This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

575SA

Reaction score
I recently got accepted to both Scholl and NYCPM.

I’m posting to this forum because I know that most of you are residents and physicians, and know more about the real world than we students do.

I was wondering, even though both schools pretty much have the same education and curriculum, which school do you feel does a better job at training their students to succeed? Which students do you think go on to achieve the competitive residencies? As an attending physician or director of a program, which students have a better demeanor as a resident?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got accepted to both Scholl and NYCPM.

I’m posting to this forum because I know that most of you are residents and physicians, and know more about the real world than we students do.

I was wondering, even though both schools pretty much have the same education and curriculum, which school do you feel does a better job at training their students to succeed? Which students do you think go on to achieve the competitive residencies? As an attending physician or director of a program, which students have a better demeanor as a resident?

All schools prepare equally for residency. Despite certain school reputations I have seen great students from all schools. Students stand apart during externships by their ability to learn on their own, being proactive, being teachable, being helpful.

A good extern is someone who picks up on the tendencies of the residents and helps them. They learn from their mistakes proving to their resident that they can learn and be taught. They don't need to be told twice to do things. They can accomplish basic tasks with minimal instruction. They are able to critically think and answer questions correctly most of the time. They can read X-rays. They know the basic workup for a surgical patient and what to look for. They are always on times and always stay late. They never leave their rotation early. They leave for the day when the resident tells them to leave.

Externships are all about sacrifice. How much can you take? How much can you put up with? Some residents are total dickweeds and further prove the future of podiatry is bleak because they like to treat students like crap. Can you handle being treated by crap by a dumb-a$$ podiatry resident? You can't talk back and you can't complain. If so, you are a good extern and will be competitive for residency. Doesn't matter where you went to school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t ask here. Call schools you are accepted to and see where their students got residencies for the past three years,
A few decades ago temple was the best producer of high powered residencies. Scholl was probably 2nd but the other schools were all close.
Go to the student site and ask what the most competitive residency slots are and see which school sends the most students there.
Your entire career will be hinged upon your residency.

Don’t ask here. Call schools you are accepted to and see where their students got residencies for the past three years,
A few decades ago temple was the best producer of high powered residencies. Scholl was probably 2nd but the other schools were all close.
Go to the student site and ask what the most competitive residency slots are and see which school sends the most students there.
Your entire career will be hinged upon your residency.

I think there needs to be a qualifier to the last line - your ultimate success will be due to what you learn in residency. As has been proven time and time again, any joe schmo can get a good job if you can talk a good game, have friends or have a good personality. Whether you ultimately succeed long term is due to what you learn in residency.

NYCPM testing keeps the class gpa average around a 2.75, so if you aren’t too 15 no good programs for you.

In my experience and opinion, the school in the big apple puts out the greatest number of bad apples. In the lawsuits and cases I’ve reviewed over the years, in my opinion a disproportionate number have been alumni of NYCPM. In particular, lawsuits involving unnecessary surgery and fraud seem to be providers who were trained at NYCPM, did a residency in NY and remained to practice in NY.

As I’ve stated in the past, I feel there are an abundance of poor quality residency programs in the boroughs of NY. There are unethical and greedy attendings and residency directors who have clinics at these programs and will perform mutiple unnecessary surgeries on any clinic patients who have a pulse , and do poor quality work to add insult to injury.

At one point I was receiving so many of these cases to review and so many cases being billed fraudulently, I had to start turning away cases.

So, given my experiences over the years, I’ve become tainted and don’t think very highly of a significant number of these doctors in NY.

Of course I see this nationwide, but in NY I see it too often and it’s usually the same group of doctors. I’m actually astounded that most aren’t in jail............yet.

Any specialty in the North East has a disproportionate amount of malpractice... It is the mentality and lawyers are very good here.

Malpractice Statistics - True Cost of Heathcare

If it is a specific group please let me know pm so I don't accidentally end up there lol...

Reactions: 1 user
Any specialty in the North East has a disproportionate amount of malpractice... It is the mentality and lawyers are very good here.

Malpractice Statistics - True Cost of Heathcare

If it is a specific group please let me know pm so I don't accidentally end up there lol...

In these instances, it’s not the geographic area, it’s the lack of skill, lack of ethics and lack of morals I’m referencing. And for obvious reasons, I will not PM you particular names. If you spent 5 minutes with any of these thieves and didn’t pick up on it, that’s a major concern.

In these instances, it’s not the geographic area, it’s the lack of skill, lack of ethics and lack of morals I’m referencing. And for obvious reasons, I will not PM you particular names. If you spent 5 minutes with any of these thieves and didn’t pick up on it, that’s a major concern.
Some of them post it right on Instagram for everyone to see.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of them post it right on Instagram for everyone to see.
I never understood this. I have a significant amount of people on social media who post photos of themselves operating. Not just podiatry. Ortho too. Why is it deemed acceptable by some to post yourself with someone's bloody foot on a social media platform? There is no identifiable info of the patient but this has to be illegal.

I wouldnt want my bloody arm surgery posted on social media while im asleep and provided no consent to do so.

I never understood this. I have a significant amount of people on social media who post photos of themselves operating. Not just podiatry. Ortho too. Why is it deemed acceptable by some to post yourself with someone's bloody foot on a social media platform? There is no identifiable info of the patient but this has to be illegal.

I wouldnt want my bloody arm surgery posted on social media while im asleep and provided no consent to do so.
The pt. must sign a consent form.

I don’t think he studied generalizations when he too his Mcat...