##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C'mon 84!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

C'mon 84!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I missed a few dumb ones and was confident that I'd get an email.

Nothing yet! Hopefully I can just focus on boards from here on out.

School's out! See you all in the library tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone live in ingersoll towers or 31st street apts...i just got back from iowa and trying to decide which of the 2 complexes i wanna live in cuz those were my favorites...any advice would be appreciated

All I can say is that this rotation selection is complete BULL#$%@^:bullcrap::diebanana:

Submit at 7:00.38/7:01/7:03/7:04 and go 0/4=PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can quote me.

People going to michigan, Wyoming, other places=smartest people in the class. I never knew Des Moines area included pretty much the entire northern, southern, western and eastern part of the United States. Complete crap. Anyway, back to the boards.

BTW, post you board stories on here to help those who haven't taken it yet. Good...Bad? What they focused on? How drunk you are going to get after? Or how you can't wait to move to Egypt to do a Family practice rotation for a month.

Last edited:
All I can say is that this rotation selection is complete BULL#$%@^:bullcrap::diebanana:

Submit at 7:00.38/7:01/7:03/7:04 and go 0/4=PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can quote me.

People going to michigan, Wyoming, other places=smartest people in the class. I never knew Des Moines area included pretty much the entire northern, southern, western and eastern part of the United States. Complete crap. Anyway, back to the boards.

BTW, post you board stories on here to help those who haven't taken it yet. Good...Bad? What they focused on? How drunk you are going to get after? Or how you can't wait to move to Egypt to do a Family practice rotation for a month.

FOR REAL? Are you pretty pissed about the rotations that you got? (Not even in your top 4 choices). This is really different than the impression the school gave me about their rotations. What sites did you want and how does that compare to those you actually got?

FOR REAL? Are you pretty pissed about the rotations that you got? (Not even in your top 4 choices). This is really different than the impression the school gave me about their rotations. What sites did you want and how does that compare to those you actually got?

We go through a selection process every few months or so for our third year rotation sites (NOT IF YOU STAY IN DES MOINES AREA OR NOT...THAT IS DONE ALREADY AND MOST OF US GOT OUR #1 CHOICE). So of the 4 I wanted I didn't get any of them. Of course I was exagerating a little but YES it is a reality we all have to face while in this "transition" period. That being said, I probably will still remain in Des Moines for all 4 locations like the rest of the year, but at a different site. Just wanted to vent a little and avoid doing what I should be doing...studying for my boards. It's all good. Don't worry too much about it, just enjoy your summer because you are about to get PWNED come first semester.

I know I'm not a DMU'er, but I just wanted to pop in here and make sure y'all weren't flooded out.

How are y'all doin' out there in the new Lake of Iowa?

I know I'm not a DMU'er, but I just wanted to pop in here and make sure y'all weren't flooded out.

How are y'all doin' out there in the new Lake of Iowa?

I was hoping the testing centers would flood so we could push back our boards without paying the big bucks. But that won't happen. Too bad I'm back home in Utah, so I can't use that excuse anymore. :mad:

**come on earthquake!!**

I kid.

So what up DMU??? Any new board experiences they want to share???? Man, I'm 10 days out and ready to die. Misparas....I know you were today. Where u @?

Stay dry

So what up DMU??? Any new board experiences they want to share???? Man, I'm 10 days out and ready to die. Misparas....I know you were today. Where u @?

Stay dry
Check out my COMLEX experience in the Step I forums...

I survived but the question is, for how long?

P.S. Now that I'm done it's straight HALO until the wedding at the end of July. You in?

im starting dmu in august and really wanna knwo what the 1st year schedules gonna be like. I heard mostly 8-12 and labs 1 or 2 a week. Is this right? cuz it sounds like a lot of time off. also do people go to class much? are most of the lectures online?

Members don't see this ad :)
im starting dmu in august and really wanna knwo what the 1st year schedules gonna be like. I heard mostly 8-12 and labs 1 or 2 a week. Is this right? cuz it sounds like a lot of time off. also do people go to class much? are most of the lectures online?
Lectures are 8-12, 1 hour for lunch, and labs in the afternoon.

Anatomy labs meet 2, and rarely 3, times a week. OMM is usually 1 lecture and 1 lab per week, both in the afternoons too. I remember 1st semester afternoons were busier with anatomy, that class sucks up a lot of time. 2nd semester you'll have more free time in the afternoons...

It seems like a lot of free time on the outside looking in but it picks up quickly- they start you out slow though.

Misparas....I know you were today. Where u @?

Stay dry

Oh yeah... I'm around. I'm just packing today.

I went into a vegetative state in front of call of duty 4 for the weekend.

I had the exact same test as DJ. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Hopefully they don't curve it weird and flunk me or something.

How are the mountains these days?

Oh yeah... I'm around. I'm just packing today.

I went into a vegetative state in front of call of duty 4 for the weekend.

I had the exact same test as DJ. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Hopefully they don't curve it weird and flunk me or something.

How are the mountains these days?

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! Man, I love the mountains. Haven't seen much of them, just the library walls and some obese chick that keeps "speed walking" up and down the book rows for exercise. Seriously lady, wtf? :mad: I said 'MOUNTAINS' not 'mounds and rolling hills'! Sorry, prep for these boards are killing me...I actually feel myself getting dumber everyday....no scratch that every hour. A few days out......ready to die.

me=horse and smiley face dude with bat=USMLE/COMLEX :beat: or me=bannana....you get the picture. :diebanana:

Stop if you heard the story:

On June 30th, after the lunch break, a certain individual from our class came back and sat down at the computer to resume his test. The problem? He sat down at the WRONG computer. He had to retake the test two weeks later as did the person whose computer he sat down at. I know who the "certain individual was" but...does anyone know who the other person was (the person who got owned)?? Just curious.

anyone get their scores back yet?

USMLE - 252/99

Still waiting on COMLEX. I heard that the scores have been released on the website for those who took the exam on/before June 14th. Apparently they don't send an email when they go up; so you just have to keep on checking (like waiting for a exam score during second semester - haha). I took COMLEX on the 20th - hopefully the scores for that time frame will be released soon.

Good luck to everyone else.

Stop if you heard the story:

On June 30th, after the lunch break, a certain individual from our class came back and sat down at the computer to resume his test. The problem? He sat down at the WRONG computer. He had to retake the test two weeks later as did the person whose computer he sat down at. I know who the "certain individual was" but...does anyone know who the other person was (the person who got owned)?? Just curious.

Holy Crap!!

I don't think my circle of willis would survive that one. I would be so pissed. Any hints as to who it was?

I'm hoping that the June 20th scores are released today. I'm sick of waiting around.

I know most of you guys are starting your rotations soon but I have quick Q about PD II. How useful is the required text "Problem solving in clinical medicine." it's not expensive compared to Mosby but I don't feel inclined to buy if it's just going to sit on the shelf.

On a similar note to above, what/how do you study for Preventive Med/Nutrition? Seems like a softball of a course, but I've heard some negative stories about the tests.

I know most of you guys are starting your rotations soon but I have quick Q about PD II. How useful is the required text "Problem solving in clinical medicine." it's not expensive compared to Mosby but I don't feel inclined to buy if it's just going to sit on the shelf.

I know the opinions vary but I found the book was only minimally helpful in answering the computer questions they give you at the end of every SPAL. Minimally because many of the questions are just, well, crappy.

I know the opinions vary but I found the book was only minimally helpful in answering the computer questions they give you at the end of every SPAL. Minimally because many of the questions are just, well, crappy.

Agreed, but I'd still recommend getting the book. The cases actually are interesting and worth the read. As far as the questions go, you're pretty much screwed either way. But don't sweat it...it's PD, and there are more than enough points.

Anyone else curious to see what our class average for the comlex will be? Any guesses out there? I think last year's class was like 508 or 518 (it's somewhere on SDN).

Agreed, but I'd still recommend getting the book. The cases actually are interesting and worth the read. As far as the questions go, you're pretty much screwed either way. But don't sweat it...it's PD, and there are more than enough points.

Anyone else curious to see what our class average for the comlex will be? Any guesses out there? I think last year's class was like 508 or 518 (it's somewhere on SDN).

I think our school has generally done above the mean. I know one student that got over a 700 though this year so, we might be higher this year

I think our school has generally done above the mean. I know one student that got over a 700 though this year so, we might be higher this year

last year avg was 520 according to mueller

last year avg was 520 according to mueller

Didn't we average over a 550 the year before that? Having constantly performed at the average of this class (or below...blah) I have faith that this will be the best board score average ever for DMU. My buddy scored a 711 (gotta be one of the best in the COUNTRY) which is freaking sweet and I can see many others scoring at other high levels.

The 08ers were around a 509 which was supposedly 3rd in the nation. Doesn't really make sense if the national average is 500.

Which school was first in the nation? Just curious.

Any tips for Nutrition and Preventive Med?

Any tips for Nutrition and Preventive Med?
Know specific details about stuff:

-what are specific dietary recommendations, amount of calories in 1 g of carb/fat/EtOH/protein, why can't u change someone with a borderline cholesterol profile immediately to a low fat/high carb diet, etc.

The class seems straightforward but the test questions will surprise you with their difficulty & ridiculousness. It's a good start to your 2nd year I guess :eek:

Last edited:
What up everyone...hope your rotations are going well. Question: can anyone tell me about these post-rotational exams? Are they graded or is it just P/F with the cut-off at 60%? How to study for them? Level of difficulty? Anyone.........

btw, surgery kicks @$$

The class seems straightforward but the test questions will surprise you with their difficulty & ridiculousness. It's a good start to your 2nd year I guess :eek:

Right on the money with this :mad:

yo yo yo anyone still in Des Moines want to fix my Inlet/Cervs/Thoracics/Ribs!? Should be some quick and easy HVLA (no poppin' pubes or spreadin' tubes here). Let me know and I'd be glad to return the favor...

So.....1 month down. Hope everything is going well for everyone.

What is everyone using as a guide for step 2? FA again? Crush step 2? Boards and wards? UW? Anyone?

Anyone check out the "new" clinical grading system for "honors" on rotations? Nice that they let everyone know about it instead of just sneakily posting a small little link to the memo on the clinical affairs site. have to get an 85% on the test and get an average of 4.8 on the clinical evaluation. That's esentially a "96%" on the clinical subjective evaluation and you can only get like two 4's. Good luck with that! Hope all is going well for peeps.

And jbone I'm using B&W at the moment but you know me, I can never have enough review books :D

Last edited:
Wow that's super - The 85 isn't impossible on the exam, but an average of 4.8 on the evals will be tough, especially since those things are so damn subjective. By the time I'm good enough to honor any rotations I will have already applied to residencies and nobody will see them anyway-

I'm just using Boards and Wards right now also, in addition to the required readings for certain rotations. I'll probably get COMBANK for a month or 2 before COMLEX II for my questions source.

If anyone still in DSM wants a full body treatment on the weekends just let me know, I need to keep my skills sharp- take care everyone!

Anyone ever find out our class pass rate for step 1 or average?

Anyone ever find out our class pass rate for step 1 or average?

When I talked to Dr. Mueller last year about 2009's scores he said it takes awhile because of people failing, ect.

Anyone figure out when they are going to take step 2? Anyone plan ahead and save money for them?

Congrats ladies and germs, we made it through our first 12 weeks of real patient contact. Only 72 to go! Anyone heard about the class pass rate yet?

sup ya'll.....
when is everyone taking step 2 and the PE???? Can you believe it cost over $1,000 for the PE? DAMN! :bullcrap::beat::diebanana:

In honor of college football rivalry week...

All aboard the HMS Dumpster. True Utah Ute fans in their natural habitat. They will be going down with the ship on Saturday. Hope you're not on it jbone. ;)

[YOUTUBE]VYAIW_NUSaI[/YOUTUBE]

In other news... That $1000 for the PE is garbage!!! Now I have to cancel Christmas.

Last edited:
Do you know what 11-0 looks like? Oh wait, you don't. BYU can SUCK IT! Man I love rivalry weekend. Kittens will get PWNED!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IxzafHPoto[/YOUTUBE]
And lots of this on Saturday...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEIlrf2onM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
You'll know what 11-1 feels like soon enough. Enjoy your time ahead of BYU in the polls.

Just a reminder of the outcome of the game with that hit on Jenkins... Doink.

THE HIT AND THE DOINK (1998)
Ute fans will never forget Kautai Olevao's head-on hit that flattened Ronnie Jenkins early in the game. However, BYU fans will never forget the more significant play at the end when Ryan Kaneshiro's 32-yard field goal attempt doinked off the right upright, preserving a 27-26 BYU victory.

[YOUTUBE]nu697uCgzKI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]mt8Y7FExUBI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
That was the best you could do? damn. Highlights with our third string quarterback getting lit up? Wow. If I remember right, that weak third string quarterback beat bywho when the U was a 20+ point underdog. Must suck to be our little sister.

Happy Turkey Day everyone. Hope rotations are going well for you. Here's a little something that should cheer us up: 18 months until graduation. As Jim Cramer would say: "BOOYAH!"

When is everyone taking their Step 2s and PE exam? Step 2 August 10th and PE November 3rd here. Wanted them both in August but damn did they fill up quick. If anyone is around in Philly during that time and wants to grab a cheesesteak that would be sweeeeeet.

Anyone looking into 4th year rotations yet? I know its like 8 months away but, I really want to get back home for 4th year so kinda in a panic. :(

Last edited: