##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) If you study for much longer than 2 weeks for Step 2, you are freaking crazy. If you did any reading during your third year & have any mind for clinical medicine, you will easily do better than your Step 1 score. There was a lot of OB & Peds on my exam & most people I talked to from my class.

2) The PE is a freaking ridiculous waste of time. I am convinced that they fail random people every year just to make an extra grand from a couple people. I would, however, go out w/ a friend, some extra cash, & a rental car & drive to Atlantic City to do some gambling after the test if I had to do it again.

What would you consider high yield then: OB, PEDS and IM? With the others taking up the rest of the space?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously general medicine is going to be the majority of the test. I thought OB (especially scenarios like painless bleed in third trimester vs. painful one) & Peds were definitely high yield.

Surgery is definitely really low yield :( Cards pharm w/ some EKGs are usually fairly represented.

OMM questions are way better than Step I. I did somehow get really unlucky & got a couple of ridiculous Chapman's points (the post. ones that Wooley said weren't likly to be tested). All I really reviewed for OMM was the stuff on the share drive for the end of year review & it was plenty.

Another example of why I am sick of medical school. Sitting in a study room all spread out getting a good board study in when there is a knock at the door. "herro...herro....I have this room reserved". I'm like "WTF??" walk out and EVERY ROOM BUT 2 IS EMPTY. Oh yeah.....I am sooooo there. 2 weeks to go until board time. Kill me now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another example of why I am sick of medical school. Sitting in a study room all spread out getting a good board study in when there is a knock at the door. "herro...herro....I have this room reserved". I'm like "WTF??" walk out and EVERY ROOM BUT 2 IS EMPTY. Oh yeah.....I am sooooo there. 2 weeks to go until board time. Kill me now.

That's when you answer the door naked from the waist down. They won't want the room any more. Problem solved.

I am with you man, I got the bootleg copies of KAPLAN Step II and have been reading IM for what seems like ****ing forever. Must be working though cuz my COMBANK average keeps going up every day.

Anyone look at the newly minted soon-to-be first years and think..."WTF ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!"

I do. And then I cry.

Anyone look at the newly minted soon-to-be first years and think..."WTF ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!"

I do. And then I cry.

I only cry when I click on the financial aide section of the portal and look at that "totals" column.

I only cry when I click on the financial aide section of the portal and look at that "totals" column.

Isn't that the worst? I hate looking at that godawful total, and seeing how much interest that's going to accrue over time. Very scary, you are possibly looking at the next "bubble" to burst in student loans.

Seeing all the new students here today makes me want to yell out "FRESH FISH!!"

Poor souls....have no idea what is about to happen to them.

t-minus 4 days. Any last words before the bombs start falling?:scared:

Anyone do Posterior Chapman's points as well?

Last edited:
So hypothetically speaking, if you only had 1 day to study between the USMLE and the COMLEX, would you just look over the Woolster's OMM Review packet from Step I?? And maybe some medicolegal stuff (no idea where to find that, but oh well...)?

Hope everyone's doing well.

How do you know you are about to get PWNED?? When you walk into a general surgery rotation, they hand you a pager and it goes off 3 times during orientation. They don't even know my freakin name but they are paging me already! Good times! Sleep? who needs it.

How do you know you are about to get PWNED?? When you walk into a general surgery rotation, they hand you a pager and it goes off 3 times during orientation. They don't even know my freakin name but they are paging me already! Good times! Sleep? who needs it.

That would be sweet. Hey you just got paged to CCU. Don't know where it is yet? Oh yeah, you JUST GOT HERE. hahahaha I got lost in freakin Mercy on a daily basis for the first week and here they are paging you on your first day.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be sweet. Hey you just got paged to CCU. Don't know where it is yet? Oh yeah, you JUST GOT HERE. hahahaha I got lost in freakin Mercy on a daily basis for the first week and here they are paging you on your first day.

Jamers, We were still getting lost on the last day!

Jamers, We were still getting lost on the last day!

Sorry I never called you back, I was/am still getting PWNED as we speak. I haven't seen the sun in a week.

A question for any of the residents that still view this board:

How good are interviews for residency. Yes, I know, sounds like an idiotic question but this isn't like medical school where you had an 80% or more of acceptance after an interview. I have five interviews coming up some of them only offered 40 interviews all last year but they only have 4 spots. What if things change down the line? What if I bomb my PE exam? Do they see all this happening and drop me like a hot potato? Do I have a good shot with five interviews? Do I need 10? Should I just shut the hell up?

*yes, I am in a panic mode. I hate ****ing interviews

JBONE, I don't even recognize your posts anymore with that new avatar.

Anyone fail their step II exam? That would suck. I keep reading about some infamous BC09 though. Oh well.

I think I went nuts.

In attempt to keep this thread alive...What's everyone applying to? Osteo, Allo, Both?

Best of luck to everyon!

EM - Allo only

hey guys,
anyone else disillusioned by audition rotations. my first on in august sucked **** in fact I hated the PD and he hated me back. now im at this other program which has sent me to one of thier off site hospitals which means i dont interact with any other their residents or attendings...wtf? it sucks cause i would have never come to there places had i know this info but i wouldnt have known this stuff unless i rotated through... talk about a catch22.

In attempt to keep this thread alive...What's everyone applying to? Osteo, Allo, Both?

Best of luck to everyon!

EM - Allo only

Good job, you killed the damn thread with your "keep this tread alive" talk. Damn it! :(:p:D

hey guys,
anyone else disillusioned by audition rotations. my first on in august sucked **** in fact I hated the PD and he hated me back. now im at this other program which has sent me to one of thier off site hospitals which means i dont interact with any other their residents or attendings...wtf? it sucks cause i would have never come to there places had i know this info but i wouldnt have known this stuff unless i rotated through... talk about a catch22.

New guy?

Anyways, my first one was actually pretty nice. Got placed in the non-residency hospital, called up the residency director and was able to do all my weekends with him, the residents and no other students.

Good job, you killed the damn thread with your "keep this tread alive" talk. Damn it! :(:p:D

Haha...no kidding. I'm the king of thread killing. But seriously, wtf? Why was that such a horrible thread to start? Oh well. I tried.

The one audition rotation I've done as well was a really positive experience. One more on the way, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
New guy?

Anyways, my first one was actually pretty nice. Got placed in the non-residency hospital, called up the residency director and was able to do all my weekends with him, the residents and no other students.

Yeah thats right, Im the new guy. Funny that I didnt really care for the forum in my first three years of med school and now as I am getting ready to leave I open an account. The forum is very informative and I know some of the BAGUSIS that are on here, Im looking at you JBONE!

Though my audition rotation is not what I had wanted it to be the good thing is that I go to the beach on a daily basis, as it is only 2 minutes from the hospital.:D:D:D

Yeah thats right, Im the new guy. Funny that I didnt really care for the forum in my first three years of med school and now as I am getting ready to leave I open an account. The forum is very informative and I know some of the BAGUSIS that are on here, Im looking at you JBONE!

Though my audition rotation is not what I had wanted it to be the good thing is that I go to the beach on a daily basis, as it is only 2 minutes from the hospital.:D:D:D

The forum has its uses sometimes.

If it makes you feel better I am supposed to be on a sub-I right now and I see about three patients a day.

Did everyone see there is a 2014 class thread now? I feel old. I wanna be done now.

I think I am over this whole "work 80-90 hours a week and don't get paid for it, its fun" gig.

The forum has its uses sometimes.

If it makes you feel better I am supposed to be on a sub-I right now and I see about three patients a day.

Did everyone see there is a 2014 class thread now? I feel old. I wanna be done now.

I think I am over this whole "work 80-90 hours a week and don't get paid for it, its fun" gig.

yeah man I second that! I am done with working hard, especially since I got my CE and PE out of the way, there is absolutely no motivation left in me. I want to stop travelling, busting my ass.

Also is anyone else sick and tired of this chain of command bull****? This whole hierarchy(sp), attending>senior resident>intern>med student, thing is totally is getting on my nerves.

yeah thats right, im the new guy. Funny that i didnt really care for the forum in my first three years of med school and now as i am getting ready to leave i open an account. The forum is very informative and i know some of the bagusis that are on here, im looking at you jbone!

Though my audition rotation is not what i had wanted it to be the good thing is that i go to the beach on a daily basis, as it is only 2 minutes from the hospital.:hungover::hungover::hungover:

westside!

2011er here.

anyone here do any gen surg rotations in detroit? what are your guys impression of the gen surg programs there. has anyone done any MD programs which are dominated by wayne state students. I'm trying to figure out my schedule for my audition rotations for 4th yr.

should i go thru OCA to set up the rotations or just contact the sites directly. I don't want OCA to drop the ball for me with setting up rotations. thanks.

2011er here.

anyone here do any gen surg rotations in detroit? what are your guys impression of the gen surg programs there. has anyone done any MD programs which are dominated by wayne state students. I'm trying to figure out my schedule for my audition rotations for 4th yr.

should i go thru OCA to set up the rotations or just contact the sites directly. I don't want OCA to drop the ball for me with setting up rotations. thanks.

Contact the programs yourself, set them up yourself, then forward the accepted rotation email to your clinical coordinator. The people I know that did that got what they wanted.

<rant>

So, for everyone that has gone on an interview, are you being told anything? Do they give you a hint as to where they would rank you or are all they saying is "we would love to have you here." Then, when you feel all excited and walk out you hear them say the same thing to the next dude that walks into the office? I am just sick of the mystery. I want a piece of paper that says, "Dear Jamers, welcome to your interview for XYZ hospital we are pleasedd to inform you that: " (followed by one of two phrases)

A) You should rank us high on your list as we want you to come here

B) You just wasted your ****ing time. With board scores like that do you really think you would get in??? We just wanted to see if you would show up and then laugh at you because you, frankly, suck at life. Please enjoy your time here today and know that, we really don't like you so don't even rank us, it will just be a waste of even more of your time.

</rant>

<rant>

So, for everyone that has gone on an interview, are you being told anything? Do they give you a hint as to where they would rank you or are all they saying is "we would love to have you here." Then, when you feel all excited and walk out you hear them say the same thing to the next dude that walks into the office? I am just sick of the mystery. I want a piece of paper that says, "Dear Jamers, welcome to your interview for XYZ hospital we are pleasedd to inform you that: " (followed by one of two phrases)

A) You should rank us high on your list as we want you to come here

B) You just wasted your ****ing time. With board scores like that do you really think you would get in??? We just wanted to see if you would show up and then laugh at you because you, frankly, suck at life. Please enjoy your time here today and know that, we really don't like you so don't even rank us, it will just be a waste of even more of your time.

</rant>

I haven't gone on an interview yet, but that's obviously the worst part about this time of the year. It's exciting, but you feel so goddamn vulnerable. They get to read everything about you (all your flaws, all of your shortcomings), and it's easy to think the worst. I know I'll do the same, so I want even try to give much advice other than the usual mantra of - the match is designed in our favor, so rank where YOU want to go, not where you think other programs will rank you.

Hell, every interview invite I get, I can't help but think they're just interviewing me as a "safety", and/or they'll suddenly change their mind on me later down the road...bastards.

So during my step2 exam the damn fire alarm goes off and they have to evacuate the building and wait for the fire department to clear it! It take 45 minutes until we can get back in and take the stupid thing, it completely stole my thunder, but f it I soldiered on....now I get a letter from the AOA and guess what they are concerned guys yeah they actually care about the little guy.... I have the option of retaking the exam or accepting the current score which they will not reveal unless I first accept it... anyways f that exam, im not holing myself up in a room and studying like a slave again.... just thought Id share this bizaar situation...

anyways, regarding interviews, i also feel like im thier safety. Like they would let me go at the drop of a hat if they found a slightly more suitable candidate. but the bottom line is most of us will get into a program and regardless of how competitive it is we will all be doctors and at the point no one will give a **** what residency you attended or whether you were in the top 10% of your class...

so dont sweat it guys we've made it this far, we have no where else to go but up!

good luck on interviews fellas.

So quiet...... Where did everyone go?? **echo**

Anyone as scared as I am about not matching?
Freaking out! :scared:

Ok, back to silence....

You get a contract already?

Maybe:rolleyes: signed a month ago actually!

bonesawz and jbone.... go get your residencies at Harvard you big studs....but.....maybe yall should come up and interview in my neck of the woods!

Maybe:rolleyes: signed a month ago actually!

bonesawz and jbone.... go get your residencies at Harvard you big studs....but.....maybe yall should come up and interview in my neck of the woods!

I told harvard I'm holding out for something better. I would come up to your neck of the woods, but I've become so accustomed to indoor plumbing.

I interview in your next of the woods at the beginning of December janitor. Oh and I'm terrified of not matching, I could use a couple of more interviews for sure to feel a little better. I think I vomit into my mouth a little bit every night thinking about the match.

I interview in your next of the woods at the beginning of December janitor. Oh and I'm terrified of not matching, I could use a couple of more interviews for sure to feel a little better. I think I vomit into my mouth a little bit every night thinking about the match.

You are absolutely golden! I have met quite a few allo grads going for your same specialty at the same locations and they have nothing on you. Seriously, kick back, and enjoy the ride. Make me proud!:cool:

You are absolutely golden! I have met quite a few allo grads going for your same specialty at the same locations and they have nothing on you. Seriously, kick back, and enjoy the ride. Make me proud!:cool:

See you up there in December!

I do. And then I cry.

Class of 2014 Here!!!! Good luck everyone and I agree.... WTF am I thinking!!!!

I am actually going to attend a different medical school but I believe we all feel the same right now!!!!!

Any advice for the PE in Philly next week?

Any advice for the PE in Philly next week?

Um....speak English???

One real piece of advice...when you do OMM that your patients will undoubtedly ask you to do, be sure to lay them down or do some technique where your technique can't be critqued (i.e. rib raising, occipital release). If they can't see your technique on camera, you can't be failed for doing it incorrectly. Then be sure to recheck your findings & tell them how much better they feel & then prescibe any necessary NSAID/muscle relaxer necessary.

But really jbone, I've seen your clinical skills...you should probably start booking your return flight. :smuggrin::laugh:

So.....

Where did everyone Match?? Except, JBone b/c I know where he Matched. Congrats to everyone.

Now the real challenge starts...try to maintain interest while you already know what you are going to do in July.

So.....

Where did everyone Match?? Except, JBone b/c I know where he Matched. Congrats to everyone.

Now the real challenge starts...try to maintain interest while you already know what you are going to do in July.

I will be attending Walmart Manager's program in July 1st, 2010!!!!! soooo excited!!!!!!

EM in NJ is where I will be.

bump for great justice... and to show off my sexy new avatar.

no doubt! We were always on the first page at the top...now look what we have become. People with lives! Love the avatar...just got back from South Africa. Feeling raped.

no doubt! We were always on the first page at the top...now look what we have become. People with lives! Love the avatar...just got back from South Africa. Feeling raped.

You should probably get that looked at, considering it was South Africa...:laugh:

Congratulations guys!! Yes, I have been stalking your thread every so often to see what's going on... I haven't learned much.... But anyway, its nice to read you're all happy with your match results (really referring to the people I've "talked to" on here from day 1). Good luck with the rest - at least you'll be getting paid, instead of paying. Well, sort of. :D