****DMU Class of 2011- Continued....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did better on the practical than the written, that's whack

The same for me too. Which was completely opposite from what I expected. It is nice to know how we did.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe a second year can answer this or anyone who's heard thru the grapevine. What are the chances of getting points back on the anatomy written and/or practical? I doubt we can for the practical but possibly the written. Ugh:confused:

maybe a second year can answer this or anyone who's heard thru the grapevine. What are the chances of getting points back on the anatomy written and/or practical? I doubt we can for the practical but possibly the written. Ugh:confused:

Out of the 4 or 5 exams we took...they gave back maybe one total. I wouldn't count on it. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that there's probably 0% chance of getting any practical questions back.

For the written, they will most likely have a review session, but as jbone said, they don't commonly give points back for those questions either!

I'm wondering if anyone in our class or even if any second years could shed some light on this for me. How is it that our Cell & Tissue bio class starts monday, Oct. 15th and we have an exam on tues, Oct. 16th? Is this a typo?

I'm wondering if anyone in our class or even if any second years could shed some light on this for me. How is it that our Cell & Tissue bio class starts monday, Oct. 15th and we have an exam on tues, Oct. 16th? Is this a typo?

We start cell bio (histo) on Oct 15 & our first exam is on Nov 1st. IF you're looking at the printed out schedule we got at orientation, it says something about "tissue prep & micro examination" that's actually the topic of that class period, as far as I know. Hope this helps :)

We start cell bio (histo) on Oct 15 & our first exam is on Nov 1st. IF you're looking at the printed out schedule we got at orientation, it says something about "tissue prep & micro examination" that's actually the topic of that class period, as far as I know. Hope this helps :)
That's really confusing then. I freaked out a little bit when I looked at my Outlook calendar and saw EXAM: ..... for the second day of class.

This is exciting...yet another day spent living in the library wondering how much of this biochem I will retain for tomorrow.

Actually, studying all day is much better than classes...

This is exciting...yet another day spent living in the library wondering how much of this biochem I will retain for tomorrow.

Actually, studying all day is much better than classes...

Dont forget some of us have Anatomy today & will not be lucky enough to spend the ENTIRE day in the library :(

Ahhh there is a payoff to that for you guys. You don't have to take a tough test and then spend your lovely free friday afternoon in lab

Yay!! Only one more new material biochem exam! We are on the home stretch:thumbup:

Hey guys! Biochem grades are up!! It's so good to rebound after that dreaded anatomy experience last week :)

If you guys check your portal, we got back a few questions from the practical and the written...whoohoo!!! And you second years with all your wisdom said it couldn't be done. haha. j/k

Members don't see this ad :)
So how are you guys studying for the guest lecturers we had for biochem? The young doc said he would talk to Notepool about points of emphasis but we don't have Notepool for biochem and even if we did not everyone would have access to it. How are you guys approaching this?

So how are you guys studying for the guest lecturers we had for biochem? The young doc said he would talk to Notepool about points of emphasis but we don't have Notepool for biochem and even if we did not everyone would have access to it. How are you guys approaching this?

To me it seemed like the lecture went over similar diseases that we covered with Schmidt (Down, Patau, Cri-du-Chat..etc), so I am looking at those most importantly, but overall I am treating the lecture like the one about Gout and Renal Failure....there arent going to be a lot of questions from the lecture and the ones that do make it on the test would probably be more general, then specific. I am not sure if anything the older doc said would be on the test at all because it seemed a lot more clinical (ie, how to treat and approach each case), as oppose to being about the molecular biology behind it. Anyway, I wouldnt worry too much about the lecture, I think it was meant to be more informative than actual test material. (but still look over the slides or at least listen to the mp3).

Anyway, I wouldnt worry too much about the lecture, I think it was meant to be more informative than actual test material. (but still look over the slides or at least listen to the mp3).

Wy.....you're such a wise person.:) Now, get off SDN and start studying.

Wy.....you're such a wise person.:) Now, get off SDN and start studying.

Haha...thanks for the advice...I got an outer ear infection (aka, swimmers ear) and the last two days have completely sucked...specially trying to study while at the same time your ear feels like its going to explode:scared:...I am trying to catch up now...still have two days left...hopefully it will be enough...:thumbup:

I feel like all of my brain cells are methylated and silenced

I feel like all of my brain cells are methylated and silenced

well then, NjD, we'll have to get you some aza-cytidine ASAP to reverse the silencing! At least you got some studying out the way yesterday before being hypermethylated :)

& UIC KIlla, I hope your ear infection gets better soon. I had an inner ear infection the week of the anatomy exam & it was HORRIBLE to say the least.:(

good luck on the exam guys & hopefully it'll be a good one for all of us :luck:

Anyone else not at all thrilled about this cumulative biochem final? I think it's kind of ridiculous. We just finished taking a biochem no more than 4 1/2 hours ago and now I'm right back to studying the sigmoidal curve of hemoglobin and Vmax and all that other goodness from August. Not that I'm supporting cumulative tests of any manner but I would be able to understand a little more if it were in a class like anatomy.

Anyone else not at all thrilled about this cumulative biochem final? I think it's kind of ridiculous. We just finished taking a biochem no more than 4 1/2 hours ago and now I'm right back to studying the sigmoidal curve of hemoglobin and Vmax and all that other goodness from August. Not that I'm supporting cumulative tests of any manner but I would be able to understand a little more if it were in a class like anatomy.

Really? I'd MUCH rather have a cumulative final in biochem than in anatomy!!!! W/ biochem it's more about finding linkages & possible alterations as opposed to anatomy- which relies way more heavily on memorization so there's way more little detail to memorize for anatomy... just my opinion :)

Really? I'd MUCH rather have a cumulative final in biochem than in anatomy!!!! W/ biochem it's more about finding linkages & possible alterations as opposed to anatomy- which relies way more heavily on memorization so there's way more little detail to memorize for anatomy... just my opinion :)
When I went back and read my post I don't think I made my point very clear. I just am not excited at all about a cumulative final in biochem. I could understand more in anatomy b/c, in my opinion, I think anatomy is more applicable to our practice of medicine. That being said, I think you're right, a cumulative anatomy final would be hellish and, in some states, probably illegal.

hey all you ear-infectees, did you know that lots of earphone usage has been correlated with higher rates of ear infections? I don't even know if you two use earphones a lot, but hey, I'll throw that out there

hey all you ear-infectees, did you know that lots of earphone usage has been correlated with higher rates of ear infections? I don't even know if you two use earphones a lot, but hey, I'll throw that out there

Good observation, ND. Funny I've been getting into the habit of skipping classes lately & so I've been using my headphones quite frequently....unfortunately (nothing better than dr. Khan's jokes to compliment any lecture).
By the way, who knew Hist of Med was pass/fail????

Anyways, time to start biochem :) since tomorrow's a busy day w/ lab & classes & we have to do the REQUIRED diversity training tomorrow :thumbdown:

Good observation, ND. Funny I've been getting into the habit of skipping classes lately & so I've been using my headphones quite frequently....unfortunately (nothing better than dr. Khan's jokes to compliment any lecture).
By the way, who knew Hist of Med was pass/fail????

Anyways, time to start biochem :) since tomorrow's a busy day w/ lab & classes & we have to do the REQUIRED diversity training tomorrow :thumbdown:

History of Med was pass/fail??...I didn't know that...

Anyone else starting to hit that middle of the semester wall...it's pretty much everytime I try to sit and study, it's like my brain is somewhere else...:laugh:..all that early semester motivation is starting to fade, while it's still quite a bit more lectures till semester break to be motivated by that either. I guess I just gotta take it one test at a time.

*And now, a return to the regularly scheduled program...Biochemistry*:sleep:

Anyone else starting to hit that middle of the semester wall...it's pretty much everytime I try to sit and study, it's like my brain is somewhere else...:laugh:..all that early semester motivation is starting to fade, while it's still quite a bit more lectures till semester break to be motivated by that either. I guess I just gotta take it one test at a time.

Yeah it sucks, but theres good news. We're 10 academic weeks through the semester and only 8.5 weeks to go.

Yeah it sucks, but theres good news. We're 10 academic weeks through the semester and only 8.5 weeks to go.

That is the best news I have heard all week! We are over the hump :thumbup:

:D:D:D:D

oh trust me, I had a nervous breakdown 2 nights ago. I just broke down and had my moment of self pity and feeling of guilt over A) not studying as much as I know I need to B) Not being home enough and C) not sleeping enough. I just felt like a bad student and a bad mom... but luckily we've gone quite far and we've only got till Dec and we get a nice break!- and all this effort is definitely worth it :luck:

WOOOHOOOOO Nucleotide Synthesis keep it coming!!! This biochem test is going to be Grrreeeaaaatttt (as Tony the Tiger would say).

We all thought Hist. of Med. was a graded class because it WAS. the pass/fail must have been an error; the grades are now up on portal.

does anyone know a mnemonic for the maxillary artery branches?

does anyone know a mnemonic for the maxillary artery branches?

I was so bored i decided to come up with one- it's not the best, but here it goes:

DAM, All Informed Men Do Protection Immediately During Sex

D-deep auricular
A- anterior tympanic
M- middle meningeal
A- accessory meningeal
I-inferior alveolar
M- masseteric
D- deep temporal (2)
P-pterygoid
B-buccal
P-posterior superior alveolar
I-infraorbital
D- descending palatine
S-sphenopalatine
Hope it helps, NjD :)

I was so bored i decided to come up with one- it's not the best, but here it goes:

DAM, All Informed Men Do Protection Immediately During Sex

D-deep auricular
A- anterior tympanic
M- middle meningeal
A- accessory meningeal
I-inferior alveolar
M- masseteric
D- deep temporal (2)
P-pterygoid
B-buccal
P-posterior superior alveolar
I-infraorbital
D- descending palatine
S-sphenopalatine
Hope it helps, NjD :)

Haha...

Mine is 3 part:

Distric Attorney Missing in Action (DA M.I.A)
MD Palpates Butts
PIDS...was enough to remember...

Personally I like the second one...also the accesory meningeal may branch off of the middle meningeal as Kahn had it in the powerpoint, although netters has the accessory branching off directly from the Maxillary.

Dont forget: Some Angry Lady Found Out PMS...for the external carotid branches....

Grades are up....Just think, 21 more days until the next one! :eek:

That OMM quiz was BS...i'm getting very frustrated with this department

Does anyone believe that Wooley really didn't know there was a quiz?

Does anyone believe that Wooley really didn't know there was a quiz?

All I am going to say is that i got two instant messages right after the quiz saying they studied the wrong lecture...

I'm frustrated with the MATERIAL as opposed to the dept.- it seems that it keeps getting more frustrating to understand it & keep up with it PLUS I think I have a lumbar spine dysfunction as a result of today's lab :( my lower back is killing me right now!

I'm frustrated with the MATERIAL as opposed to the dept.- it seems that it keeps getting more frustrating to understand it & keep up with it PLUS I think I have a lumbar spine dysfunction as a result of today's lab :( my lower back is killing me right now!

I'm just hoping I understand it better in lab. That lecture was totally confusing... you could tell Dr. Fig was having an off day. (Anyone want to help me kidnap a 2nd year to teach us what we need to know?)

Such a quiet SDN class DMU 2011 is :oops:

No posts in forever.

End of first semester blues? (er, or lack of time to post on SDN?)

Such a quiet SDN class DMU 2011 is :oops:

No posts in forever.

End of first semester blues? (er, or lack of time to post on SDN?)

I don't blame them. If memory serves me right, this is the time of first year where they start throwing tests at you. If I had to give me one piece of advice back then it would have been:

MAKE SURE YOU STUDY RADIOLOGY NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!

I don't blame them. If memory serves me right, this is the time of first year where they start throwing tests at you. If I had to give me one piece of advice back then it would have been:

MAKE SURE YOU STUDY RADIOLOGY NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!

Radiology got integrated into Anatomy this year, which hasn't been too bad. That aside, we do have OMM practicals this week, Ethics on Weds., Cell on Fri., Immuno next Wednesday, and Anatomy next Fri. :thumbup:

What the Crap is up with the random addition of video modules for Cell Bio?! In case anyone didn't notice we now have a lovely neoplasia module to work on.

So, in looking over material for Ethics, I'm wondering what exactly we were taught that relates to ethics. We got a lecture on procedures to enact a DNR or living will, a lecture on how to treat end of life patients with terminal sedation or voluntary-stop-eating-and-drinking(which, by the way, the articles are exactly what the lecturer presented), a professionalism list of quotes, an intro on ethics, and some material on types of justice. Seems like the latter two topics are the only things that actually relate to ethics, and the reading summaries did a better job of explaining them. :mad:

Hang in there everyone. First semester is almost over for ya. Take your anatomy leg and twist and bend it every way possible, and memorize it. Trust me, it is crazy. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Happy New Year everybody!!

(maybe our class thread can come back from the dead...:laugh:)

Happy New Year everybody!!

(maybe our class thread can come back from the dead...:laugh:)

revival.jpg