO on ER would do for the profession... as long as they do a good job. Wouldn't even need the AOA to represnt us then, just use ER! :D

Maybe we should have the classes of '04 and '05 put a letter together to send to the writers of ER... seriously!

You're definitely right.... the general public would probably listen to the show E.R. more so than an organization called AOA which I've learned could be misinterpreted as other organizations... There's American Optometry Association, Aikido O(something) Association, etc.... Out of all the acronyms they've concocted.... why something soooo NOT different....

Anyway... I'll post more stuff later.... Gotta go proof read a friend's personal essay for AMCAS and AACOMAS!!! I should start charging for this.... :D No biggy, their friends.... :cool:

I just remembered.... Josh, you have the day off till tomorrow morning for your final comprehensive test for pharm.... 9-11am.... After that you're a free man!!! yeehaw!!! Good luck studying.... As if you need it :D

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the fourteeth page for page 31... Do you realize that this thread is moving pretty darn fast.... the post after this one... It'll be the 32nd page....

Aren't you suppose to be studying Josh?

This forum thread is like a REALLLYY SLLLOOOWWW Chat.... :D

pharmacist + pharmacology + Iowa = VERY BORED!!

WELCOME TO page 32!!!

So far to recap,.... we've been sharing our thoughts on the old DMU church like building.... whether or not it should be torn down.... Give your opinions....

Another thing is a thought on writing a letter from Class of 2004 and Class of 2005 to the NBC network to incorporate an osteopathic physician into the ER show.... This sounds like a great idea.

BTW, thanks to Josh, he has found out for us that the admission for DMU is now closed. Totaling 200 students for this year compared to 205 last year.

So here's another bit of a question:
IF we do want to start a letter for NBC, how do we go about doing it? If it's to belong to the class of 04 and 05, how do we get people's thumbs up on it.... let alone the thumbs up of DMU??? I'm sure there's some sort of bureacratic process behind all this.... Any thoughts anyone?

California + Not starting med school yet = eagerness to start already!!! :D

Popoy, Is Windsor Terrace nice? I drove by yesterday and I almost stopped by but glad I didnt since you say they have no vacancy. It looks like I'll be staying at Grand Terrace. Going to fill out the app and send my deposit. I looked at Grand Colony and I didnt like it at all - it had a real funky smell in the halls and ripped screens and broken lightbulbs did not impress me. Anyway the apt search is finally done and I'll be out of the country until school starts. Say hi to Kid T for me. Havent seen him in a while. Happy posting on SDN! Until next time...

Windsor Terrace is definitely nice.... The managers are really good with responding promptly... They are both retired from the Army.... I got really lucky that someone broke lease when I went apartment hunting.... That's why I'm in Des Moines so early....

glad you found a place vietcongs.... Next step is just school.... Where you off to? if you don't mind me asking.... you mentioned you were going to be out of the country?

Glad you can join our little thread here.... post more if you can.... :cool:

JP, give me some time to think about the letter. Hope your enjoying the rain!!

Pharmacist + pharmacology + Iowa + RAIN = REALLLLYYY BORED!!! :eek: :eek:

what's up with the weather again.... Yesterday was nice warm/hot and this morning I woke up to this fat storm and then it stopped and just an hour ago another down pour with lightning and thunder.... Am I enjoying?.... huh?!.... it's interesting.... I'm not to sure about enjoying :D

Thanks Josh.... You have less than twenty four hours to go.... before your first year officially end.... what are you going to do next? (Going to Disneyland) :D

Later, :cool:

just to fore warn you... I am leaving monday for two weeks, so I will not be able to post.
Going diving with my dad, drinking some beer, and taking in some sun!!!

Kid T, if you want me to take a look at the list of meds, you better e-mail them to me by friday or saturday.

Mad props to DMU, Josh

JP, where the hell is everyone???

Speak up!!!

Not sure where everyone is.... I guess they all left for summer... enjoying their last breath of freedom.... :D

Enjoy your break Josh, I'm sure you truly deserve it.... Don't get drunk, you don't want to miss any minute of your waking time enjoying the sun!!! ;)

Come on people..... we gotzzzz to post.... Josh is leaving.... Mannnn, this thread's going to slow down.... :)

POST UP PEEPS!!! :cool:

I was just reading an article about optometrist and getting "board certified" or not.... It seems as if, optometrist put up with a lot of stuff yet they are not still recognized as board certified until they need to do other stuff....

For those of you interested, I advise you to visit the pre-optometry forum....

:cool:

I'll keep this thread alive :D

I'm sure by the time you guys come back, they'll be an entire page of just ME!!! :cool:

I guess I'll be all alone for now on.... :(

Anyway.... just wanted to swing by and see if people responded to my question.

later, :cool:

BTW, Josh... Good luck in your pharmacology test... I'm sure you're studying for it for tomorrow.... Please express my good lucks in D+R.... :D

Alright, for those of you waiting to see how much it cost me to get my titers and the Tower Medical Center-DMU.... The lady in charge of students is still sick.... I'll make sure I post up.... :D

Tomorrow's going to be the open house for the biomechanics lab up in the fourth floor of the med tower.... I'm pretty excited.... Maybe I can hook it up with some profs.... :D

I'll report on that tomorrow.... Come on people post up.... We're almost to the 33rd page :D Damn, I have no life right now.... pretty sad... :( Although I'm enjoying the freedom.... :cool:

WELCOME TO Page 33!!!

So anyone else out there who want to post.... I'll give you guys time to catch up.... :D

WE met a mattdmu last night in the chatroom.... I thought he was suppose to join.... If you're reading this matt.... post up and say hi.... Later peeps.... :cool:

Popoy,
I'm going to Vietnam until orientation starts. What are your plans for the summer (besides living on the SDN forums) ? Whatever you do, Have fun!

"waisting away again in margaritaville..."

JP, its the bends that scares me, not the beer!

Of course; me twitching, acting strange, and talking incoherently may not be noticed as abnormal for quite a while!!! :D

Just noticed that I became a senior member... when did that happen???

Does this mean that I get discounts at the movies now??

Lame, I know.

vietcongs.... I'm spending as much time with my wife as I can.... I go on the web when I have time and when she doing other things...

My mother and sister will be visiting this weekend and so I'm pretty excited about that... My mom and sis have never been anywhere outside California or Nevada.... So those are things I'm looking for ward too...

WOW!! Vietnam!!! Have you been back there before, vietcong? Sounds exciting.... were you born there? just wonderin' :cool:

whatever you do, Josh.... Have fun!!! :D

Come back in one piece!!! :D I have yet to begin to ask you questions.... just joking :D

I encourage all of you to visit my new thread "DO's on ER" I posted the e-mail address where you can send your messages to NBC to let them know that we want to see a DO on the cast of ER! Look what Top Gun did the military!!! This is our profession and we have to do what we can to become recognized... no one else is going to do it for us!

Peace, Josh

JP, one of the dives at the place I'm going to is called "Shark Alley." You go and lay on the sea floor and about 100-200 black tips and reef sharks start circling overhead. I'll try to make sure that I don't have any open wounds before I jump in!!! :D :D :D

They mentioned that Milluchi (SP?) went to a carribean school... maybe they'll mention that our new "theoretical" DO went to DMU!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Barb Fox would have to buy a new file cabinet to fit all of the applications!!!

I heard about Malluci long time ago.... but the series never explored his FMG status.... just that he makes a call on the right disease before some of the docs especially any disease that is tropical by nature.

BTW Malluci was a graduate of St. George's University in the caribbeans....

I'll visit that thread on DO in ER.... I sure would like to see that theoretical osteopathic physician to be a graduate of DMU!!! :D

I was just at that thread.... I'll go ahead and make a letter up and send it in....

I wonder how much NBC would take a gander at the idea of having an osteopathic physician in the ER....

Anyway... thanks for the link....

WELCOME TO Page 34!!!!

I encourage my fellow classmates to email NBC about having an osteopathic physician on staff in the ER.... Just maybe, if we get enough letters or comments to NBC that they'll consider the D.O. E.R. doc to be a graduate of DMU... Wouldn't that be the BOMB@!!! yeeaahhhh baby!!! :cool:

Later peeps.... off to watching the Three Kings with my lovely wife and a french silk pie.... at this rate I'm going to be a balloon before medical school starts.... :D

Hey Josh,

Seems like people like your idea about emailing the networks.... This may just happen.... :D....

BTW... I just watched "Three Kings" with George Clooney, et.al. - I don't seem to like it much - I don't recommend it. See it if you have nothing else to do for a couple of hours. :D

Any suggestions for movie rentals? :cool:

wow.... I guess noone's posting except for me. :(

People are actually responding to the DO in ER thread wondering how DO's are going to be "distinct" from other MD's. I think the exposure is enough to get the word out the osteopathic physicians do exist and that we are capable of doing the same things as MD.... Anyway.... :cool:

Hey there JP, I'm going to put together a letter this summer for the classes of 2004 and 2005 to sign... I'm hoping to get Dr. Fong's e-mail or mail address so we can send it to him directly.

Once you start school (OMM anyways) you will start hearing many stories from Dr. Boesler and the fellows about how knowing OMM has helped them in diagnosing everything from ruptured appendixes to spondylolysis.

OMM really does help us to become even better diagnosticians.