****DMU Class of 2011- Continued....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
l think the answer to # 1 was (C), which was attitudes I think...but # 2 I am not sure...i think I got that wrong as well...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone when/if a second run on the BM test is going to be done? I'm still pretty confused on the process here. Is a second run automatic if enough people miss the questions or do enough people have to appeal or what?

Does anyone when/if a second run on the BM test is going to be done? I'm still pretty confused on the process here. Is a second run automatic if enough people miss the questions or do enough people have to appeal or what?

I went to the test review so here is the low down....

They will automatically review questions in which 50% or more of the class got wrong. From what I can remember there were about maybe 5 of those. Monsma is throwing away question 19, so anyone who got that wrong is automatically given that point. If you have any problems with any of the other questions, you can either email or write a letter directly to Dr. Means or Ms. Monsma and tell them exactly why you think the question was unfair or how your answer might be right...etc.

From what I gathered, I think there is a pretty good shot that they will give us at least 3 questions (including 19). I think 43 is one (about chronic stress suppressing the immune system) and I think 2 we can get back, because according to that answer, the ultimately goal of becoming a competent physician (culturally aware) is to decrease the health disparity....I put to allow physicians to treat their patients in the best possible way (or something like that)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet sweet and sweet. I missed 2, 19, AND 43. Looks like I may get those back plus a few other choice ones I'm going to argue.

BTW, that biochem burned me out. I've read about 5 pages of third week development now for the last hour. So sleeeeepy...:sleep:

Sweet sweet and sweet. I missed 2, 19, AND 43. Looks like I may get those back plus a few other choice ones I'm going to argue.

BTW, that biochem burned me out. I've read about 5 pages of third week development now for the last hour. So sleeeeepy...:sleep:
Oh man, week 3 SUCKS

does anyone think that dr breithaupt sound like the actor impersonating pres bush on snl??

DrMars I see you up there on SDN....start preparing your mind for the enormity of this next Behavior med lecture

yeah he really does, just call him lil' Bush!

Dr. Hisley sounds exactly like Mr. Garrison from south park, UuummmmKaaayyyyy!!:laugh: It is so heard to listen seriously when we are watching an episode of south park

yeah he really does, just call him lil' Bush!

Dr. Hisley sounds exactly like Mr. Garrison from south park, UuummmmKaaayyyyy!!:laugh: It is so heard to listen seriously when we are watching an episode of south park
I totally agree

Whew! If spending your life studying doesn't make you feel like a medical student, it'll hit ya when you make that first incision into your cadaver. :corny:

Four hours a week in there isn't gonna be so bad at all...especially with those pimp HDTVs

(don't forget to watch the movie "Unrest" before goin to gross lab):D

since the lab ive washed my hands like 165 times and still cant get the formaldyhide smell of it. I looked closely at one of my fingers and noticed a little break in the skin not deep enough to feel really. So I must nicked my glove!!!! Im contaminated:scared::scared::scared:

Cutting into the cadaver yesterday & now all these powerful lectures on death & dying have made me feel v. v. awkward. Anyone else feeling bummed yet? :cry:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cutting into the cadaver yesterday & now all these powerful lectures on death & dying have made me feel v. v. awkward. Anyone else feeling bummed yet? :cry:

Your in medical school, time to grow up.

OUCH! Well, excuse ME for being human. I did not realize I had to turn off my emotions in order to be in med school. I guess, the Behavioral Med was accurate in telling us that empathy decreases as SOME people progress through school. Additionally, who do you think you are telling to grow up while you know NOTHING about who I am???????

Lastly, in case you didn't realize this, it should be YOU're in med school NOT "your in med school."

Just because we are in medical school doesn't mean that we don't get to have feelings about death and dying, especially in relation to a body of a person who had a life and a family which we are hacking to pieces.

or do you prefer to be a doctor who has no emotional response to the death of another human being regardless if they are your patient or not?

I would really not want you as my or my family's doctor.

Just because we are in medical school doesn't mean that we don't get to have feelings about death and dying, especially in relation to a body of a person who had a life and a family which we are hacking to pieces.

or do you prefer to be a doctor who has no emotional response to the death of another human being regardless if they are your patient or not?

I would really not want you as my or my family's doctor.
Agreed; today's lectures were really heavy and intense and if you didn't feel some sort of empathy or compassion for those children and their families something is wrong.

I know those lectures were tough, I have 3 kids and can relate as much as any of them. Theres no reason to be bummed about it though, you should expect these things in medical school, you should expect it to be tough. You should plan on it being difficult, and no one is going to hold your hand through it.

Med school forces you to mature in weighs many of us haven't had to do before because it wasn't time, or weren't faced with such obstacles in our young, limited experienced lives. So yea, these are growing up times, these are times where you acknowledge it sucks, push on, and reach for your goal and realize, your in medical school.

Is that a better PC explanation for everyone...I'm not very good with the fluffy stuff?

I know those lectures were tough, I have 3 kids and can relate as much as any of them. Theres no reason to be bummed about it though, you should expect these things in medical school, you should expect it to be tough. You should plan on it being difficult, and no one is going to hold your hand through it.

Med school forces you to mature in weighs many of us haven't had to do before because it wasn't time, or weren't faced with such obstacles in our young, limited experienced lives. So yea, these are growing up times, these are times where you acknowledge it sucks, push on, and reach for your goal and realize, your in medical school.

Is that a better PC explanation for everyone...I'm not very good with the fluffy stuff?
As far as I can tell no one was commenting that the subject was easy or they wish that someone had prepared them for this. I don't see anyone asking for their hand being held. I see someone saying "that lecture today really affected me in a way I couldn't have predicted." I think that acknowledging that, learning from that, and incorporating that into your eventual practice are all important. I don't necessarily agree with the grin and bear it attitude; topics like this take a whole lot of reflection b/c we will all have to deal with issues like these. God forbid I ever talk to people like Dr. Flores was speaking about the neurosurgeons today.

Well, first off, I don't want to seem mean for my comment, so thanks for trying to clarify your perspective. Obviously, we don't all see eye to eye BUT part of being "grown up" if you will & part of being a physician that people can come to & trust is being able to understand multiple dimensions of things and also simply analyzing them while acknowledging not everyone will be the same. In addition to my commitment to medical school, I am a mother & a sister and I was just merely expressing that I felt awkward about the subject of death. It doesnt mean I cannot handle these situations (trust me, I know what's expected of me & I know what I need to do to carry out my commitment). At the same time, however, I am a truly sentimental person & ANYONE has the right to express their thoughts & emotions - IT doesn't make them any less capable of doing their job or doing well as a physician. It's probably even better to be honest w/ yourself about how you feel- because it is only human nature to feel certain things - in order for you to be able to relate to people and to provide them with care. I don't think it's "more proper" to put on a tough act. I personally can still empathize & still do my job and deal with any situation effectively. So, moral of the story, I think, is just respect the perspectives of others & don't rush to assuming things. I don't need someone who doesnt know me telling me to grow up just because I'm expressing my feelings towards a particular topic & I never asked for a holding hand.

Actually it kind of sucked too. Where you listening when Dr. Flores was talking about how the resident broke down and cried and how he himself would cry with the patients? Some times certain situations (cant think of anything worse then kids dying) are tough on people, especially first years who haven't been conditioned. All m-said stated was that she was bumbed out. Also, as classmates we should have a little more support for each other then that :thumbdown:

On a totally unrelated note, I'm really bummed that it's friday night at 10:20 and I'm stuck inside trying to remember the origin and insertion of semispinalis capitis.

Actually it kind of sucked too. Where you listening when Dr. Flores was talking about how the resident broke down and cried and how he himself would cry with the patients? Some times certain situations (cant think of anything worse then kids dying) are tough on people, especially first years who haven't been conditioned. All m-said stated was that she was bumbed out. Also, as classmates we should have a little more support for each other then that :thumbdown:

Yeah... Soundman is not a first year. So he didn't hear the story yesterday.

Sorry he didn't give you all a hug and tell you it's ok.

I think he was just saying not to get too caught up emotionally in the class. Bad things happen in the world. Yes... it's sad. Try not to let it interfere with your life.

There is much more to deal with in medicine than a sad behavioral med lecture. Get used to it.

Don't worry, you grow accustom to the cadavers in no time.

Well, first off, I don't want to seem mean for my comment, so thanks for trying to clarify your perspective. Obviously, we don't all see eye to eye BUT part of being "grown up" if you will & part of being a physician that people can come to & trust is being able to understand multiple dimensions of things and also simply analyzing them while acknowledging not everyone will be the same. In addition to my commitment to medical school, I am a mother & a sister and I was just merely expressing that I felt awkward about the subject of death. It doesnt mean I cannot handle these situations (trust me, I know what's expected of me & I know what I need to do to carry out my commitment). At the same time, however, I am a truly sentimental person & ANYONE has the right to express their thoughts & emotions - IT doesn't make them any less capable of doing their job or doing well as a physician. It's probably even better to be honest w/ yourself about how you feel- because it is only human nature to feel certain things - in order for you to be able to relate to people and to provide them with care. I don't think it's "more proper" to put on a tough act. I personally can still empathize & still do my job and deal with any situation effectively. So, moral of the story, I think, is just respect the perspectives of others & don't rush to assuming things. I don't need someone who doesnt know me telling me to grow up just because I'm expressing my feelings towards a particular topic & I never asked for a holding hand.

Hey, I still think I need to grow up...tell me:laugh:...and way to tell him president said;)

And what is with the recent online cat fights...first in lecture...like literally..emailing back and forth during lecture...and now on SDN class thread...lol

On a totally unrelated note, I'm really bummed that it's friday night at 10:20 and I'm stuck inside trying to remember the origin and insertion of semispinalis capitis.

ouch! 10:20 friday night...you should be stuck trying to figure out what type of hearty, dark beer you are going to have instead of the semispinalis capitis, which is no where near as fun as a dark beer (the sp capitis, btw, looks very distinguishable on cadaver #13 if I say so myself ;))

lemme know if you need a buddy to drink a beer with some nights...now it's time to head to the lib for the next 6-7 hours!

Hey, I still think I need to grow up...tell me:laugh:...and way to tell him president said;)

And what is with the recent online cat fights...first in lecture...like literally..emailing back and forth during lecture...and now on SDN class thread...lol

Thanks for the support, Killa, but trust me, I'm not the type to be picking fights w/ anyone. At the same time, however, it really bothers me when people say ignorant and judgmental things (without basis).
by the way, it's not official yet, so I would really appreciate it if you guys would remember to vote for me again on Tuesday. I promise not to START any cat fights online or elsewhere:laugh:

Now I'm heading to library as well for a good dose of anatomy!

OUCH! Well, excuse for being human. I did not realize I had to turn off my emotions in order to be in med school. I guess, the Behavioral Med was accurate in telling us that empathy decreases as SOME people progress through school. Additionally, who do you think you are telling to grow up while you know NOTHING about who I am???????

Lastly, in case you didn't realize this, it should be YOU're in med school NOT "your in med school."

It should be "excuse ME for being human", not "excuse for being human" sorry, but I had comment on the irony of a grammatical error made while correcting a grammatical error. Seriously though, In my opinion, the saddest stuff is yet to come. When you see these elderly cadavers, just remember they had long and hopefully happy lives. It is the young people whose lives are cut short that really make you stop and ponder. Seeing a 5 yr old drowning victim will affect anyone. When something really has a powerful effect on you, use it as motivation to drive you back to the books so you will be able to save a life when the time comes. Its important that we all get exposed to tragedy, it makes you appreciate the gift of life.

When you see these elderly cadavers, just remember they had long and hopefully happy lives. It is the young people whose lives are cut short that really make you stop and ponder. Just remember, the better doctor you become, the more of those lives you can save

Trust me the cadavers dont bother me, infact they remind me of skirt steak. mmmm I can just taste the fascia
SkirtSteak.jpg

Dying children on the other hand can get to me if I think about it too much.

It should be "excuse ME for being human", not "excuse for being human" sorry, but I had comment on the irony of a grammatical error made while correcting a grammatical error. Seriously though, In my opinion, the saddest stuff is yet to come. When you see these elderly cadavers, just remember they had long and hopefully happy lives. It is the young people whose lives are cut short that really make you stop and ponder. Seeing a 5 yr old drowning victim will affect anyone. When something really has a powerful effect on you, use it as motivation to drive you back to the books so you will be able to save a life when the time comes. Its important that we all get exposed to tragedy, it makes you appreciate the gift of life.

Okay, bonesawz, I fixed it. The fury of the moment must've made me overlook it when I wrote the initial response, but a little friendly criticism never hurt anyone, so there, it's fixed :)

Maybe a second year can answer this.

How in the world do I study anatomy? The handouts are basically outlines without any real substance. Did you guys read the textbook? Any recommendations on how to study would be appreciated. Also the profs tend to have a lot of slides that they briefly go thru. Are we responsible for this material as well? Man med school is finally here!!!!:eek:

How in the world do I study anatomy? The handouts are basically outlines without any real substance. Did you guys read the textbook? Any recommendations on how to study would be appreciated. Also the profs tend to have a lot of slides that they briefly go thru. Are we responsible for this material as well? Man med school is finally here!!!!:eek:

I emailed Dr. Kahn about this and he said that everything in the handouts, lab manuals, reading, and lecture slides are fair game....but he also said that the emphasis will mostly be on what was covered in the lectures...anatomy is not like most of the other classes, there just isnt really any substance to anything (except maybe the development lectures), its purely memorization...In undergrad I had vertebrae anatomy and we basically did the same thing....memorize every bone...every little groove on the bones and their names, all the muscles, innervations, origins, arteries, veins, nerves, articulations, functions..etc...just know their names, structure, function, origins, and where they are on the body/cadavers...seems simple but it's a ridicolous amount of work...especially with behavorial and biochem..and cant overlook history

Yea, have fun guys and gals. Anatomy is manageable, but was by far my least favorite class 1st year. Also happens to be the class I did the worst in... maybe there's a correlation there? This was the class that made me wonder "Do I want to be in Med School?"

As has already been stated, basically just study everything. I have found that most of what was covered in lecture on the PP was already in the notes, so I used the class handouts for my "main" study source (for lecture tests) and supplemented with Netter's for the Visual learning.

For lab practicals, you should spend a lot of time going over everything- structures from the previous lab, structures from the current one, etc. Make sure you can ID every structure that is listed in the lab guide. The dead book helps when everyone and their mother are in the labs the days before a practical.

P.S. Don't fall behind in anatomy or you'll never catch up. That's something I regret from last year, not taking that class more seriously right away. I don't want this to sound depressing though - if you work hard you'll have no problem!

I felt the same way last year. I was so stressed out because I had absolutely no idea how to study for this class!!!! What I ended up doing was memorizing each handout verbatim ( they are only 2-4 pages each) while identifying each structure listed in the handout on the powerpoint. I did not even touch any of the reading assignments and didn't miss any questions because of it ( I don't think there were any "reading only" questions that I can remember but maybe DJ can correct me) You will be fine once you find your groove.

I felt the same way last year. I was so stressed out because I had absolutely no idea how to study for this class!!!! What I ended up doing was memorizing each handout verbatim ( they are only 2-4 pages each) while identifying each structure listed in the handout on the powerpoint. I did not even touch any of the reading assignments and didn't miss any questions because of it ( I don't think there were any "reading only" questions that I can remember but maybe DJ can correct me) You will be fine once you find your groove.
I think you're right janitor, I don't remember anything asked on tests from the reading assignments from last year.

If you memorize the handouts as janitor suggests, I would say >99% of the stuff you see on the test you will be familiar with-

I think you're right janitor, I don't remember anything asked on tests from the reading assignments from last year.

If you memorize the handouts as janitor suggests, I would say >99% of the stuff you see on the test you will be familiar with-

Right on the nose. I did well in anatomy and I didn't go anywhere for my info except the handouts/powerpoints/lecture notes (the same as the PP). Follow that up with Netters/lots of lab time and a lot of weed....you too can dominate Anatomy. :D:thumbup:

Right on the nose. I did well in anatomy and I didn't go anywhere for my info except the handouts/powerpoints/lecture notes (the same as the PP). Follow that up with Netters/lots of lab time and a lot of weed....you too can dominate Anatomy. :D:thumbup:

:confused: that explains why the anatomy profs are crazy.

Keeping on the anatomy topic, are you guys just remembering locations, origins, insertions, innervations and sporadic blood supplies? Thus far this is all I've been studying; and all that embryology stuff. This may seem like a dumb question but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. All of this could change tomorrow when the brachial plexus in introduced.

Keeping on the anatomy topic, are you guys just remembering locations, origins, insertions, innervations and sporadic blood supplies? Thus far this is all I've been studying; and all that embryology stuff. This may seem like a dumb question but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. All of this could change tomorrow when the brachial plexus in introduced.

Yes it will.............mmmmmmmmwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!! *Evil laugh*
devil-smiley-023.gif

I would also include action of the muscle...pretty important stuff I would say....:scared: I think i'm going to implode after manana's lecture...so who':Ds ur dealer Jbone jk

I would also include action of the muscle...pretty important stuff I would say....:scared: I think i'm going to implode after manana's lecture...so who':Ds ur dealer Jbone jk
Good call, I forgot to mention action.

Hey there. I'm a second year who did a lot of the TAing for Anatomy last year - just like Andrea is doing this year, and just wanted to throw in a little extra advice. RELATIONSHIPS of structures are also huge for many of the profs. This helps you understand the info better as well. It kind of (note completely) takes out the memorizing if you can understand the relationship of structures. I also recommend getting a white-board and drawing out arteries, nerves, and the brachial plexus over and over again. This is nice because you can get a good picture of what is "normal/correct" in your head and then be able to figure out the bodies that don't follow the ideal pattern. Finally, I know this is the last thing that you want to hear, but don't brush off the embryology. Embryo comes up during every section of the course ,and if you have a good understanding of the early development; you won't have to go back and look up what on earth endoderm is every time they talk about it. Just my advice. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sorry for going off topic (from anatomy), but do you guys think that the History of Med test will include something from the reading (Gevitz)...I dont even know if anyone has read it or has the time to, but I have been listening to the lectures and Hoff mentioned it a few times and the syllabus says that the reading can be included on the exam....just getting opinions...no matter what people say, I probably will not even look into the book (just dont have time)

Sorry for going off topic (from anatomy), but do you guys think that the History of Med test will include something from the reading (Gevitz)...I dont even know if anyone has read it or has the time to, but I have been listening to the lectures and Hoff mentioned it a few times and the syllabus says that the reading can be included on the exam....just getting opinions...no matter what people say, I probably will not even look into the book (just dont have time)

bleh....:D

I just had this convo with some people today and they said they were not going to look at it and had been told not to do so by second years. I have been told the same thing as well. Also, are you guys remembering any dates? I thought I remembered Hoff saying dates wouldn't be a part of the exam but I know some people were reviewing dates.

I just had this convo with some people today and they said they were not going to look at it and had been told not to do so by second years. I have been told the same thing as well. Also, are you guys remembering any dates? I thought I remembered Hoff saying dates wouldn't be a part of the exam but I know some people were reviewing dates.

Hey, CTrainSJU. I honestly am not going to concern myself w/ dates. It's prob.more significant if you understand relative time frames than exact dates. IE Ancient civilizations, before greek med., before Roman, beforemedieval medicine before renaissance, etc. I would know, however, that The American School of Osteopathy was founded in 1892. I guess it's personal preference. I honestly think people , relative concepts, & events are more imp. than dates. Just my opinion :luck:

Hey, CTrainSJU. I honestly am not going to concern myself w/ dates. It's prob.more significant if you understand relative time frames than exact dates. IE Ancient civilizations, before greek med., before Roman, beforemedieval medicine before renaissance, etc. I would know, however, that The American School of Osteopathy was founded in 1892. I guess it's personal preference. I honestly think people , relative concepts, & events are more imp. than dates. Just my opinion :luck:

Hey m-sayeed,

I thought it was funny at the white coat ceremony how stupid I felt when they stated your name because I had always thought it was pronounced as "said", like "Tom said so"...and not sayeeed...:laugh:...aint I stupid..lol

Hey m-sayeed,

I thought it was funny at the white coat ceremony how stupid I felt when they stated your name because I had always thought it was pronounced as "said", like "Tom said so"...and not sayeeed...:laugh:...aint I stupid..lol

Don't feel stupid! EVERYONE always gets my first &/or last name wrong. What pissed me off about the white coat ceremony day is right after I crossed the street to leave I got stung by a bee on my middle finger. First bee sting of my life is what I get as a post-ceremony congrats from the world.....:(

Good luck to everyone with the tough week ahead :luck:

Anybody feel that a review on the history test is needed?...I did fine and I am happy with my score :), but from recent tests I just dont trust these scores straight up without looking at the answers to make sure no question was misgraded...anybody feel they got something wrong they thought was right?...I am just asking because if there is a problem with a question, the class in general would usually see it. (like # 19 on BM test) plus the fact that nobody got a hundred could be an indication of a misgraded question...especially since we have had someone get a 100 on every biochem test??

Don't feel stupid! EVERYONE always gets my first &/or last name wrong. What pissed me off about the white coat ceremony day is right after I crossed the street to leave I got stung by a bee on my middle finger. First bee sting of my life is what I get as a post-ceremony congrats from the world.....:(

Good luck to everyone with the tough week ahead :luck:

I'm also used to my name getting fudged-up

I have bilateral retinal hemorrhage and intracranial bleeding but it's not from abusive head trauma, its from hitting my head on the table every time I fall asleep while reading this defecation that they call behavioral med.

Good luck :luck:tomorrow, don't forget to not study because nothing will make sense on the exam anyways.

btw, what exactly is the hymenal opening? I'm probably in trouble for googling that on the school's internet :laugh: