****DMU Class of 2011- Continued....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that an old political ad from Mike Huckabee....:laugh:

Now that is funny!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ya'll, I am from class 2012 and will be in town in mid January to look at some apartments. I have very limited amount of time, so will take the short cut by asking the previous class where NOT to rent. (Of course, I would like to hear a must-see if anyone has one in mind.) Thanks a lot.

Is anybody else feeling behind already? For anyone who read O'Connell's handouts, is it pretty much the same info as in her .ppts? Some second year input on how to study for Phys and Micro would be great. Seems to me like the material in the handouts are exactly what is given in .ppts, especially for O'Connell and Gray.

For UNTW: seems like 3000 Grand is the tried and true residence for DMU students. I don't know where NOT to live, but places in West Des Moines are going to be newer than places around school. Polo Club near Jordan Creek is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW- I think it's been at least 2 mos. since i've been on here!
AND Yes, definitely behind already- Funny how we can be behind when we only started on Monday.:eek:

Hey Ya'll, I am from class 2012 and will be in town in mid January to look at some apartments. I have very limited amount of time, so will take the short cut by asking the previous class where NOT to rent. (Of course, I would like to hear a must-see if anyone has one in mind.) Thanks a lot.

Since I live there, I would have to stick up for the 3000 Grand. It's a bit pricey FOR Des Moines (amazing if your coming from pricey large cities, ie. chicago/LA/New York), but definitely worth the money. I pay about 800 a month (that I split with someone else), for a two bedroom, two bathroom, kitchen, living room, a little living area next to the living room, a balcony overlooking Des Moines. Along with that you get a workout place, a little study area, billiards room, putting green, a single indoor golf range (nothing special), of course a pool and I also got a carport (good against the snow). I came from Chicago where I paid 1200 a month for a crappy little apartment 3 floors up, with no elevators:eek:...3000 Grand was a definite improvement.

Plus, its pretty much right next to the school. For an 8 o clock class, I can get up at 7:30, eat breakfast, take a shower, and still make it (barely) on time. (This was a huge plus for me:thumbup:)

Well, in general, some of the areas on the East side of Des Moines and the Drake University area are not the greatest so just be cautious w/ those.

While looking, don't forget about Urbandale & Johnston (I personally prefer those two over West Des Moines). Good luck!

Well, in general, some of the areas on the East side of Des Moines and the Drake University area are not the greatest so just be cautious w/ those.

While looking, don't forget about Urbandale & Johnston (I personally prefer those two over West Des Moines). Good luck!

If you are looking for some nice houses, however, don't feel scared to look north of Drake. (That's where I live! :))There are some nicer neighborhoods up there that are about 10-15 minutes from school. (On the border between Urbandale and Des Moines.) Like m-said, I wouldn't recommend the area directly surrounding Drake, but north or south is just fine.

hooray for eve of first 2nd sem. exam.

only 25 to go until summer! hooray

Good luck, and if you can't remember the answer, always write-in Trichomonas vaginalis

Dear Dr. Akbar,

WTF?

Love,
Boner

Dear Dr. Akbar,

WTF?

Love,
Boner

:laugh:
I second that! I think I heard like half our class say that, Boner. You know, I think this is the first time you've taken a test near me and not finished in like 30 minutes.Let's hope they get our grades up sometime soon.

I'm not sure how many of you guys use the lecture MP3s but, if you do, have you noticed that micro lectures 47 and 49 on the MP3 are just duplicates of lecture 47? Anyone know who I could contact about getting this fixed? Admittedly I went home after the test today to study instead of going to class but I would like to listen to this lecture (the hand out is 23 pages long!).

I second that! I think I heard like half our class say that, Boner. You know, I think this is the first time you've taken a test near me and not finished in like 30 minutes.Let's hope they get our grades up sometime soon.

I third that!

Is this micro you guys are talking about?

For those first years/prospective students who are a little nervous about rotations...seemed to work out just fine for most. We received this yesterday:

"All 163 students that participated in the lottery matced to either their 1st or 2nd choice site.
144 students matched their 1st choice
19 students matched their 2nd choice
No one matched lower than their 2nd choice."

This is for the Des Moines/Iowa/Michigan lottery. Good luck!

Hey guys, after researching, I know this is the most common question ever, but I wanted to ask the different class threads if they could go over the positives and negatives of the 5 apartment complexes that seem to be right next to campus. I'll put in what seems to be the verdict from my research--please add any of your thoughts--and pictures if you have them!

1) 3000 Grand- Positives: Next to campus, quality rooms, good amenities.
Negatives: Price.

2) Imperial- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet (is this as much of a positive as it seems? Do people who use the campus' internet in their apt's have many problems?). Cost-efficient.
Negatives: Smelly hallways? Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace.

3) Grand Prix- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet, dishwasher in apt.
Negative: Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace. But people in 2002 were telling people to avoid this apt complex at all costs--is there still a reason?

4) Grand Colony-- Positives: Close to campus. Good price. Seem more stylish than Grand prix or Imperial but less than 3G or Windsor Terrace (confirm?).
Negatives: No dishwasher on site (I'll explain in a second). Don't think it gets DMU's internet. Add others?

5) Windsor Terrace: -Positives: Hardwood floors and style for less money than 3G. Close to campus.
-Negatives: No DMU's internet. No dishwasher.

--The dishwasher thing is a personal quirk--I lived without one my last year of college and it proved to be enough of a pain that I vowed if I ever went to med school I'd live in an apartment that did have one.

If you can convince me that one of these other choices is super sweet, though, I'm open to changing my mind (especially because if it were a 1br I'd only be dealing with my dishes instead of mine and a roommates)..