Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering the fact that majority of reviews on DMU on this site have been from M1 and M2s, I really appreciate the upperclassmen who have been lately taking the time out to inform all of us on here about what their experiences have been like. I don't know about others but I am not going to dismiss this information as nothing but experiences from few students who just had bad luck. These posts have provided me with some invaluable information.

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for information about how DMU rotations work from a 3rd or 4th year student and this post has helped me in some way to know what exactly DMU has to offer in terms of clinicals and pre-clinicals.

And sorry. Last thing I forgot to mention. The match list is stellar at DMU year to year...the one reported. I want people to realize this is a non-mandatory reporting school. I get a spot at Mass General or Univ of Chicago or UW or Georgetown, I would be more likely to report that residency because it is "impressive." I end up with a spot in my 8th choice residency or scrambling with a best of what's left scenario, something tells me I wouldn't want the additional ego insult so I'd probably just keep it to myself. Count the list up. It never equals the amount of people in the classes (not even close).

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally random for me to jump in, but at my school I met a DMU alumni guest lecturer. He told me the same thing a few weeks ago about the new administration. You never know if that will lead to the better or worse. Every school has their skeletons.

Any third or fourth years have good experiences? This is kind of making me nervous because I chose dmu over kcom and KCUMB...

I am not going to disregard the above novel because I am a 1st year and I may be saying the same thing later on. It sounds more to me like a "don't go DO post" but I will say that this situation is no different than reviews or surveys. You need to take everything with a grain of salt because the unhappy ones are generally the ones that are vocal.

Last edited:
This is getting looked into by both students and administration. I know people are getting worried, but it is important to determine if these are the voices of 3 out of 220 or if this is the general consensus. You are always going to have very unhappy people no matter where you go and i urge everyone to keep that in mind. also, keep in mind that unhappy people are usually the most vocal and while it may be the loudest, it may not be the view of the majority. i assure you this is being addressed. stay tuned.

Thank you 4th years for your great input. For everyone who is concerned about either already having chosen DMU over another school, or is questioning coming to the school... I would wait until more people chime in.

As for me (as a first year student), this is the first time I've come across reading anything like this pertaining to DMU... and I've spent a long time researching about DMU on these boards before matriculating :p , so I feel justified in taking what was said with a huge grain of salt.

Just a quick comment about OMM... it's only 1 lecture + 1 lab/week. That's a total of 2.5 hours. Not really a big deal...

Obviously with new administration comes new change. So far the changes I've seen that affect students have been positive or neutral. And a lot can change in 4 years... so the processes the previous posters had to deal with may/may not be the same as they are currently.

I think input from third years and second years (since they are in the process of setting up rotations) would be great! :cool:

This is getting looked into by both students and administration. I know people are getting worried, but it is important to determine if these are the voices of 3 out of 220 or if this is the general consensus. You are always going to have very unhappy people no matter where you go and i urge everyone to keep that in mind. also, keep in mind that unhappy people are usually the most vocal and while it may be the loudest, it may not be the view of the majority. i assure you this is being addressed. stay tuned.

I just have to say that the current students/liasons of DMU have been more engaged in this forum than any other liasons I have seen in any thread under any med school. Kudos to you. I have been very impressed and I feel that speaks volumes for your school. Just my $0.02

Let me start off by thanking all of the current students who have posted their insight, be it positive or negative. I think I've said this before on here, but one of the primary reasons why I was so drawn to DMU was because of all of the positive feedback I saw on SDN. Reading the recent negative critiques has been a little surprising and, I'll admit, concerning. That being said, I think it's encouraging that both the students and administration are investigating these issues and seem to be open to change. I'm not really sure where I stand on all of this, though. On one hand, I'd like to think that I'll be able to put in the hard work needed to match into the field of my choice, even if it means making some sacrifices and putting up with some unideal situations along the way. I'm also aware of the possibility of away rotations in other states or rotations in rural Iowa that require travel, so I don't foresee myself being disillusioned (not saying that any of the negative reviewers were) by that later on. However, at the same time, I feel that any medical school has the basic responsibility of establishing quality clinical rotations for its students.

Also, regarding the match list, I just counted the number listed for the class of 2012, and there were 209. I could be off by a little on my counting, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, 124578. More to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me start off by thanking all of the current students who have posted their insight, be it positive or negative. I think I've said this before on here, but one of the primary reasons why I was so drawn to DMU was because of all of the positive feedback I saw on SDN. Reading the recent negative critiques has been a little surprising and, I'll admit, concerning. That being said, I think it's encouraging that both the students and administration are investigating these issues and seem to be open to change. I'm not really sure where I stand on all of this, though. On one hand, I'd like to think that I'll be able to put in the hard work needed to match into the field of my choice, even if it means making some sacrifices and putting up with some unideal situations along the way. I'm also aware of the possibility of away rotations in other states or rotiations in rural Iowa that require travel, so I don't foresee myself being disillusioned (not saying that any of the negative reviewers were) by that later on. However, at the same time, I feel that any medical school has the basic responsibility of establishing quality clinical rotations for its students.

Also, regarding the match list, I just counted the number listed for the class of 2012, and there were 209. I could be off by a little on my counting, though.

Here's where I am right now: after my DMU acceptance, I canceled all of my other DO interviews. I have one MD interview that's somewhat late in the season, and I'm not holding my breath on that panning out. I made the mistake of applying late (September-October) this year, and one sub-section of my MCAT could have been higher. I'm not entirely opposed to reapplying next year, but this is my second year out already and I'm kinda ready to get started. I also think that my parents really want me to get the ball rolling with this med school business. I still like DMU and kind of want to give it the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure that the majority of you don't really care to know all of that, but I decided to post this anyway because there might be some of you who are in a similar situation. If you are in a similar spot, has the recent negative feedback completely turned you against the idea of going to DMU?

I am in a very similar situation as you being that I applied late last year and didn't apply to do schools so I reapplied early this year and got three interviews at do schools and my instate md school. My first acceptance was dmu and I really liked the school and its a great choice for me because my father is an alumni from the early 90s and I was actually born in Des Moines so it holds some more weight in my mind. I turned down an acceptance to touro nv and am still waiting to here from my state school, but I'm not putting too many eggs into that basket.

This is my first post on sdn and I honestly didn't know about it until I was talking with another interviewee at pnwu, and I have found that there are a lot of good and helpful things on here. As for the recent feedback from these fourth years I feel that it was quite informative but at the same time I had felt that was the case with most do schools considering that they don't have established teaching hospitals with them anyways. Also from the experiences I've heard from my father (though they were 20 or so years ago) about establishing your own clinical years I was not entirely surprised to hear these things from current students. Iowa isn't the most ideal place to learn medicine, especially if you are looking for a teaching hospital environment, but I think any situation can be overcome and I again look to my father who made the most of his situation to become a well liked and respected doctor in his field in our community.

Everything personal aside, I will say that if I do get the acceptance to my state school I will go there over dmu for multiple reasons, but as of now after everything I've read dmu is my school and I loved the atmosphere and the people there. I feel that if you feel like you belong somewhere that no matter what others may tell you its really on your own hands to make the decision that you feel is best fit for you.

I hope that this post helps you dbs1 and can maybe shed some light from another person in your similar situation.

This year's 2nd yrs (219 students) have just over 50 out of state year long sites to pick from in Nebraska, MO, OH, MN, and MI. From what I have heard most of them are at pretty solid sites.

I still don't get the complaint about too much OMM. I don't love OMM, but I don't think 2.5 hrs/wk is too much.

As for the problems with courses having too many guest lecturers that are not well coordinated and may miss information in 2nd yr...perhaps. Sometimes some of them repeat information already covered, but I still find the lectures from clinicians to be the most interesting and don't mind the repeated information. But we also get some great board review materials that should fill in the gaps. They pay for the complete Kaplan course. I just picked up my giant box of review books and have access to the Qbanks for both USMLE and COMLEX.

I know I 'm only a 2nd yr, but I still don't get the above complaints. I promise I will try to find the time to post next yr to give an honest opinion of rotations. :)

(I also kind of have a feeling the above 2 unhappy 4th yr posters are really the same person - so I wouldn't interpret these complaints as being the general consensus)

Last edited:
Some other D.O. schools really restricted where we could go for 3rd and 4th year rotations and also seemed to discourage away rotations all together. I just want to clarify, I do have the freedom to set up my own rotations right? That was why I wasn't too concerned with DMU's lack of rotation sites. I wanted the freedom to pick my own.

Thanks everyone for all of the great input on this thread. I think you just have to do your research and figure out what the best school is for you. Do the research and then trust your gut instinct. I am very confident in my decision to attend DMU, in spite of everything that has been said on this thread. 2-3 negative comments posted anonymously online are not enough to sway the countless number of positive things I've heard from students in different years at DMU.

This may be relevant for some people on this thread: DMU is having a 2nd Look Day for accepted students on March 25th. If you're having any doubts at all, I highly recommend that you check out DMU again. This is a perfect opportunity to come see what the atmosphere is like on campus (in case you've forgotten since your interview) and to get any questions you may have answered. Here's a link: http://www.dmu.edu/admission/2nd-look/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Just to follow up on a couple comments. Checked this thread today just to see if there were any other pressing matters.

seap3 I'm not the same person as liberaldoc. That's like saying there are 2 people who think universal healthcare is a fantastic idea for patient care and decide to speak out on their opinion in a blog, after which people in disagreement assume they are the same person simply trying to "boost numbers." As I'm sure we are all aware, multiple people can have similar views... or were all those votes for Obama just one guy?

dbs1, I saw the same thing on the match list from this past year. My apologies, as I never want to inform on inaccurate information. It would appear to me they are now reporting all residency positions. In the past, though, this was not the case.

Regarding the OMT stuff, I wanted to clarify because it seems I was misunderstood. The physical time you are in lab and lecture is not all that much of an addition. I did not want to insinuate that it was some sort of unbearable hour requirement. I was trying to highlight that there are multiple problems with various courses which are not addressed (at least when I was in them) and yet they persist at doing far more than what is necessary to teach OMT. When you sit in a class which is one of the cornerstones of medicine (like pathology for instance), only to realize that nothing is really being taught, and that it is a persistant year-to-year problem, it is hard to justify agreeing with all the emphasis placed on something most who graduate will never use again short of maybe on a family member over a vacation or day off. You may not see the importance in that now, but that is why I offered my opinion up as a 4th year.

JaBoomDay, real quick, no the 3rd year is not about setting up your own rotations. It is in the sense that you choose where you go from a short list (can't go just anywhere, and can't promise you'll get where you want). That said, if you go to an out of state 3rd year site, you get some choices on how you construct your schedule within their institution. If you stay in Iowa, last I heard it was done by some sort of "best rotation based on zip code" phenomenon which I don't even think the faculty understands. Stories I've heard from reliable friends: its hit or miss, mostly miss. 4th year is all yours as far as where to go. My opinion was this: if you are ill prepared in 3rd year (and that means doing far more than just reading your butt off...you need exposure, trust me), then no matter where you go in 4th year, you will be behind the eight ball and playing catch up the whole time. I hardly think going to med school for 3 years of mediocre educational experience is worth one measely year of being able to go where you want, especially considering you realistically can't even do more than 3-4 away rotations just based on scheduling alone. The art of zen may be all about 50% just showing up for life, but medicine isn't. If you just show up in 4th year and do poorly, you can't expect favors from those you work with at match time. ANd think about this point: you won't do away rotations at your bottom choices. You want to be the most prepared you can be heading in to away rotations because that month is like a 30-day interview...everything is magnified.

My warnings were trying to reiterate to ensure getting the highest quality spot you can, which usually means out of state as far as consistency goes. I can't understand how anything is quality if the only standard a physician who is "training" a student physician is held to is simply to sign a syllabus. Also, very few rotations offered at DMU have access to residents and fellows, which I think is a hugs loss. Also from experience, residents and fellows not only help keep attendings current on information, but they also become amazing teachers, and are able to teach you relevant board and updated information. They really are invaluable to a proper medical education. All I was trying to say for rotations at DMU is be prepared to fight for a good spot and strive to become more than just a theoretical book knowledge physician. That doesn't happen for students when they are busy being shipped all over the place and getting 5 hours of sleep because they have to commute an hour and a half each way to shadow a half-retired doc in a single practice.

I agree that if you want the most accurate information about the current rotations, speak to a second year who is planning third year, and third years alike about their reflective experience. Far as I know, the out of state people build far more connections and learn far more real-world medicine than the in-staters ever will because of in-hospital and case load standards. 50 out of state rotation spots go fast and have a lot of people eyeing them by that point so I wouldn't be too impressed by that.

Think about this final thought and I'll leave it to rest: Why on earth would anyone ask you to pay the same tuition for 4th year as you do in the first 3 years, yet require you to do not only all the leg work for your rotations, but then turn around and give you no network connections in most centers (because they simply don't know people), and no educational lecture capacity whatsoever while simultaneously never assuring any educational requirements are met by anything more than an evaluation at the end of the rotation?

I know some people out there are just chomping at the bit to fire back about these comments, but as I said before, I'm just trying to facilitate that call that this website and others have put out there for "more 4th years to chime in." If you have suspicions or issues about my commentary on my own experience, can't help you. Take it for what it is. These are the things I saw and I experienced in my time at DMU. These are things I would talk with people about if they considered DMU to be a viable option for their future training, and these are things I wish I had been privy to from the get go. Don't waste time crtiquing things here that there is no way you could possibly know unless you went through 4 years of schooling here because it is a waste of time. Just take it all in, weigh what you hear as pros and cons, try to learn from those who have come before you, and make your own decisions. Physicians are self learners and from here on out, you won't get do overs. I only encourage you to make an informed decision for yourself, and that is the place my advice comes from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You bring up great points 124578. However, I wonder if many of the things you talk about are common problems found at most/all DO schools?

I've said this before, but I feel like the main problem addressed here are rotations: specifically, rotations in Iowa and DMU's role in helping you setting them up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As a side question, could one of y'all explain how 4th year audition rotations work? Do you have the freedom to rotate anywhere in the country that allows you to? I'm from TX and would love to do some auditions over there. Is this possible? And how do I go about requesting a rotation? Just call a hospital? I'm a long ways away from needing to know this but it'd be nice to know!

You bring up great points 124578. However, I wonder if many of the things you talk about are common problems found at most/all DO schools?

I've said this before, but I feel like the main problem addressed here are rotations: specifically, rotations in Iowa and DMU's role in helping you setting them up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As a side question, could one of y'all explain how 4th year audition rotations work? Do you have the freedom to rotate anywhere in the country that allows you to? I'm from TX and would love to do some auditions over there. Is this possible? And how do I go about requesting a rotation? Just call a hospital? I'm a long ways away from needing to know this but it'd be nice to know!

I am now depressed after reading this thread and Western's. I guess it is true that no school is perfect. We'd better gear up and work our a#s off wrapping up the 4 years, and move on to residency. Four years in medical school, not very long anyway......time passes very fast, especially when we are super busy at getting our degree/training.

I am now depressed after reading this thread and Western's. I guess it is true that no school is perfect. We'd better gear up and work our a#s off wrapping up the 4 years, and move on to residency. Four years in medical school, not very long anyway......time passes very fast, especially when we are super busy at getting our degree/training.

I'm actually not depressed at all. Maybe a little concerned and wanting to get some solid answers, but not depressed. Western has a pretty solid reputation also, so I find it odd that two of the "better" DO schools has this outbreak of negativity towards it. I'm definitely not saying what the 4th years were saying is nonsense; their insight and experience is invaluable. But it seems like the majority of students at DMU have graduated and gone into the fields they wanted at great residency locations (given the match list each year)... so this makes me feel good. That, and the board scores are among the top of DO schools, so I feel the school must be doing SOMETHING right... yes?

Setting up rotations may be difficult, but similar to above: if hundreds of people have done it before me, I can do it too.

But as FrkyBgStok said, students and administration will be looking into this further. Perhaps it's just a matter of educating students better on how rotations work, and making the process more visible to students early on than waiting till second year? It won't change the actual rotation sites, but students can plan ahead better.

So yeah... nobody be depressed. This is a great school.

I'm actually not depressed at all. Maybe a little concerned and wanting to get some solid answers, but not depressed. Western has a pretty solid reputation also, so I find it odd that two of the "better" DO schools has this outbreak of negativity towards it. I'm definitely not saying what the 4th years were saying is nonsense; their insight and experience is invaluable. But it seems like the majority of students at DMU have graduated and gone into the fields they wanted at great residency locations (given the match list each year)... so this makes me feel good. That, and the board scores are among the top of DO schools, so I feel the school must be doing SOMETHING right... yes?

Setting up rotations may be difficult, but similar to above: if hundreds of people have done it before me, I can do it too.

But as FrkyBgStok said, students and administration will be looking into this further. Perhaps it's just a matter of educating students better on how rotations work, and making the process more visible to students early on than waiting till second year? It won't change the actual rotation sites, but students can plan ahead better.

So yeah... nobody be depressed. This is a great school.

Well said. :thumbup:

Hi all,

Does anyone know which hotel has shuttle service to DMU on the interview day?
and which ones have both services to DMU and airport?
Many thanks!!

This is supposed to be an exciting time for us as we anticipate starting our medical education at a school that we all thought had an outstanding reputation. We have worked damn hard to get to this point and it sucks to hear this stuff. I don't understand why after so many years that this is the first time I've heard anything bad about this school. Did something change recently?

I appreciate the input but at this point I can't do anything about it unless I either take a year off and reapply or I get off the waitlist at my top choice. For me, it's not worth taking a year off. I'm seriously frustrated about all of these negative posts because I feel like I can't even be happy about being accepted anymore. I think this is why people get so defensive about these posts because it's really ruining the incredible feeling of finally making dreams come true. I don't believe that going to this school is career suicide. I'll just take the "heads-up" in stride and when I get there I'll address the problems then. I know I have the work ethic to make my medical education a positive experience even in the face of supposed inadequate resources. I have already come from the most unlikely of circumstances so doing some work to set up good rotations isn't enough to scare me away.

Reactions: 1 user
I am really excited about this Second Look Day. My husband didn't get to come with me for my interview, and I would like to get his input since this is a major life decision that affects him too. I'm hoping to gain some more clarity and insight to the concerns brought up here. Honestly, I expect a bit better than this given the fact that this school boasts 114 years of success, so I'm hoping this second visit is worth the trip.

I'm seriously frustrated about all of these negative posts because I feel like I can't even be happy about being accepted anymore. I think this is why people get so defensive about these posts because it's really ruining the incredible feeling of finally making dreams come true. I don't believe that going to this school is career suicide. I'll just take the "heads-up" in stride and when I get there I'll address the problems then. I know I have the work ethic to make my medical education a positive experience even in the face of supposed inadequate resources.

:thumbup: This could not be a more accurate summary of how I feel.

Ok, I understand that the two 4th years posted only to help, and yes, while the information is helpful, their attitudes are quite the opposite. If you're trying to be helpful, there is a much better way to deliver negative information. Also, the general theme seems to be, "It was hard work, and some of the resources were inadequate, but I turned out fine and will still be successful."

That being said, every school has something it can improve upon. In fact, a study done on Harvard medical students about 5 years ago showed the students felt that they had inadequate muscoskeletal education even though they believed muscoskeletal education to be very important. And that's at a top ranked medical school. So yes, I'm sure DMU has things it can improve upon, and telling students not to go there does not help any of the current or matriculating students.

So yes, please give advice on how to use the resources and education at DMU to create the best experience possible, and yes, mention the gaps in the education so we know and can be prepared for them, but please drop the attitudes because they help no one. The same information can be delivered in a constructive manner.

I believe everything is a learning experience, and even if obtaining higher quality clinical education is more difficult at DMU, who's to say that the lessons learned and skills obtained from doing so won't have some benefit down the line when we are practicing physicians?

So yes, I'm still excited to start at DMU this fall, and yes, I'm willing to put in the work that will feed my success, and yes, I am thankful to have some insight as to what I am to expect down the line and the challenges that lie ahead.

Best wishes to all!

Say what ya like, but I'm very impressed by this school. If I get an acceptance, I'll put my deposit down without hesitation. I happen to know a couple of alumni who weren't very troubled by these concerns.

Sent from my SGH-T769

Hi all,

Does anyone know which hotel has shuttle service to DMU on the interview day?
and which ones have both services to DMU and airport?
Many thanks!!

Hey there, a lot of chatter here, the Hampton hotel right across the street from the airport has a shuttle to the school. I was also able to get a rental car for like 25 bucks, not necessary unless you want to give yourself a tour of the area though...

Ok, I understand that the two 4th years posted only to help, and yes, while the information is helpful, their attitudes are quite the opposite. If you're trying to be helpful, there is a much better way to deliver negative information. Also, the general theme seems to be, "It was hard work, and some of the resources were inadequate, but I turned out fine and will still be successful."

That being said, every school has something it can improve upon. In fact, a study done on Harvard medical students about 5 years ago showed the students felt that they had inadequate muscoskeletal education even though they believed muscoskeletal education to be very important. And that's at a top ranked medical school. So yes, I'm sure DMU has things it can improve upon, and telling students not to go there does not help any of the current or matriculating students.

So yes, please give advice on how to use the resources and education at DMU to create the best experience possible, and yes, mention the gaps in the education so we know and can be prepared for them, but please drop the attitudes because they help no one. The same information can be delivered in a constructive manner.

I believe everything is a learning experience, and even if obtaining higher quality clinical education is more difficult at DMU, who's to say that the lessons learned and skills obtained from doing so won't have some benefit down the line when we are practicing physicians?

So yes, I'm still excited to start at DMU this fall, and yes, I'm willing to put in the work that will feed my success, and yes, I am thankful to have some insight as to what I am to expect down the line and the challenges that lie ahead.

Best wishes to all!
Best reply I've read in any of the threads...thank you for the mature response and I completely agree with your sentiments

This is supposed to be an exciting time for us as we anticipate starting our medical education at a school that we all thought had an outstanding reputation. We have worked damn hard to get to this point and it sucks to hear this stuff. I don't understand why after so many years that this is the first time I've heard anything bad about this school. Did something change recently?

I appreciate the input but at this point I can't do anything about it unless I either take a year off and reapply or I get off the waitlist at my top choice. For me, it's not worth taking a year off. I'm seriously frustrated about all of these negative posts because I feel like I can't even be happy about being accepted anymore. I think this is why people get so defensive about these posts because it's really ruining the incredible feeling of finally making dreams come true. I don't believe that going to this school is career suicide. I'll just take the "heads-up" in stride and when I get there I'll address the problems then. I know I have the work ethic to make my medical education a positive experience even in the face of supposed inadequate resources. I have already come from the most unlikely of circumstances so doing some work to set up good rotations isn't enough to scare me away.

Hi all,

I too am preparing myself to start at DMU in the Fall. I was accepted at 4 DO schools and chose DMU based on what I perceived was a very positive reputation. I've also been concerned by some of these posts by 4th years who have had negative feedback.

But I'd also like to address the continuing surprise among some of us who have mentioned that we hadn't heard about this before. I did some googling and found that this has actually been an issue for at least 13 years. Here is a post on SDN from 2000 by a "Kent Ray" who has nearly the same complaint: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=22323 (scroll down a bit to find it).

Then, in another post, (again in 2000), a recent graduate of DMU addressed KR's complaint, saying:

"Kent Ray and KMBum;

I graduated from DMU a few years ago. I'm not sure if thing's have changed in 3rd-4th years since that time, but my clinical years were excellent. When I was an MS-2 I had to set up my rotations. There's a lottery system to det'n where you'll do your core rotations for the first year of rotations, but for the remaining 12 months, it's wide open. My core rotations were excellent (maybe alittle too much emphasis on outpatient family practice) but overall very good.

How good your clinical years are is really det'ned by how hard you're willing to work. There are advantages and disadvantages to this arrangement. If you want to slack off during rotations, you can schedule 'cake' rotations; if you want to learn and work hard you can arrange for rotations at Mayo Clinic, UCSF, etc... Obvious advantage to this arrangement is that you can rotate at programs that you're interested in for residency. Example: a classmate (middle class rank and mediocre board scores) is now an ER resident at a large east coast university. "

Then there's some more back and forth. You can read that exchange here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=27306

In another post in 2006 the issue of rotations is raised again, this time for DO schools in general. A 4th year at DMU chimed in with this concerning setting up your own rotations:

"I personally would not have it any other way. I am a 4th year at DMU and have done rotations at several different hospitals, and feel that I will be better prepared because of it. I have learned how to use different types of EMRs, how different hospitals are run, and probably most importantly, how I do and do not want to practice in the future. I can see how it can be inconvenient for people who need to stay in one place, but that really is something you should look at when applying and interviewing for med school. The flexibility of my clinical years was a big factor in my choice to go to DMU. My fiance and I were able to schedule our entire fourth year at the same places together, and while it took a considerable amount of time and paperwork, I think it's been worth it. At interviews, people have commented on how great it is that we've been able to get such a varied experience. To each their own."

You can find the above exchange here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293873

So, I don't know about you, but after reading these other threads, I'm feeling better prepared for life at DMU, especially 3rd and 4th year. We just had a bunch of cons thrown in our faces in this thread, but looking at things more holistically, it appears there are a certain number of pros, as well. I will now stay tuned to hear from those involved what DMU's current response is to the concerns raised. I wish you all well, and I'll see you in the Fall!!

Hi all,

I too am preparing myself to start at DMU in the Fall. I was accepted at 4 DO schools and chose DMU based on what I perceived was a very positive reputation. I've also been concerned by some of these posts by 4th years who have had negative feedback.

But I'd also like to address the continuing surprise among some of us who have mentioned that we hadn't heard about this before. I did some googling and found that this has actually been an issue for at least 13 years. Here is a post on SDN from 2000 by a "Kent Ray" who has nearly the same complaint: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=22323 (scroll down a bit to find it).

Then, in another post, (again in 2000), a recent graduate of DMU addressed KR's complaint, saying:

"Kent Ray and KMBum;

I graduated from DMU a few years ago. I'm not sure if thing's have changed in 3rd-4th years since that time, but my clinical years were excellent. When I was an MS-2 I had to set up my rotations. There's a lottery system to det'n where you'll do your core rotations for the first year of rotations, but for the remaining 12 months, it's wide open. My core rotations were excellent (maybe alittle too much emphasis on outpatient family practice) but overall very good.

How good your clinical years are is really det'ned by how hard you're willing to work. There are advantages and disadvantages to this arrangement. If you want to slack off during rotations, you can schedule 'cake' rotations; if you want to learn and work hard you can arrange for rotations at Mayo Clinic, UCSF, etc... Obvious advantage to this arrangement is that you can rotate at programs that you're interested in for residency. Example: a classmate (middle class rank and mediocre board scores) is now an ER resident at a large east coast university. "

Then there's some more back and forth. You can read that exchange here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=27306

In another post in 2006 the issue of rotations is raised again, this time for DO schools in general. A 4th year at DMU chimed in with this concerning setting up your own rotations:

"I personally would not have it any other way. I am a 4th year at DMU and have done rotations at several different hospitals, and feel that I will be better prepared because of it. I have learned how to use different types of EMRs, how different hospitals are run, and probably most importantly, how I do and do not want to practice in the future. I can see how it can be inconvenient for people who need to stay in one place, but that really is something you should look at when applying and interviewing for med school. The flexibility of my clinical years was a big factor in my choice to go to DMU. My fiance and I were able to schedule our entire fourth year at the same places together, and while it took a considerable amount of time and paperwork, I think it's been worth it. At interviews, people have commented on how great it is that we've been able to get such a varied experience. To each their own."

You can find the above exchange here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293873

So, I don't know about you, but after reading these other threads, I'm feeling better prepared for life at DMU, especially 3rd and 4th year. We just had a bunch of cons thrown in our faces in this thread, but looking at things more holistically, it appears there are a certain number of pros, as well. I will now stay tuned to hear from those involved what DMU's current response is to the concerns raised. I wish you all well, and I'll see you in the Fall!!

Thank you so much for this post. :thumbup: Lots of great info.
The bolded above is exactly how I felt about this school. I'm glad that someone got the experience that I was hoping to get at DMU.

Although there may be flaws, I feel that the school is doing the best to correct them...they are not hired to cause you to fail..obviously seen by the board scores and residencies...that alone gives me hope that no matter how hard I have to work, it will be done... No matter if its another school or DMU...its all on the dedication of the student...those past students were obviously dedicated to get high scores and their match...they didnt learn it all alone...someone taught and gave instruction..so there is no reason to crush a pre meds excitement and hope for such a hard working, caring school...we perceive things from different angles so who is to tell what administration is trying to do...DMU is my decision and no one will choose for me..If Ive made a mistake then Ill learn and adjust to whatever is going on, and adapt...thats apart of life..theres people who dont have it like us, who can't go to school, who missed out on this cycle and ppl want to complain about school..talk about contentment and being humble.....so with that said, congrats to all the students accepted to DMU...I hope to see you in the fall...
God bless...
Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

Just withdrew from my Feb 1st interview slot if anyone wants to move theirs up :thumbup:

Hi all,

"Kent Ray and KMBum;

Good post. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

How is the 3rd/4th year rotations are going to be affected by Des Moines University participating in VSAS since 02/2012?

How is the 3rd/4th year rotations are going to be affected by Des Moines University participating in VSAS since 02/2012?

This is a great question!! I'm researching VSAS now and liking what I'm seeing.

It appears as though VSAS is only available to 4th year students... is that right?

It appears as though VSAS is only available to 4th year students... is that right?

From my limited research, most programs I'm interested in don't allow 3rd years to be visiting for rotations. It seems that they save that for audition/away rotations for 4th year. (Caveat: I could be completely wrong, that's just what I've noticed at a select few other schools/hospitals that participate in VSAS.)

Hey guys, I just received a partial scholarship offer and had a question about it. By accepting it right now, (its due by Feb. 6) are there any strings attached? I'm not 100% sure on my choice yet. The letter doesn't contain any language which implies that by accepting the offer at this point that I am 'committing' to attend. Thanks for any input.

Hey guys, I just received a partial scholarship offer and had a question about it. By accepting it right now, (its due by Feb. 6) are there any strings attached? I'm not 100% sure on my choice yet. The letter doesn't contain any language which implies that by accepting the offer at this point that I am 'committing' to attend. Thanks for any input.

congrats. in all reality, if you do accept it and it does "bind" you, and then you say, "nevermind just kidding," what is DMU going to do? accept that shiznit.

Can anyone clarify this for me: according to DMU's website, students who've just finished their second year have a break from May 22 - July 30. Could one theoretically use all of this time to study for COMLEX Level 1 and/or Step 1 and take these exams in late July, or is there a certain date by which DMU requires its students to have taken them?

Also, has anyone heard anything about laptops/iPads/whatever for the incoming class?

For any current students, what would you say, outside of your tuition, is the total cost of attending DMU per year? I'm from NJ and am trying to weigh a tuition of 27.5 at a school I can live at home while attending vs. 20 k in tuition at DMU + living expenses. Thanks.

Can anyone clarify this for me: according to DMU's website, students who've just finished their second year have a break from May 22 - July 30. Could one theoretically use all of this time to study for COMLEX Level 1 and/or Step 1 and take these exams in late July, or is there a certain date by which DMU requires its students to have taken them?

Also, has anyone heard anything about laptops/iPads/whatever for the incoming class?

I thought I read something about students needing to have finished Boards by late June.

Thanks! Is that about standard? I really have no clue about these things.

I've only looked at a couple schools, but that seems to be about standard, with 3rd year starting around the end of June or early July. Maybe not at every school, but I think this is around about the same everywhere. I've known some med students and their boards were usually in early June.