##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey '10ers -

just a little something to help you remember that all this board prep on top of class prep isn't for nothing.

http://www.dmu.edu/com/residencies/MatchSpecialty2008.cfm
Solid! Thanks for the link-

Before the test this morning, I felt like Peter in the club:

http://www.truveo.com/Family-Guy-Peter-Dancing-80s-Axel-F-S06E18-Fu/id/4196373099

And afterwards I felt like this:

http://pandadan.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/idiot-41423.jpg

http://poststuff2.entensity.net/040408/image.php?pic=fail.jpg

hey '10ers -

just a little something to help you remember that all this board prep on top of class prep isn't for nothing.

http://www.dmu.edu/com/residencies/MatchSpecialty2008.cfm

Boards? What are those? I'm too busy trying to figure out what happened to my virginity after this mornings neuro exam. This is the first time I've said this but I HOPE I PASS. What a crock of s%&#! :bullcrap::boom:

Now that it is finally over, maybe we can FINALLY start looking at some boards and not tear down DMU's reputation by failing them. :scared:

dj, I need some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boards? What are those? I'm too busy trying to figure out what happened to my virginity after this mornings neuro exam. This is the first time I've said this but I HOPE I PASS. What a crock of s%&#! :bullcrap::boom:

Now that it is finally over, maybe we can FINALLY start looking at some boards and not tear down DMU's reputation by failing them. :scared:

dj, I need some love.

Man, you make me look forward to second year. We need to get some H3 going on. There's 4 new maps to be played on!!!

Very close...I'm guessing we should get quite a few points back, especially considering that about 1/6 of the class likely failed.

Very close...I'm guessing we should get quite a few points back, especially considering that about 1/6 of the class likely failed.

If you take the standard deviation..yeah...its pretty damn low.

Does anyone know if they gave out a special Ovaltine decoder ring so we can understand what the hell "some" of the lectures are about (you know what I mean)? A bag of chronic? LSD?

Does anyone know if they gave out a special Ovaltine decoder ring so we can understand what the hell "some" of the lectures are about (you know what I mean)? A bag of chronic? LSD?
ya, no kidding.

"Dear Psychiatry, I don't understand a thing you're blabbing about. I hate you.

GFY,
dj"

"Increased mesolimbic dopaminergic activity mediated by reciprocal prefrontal dopaminergic hypoactivity."

Wow...I finally understand!!!:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
"Increased mesolimbic dopaminergic activity mediated by reciprocal prefrontal dopaminergic hypoactivity."

Wow...I finally understand!!!:idea:
I think I'm starting to appreciate the beauty of that wise old saying:

"70 = DO"

I hear Starbucks is holding open interviews this weekend, in case I can't attain that wonderful number above... :eek:

There is no way to express my love for Psychology...I'll just leave it at that.

Oh and the ethics spal I have tomorrow as well. :thumbup:

LIVIN THE DREAM BABY!!! YEAH!!!

There is no way to express my love for Psychology...I'll just leave it at that.

Oh and the ethics spal I have tomorrow as well. :thumbup:

LIVIN THE DREAM BABY!!! YEAH!!!

You know what sucks? When you study from notepools and end up getting the 1st question wrong on today's test because one of the notetakers put the WRONG piece of information in a noteset *ahem lecture 28 ahem*

Guess I'm just upset because I try really hard to make notesets accurate when I do them...

Psych is officially my worst grade in school so far. Darn, there goes my aspirations to be the next great psychiatrist! At least I'm a course evaluator +pissed+

You know what sucks? When you study from notepools and end up getting the 1st question wrong on today's test because one of the notetakers put the WRONG piece of information in a noteset *ahem lecture 28 ahem*

Guess I'm just upset because I try really hard to make notesets accurate when I do them...

Psych is officially my worst grade in school so far. Darn, there goes my aspirations to be the next great psychiatrist! At least I'm a course evaluator +pissed+

There are also certain notetakers who if they submitted the below picture in place of their noteset, I would not be surprised. Honestly, do we need 6 pages of jokes or comments about various classmates? The worst part: these people get paid the same amount as I do and most likely take 20 minutes to do it.

aliens_drawalien_et.jpg

For real? DAMN. Nice one ace!:mad:

I'm guessing by everybody's posts that psych is nothing short of BH in terms of quality of teaching/material. Does anybody beyond the course coordinators actually read course evals?!
Also, WTF is an ethics SPAL :scared:

Have people looked at their schedule for next week? Welcome to hell. I wonder how many are going to fail the BSS final especially if scheduled on Wednesday.

I'll be first in line for the re-take. WHO'S WITH ME!?

Thank God I decided to take an elective with a project due next week. Clearly I didn't have enough going on already...

MEMO to all 1st years reading this: There will come a time during your 2nd year where you just decide you don't care anymore; the sponge that is your brain will be too oversaturated and will hardly hold any more information. For some, this happens early in the year. Luckily (or unluckily) it happened to me last week. I'm at the point now where I am completely disinterested in how well I do in any of my remaining classes, so long as I pass. For real. :lol: :banana: :lol:

"Game over man, it's game over!"

Have people looked at their schedule for next week? Welcome to hell. I wonder how many are going to fail the BSS final especially if scheduled on Wednesday.

Yeah, that email in regards to the BSS final provoked a giant WTF from me?? I'm pretty sure I won't be passing that thing until after Boards.

Fact: giving me a graded final on various surgical procedures and different admit orders during the last hellacious week of 2nd year will result in me cramming so that I just get by. I will retain next to nothing of this.

Why would they not just make this thing a mandatory 2 days of labs (not graded), where we're able to brush up on some of these skills before 3rd year begins.

ENT Parade= M O N E Y :bow::banana:

Does anyone know about Derm Parade? Waste of time or also money? I could you a little Cha Ching right about now.

ENT Parade= M O N E Y :bow::banana:

Does anyone know about Derm Parade? Waste of time or also money? I could you a little Cha Ching right about now.
Not sure, I'll have to check...

How about that ENT softball they lobbed to us this morning!? Felt good to finally get an easier test. And only 42 questions? I thought I'd died and gone to cheap hooker heaven!

For any of you that missed putting in your rotation requests on time because you don't check the Clinical Clerkships page on a daily basis I got official word that the next submission will be 6/12 and this time they WILL send an email.

Can someone tell me how they are going to study for the 600 lectures in OMM? I was thinking the OMM board review they gave to us plus the 13 or so lectures they gave us (short leg/hospitalized pt etc). What do you think? Does anyone have a good review? Can any third or fourth years chime in?

BTW dj...pwnage tomorrow (Sat). AND we need an official COUNTDOWN untill we be up out this biotch!

Can someone tell me how they are going to study for the 600 lectures in OMM? I was thinking the OMM board review they gave to us plus the 13 or so lectures they gave us (short leg/hospitalized pt etc). What do you think? Does anyone have a good review? Can any third or fourth years chime in?

BTW dj...pwnage tomorrow (Sat). AND we need an official COUNTDOWN untill we be up out this biotch!

That's about as much studying as I want to put into this exam as well. Any 3rd years out there with some advice?? Are we tested over the billing/coding lecture?

Inbetween studying for OMM, I took a break to re-read through the instructions for the BSS final, and I just had to quickly vent on what complete BS that is. I'm completely blown away as to why we took an exam way back when to begin with, when we have to do the exact same thing all over again now??!! Garbage. Pure garbage.

Inbetween studying for OMM, I took a break to re-read through the instructions for the BSS final, and I just had to quickly vent on what complete BS that is. I'm completely blown away as to why we took an exam way back when to begin with, when we have to do the exact same thing all over again now??!! Garbage. Pure garbage.

No multiple choice though if that is a sunny side.

The real garbage part was that we were told this with only about a week before we have to take the exam. Oh and not to mention a few days before a mandatory "training" session. Don't get me started on that class.

YOU SHALL RAPE ME NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:clap::banana::banana:

well, at least not until my fourth year:(

Ok, most of the pwnage is almost over....that being the case, what is everyone doing for ICC? Parade? Lectures? Nothing?

I've already turned in the door key...this man has officially checked out.

Ok, most of the pwnage is almost over....that being the case, what is everyone doing for ICC? Parade? Lectures? Nothing?

I've already turned in the door key...this man has officially checked out.

Jbone or someone who has checked it out, how is the parade?

If I remember correctly, OMM had a review or 2 on the shared drive and I used that for the OMM part of the boards and for my final exam. DMU basically hammers the OMM stuff into your brain over the 2 years so I only skimmed over it a couple of days before I took the board.

Ethics SPAL made me freak out but you really don't need to. It's mostly a situation in which you have to figure out what to do and what to say. there wasn't a right or wrong answer to how you handle the situation, as long as you don't flip out on the patient, or cuss, or hit someone. haha j/k You will be graded on that you went in there, handled the situation and now you have experience with it. Just go in there as a professional and you'll be fine. I've actually been in several situations like the ones we had for our ethics spal since 3rd year started and it's really not that hard.

Studying for boards: I studied in between regular exams while school was still going on. I usually went over what we were going to go over in Kaplan. But I didn't try to cover all the material, just a little. Then I took off 1 whole month before I took the exam and studied from 8am until midnight every day. I took several breaks throughout the day and left one evening a week to myself, no books. I made a schedule and stuck to it.

For the last weeks of 2nd year hell, where there's only one test per class and it feels like everything is weighing on your shoulders, yah, I have no advice but to keep up with the material, use Class du jour on Parade to study with and most importantly go to class. I skipped a lot during the first semester but at the end of 2nd year I found if I went to class and studied the highlights while in class I felt like I actually remembered stuff better when I looked back over it later. It's hard, you'll make it through, don't give up.

Just remember, there's a light at the end of this tunnel, it may be pinpoint right now but it'll get brighter! Your 3rd year will have it's ups and downs too. I've had rotations where I worked like a mule, and there's rotations where you can take a nap at noon b/c you're already home for the day. You guys can do it! :luck:

Hey everyone, I am doing the NP for ICC Optho and I am requesting help from anyone else that was at lecture and took notes. As you may be aware, there is no MP3 (this year or last), NP from last year, word document or Power Point to go off. I could really use the help guys. At this point its not about getting paid but about getting the information out there to everyone. I asked the professor for help but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime, I would just like to get as many sources of help I can.

Hey everyone, I am doing the NP for ICC Optho and I am requesting help from anyone else that was at lecture and took notes. As you may be aware, there is no MP3 (this year or last), NP from last year, word document or Power Point to go off. I could really use the help guys. At this point its not about getting paid but about getting the information out there to everyone. I asked the professor for help but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime, I would just like to get as many sources of help I can.

I was at the class, and he pretty much told us nothing. It was interesting in the sense that he brought in 4 actual pts to present as cases, but he really gave no indication as to what his questions would be over. There was very little actual "lecture" material given. I know that doesn't help you much, but that's the best I've got for ya.

I was at the class, and he pretty much told us nothing. It was interesting in the sense that he brought in 4 actual pts to present as cases, but he really gave no indication as to what his questions would be over. There was very little actual "lecture" material given. I know that doesn't help you much, but that's the best I've got for ya.

Hey man, thanks, that's what I got out of it. I was also apparently not paying attention when he gave out the hand outs...so now I have to get a copy. When will this year just die?

If I remember correctly, OMM had a review or 2 on the shared drive and I used that for the OMM part of the boards and for my final exam. DMU basically hammers the OMM stuff into your brain over the 2 years so I only skimmed over it a couple of days before I took the board.

Ethics SPAL made me freak out but you really don't need to. It's mostly a situation in which you have to figure out what to do and what to say. there wasn't a right or wrong answer to how you handle the situation, as long as you don't flip out on the patient, or cuss, or hit someone. haha j/k You will be graded on that you went in there, handled the situation and now you have experience with it. Just go in there as a professional and you'll be fine. I've actually been in several situations like the ones we had for our ethics spal since 3rd year started and it's really not that hard.

Studying for boards: I studied in between regular exams while school was still going on. I usually went over what we were going to go over in Kaplan. But I didn't try to cover all the material, just a little. Then I took off 1 whole month before I took the exam and studied from 8am until midnight every day. I took several breaks throughout the day and left one evening a week to myself, no books. I made a schedule and stuck to it.

For the last weeks of 2nd year hell, where there's only one test per class and it feels like everything is weighing on your shoulders, yah, I have no advice but to keep up with the material, use Class du jour on Parade to study with and most importantly go to class. I skipped a lot during the first semester but at the end of 2nd year I found if I went to class and studied the highlights while in class I felt like I actually remembered stuff better when I looked back over it later. It's hard, you'll make it through, don't give up.

Just remember, there's a light at the end of this tunnel, it may be pinpoint right now but it'll get brighter! Your 3rd year will have it's ups and downs too. I've had rotations where I worked like a mule, and there's rotations where you can take a nap at noon b/c you're already home for the day. You guys can do it! :luck:

So did you feel that with a month of studying before the boards you were prepared enough? Did you dominate? Thanks for the advice. Good luck with fourth year!

So did you feel that with a month of studying before the boards you were prepared enough? Did you dominate? Thanks for the advice. Good luck with fourth year!

I would've liked to have studied more, and I even thought about pushing my test date back so I could. But by the end of the month I was so sick and tired of looking at the material I was glad and very anxious to get the test over with. I tried looking for my schedule last night b/c I was thinking I may have actually studied for 6 weeks straight, not just 4. But I also had been studying here and there since the March before so you have to add that into the equation.

You have to set aside enough time that you think you will feel prepared with. My schedule worked for me. I got an above average score and that's all that I wanted. I'm not going into a super competitive field so I wasn't looking at trying to get a super high score, just one that I was satisfied with.

At this point I would try to make a schedule and strictly adhere to it. And don't move your test date around either, you'll just get more sick of the material and it will start eating away at your life.

I'm a third year and have some advice for you guys studying for boards...just relax. I studied hard (eight hour days, which is a lot for me) and felt I was prepared and I was surprised on the day of the exam how easy some of the questions were. My strategy was to go to the Kaplan lectures, review the Kaplan books, memorize the Goljan mp3's, and do tons of practice questions. I used the usmle123 website and I did all of the 2,000 or so questions and felt they correlated well with the exams, both the Comlex and USMLE. Make sure you take the questions seriously, timed, in 50 questions sets just like the real exam. For those taking the USMLE, take one of the four NBME practice exam sets that you can purchase online. The predicted score from the NBME exam was within 5 points of my USMLE score. Good luck!

Ok, I'm using parade for ICC (along with notepool) but can't find a thing to actually learn or memorize. Anyone else having the same problem? Second, Ethics...using parade for Law lectures and Notepool for the others....and third...ACLS....memorize the flowcharts? Or read over the book? What do ya'll think?

ARE WE THERE YET???????????????????? I literally check out last week. Kill me.

Ok, I'm using parade for ICC (along with notepool) but can't find a thing to actually learn or memorize. Anyone else having the same problem? Second, Ethics...using parade for Law lectures and Notepool for the others....and third...ACLS....memorize the flowcharts? Or read over the book? What do ya'll think?

ARE WE THERE YET???????????????????? I literally check out last week. Kill me.

That is what I am doing but I might read over the ACLS book the morning before the exam (we have like 4 hours after the Ethics exam until we take the ACLS exam).

I have totally checked out. I just don't care anymore.

I have totally checked out. I just don't care anymore.

Thirded.

Is the pre-ACLS exam that we had to take before the actual lab anything like the final exam? If so, I might just re-take that thing once, then read through the book and flow charts.

Ethics on Parade - does anyone know if it gets the job done?

I used the parade while listening to the law lectures and they seemed right on the money. That is all I'm using (for law) and NP for the rest.

I used the parade while listening to the law lectures and they seemed right on the money. That is all I'm using (for law) and NP for the rest.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I likely won't listen to the law lectures before the exam now and just use the parade for that portion of ethics.

"Health Care Ethics Consultation"=WTF???????????????????????? :confused::sleep:

Wow...puff puff give.

Quit Posing Hypothetical Situations That Are 5-10 Years In The Future!!!