****DMU Class of 2011- Continued....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all! Sounds like I've been missing out on some sweet pre-orientation/pre-gaming stuff around des MOINes. It's been a bit crazy up here in Minneapolis with the seemingly 25% more traffic on EVERY major road due to that bridge collapse, but I do hope to get down to DMU today!!! weeeeeeeeeeee

or..do I mean wiiiiiiiiiiiiii?
I'll be moving into the 3000, #208!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! Sounds like I've been missing out on some sweet pre-orientation/pre-gaming stuff around des MOINes. It's been a bit crazy up here in Minneapolis with the seemingly 25% more traffic on EVERY major road due to that bridge collapse, but I do hope to get down to DMU today!!! weeeeeeeeeeee

or..do I mean wiiiiiiiiiiiiii?
I'll be moving into the 3000, #208!

Good luck with the drive! Are you going to make it for Karaoke/beers tonight? As for Wii, my TV arrives on Sunday, so we'll have to play and drink a couple brews.

Welcome all new DMUers! Enjoy your first week next week... it's great, everyobody loves you and comes to talk to you.. you get all your goodies... and then the real work starts. But you'll love it, this is what you've been wanting for so long.

Congratulations!

I'm a third year and I have no regrets. Don't hesitate to ask your upperclassmen for advice--you'll be interacting with them so much they'll feel like family soon. Don't underestimate the resource you have in the bookstore ladies. Be kind to them for they are your friends. Rest up really well... get yourself settled in and all your loose ends tied. You won't have time for it once you start!

Most of all, enjoy yourself and welcome!!

:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello DMU class of 2011!!

I am also an incoming DO student looking for a roommate. If anyone is interested please contact me at 847-962-1386 or my email [email protected]. I am soo looking forward to move this sunday to Des Moines.

I am a male, 22 years old, like to keep my place clean, dont drink or smoke, and most of all I am very friendly and helpful.

Peace

i've got a 10ft projection screen in my place @ 3000 grand...i probably won't have it set up til monday when i get back to dsm, but i would love to do some tennis on it. let me know what you guys think and we can hit it up.

yes, we might have to have a private post orientation social w/ plenty of fermented beverages.

typing this from my wii as wii is my only internet until we get our laktops. how is everyone liking their new homes? i'm at the 3000, let me know if anyone wants to chill with some drinks at the pool or wii it up!

i'm at the 3000, let me know if anyone wants to chill with some drinks at the pool or wii it up!

I moved into 3000 grand apt 514 a couple days ago and I am loving it. The pool is great!! Used it a few times already. Drop me a line when you guys are hangin by the pool or having drinks. Im Matt and the number is 970-581-0638.
Im ready to enjoy the last few days of freedom before school starts

Anyone going to the picnic at Gray's today? I'll be there w/ my gf

Ahhhhhh....
everyone looks so cute today for your first day of school! Welcome everyone...it's great to see you all. Now the hell begins and I can now FINALLY feel like a 2nd year and be happy. If any of you have questions about books etc, drop me a line. Let the swirlies begin!:smuggrin:

Wanted to see who wanted to go paintballing this weekend, probably Saturday bc we have to grab our comps on Friday.

If I can get a good number of people, I can make a reservation for Saturday which will cost everyone $30. If not, we can do a walk on which will cost everyone $35 but rentals are limited with walk-ons. PM if you want to go.

I am up for paintball on Saturday. If it goes down, what time do you think we would go???

I am up for paintball on Saturday. If it goes down, what time do you think we would go???

I haven't seen much interest but i'm still game to go out. Action Jack's opens at 10am so I would prefer to go then since it's suppose to be in the 90's on Saturday. If we do end up going, we can all meet at DMU and then just carpool from there.

Boner, you and the wifey still want to go?

Boner, you and the wifey still want to go?

We're both doing the OFL and then going to try to hit the farmer's market to stock up for the week. We'll have to get together another time because I do enjoy paintball. Last time I played I got nailed in the back of the head :thumbup:

Oh yeah, T-minus 25 mins until we get our new computers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone ready for tomorrow?! I think I've got a pretty good handle on the tablet PC; I'm posting this entire message using handwriting recognition. It's pretty sweet once you get a handle or it. See you all bright and early for biochem :thumbup:

Everyone ready for tomorrow?! I think I've got a pretty good handle on the tablet PC; I'm posting this entire message using handwriting recognition. It's pretty sweet once you get a handle or it. See you all bright and early for biochem :thumbup:

Wow... I Just wrote this post with the pen as well... I cant believe the program actually can read my handwriting:laugh:

See you all bright and early for biochem :thumbup:

Just some random advice..... Condensing your notes for each biochem lecture to 1 page is very effective... I don't know if I could have possibly studied for the final by looking at 670 pages of biochem notes but I was definitely able to look at the 60ish pages that I had. It may or may not help you guys. Just my $.02

now.... back to pharm for me....

Just some random advice..... Condensing your notes for each biochem lecture to 1 page is very effective... I don't know if I could have possibly studied for the final by looking at 670 pages of biochem notes but I was definitely able to look at the 60ish pages that I had. It may or may not help you guys. Just my $.02

now.... back to pharm for me....

How about using the study guides/objectives for each lecture to prepare for exams, including the final. I'm keeping up with the objectives/study guides by writing the answers out and sticking them at the end of each lecture. Good strategy to use them as study tools for exams and the final?

How about using the study guides/objectives for each lecture to prepare for exams, including the final. I'm keeping up with the objectives/study guides by writing the answers out and sticking them at the end of each lecture. Good strategy to use them as study tools for exams and the final?

Actually I never looked at the objectives for each lecture so I couldn't tell you how good they were to study off of. I do know quite a few people who only did the objectives and did just fine. It's a fairly well organized class and teachers are outstanding.

Behavioral Med = :confused:

LOL!!
It begins.

haha

my avg grade for 1st year was 93

my behavioral med grade 70.8

lets just say that no matter how hard you study, if you dont think like means and monsma, you = screwed

Congrats to everyone for making it through the first week. Has anyone quit yet?? :p Oh wait...maybe I should ask that Wednesday evening

Congrats to everyone for making it through the first week. Has anyone quit yet?? :p Oh wait...maybe I should ask that Wednesday evening

Thanks for the vote of confidence NJ....I really needed that.....:eek:

On another note, has anyone bought or is planning on buying the OMM books. I don't really want to buy books bc there's so many handouts and references that I don't think i'll even get a chance to read books.

Bring on ANATOMY!!!!:laugh:

Thanks for the vote of confidence NJ....I really needed that.....:eek:

On another note, has anyone bought or is planning on buying the OMM books. I don't really want to buy books bc there's so many handouts and references that I don't think i'll even get a chance to read books.

Bring on ANATOMY!!!!:laugh:

DO NOT BUY THESE BOOKS!!!

(IMHO...you will have more than enough info needed, but it is a new chair so it may be different. But I still wouldn't buy them)

Anyone nauseous from biochem yet? My head hurts so much right now....:hungover:

Anyone nauseous from biochem yet? My head hurts so much right now....:hungover:
I'm with you, I think I'm done; nothing more is going in my head. Now if I could just figure out Behavioral Med......

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck tomorrow! The worst part of the first test is just getting past your nerves and actually going through with it. If you've been keeping up with the class you won't have any problems.

Make sure to celebrate afterwards too.:smuggrin:

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck tomorrow! The worst part of the first test is just getting past your nerves and actually going through with it. If you've been keeping up with the class you won't have any problems.

Make sure to celebrate afterwards too.:smuggrin:

Thanks, djnels. It's over!!!!!!!!!! Wasnt as bad as I expected...now Behav. Med is another story. Got to admit, though, Monsma is definitely full of drama!!!!

When are they gonna post these grades?!?!

When are they gonna post these grades?!?!

This isn't set in stone but, the general rule of thumb is: between 3 and 4 pm grades will be posted. If they aren't posted by 5 then expect them between 8 and 9 am the next day. It usually takes till the next day when we have an exam on the same day as you.

This isn't set in stone but, the general rule of thumb is: between 3 and 4 pm grades will be posted. If they aren't posted by 5 then expect them between 8 and 9 am the next day. It usually takes till the next day when we have an exam on the same day as you.
I get it. Did you guys have a test today?

Or the fact that a number of people in our class didn't sign their tests, input the right test ID number, put "part A" or "part B", DO/DPM, etc... ;)

Gotta love it.

I just wanted to throw it out there that I am going to be selling my OMM table & would love to sell it to one of you so you could save some $$$. It has the carrying bag & a headrest.

I haven't decided how much I am going sell it for yet, but if anyone is interested...PM me. Thanks.

Hey can I ask you guys how you're studying for behavioral med? I'm totally lost on how to approach this. I never thought I'd see the day where preparing for a biochem exam is 100X easier than preparing for a psychology exam.

Hey can I ask you guys how you're studying for behavioral med? I'm totally lost on how to approach this. I never thought I'd see the day where preparing for a biochem exam is 100X easier than preparing for a psychology exam.

You're not alone CTrain. I have no idea what is going on in that class as I read the lecture handouts. I didn't buy the book and I don't think it would help much either. I'm just hoping to pass the class with a 70 so I can move on to anatomy. Why oh why are we taking this class. The only useful part is the dr-pt relationship. The rest is purely psycho 101

You're not alone CTrain. I have no idea what is going on in that class as I read the lecture handouts. I didn't buy the book and I don't think it would help much either. I'm just hoping to pass the class with a 70 so I can move on to anatomy. Why oh why are we taking this class. The only useful part is the dr-pt relationship. The rest is purely psycho 101
I'm with you man. I think I'm done with Beh Med for today; bring on the carbohydrates.

When I start studying (which I havent) behavioral Med, I will most likely go through the lecture handouts, and memorize everything in there...next I will then use what I memorize and be able to apply them to examples...like memoring what the transtheoritical model is...and then understanding how they can applied to real world applications...i think going back and listening to the lecture mp3's will also help. Unlike Anatomy and Biochem, where straight memorization of the content will usually suffice (like the study guides), I think you will have to anticipate how they will ask the questions and what the applications are for the different theories. I think reading the book will help in this as well because it sorta puts everything into context...i dont know, this is my approach right now and when i start looking over the material will see...

Now this Behavioral SPAL thing is completely different...

When I start studying (which I havent) behavioral Med, I will most likely go through the lecture handouts, and memorize everything in there...next I will then use what I memorize and be able to apply them to examples...like memoring what the transtheoritical model is...and then understanding how they can applied to real world applications...i think going back and listening to the lecture mp3's will also help. Unlike Anatomy and Biochem, where straight memorization of the content will usually suffice (like the study guides), I think you will have to anticipate how they will ask the questions and what the applications are for the different theories. I think reading the book will help in this as well because it sorta puts everything into context...i dont know, this is my approach right now and when i start looking over the material will see...

Now this Behavioral SPAL thing is completely different...
Keep in mind anatomy starts on Wednesday. I don't know how realistic remembering all the lecture notes is.

Don't forget that we're also supposed to get example questions this week in class. Monsma's also supposed to go over them with us so we know what to expect. Hopefully those questions will clue us in on how to apporach the exam.

Keep in mind anatomy starts on Wednesday. I don't know how realistic remembering all the lecture notes is.

True (although I am sure a few in our class will, even some who probably have already), if I had better time management skills I should at least be done with half those lectures, but will see...I dont think the time crunch will be too bad if you buckle down this week...ie, taking less time off that I normally would. Unlike Biochem where you need to really go through the material maybe 2 or 3 times, looking at BM I dont think it will require that much time. I guess it really depends on the person...some people need more time, and some others dont...I think for now I am ok...will see what happens on wednesday..lol. I think the true test for us is about to begin, with Anatomy, Biochem, Beh Med...etc all starting up...good luck everybody...lol

And if there are any second years out there reading, any advice for the BM SPAL...

I'll keep it short

:barf:Behavior Med+pissed+

And if there are any second years out there reading, any advice for the BM SPAL...[/QUOTE]

If I remember I think it was just a pass/fail SPAL. They basically told us that if you show up and at least try then you pass. It is nothing to stress about (although I'm sure I probably did). Good Luck!!!

If I remember I think it was just a pass/fail SPAL. They basically told us that if you show up and at least try then you pass. It is nothing to stress about (although I'm sure I probably did). Good Luck!!!

Yes, it was pass/fail for us last year. Basically, if you show up w/ a pulse and don't tell the patient to f-off, you'll pass. Definitely nothing to stress over.

About the BM test: everyone struggles with that class. Just do your best to pass the test and move on. If I remember correctly, the 2nd test is much easier - so even if you barely pass the 1st (like I did with a 72 last year) you'll still be ok (I finished with an 85 I think)

Also, they gave about 6 questions back after the test review last year, so your first score will probably not be the only one. Just make sure to go and voice any complaints you have about unfair answer choices or questions worded incorrectly and they'll probably give it to you.

You'll be ok, if the 2010's could make it through BM then you will too! good luck

True (although I am sure a few in our class will, even some who probably have already), if I had better time management skills I should at least be done with half those lectures, but will see...I dont think the time crunch will be too bad if you buckle down this week...ie, taking less time off that I normally would. Unlike Biochem where you need to really go through the material maybe 2 or 3 times, looking at BM I dont think it will require that much time. I guess it really depends on the person...some people need more time, and some others dont...I think for now I am ok...will see what happens on wednesday..lol. I think the true test for us is about to begin, with Anatomy, Biochem, Beh Med...etc all starting up...good luck everybody...lol

And if there are any second years out there reading, any advice for the BM SPAL...

I'm a third year but I'll give some input.
No way to prepare for that spal, just show up.
Some possible scenarios just to give you an idea of an ethical situation (not ACTUAL spal scenarios)

-A 20 year old girl faking hypothyroid symptoms or claiming to be a diabetic to get to thyroxine/insulin (to surrepticiously lose weight)

-A mom brings her child in repeatedly but the child has no obvious illness.

-A newly diagnosed HIV+ patient asks you to not report his disease so as he can get approved for insurance.

Hope this helps

I guess evenflowcarter didn't get the memo (or blatant pre-SPAL instructions) that you weren't supposed to discuss SPAL cases w/ anyone who hasn't yet taken them.

That post really ruins the entire learning opportunity from that SPAL :thumbdown:.

I guess evenflowcarter didn't get the memo (or blatant pre-SPAL instructions) that you weren't supposed to discuss SPAL cases w/ anyone who hasn't yet taken them.

That post really ruins the entire learning opportunity from that SPAL :thumbdown:.

He/She said that the examples were not actually from SPALs...and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought were not allowed to discuss the SPAL's because other students (ie. the next day), would not get some advantage...I dont know if this rule would apply to those ahead of our class because they probably would get completely different cases and actors that play the patients..etc. Maybe I should reread that email.