DMU Class of 2007 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All incoming 1st year Dmu students,

Thanx Jane for the info about deleting/editing messages. I heard thru the grapevine that there's an "unofficial" incoming 1st year party set end of July or beginning of August. Anyhow me and two locals at Dsm should be throwing a party sometime soon. Let me know if you are down wit it.

Peace out and party hard,
Humanitarian

Members don't see this ad.

Ok...

Anyway, Lina, when are you coming again? This week, right? Let us know! Can't wait to meet you!

Parties, Parties, Parties.

SOMA, at least I think it is SOMA, will once again throw the "Welcome to DMU at Wellman's" party during orientation week. Lots of fun, free food and drinks.

I will also throw some form of more civilized party at my place in August, which will most likely move to a bar once we are kicked out (lots of old people at 3000 grand).

Any football fans are welcome at my place on Monday evenings especially if you like the "Boys". 49er and Redskin fans will be booed at door and repeatedly every week.

Finally, I think another 2nd year is considering having a house party at the end of August.

Did I mention... :love: ahhhh..... :love: ..... there are just some days when you know exactly what it is like to be Roger Rabbitt when Jessica Rabbitt comes home..... :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jane!!
yup i'm coming this week!!! finally ;)
actually i'm still packing :eek: ... man oh man it's gonna be crazy tomorrow!
i'll be leaving MI on thursday and should be in des moines the same day... anyways, i'd love to meet up with you and maybe grab some lunch! .. if you would like to pm me your number, i'll give you a call when i get into town
can't wait to meet everyone :clap:

later,
L

Lina! That's so exciting...so are you driving down with family? I'm sorry if you've answered this before :) I sent you a PM, by the way :D

Jane

Lina,
good luck finishing up your packing, and have a safe trip to Iowa. I still won't be there to join everyone for another two weeks!:eek: Like I always say we'll have to have a huge get together once all of the late comers get to Iowa. :)
Jenny

Jane,
I forgot to ask, how's your new car?? Have you been cruising around Iowa picking up hot guys in it?
Jenny

Hey guys whats up? I've been getting real lazy about comming out to campus to check my e-mail and stuff. Any way I had a great time at Coney Island Teds.

Lina give me a call once you get into town you have my # right?

Beau, sorry about the ball busting...er...by the way where did you meet your girlfriend?????

Originally posted by jennyw17
Jane,
I forgot to ask, how's your new car?? Have you been cruising around Iowa picking up hot guys in it?
Jenny

I love it!! It's used, but new to me! I can go shopping now! Thank heavens for "daddy's credit card" :D

Picking up hot guys? I'm waiting until you and Lina get in town, then we can really go hunting ;)

hey jane,
are there going to be anymore "get togethers" before school starts on the 28th for us 2nd years? we have a pharm test and omm practical during your orientation week, so it's going to be hectic trying to meet incoming students. :( oh, sometimes i get so frustrated. anywho, sorry i missed out on coney island, i was in minneapolis-i still have to meet rick's infamous teagan! :)

kimberlee:D

Kimberlee!

We can go do something fun next week, so you can meet Lina too :D When are you free?

Jane

I met my girlfriend at a coffee shop actually. She works there part time and I just went up and told her I was going to make her smile by the end of the day (she looked real sad), and the rest is history.

Kim: Glad to have you back. I can't believe how stupid the schedulers are. I am pretty active with orientation so my time is already pressed, then they give us three tests in 5 days all right during the end of orientation week? I swear they never think when they make the schedule. That OMM test should have been put the week after, its just plain dumb to do that.

P.S. - my girl is having a girl's night out tonight, does anyone want to get together and do something. Itching to have fun before RAGBRAI starts.

Wow... Partying already.... I guess that's the best thing at this point, which is to get it out of your system :) Just jokin' you'll have plenty of time to party ;)

Three exams during orientation!!! Wow, they sure are not thinking your schedules out too well.... Then again, I need to remind y'all that your classes are a priority over helping during the orientation.... Besides, if one of them is OMM, then you really only have two exams because y'all should be prepared for OMM.... Right? :D

Anyway, it's still a bit unwise for them to do such a thing.... I hope it all works out.... Otherwise, I've already told Student Services that there are still us "third" years around so we'll be more than happy to help out during orientation.... I've already personally volunteered.... I hope others will.

Later,
JP

Members don't see this ad :)
"Taste of Des Moines" is happening on the Court Ave. bridge Friday and Saturday. It looks pretty cool, and I'll bet the food will be fabulous. Just a reminder! :)

~J

yeah, so red alert--I'm moving into town this saturday. I'm so psyched!

BEAU--Good luck with RAGBRAI. You guys rock, and I'll definitely be joining you next year. I'm not going to be able to hang with you, I'm sure you're in top cycling condition with all the training, but good luck and have fun.

My folks will be staying with me through sunday, I'll be moving into 3000 grand on saturday, probably around noon. are there any 3000 grand residents going to be around? if so, drop by, I'm in 109. Beau, I forget which apartment you're in, but I think you said 3 something. By the way, who are "the boys"? I'm a cleveland browns fan, and I'll eat any pittsburgh steelers fans for lunch.

Jane--I'm going to hold out on buying a car until the weather starts to get nasty--that'll keep me on my bike as long as possible to help me stay in shape. However, I find it difficult to carry home all of my spoils and bounty from shopping without a trunk, so maybe we could go shopping sometime soon? hehehe. I think we're going to be a consumer force to be reckoned with.

Hopefully I'll see you guys at some of the "official" events, i.e. bowling, farmers market, etc. I'll be at those two for sure, but the other ones are undecided.

and most importantly, how's the dmu gym? where do most students work out? aspen was a little pricey for me, but without a decent gym, I get all wound up.

see you all soon. feel free to give me a call at (267) 974-6032, or stop by 109 at 3000 grand any time saturday afternoon. see you all soon!

Raj

Raj,

Hey man! Yeah just let me know when you need to go somewhere. I always enjoy a good drive :) I think Beau's "Boys" are the Dallas Cowboys...and yes...let's not forget that they are indeed BOYS....(I'm a Niner girl ;))

I like the DMU gym. It's got what I need, it's cool, and it's close by. :D

Jane

Hey Guys!!
im in Des Moines!!!! can you believe it... i still can't.. needless to say it's been one hectic weekend... lots of shopping and looking around and exploring and all that other good stuff...

Jane, I could have swore i had your number written down somewhere before i left MI but of course i couldn't find it... thank god for internet!.. i have it now so i'll give you a call tomorrow :D
hmmmm... what was that about hunting ;) .. i think we need to further discuss that !!

hey Prad.. i've got your no. as well... hey man.. thanks a bunch for the info on the furniture store .. it was definetly a life saver... furniture should be coming tomorrow.. and i'm quite excited about it...
ok so here's my situation .. given that i pretty much finished everything as far as setting up here i was thinking about driving back with my dad to mi to stay for a week and then renting a car and driving back next weekend.... don't know??!! :confused: i'm still thinking about it.. but i should know by tomorrow!
hope everyone is doing well and i'll be talking to you very soon
Lina

Hi Lina!

Welcome to town! It's nice if you can spend some more time with your family. It'll be hard after classes start. But, definitely give me a call tomorrow, and maybe we can meet each other before you leave, if you do.

Alrighty, talk to you soon!

Jane

Bumping it up for gabbers :D Congrats again!

Hello Everyone!

I've only seen Prad (in the gym, go figure). I'm slowly working on my moving out. I'm throwing away soooo much :eek: As such, I have an offer. I found a stack of first year notes that in some binders. I don't think they are entirely complete (I think I'm missing OMM and Pharm) but they are mostly organized. If any of you incoming first years want them, let me know...otherwise they are headed to the dumpster. I'm not selling, just hoping to save a the forest that made these notes. By the way, they are the bookstore boughten packets and notepool. I know you guys are all anxious to start, its kind of bittersweet to observe. One of the new students is going to get my notepool box:( But you guys also get the construction and parking issuses :)

Jane, I believe you have become the social coordinator :)

Enjoy the sun while you can!!

Katie

Katie,
I'd love to take your notes. Will you still be in town next tuesday??
thanks
jenny

Jenny

I'll be in town next Tuesday (up to my ears in cleaning :) ) I'll pm you my phone number and email address. We can figure something out from there :)

Katie

hey guys!!
guess where i am... yup Des Moines it is!! i decided to stay and see how things shape up!... i'm glad i did cause i found ten thousand things that needed to be done (well not literally.. but it seems like it!)

just fyi if anyone is getting health insurance through the school, tomorrow is the last day to submit the paperwork if you want the first half of the payment to be taken out of your student loans... just a heads up!.. i sure don't want to shell out $750, first week of classes!

hey jane!
it was really nice talking to you the other day! .. and since i'm in town this week, maybe we can grab lunch tomorrow! and anyone else that would like to join us too.. i can't wait to meet everyone :clap:
i'd also like to check out the gym on campus!
well i hope to see you all soon
Lina

Hey Lina!!

I'm glad you're still in town! That's great! :D

I'd love to go out to lunch w/ you tomorrow. I'll give you a call tomorrow morning, and we'll figure it out. We can go sign you up for the ID to get you into the gym, and thanks so much for the heads up about the health insurance paperwork! I need to do that tomorrow...

Anybody else free for lunch tomorrow?

Katie, hey! I've been at the gym at random times, so maybe that's why I haven't seen you around. I hope I'll see you around before you leave :)

Jane

Jane,

I've been in the gym sporadically myself. I was down with a bout of tonsilitis for a while:( But amoxacillin has made me all better :) We should definitaly get together before I take off. I think my last day will be July 30th. I might come back and help with orientation if I want to make the 90 min drive. It is a fun time when you aren't the new student anymore ;)

Welcome to Des Moines, Lina! I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Katie

Hey guys,

So I finally got those Evites :D I'll be at most of the events; they sound fun!

Katie, sorry to hear that you were sick. Glad you're feeling better now! Are you free anytime this weekend or early next week before you go? Lina and I are going to catch a movie on Saturday (Johnny English, w/ the Mr. Bean dude, Rowan Atkinson). Or we can do lunch or something later on.

Jane

Jane,

I'll be around Saturday afternoon. In the morning, Dad is coming to get my furinture. I'll also be around Tuesday, but I think I'm leaving Wed morning. I'll pm you my phone number. Give me a call, I would love to be able to give you guys one more scare before I leave :p Just kidding, there isn't much to be scared about.

Katie

Thanks Katie!

I'll give you a call when I find out when the movie's playing on Saturday. We'll be going to an afternoon showing, so I hope you can make it!

Jane

Hey,
So I'm finally moving out there. I leave tomorrow morning and should be there by monday night...I have to make a short stop to see a Snoop Dogg concert. :)

anyways, when I get there we should all get together.

Prad, what is the name of that furniture store that you went to. I also sent you a PM

Jane, lina, JP, and Katie - I also sent you PM's. I'll see everyone really soon.
Jenny

Hey,
So I'm finally moving out there. I leave tomorrow morning and should be there by monday night...I have to make a short stop to see a Snoop Dogg concert. :)

anyways, when I get there we should all get together.

Prad, what is the name of that furniture store that you went to. I also sent you a PM

Jane, lina, JP, and Katie - I also sent you PM's. I'll see everyone really soon.
Jenny

Have fun at Snoop Dogs Concert.

Here are the directions to the furnature place.

The furnature store is Furnature source. From campus, take a Left on 31st street to 235. Go west on 235 untill you get to 22nd street in W. DSM. Take a Right on 22nd and keep going. The store is on the corner of 22nd and Swanson. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah 22nd may turn into 86th street before you get to the furnature store. The big thing to watch for is a shopping complex called Cobblestones. If you go past it you've gone too far.

Talk to you later.

PG

Woo Hoo. Hey everyone I am back from RAGBRAI. Had some stuff to take care of so a few of us cut the bike ride short. I still managed to pump out 300 miles in four days though. Anyhoo. I am home all day today so if you are in 3000 Grand stop by. I am number 505.

Think I am just goijng to clean today. Spend tomorrow doing everything I possibly can, and following up with a Sunday of heaving drinking and crying......Only 3 days, where did my summer go?

Swing by and say hi if you are around love to meet some of the new 1st years. Congrats to the few people we just let in off the wait list. Probably still be a couple more I imagine.

Hey guys!
Just thought that I would say hi to everyone...I was just accepted to Des Moines this past Monday, and I still can't believe it! I am so happy!
I have been trying to read all the posts on this thread...all 77 pages of them...whew!
ANyway, I just wanted to say hi and that I hope to meet everyone soon!

Mindy

Hi Mindy :) Oh boy, if you're gonna read all 77 pages of this thing, we're going to sound mighty weird to you!! But there is a lot of good advice buried within the madness, so it's good to browse. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Hey Beau! That's an impressive tour with RAGBRAI. Have fun this weekend while you can!

Prad, are you in DSM? Haha, I totally forgot your schedule...when will you be in town?

Jenny, I returned the PM :D

Jane

Welcome to the family, MINDY!!!

Like Jane said, you can try and read through all the posting and find out a many great advice.... :)

Otherwise, I encourage you to post any questions for all of us and I'm sure you'll get a response....

JP (DO/MPH'05)

Jane,
i didn't get you PM, will you try sending it again?

Mindy, congrats and we'll see you soon.

well i've gotta get going, i'm getting ready to say my goodbye's to all of my coworkers. :)
see everyone in iowa soon
Jenny

Safe Travels!!! :D

Jenny, I sent that PM again :D

JP, when are you moving, or have you already?

Hello everyone!!!
i hope everyone is doing well....
okay so i have some news! I'M IN MICHIGAN !!! :eek: :wow:
what can i say? my family can be pretty convincing! .. i basically just jumped in my car this morning and now i'm in MI...
lemme just say, i've only been gone for 10 days and already things seem different and weird!! isn't that something

Jane,
I had a great time yesterday! :D ... watch out des moines, here we come!! .. i think we are gonna be a force to be reckoned with!! :laugh:
I am SO sorry about tomorrow!! .. i was really looking forward to it.. but hopefully as soon as i get back into town, we can still catch the movie! ( i definetly still wanna see it :) )

Jenny,
i hope your move goes smoothly! .. definetly check out that furniture store.. it was great
i'm about to go read your pm :D

Lina

Hey Lina! That totally rocks...and don't even sweat it about the movie. Have lots of fun at home! When do you expect to be back?

Jane

Originally posted by luckystar
Jenny, I sent that PM again :D

JP, when are you moving, or have you already?

I won't be moving till the end of August.... So I'm still around to meet some of you incoming first years.... I may even help out during orientation seeing that the second years are already bombarded with exams and a practical....

Glad y'all enjoyin' Des Moines....

hey Jane
i'm having a good time :) .. i should hopefully be back in time for some of the fun pre-orientation activities!!... maybe by thursday?!

hope everyone is doing well
L

Dear Colleague

Congratulations on your acceptance to Des Moines University - College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery!

On behalf of DMU-COMS chapter of the American Medical Student Association (AMSA), let me be the first to welcome you to your first year of medical school and what is sure to be a hectic yet exciting year.

As you look forward to beginning your medical education, we'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that, despite the hard work and long hours of studying that lie ahead, medical school doesn't have to be ALL work and no play.

One of the largest and most dynamic on-campus organisations at DMU is AMSA, and we, the officers of AMSA, strongly urge you to join this great organisation, whose goal is to enhance your medical school experience in inumerable ways.

As an AMSA medical member, your one-time fee will entitle you to ALL member benefits throughout your undergraduate and graduate medical training. Benefits include discounts on medical books, auto insurance and many, many others.

During the orientation week this summer, we will set up a booth during club day, where you can come by and join AMSA. We look foraward to seeing you there.

Again, congratulations on your acceptance to DMU. Enjoy the summer and your awesome achievement in becoming a medical student.

Sincerely
Ian Chen
President of AMSA DMU Chapter, 2003-04

Thank you everyone for your nice welcome...I will say that I had to give up reading all 77 pages of this post...but I think that I got the jist of it. :)

Okay--so here's my question...since I just found out about Des Moines...I am way behind in finding a place to live. I am probably going to stay at a hotel for orientation...and will be able to look for a place to live then, but I am going to start calling around this week....where is everyone living? I have no idea where to begin! (I am looking for a one bedroom apartment).

Thanks for any help!
Mindy :)

Thank you, Ian, for all the info. :D

Mindy, you can visit Venture Management's website for listings of their properties: www.venturellc.com. I am staying at the Imperial, across from the Academic Center on campus.

You can also go to www.apartments.com, or www.apartmentbluebook.com for other listings. I believe 3000 Grand has an ad in apartment.com. Do you want to live within walking distance to the campus? I see a lot of vacancy signs in front of a lot of complexes here, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Let us know if you've got other questions, or if you need help with anything :)

Jane

hey all!

I'm just about all settled, and just realized I can use the library and gym facilities without an ID--I was a little disoriented at first, but now I've got my bearings straight. anyway, I'm hangin' with my folks, but they're leaving me all alone with free time on my hands. (me with lots of free time on my hands has historically NOT been a good situation). Anyway, I'll be checking e-mail and stuff periodically, but I was wondering if any of you guys wanted to get together for lunch or something tomorrow, check out the dsm local cuisine. I ate at rock bottom in west des moines (they're a chain though) and the indian restaurant in town (three stars out of five from me). I've been meaning to check out some of the places on ingersoll. has anyone eaten (or have any interesting in eating) at coney island ted's? let me know.

BTW, you can call me at (267) 974-6032, I should have a local phone soon.

hasta manana,

Raj

Hi Raj!! How's it goin man? I'll give you a call tonight or tomorrow. I'm not sure about lunch tomorrow, but I will definitely try to make it. Coney Island Ted's is a great place...awesome gyros. I had no idea what a "tenderloin" sandwich is, so I ordered one the last time I went with Lina. I was expecting some sort of roast beef sandwich, but it was this...chicken-fried patty of some sort. Heh...that's Iowa for ya! :D

Alright guys, see you soon!

Jane

Jane, Jane, Jane....

You are right it is Iowa. Pig Country. Tenderloin sandwhich is a pork tenderloine, flattened, breaded and fried. Some places grill them, most fast food fries them. I like grilled ones a lot...good stuff.

Time flies when you are having pork

Jane--thanks for the info on the apartments...I am looking into some of them, and will be in Des Moines on Friday to check some out.

Okay--so is anyone else nervous abour starting??? I have so many butterflies in my stomach right now...it isn't even funny!!

I wanted to tell you about my situation. I am just recently married (May 31), and have been living in Omaha the past few years. My husband is a Pathology resident here, and is unable to move. So, at first when we heard from DMU, we thought that we would live in this little town (Atlantic, IA) halfway between Omaha and Des Moines. It would be about an hour comute for us, but at least we would be together...except that there are not very many places in this town. SO, we decided that I would just move to Des Moines by myself, and we would see each other during the weekends. I think that will be the right choice...especially when winter time comes...so that is where I stand today.

Sorry, to babble on...I am looking forward to orientation next week, and to meeting all of you!

Mindy :)

Mindy,

Congratulations! You guys are practically newlyweds :D

I'm meeting more of our classmates now, as they're moving in, and I am really excited to have such a cool bunch of people to go through these years with. And yeah, it is an exciting time :)

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.