Desperation for enrollment at NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a female during externships I’ve been asked by a director of a residency if “I plan to have a child soon”.

Edit: this question was approached in a hallway tactlessly and out of the blue. I remember that incident clear as daylight because I was taken back by the direct questioning style.
1) that's an illegal question

2) if any resident needs MLOA (example, needs knee surgery) your program ought to cover you and the director wouldn't need to pay a dime

3) tell him "accidents happen"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As a female during externships I’ve been asked by a director of a residency if “I plan to have a child soon”.

Edit: this question was approached in a hallway tactlessly and out of the blue. I remember that incident clear as daylight because I was taken back by the direct questioning style.
Red flag.
Guaranteed malignant residency.

Reactions: 5 users

Sorry that happened.

What was your response?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What was your response?

Per Ron Swanson “when people get to chummy with me I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them”.

JK, I’d like to keep my response private for anonymity sake.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry that happened to you. You're better off not going there. Typical TFP stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry that happened to you. You're better off not going there. Typical TFP stuff.
More like typical egotistical residency director stuff, guy wants all hands on deck all the time, scared about how the rest of the hospital will perceive him if he lets his residents slack off by doing something so selfish as starting a family.

It's a personal choice. Might be an otherwise good program. There are not enough good training options in this profession to let little things like toxic personalities sandbag your career. I could grit my teeth for 3 years, but that's me.

Reactions: 3 users

More like typical egotistical residency director stuff, guy wants all hands on deck all the time, scared about how the rest of the hospital will perceive him if he lets his residents slack off by doing something so selfish as starting a family.

It's a personal choice. Might be an otherwise good program. There are not enough good training options in this profession to let little things like toxic personalities sandbag your career. I could grit my teeth for 3 years, but that's me.
Yep this.

It sucks when a co resident gets pregnant in terms of call coverage but it is what it is lol. You’ll get to scrub more cases. You can’t expect someone to just delay having a family during the prime years of their life just because of stupid hospital call.

Whether during school, residency, or practice, there’s never a “good” time to start a family to be honest. Do it whenever you feel it is right and don’t care what a program director thinks.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s a huge red flag and I would stay away from that kind of program. If the director is asking that kind of question from now it shows he’s not understanding what’s so ever. Residency is only 3 years but it’s a long 3 years. You don’t know what could happen during those years whether you end up meeting someone and deciding to start a family, losing a loved one, a loved one getting sick etc so it’s important to be at a place with a good environment and support system in place.

It could very well be a good program with high surgical volume but there are plenty of other good programs with high surgical volume that aren’t questioning their female externs on whether they plan to have kids or not. Huge red flag imo

Reactions: 2 users