****DMU Class of 2011- Continued....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m-said

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, since we hit thread Number 1001, I thought I'd start a new thread for our awesome class. Happy SDN'ing, everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey, is anyone looking for a roommate? my ex-future roommate is going to go to a different school...

i think i'll still be able to keep the apartment that i am "signed up" for. it's a 2 bedroom apt at the imperial. all utilities except electricity are paid. it is across the street from DMU and is even on its internet network.

hmm...i'm 23 and a non-smoker. pretty laid-back. despise heels. shower in the morning. a two-beer kind of gal. oh, and i like really bad music and movies.

if interested...PLEASE send me a PM or email me at [email protected] (haha, yea, stop laughing at that!)

Hey everyone! I will be arriving in Des Moines tomorrow night! (after a crazy drive from Casper, WY through Nebraska to Des Moines... yikes!) My house is located in East Urbandale (I think). It is right by the VA hospital, whatever neighborhood that is.

As for the new masters programs, I think they are a great addition. As someone with a research background looking to become a professor/attending somewhere, getting a masters in either anatomy or biomedical sciences might not be such a bad thing. I do, however, agree with the MPH statement, as I have personally seen how benefical this degree is to anyone in clinical research. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I just wanted to reintroduce myself back to the world of SDN since I haven't been on here for a good couple months.

Looking forward to August and meeting you all...

I am officially at my last day of work!!

Just like Tootsie's post...anyone want/need a roommate?

Mine got off the waitlist to another school and will be going there instead, so I'm looking for a roommate.

I'm 24/M/nonsmoker.

Big sib/lil sib list is up on the portal and in your DMU e-mail!

NJD - congrats on being unemployed.

Thanks Boner...now I'm officially having a beer before I burn my work uniform at a bonfire later.

Wow, my big sib worked in a research lab with me in undergrad...that can't be random!

Big sib/lil sib list is up on the portal and in your DMU e-mail!

NJD - congrats on being unemployed.

Wow, my big sib worked in a research lab with me in undergrad...that can't be random!

My big sib worked in an adjacent lab in undergrad. They must put some thought into their pairings.

My big sib is from the same city as me in Canada...and he was also my student host when I interviewed last year!

They definitely put some thought into it.

BTW, if any of your "Big Sibs" sucks like mine did, I'll be your big sib anyday folks. Just stick with the bone and I'll lead you to freedom!
School for us "2nd years" have started already and things are great at DMU. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Get your rest and get ready for the ride of your life! And if any of you need help with moving or anything else...let me know. Play nice!
music-smiley-005.gif

BTW, if any of your "Big Sibs" sucks like mine did, I'll be your big sib anyday folks. Just stick with the bone and I'll lead you to freedom!
School for us "2nd years" have started already and things are great at DMU. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Get your rest and get ready for the ride of your life! And if any of you need help with moving or anything else...let me know. Play nice!
music-smiley-005.gif

I think I asked this question before but I don't know where it is now. So, please...help me again. I bring nothing from home except for some clothings and personal stuffs. I need to buy everything in Des Moines. Could you please help pointing me to some stores for cheap furniture and cookwares. I don't need the very good ones...just enough to use for 4 years in Des Moines :) Thank you very much!

I think I asked this question before but I don't know where it is now. So, please...help me again. I bring nothing from home except for some clothings and personal stuffs. I need to buy everything in Des Moines. Could you please help pointing me to some stores for cheap furniture and cookwares. I don't need the very good ones...just enough to use for 4 years in Des Moines :) Thank you very much!

Costco is your friend! There is one next to the Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines. I think the join fee is like $50 but it is well worth it. you will save that in the first 2 trips you make there! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Target would be worth investigating. They had some nice furniture at decent prices last time I went. They also have a nice cookware section.

And if any of you need help with moving or anything else...let me know. Play nice!
music-smiley-005.gif

Where were you Jbone yesterday when I was lugging boxes after boxes up 3 flights of stairs in this darn humid weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to admit this but I caved in to WALMART's low prices. They have EVERYTHING you need. Keep in mind it's not the highest quality furniture/merchandise. But then again it's walmart. Good luck.

Just FYI: The mid-grade gas (89 octane) is CHEAPER than the low-grade gas (87 octane) in DSM!!! So when you're filling up, reach for the mid-grade instead of the low-grade. I got burned the first time I filled up here by intuitively using the low-grade stuff. I don't know why this is, but I won't complain.

Where were you Jbone yesterday when I was lugging boxes after boxes up 3 flights of stairs in this darn humid weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humidity :thumbdown: thunderstorms :thumbup:

I hate to admit this but I caved in to WALMART's low prices. They have EVERYTHING you need. Keep in mind it's not the highest quality furniture/merchandise. But then again it's walmart. Good luck.

I've been hitting up all of the discount stores too. Walmart definitely has the lowest prices, followed by target, followed by costco (although costco's items are of a much higher quality than either of the first two). Depending on what you want to buy, you will typically find a larger selection at walmart (i.e. desks, bookshelves, entertainment centers). If you are looking for more funky furniture, check out Pier 1 or World Market, both on University Ave by the Valley West Mall. (If anyone is looking for a papasan chair - they are on sale at both locations.) Also, don't forget to check out craigslist.com if you want to find some really good deals (although you typically need some kind of way to move the furniture as well).

I told ya'll to PM me and let me know. You know I'd be glad to help you out. But I can't read minds. Sorry.

I got a huge deal at American Mattress in Urbandale, they a had promotion in which queen sized beds were being sold for the price of a twin!....That was about two weeks ago, I am not sure if they are still doing it but it's worth checking out. The gas thing also caught me off guard:laugh: Anyone know where I can get a really cheap couch?...it's the last thing I really need...

Just FYI: The mid-grade gas (89 octane) is CHEAPER than the low-grade gas (87 octane) in DSM!!! So when you're filling up, reach for the mid-grade instead of the low-grade. I got burned the first time I filled up here by intuitively using the low-grade stuff. I don't know why this is, but I won't complain.

That is because it contains up to 10% ethanol (cheaper fuel), Now if only they had 100% ethanol pumps, it would be like a moonshine spout.:idea:

For anyone in town who wants to meet some classmates, a group of us are going to the last Jazz in July event at Historic Valley Junction in West Des Moines. It's at Railroad Pavilion Park, which is at 5th and Railroad Ave in WDM. To get there, take 63rd Street (regular Des Moines) south and turn onto Railroad Ave, which takes you into WDM. The park is just at 5th Street (WDM). I'll be sure to wear some sort of DMU shirt if you want to meet the group. Also, anyone interested in Farmer's Market tomorrow drop me a message. Me and the wife will be heading there for some produce and to scope out what it's all about.

Hey just throwing this out there, if there is anyone with small babies whose wife would like to meet my wife and two babies (and a third due in march) private message me. I'm a 3rd year btw and would gladly give any advice i can

Forgot to mention that tonight's jazz event starts at 8pm for anyone planning on meeting us there. I'll wear the DMU shirt admissions sent in the mail so anyone can find us.

I've been hitting up all of the discount stores too. Walmart definitely has the lowest prices, followed by target, followed by costco (although costco's items are of a much higher quality than either of the first two). Depending on what you want to buy, you will typically find a larger selection at walmart (i.e. desks, bookshelves, entertainment centers). If you are looking for more funky furniture, check out Pier 1 or World Market, both on University Ave by the Valley West Mall. (If anyone is looking for a papasan chair - they are on sale at both locations.) Also, don't forget to check out craigslist.com if you want to find some really good deals (although you typically need some kind of way to move the furniture as well).

thank you all very much for the responses. I'm still on my roadtrip until next week but I will spend all my weekend besides tubing event to shop and shop and shop...til i drop :D

jbone...your backyard is so beautifulllllllllll...i'm at the arches and canyonland....love it so much :love:

Anyone mini-golfing today for pre-orientation?

The wifey and I will be there!

Hi all!

Just thought I let you all know that I just received a call this afternoon from Jamie telling me I've finally been accepted off the waitlist for the class of 2011! Woot! I'm going to be moving from Seattle out to Des Moines soon, and it's kinda scary how quickly I'm going to have to make the move! Is anyone out there looking for a roommate still? I'm a 22 year old female, please PM or post here if you're interested--p.s.--I have a Wii! Any suggestions for good housing near campus that might still have openings? Jamie said I'll receive info on how to sign into the portal and stuff soon, but I don't have all of that yet--probably not until they've received and processed my deposit. Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and say hi! Thanks everyone!

Hi all!

Just thought I let you all know that I just received a call this afternoon from Jamie telling me I've finally been accepted off the waitlist for the class of 2011! Woot! I'm going to be moving from Seattle out to Des Moines soon, and it's kinda scary how quickly I'm going to have to make the move! Is anyone out there looking for a roommate still? I'm a 22 year old female, please PM or post here if you're interested--p.s.--I have a Wii! Any suggestions for good housing near campus that might still have openings? Jamie said I'll receive info on how to sign into the portal and stuff soon, but I don't have all of that yet--probably not until they've received and processed my deposit. Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and say hi! Thanks everyone!

Congrats starymagic...welcome to DMU. Good luck with the big move. We'll be here with open arms.:)

Hey starry,

Congrats on getting off the waitlist, you might want to contact the person from the post below. This was pretty recent, so she might still be looking for a roomate.

hey, is anyone looking for a roommate? my ex-future roommate is going to go to a different school...

i think i'll still be able to keep the apartment that i am "signed up" for. it's a 2 bedroom apt at the imperial. all utilities except electricity are paid. it is across the street from DMU and is even on its internet network.

hmm...i'm 23 and a non-smoker. pretty laid-back. despise heels. shower in the morning. a two-beer kind of gal. oh, and i like really bad music and movies.

if interested...PLEASE send me a PM or email me at [email protected] (haha, yea, stop laughing at that!)

Hi all!

I have a Wii!

Congrats! I, and a couple of other classmates, also have a Wii. Good to see there will be a formidable group of Wii-***** to hang out with.

Pre-O event tonight was fun. Saw a couple SDNers on the putting greens. The post-event at Wellmans' was a blast. Good to see we can all sit around and have a few pitchers. I think the bowling alley for tomorrow has a bar, so it'll be like tonight's events combined.

Congrats! I, and a couple of other classmates, also have a Wii. Good to see there will be a formidable group of Wii-***** to hang out with.

Pre-O event tonight was fun. Saw a couple SDNers on the putting greens. The post-event at Wellmans' was a blast. Good to see we can all sit around and have a few pitchers. I think the bowling alley for tomorrow has a bar, so it'll be like tonight's events combined.

I'll be there Ladies and Gents to woop some ace on the bowling lanes. Look out for the bone!

Damn...I knew I should have stayed longer..pitchers all around....:mad: Hopefully they will have that bar...pitchers all around again. I don't know if I met you but I was the asian guy with the green hat who lost his ball in the water on the first hole:laugh:

I don't know if I met you but I was the asian guy with the green hat who lost his ball in the water on the first hole:laugh:

We met in the parking lot. My wife and I were part of the small group that got there early. I had on a white button down shirt and jeans. I think everyone lost a ball on that course; it was the hardest mini golf I've ever played, especially considering how crappy the place looked.

Also, Target is having a decent sale on SwissGear backpacks through Saturday should anyone be in need.

Why haven't I been introduced to this thing you call a Wii? It sounds like a lot of fun. Anyhow, can we bring a 6 pack or so bowling or do we have to buy their brew?

Why haven't I been introduced to this thing you call a Wii? It sounds like a lot of fun. Anyhow, can we bring a 6 pack or so bowling or do we have to buy their brew?

Wii?! Why it's Nintendo's latest stroke of genius! Just do an internet search for Wii and you'll see what it's about. We could have you and the wifey over to demonstrate, but we don't get our TV until Sunday.

As for bowling, we could always pregame somewhere, but I don't think we'll be able to take beer inside.

Wii?! Why it's Nintendo's latest stroke of genius! Just do an internet search for Wii and you'll see what it's about. We could have you and the wifey over to demonstrate, but we don't get our TV until Sunday.

As for bowling, we could always pregame somewhere, but I don't think we'll be able to take beer inside.

I have a tv:idea:, we might have just set something up.

Why don't you kids use the huge plasma's at the student lounge?

Why don't you kids use the huge plasma's at the student lounge?

Gamer get-togethers can be wild, and having one where the administration is down the hall, is like smoking crack behind the police department. Besides it wouldn't be professional when I lose to Boner for the 10th time and I use that Wii stick for a prostate check on him.

Also, Target is having a decent sale on SwissGear backpacks through Saturday should anyone be in need.

I heard a rumor DMU has backpacks like the ones you get from REI that they sell at a pretty good discount. Plus, they embroider the school's logo on them. Is this true? Anyone have one or heard of them? Is it better to get one from DMU or a Swissgear one from Target? (I'm not buying another crappy Jansport backpack for med school. I learned my lesson in undergrad having to tote around heavy books with shoulder-cutting straps... yuck.)

I heard a rumor DMU has backpacks like the ones you get from REI that they sell at a pretty good discount. Plus, they embroider the school's logo on them. Is this true? Anyone have one or heard of them? Is it better to get one from DMU or a Swissgear one from Target? (I'm not buying another crappy Jansport backpack for med school. I learned my lesson in undergrad having to tote around heavy books with shoulder-cutting straps... yuck.)

Yes, this is true. However, I bought one at costco.

I saw a student walking around with a DMU embroidered Victorinox backpack when I was at the gym yesterday. Victorinox bags start at around $55.00 retail, without embroidery. I picked up my Swissgear for $45.00 and it is well built and spacious with many compartments. The basic Victorinox bag looks, well, pretty basic. I'm not too familiar with Victorinox, but I can tell you that Swissgear makes high quality bags, and they're a great value when you take price into consideration.
Target also had Jansport backpacks, which, as you mentioned, looked pretty flimsy. As for the Swissgears, I think they only had a few left in the model we got (red ones - we picked up the last two black/grey ones). They's also got a Swissgear model on sale for $35, but it doesn't have a padded laptop compartment. Stop by school and see what they have to offer, but I'd say get to Target quickly if you want to scoop up a nice Swissgear on sale; the back to school section was packed when we went. Also, BestBuy carries Swissgear bags ranging from $50.00 - $90.00 if you really need top of the line or miss out on Target's sale.

Update: Stopped by the bookstore after I went to the gym. The embroidered Victorinox backpacks are $58.00. Looks like you could get something better for the money.

How did everyone enjoy bowling last night? Any takers for volleyball today?

Bowling was a blast, and that drink special was awesome. And I'll be there for Vball

Bowling was fun. Guess who was in my group?? The one and only Jbone. I know ..weird and he wasn't kidding with kicking everyone's butt. Not going to make it to Vball but hopefully the picnic this Sunday

On a side note...Just wanted to know if anybody would be interested in going paintballing before school starts, probably the friday after orientation. I saw a place online called Action Jack's Paintball and we need a min of 8 players for a weekday.
And anybody still interested for a get together Aug 6th, probably Hessen Haus? I've talked to a few over at facebook and they're game for it too.

PS.
Jbone you should go paintballing...since you're a big target:laugh:

And anybody still interested for a get together Aug 6th, probably Hessen Haus? I've talked to a few over at facebook and they're game for it too.

I'm down. Let me know what time and the wife and I will be there.

My roommate and I have just moved into our apt at 3000 Grand The pool is going to be sweeeet:D. We are planning on going to Vball tonight so we will see everyone there.

Anybody else going tubing out there?? It is going to be a great

Welcome DO'11s! You'll love DMU. I'm a third year who's still in town for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to put a plug in for DMU Classifieds if you haven't checked them out yet. Perfect place to find furniture, books, roomates, etc. I'm selling stuff on there that I need to get rid of before I go out on rotations so check it out.