Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- Part THREE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so what's the deal with shoes hanging from the electric wires?? :confused:

I see that occasionally in the less than nice areas of Oklahoma City, but why would someone throw their shoes up there in the first place?

It is a way to indicate that drugs are sold in that area. Or it could just be some one thinking they are cool by doing it, but usually the first reason. And Midwest/Del City isn't all that bad.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a way to indicate that drugs are sold in that area. Or it could just be some one thinking they are cool by doing it, but usually the first reason. And Midwest/Del City isn't all that bad.

That is bizzare. Next time I drive through east Knoxville, I will have to look toward the lines and see if there are any shoes hanging. I've never seen anything like that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, for people wondering where to buy the stethoscope and other equipment for LMU I use a local guy (Smitty's Surgical) in knoxville who can get great deals on that stuff if you decide to wait until you get in town. I bought a Littman Cardiology III from him about a year ago and saved almost $30 from the closest other store. Just thought I'd put that up as FYI. I'll give him a call and get some exact prices.

OK, so what's the deal with shoes hanging from the electric wires?? :confused:

I see that occasionally in the less than nice areas of Oklahoma City, but why would someone throw their shoes up there in the first place?

In H-town that means someone is selling drugs nearby...but I wouldn't know from personal experience!

Any info on townhomes for rent, feel free to PM me!

Unlike me.....who at his core is a cold, heartless SOB who does not value the lives of ******s (to paraphrase a PM I just received).

LMAO! Well, I guess your thread took off after I went to bed last night.:rolleyes: :smuggrin: I am staying out of that debate.

Anyone who is buying a home:

Call the Farm Bureau. I called a lot of places for home owner's insurance quotes and they were the best by far. It will save you a lot of time if you just call them directly. I called Allstate, Farmer's, Unitrin Direct, and some others as well. There are locations all over the place, but this one happens to be in Harrogate. They also have great auto insurance rates if you need that as well. We are going to switch our auto insurance to them once we get a Tennessee driver's license. BTW, apparently you have to have a CERTIFIED copy of your birth certificate if you want to get a license in another state.:eek:

CLAIBORNE COUNTY FARM BUREAU
932 Patterson Rd
Harrogate, TN 37752-8346
Phone - 423-869-8346

Anyone who is buying a home:

Call the Farm Bureau. I called a lot of places for home owner's insurance quotes and they were the best by far. It will save you a lot of time if you just call them directly. I called Allstate, Farmer's, Unitrin Direct, and some others as well. There are locations all over the place, but this one happens to be in Harrogate. They also have great auto insurance rates if you need that as well. We are going to switch our auto insurance to them once we get a Tennessee driver's license. BTW, apparently you have to have a CERTIFIED copy of your birth certificate if you want to get a license in another state.:eek:

CLAIBORNE COUNTY FARM BUREAU
932 Patterson Rd
Harrogate, TN 37752-8346
Phone - 423-869-8346

Thanks for the information. Did you talk to anyone from State Farm down there. That is who we have up here in Chicago, but i was wondering how their rates were compared to some of the other places :thumbup:

House and apartment rentals for y'all:

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-314317

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-312470

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-316568

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-311837

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-311406

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-300438

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=34-289998

http://realestate.knoxnews.com/RealEstate/Rentals/Listing.asp?lid=157-magnolia2

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.a...3656C38766A756B36797A5A7459773D3D&adid=303659

1 Bdrm Efficiency Apt, stove & refrigerator furnished $250 + dep 606-248-4859 269-1173
Save ad
Email a Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - 2 bdrm 1 bath apts. in H’gate, exc. neighborhood, no pets. $375+ deposit. (423)869-3899.
Save ad
Email a Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 bdrm apt in Ewing, VA. $375 month + $350 dep. Section 8 HUD accepted. References required. No pets allowed. Call 276-445-5777....from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

2 bedroom apartment for rent, $425 plus deposit, 1 Bdrm apt for rent $275, plus deposit (606)248-5959. pd. 3 abcdef...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

Large 2 bdrm upstairs apt. CHA; carpet/ceiling fans; gas logs; references & rental application required. $350 per mo + dep. Call 248-4359.
Save ad
Email a Friend

NOW LEASING
AFFORDABLE
2 & 3 BR, 2 bath
APARTMENTS
No application fee. Special security deposit rate. Central Heat/Air, Dishwasher, washer/dryer hookup. Balconies, patios & much more.
Call
(276)445-5700
ROSE HILL
APARTMENTS...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

NOW LEASING
AFFORDABLE
2 & 3 BR, 2 bath
APARTMENTS
No application fee.
Move in Special! 1 month free rent until March 15. Special
security deposit rate. Central Heat/Air, Dishwasher, washer/dryer hookup. Balconies, patios & much more.
(276)445-5700
ROSE HILL
APARTMENTS
Save ad
Email a Friend

In Middlesboro, furnished 1 bd apt., all utilities furnished. suitable for 1. $375 mo. + $150 dep. 423-869-3193.
Save ad

Houses For Rent

2 br, 1 bath, gas H&A, garage, nice yard, no pets. $325 dep. $425 mo (606)248-2013.
Save ad
Email a Friend

2-3 Bdrm house for rent in Ambleside rd, Middlesboro, couples preferred, must have references, absolutely no pets (423)869-4807 pd 3 b...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

3-4 BR, 1 1/2 bath, 1 acre fenced yard, paved drive on dead end street in Harrogate, new flooring & paint, HUD approved, reference req. $500 dep/ $550 mo. special discount for qualified tenant (423)869-5841 leave message pd 3 ab...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

4 Bdrm / 2 bath house for rent located on Powell River approximately 5 minutes from Harrogate, Tenn $550 per mo/$500 security deposit, references needed & read & sign contract (423)869-4379 pd 3 b...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

House for rent in Harrogate area nice neighborhood $500 mo. ready in April (606)248-7189 pd 3 ab...from Cumberland Trading Post
Save ad
Email a Friend

Thanks for the information. Did you talk to anyone from State Farm down there. That is who we have up here in Chicago, but i was wondering how their rates were compared to some of the other places :thumbup:

I did not talk to State Farm. Sorry. I may call them though because I just found out I have to fill out the inital policy with the Farm Bureau in person, so I will have to go with someone else initally and then switch. I will let you know how the rates are if I do.

I did not talk to State Farm. Sorry. I may call them though because I just found out I have to fill out the inital policy with the Farm Bureau in person, so I will have to go with someone else initally and then switch. I will let you know how the rates are if I do.
Thanks! You are the best!!!!!

Thanks...

Those are the townhomes I had found and was looking at.

They are nice, but I'm guessing if we're going to spend in that price range, it will be for a single family home.

Just have to get down there and see I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! You are the best!!!!!

LOL! Thanks!:cool: :thumbup: :laugh:

Anyway, I just got a quote and it was almost twice as much as the Farm Bureau. :eek: :mad: :smuggrin: I have to figure out how to get down there I guess.

LOL! Thanks!:cool: :thumbup: :laugh:

Anyway, I just got a quote and it was almost twice as much as the Farm Bureau. :eek: :mad: :smuggrin: I have to figure out how to get down there I guess.
well that is no good...thanks for looking into it...there is so much to do, and such little time once tax season is over

Docmom,

Just my .02

I would suggest you really research this. The cheapest insurance you can find doesn't do you a bit of good in a time of need if it doesn't cover you for what you need.

Now, since you are buying an actual farm, Farm Bureau might be the way to go.

I was with Allstate for a long time, but learned the hard way that State Farm was worth the difference in cost after a while.

We now have all our vehicles, jet ski, home, etc...all through State Farm..and I hope we can keep our stuff working with them through the same agent, though I doubt it.

Really, I think insurance all comes down mostly to how good your agent is...and how the policy is written.

Docmom,

Just my .02

I would suggest you really research this. The cheapest insurance you can find doesn't do you a bit of good in a time of need if it doesn't cover you for what you need.

I was with Allstate for a long time, but learned the hard way that State Farm was worth the difference in cost after a while.

We now have all our vehicles, jet ski, home, etc...all through State Farm..and I hope we can keep our stuff working with them through the same agent, though I doubt it.

Really, I think insurance all comes down mostly to how good your agent is...and how the policy is written.

Thanks for the advice. The policies are all comparable to each other. I was advised to go with the Farm Bureau by some people in the area. They are supposed to be really good. But, it looks like I will have to start another policy initially since I can't go down there to sign the paperwork. The quotes for Allstate and State Farm were about the same. I think I got a better one with Farmer's or Travelers, but now I can't find the information. I didn't realize that buying a house was such a process. :eek:

well that is no good...thanks for looking into it...there is so much to do, and such little time once tax season is over

I know! I am pretty overwhelmed by everything at the moment. I don't know if I will ever get everything packed. We are going to move the middle of May. That seems like it is so far away, but it really isn't. So much to do, so little time!:scared:

Dr. Mom,

I can tell you from experience not the let the great prices of farm bureau scare you off. I have been with them for years. I have had to use the insurance on my cars several times and they are always great to work with. I have never made a home owners claim but I am sure it would be just as pleasent. That is just my experience with them.

Docmom,

Just my .02

I talked with my State Farm agent yesterday, and if you plan on registering everything in TN, you will have to go with an agent in TN. There are a few in Knoxville, one in Lafollette, and one in Tazewell.

I couldn't agree more. I would rather pay a bit more for better coverage

Dr. Mom,

I can tell you from experience not the let the great prices of farm bureau scare you off. I have been with them for years. I have had to use the insurance on my cars several times and they are always great to work with. I have never made a home owners claim but I am sure it would be just as pleasent. That is just my experience with them.

Thank you!!! That is what I have heard. I definitely want to get both home owner's and auto through them, but it looks like I will have to go with someone else so I can close on the house and then switch once we are down there. :thumbup:

ok people i am joining this thread....out of being superstitious i guess:laugh:

*dr.kicia raises her arms to the heavens like an orant figure and prays: i will get accepted, i will get accepted, i will get accepted, i will get accepted....mantra, mantra....i will get accepted, i will get accepted*

ok people i am joining this thread....out of being superstitious i guess:laugh:

*dr.kicia raises her arms to the heavens like an orant figure and prays: i will get accepted, i will get accepted, i will get accepted, i will get accepted....mantra, mantra....i will get accepted, i will get accepted*

WOOT!!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

You WILL get accepted! :luck:

Good to hear Farm Bureau down there is reputable...that's great news.

Dmom, I told ya this whole house buying thing was a chore...and there's more to come.

I would bet money there are some surprises to come that really aren't that big of a deal, but at the time make you feel like the world is about to come crashing down. Good luck! Before you know it, it will all be over!

I figured I'd have to switch agents..we were lucky in the fact that our current agent can cover both MO and KS when we moved here.

Welcome, Kicia!

WOOT!!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

You WILL get accepted! :luck:

man...i cannot belive i am cheating on CCOM:laugh: . Just watched the video on DCOM's web and i love the mountains!!!
I want there:D such a gorgeous setting. Perfect to study, feels like home, looks like Poland's Bieszczady Mountains (that is where i am from:D )
1.jpg

i am sold...mountains and a nicely equipted gym.
All i need in med school:D
i will write in my PS that if they accept me i will teach spinning classes for free LMAO!!!:laugh:

LOL! AWESOME!!! It is definitely one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been too. I can't believe that I am going to live in such a gorgeous area.:love:

I am sure that there will be plenty more suprise along the road to buying our house. We have already had a few. WOW! I hope I get into the FM residency and then the OB fellowship at UT. I don't ever want to move or buy another house again!:eek: I already contacted them to see what I had to do to get a spot there.:thumbup:

LOL! AWESOME!!! It is definitely one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been too. I can't believe that I am going to live in such a gorgeous area.:love:

I am sure that there will be plenty more suprise along the road to buying our house. We have already had a few. WOW! I hope I get into the FM residency and then the OB fellowship at UT. I don't ever want to move or buy another house again!:eek: I already contacted them to see what I had to do to get a spot there.:thumbup:

doctormom you are a hero...seriously. i so love the way you plan things out (can totally relate, must be a capricorn thing LMAO!!!:laugh: :laugh: ).
I will keep my fingers crossed for the house. I know it is never an easy thing to buy a house, very frustrating acctually. My bf is in the real estate business (his dad owns a firm) so i know how much cr@p is involved.
:luck: :luck: get a nice big house so we all can go for barbeques to you :D

doctormom you are a hero...seriously. i so love the way you plan things out (can totally relate, must be a capricorn thing LMAO!!!:laugh: :laugh: ).
I will keep my fingers crossed for the house. I know it is never an easy thing to buy a house, very frustrating acctually. My bf is in the real estate business (his dad owns a firm) so i know how much cr@p is involved.
:luck: :luck: get a nice big house so we all can go for barbeques to you :D

LOL! THANK YOU!!:D :love: It must be a capricorn thing. I am a total control freak as well and like to have everything planned out. When I want something, I go after it. Like for instance, the day I got the email about DCOM from AACOMAS, I immediately starting researching the school.This was on a Saturday. I decided that I was really interested in it and wanted to be the first person to apply and get accepted. I found the supplemental online and downloaded and completed it. I called on Monday and talked to Jody who had me fax it. They got my primary on Wednesday and I was called to interview the same day! YAY!!! I guess I wasn't the first, but I was definitely one of the early ones. It pays to be a go-getter!!! :thumbup: :D

Our house is a nice size. Plenty of room for BBQs! I better see you there!

LOL! THANK YOU!!:D :love: It must be a capricorn thing. I am a total control freak as well and like to have everything planned out. When I want something, I go after it. Like for instance, the day I got the email about DCOM from AACOMAS, I immediately starting researching the school.This was on a Saturday. I decided that I was really interested in it and wanted to be the first person to apply and get accepted. I found the supplemental online and downloaded and completed it. I called on Monday and talked to Jody who had me fax it. They got my primary on Wednesday and I was called to interview the same day! YAY!!! I guess I wasn't the first, but I was definitely one of the early ones. It pays to be a go-getter!!! :thumbup: :D

Our house is a nice size. Plenty of room for BBQs! I better see you there!

LOL...i am the same way. My bf goes nuts sometimes and just tells me "can't you just worry about it later"
But i can't...i have to have plan A, B, and D just in case. I hate to be surprized with something i wasn't expecting. And once i start doing something i HAVE to finish it. It's a little OCD :laugh:

I hope i will do ok on the MCR@P so you will give me a tour when i come for my interview:D

LOL...i am the same way. My bf goes nuts sometimes and just tells me "can't you just worry about it later"
But i can't...i have to have plan A, B, and D just in case. I hate to be surprized with something i wasn't expecting. And once i start doing something i HAVE to finish it. It's a little OCD :laugh:

I hope i will do ok on the MCR@P so you will give me a tour when i come for my interview:D

WORRY ABOUT IT LATER?!?!?! EEK!!! :scared: YEA, RIGHT!!!

LOL! I am sure you will be fine on the MCAT. :luck: I am looking forward to meeting you and giving you your tour.

I am totally OCD. I think that medicine attracts our type of personality. :thumbup: But, I definitely think it is a positive. I have had many people say to me in interviews and other similar situations that they liked the fact that I was assertive, confident, and a go-getter.:cool:

On the other hand, I took this personality test once that matched you with the famous person and movie that your personality was most like. Mine were Saddam Hussein and The Godfather!!!:laugh: :smuggrin: I guess if you ask my husband he would tell you I am a bit of a dictator around here. Thankfully that is balanced by my compassion for others.:rolleyes: I think that it is a good combination for a doctor.

I took this personality test once that matched you with the famous person and movie that your personality was most like. Mine were Saddam Hussein and The Godfather!!!:laugh: :smuggrin:

So, that BBQ we are having...is it safe? Or will Agent Orange and the Italian mob be after our medical degrees?

WORRY ABOUT IT LATER?!?!?! EEK!!! :scared: YEA, RIGHT!!!

LOL! I am sure you will be fine on the MCAT. :luck: I am looking forward to meeting you and giving you your tour.

I am totally OCD. I think that medicine attracts our type of personality. :thumbup: But, I definitely think it is a positive. I have had many people say to me in interviews and other similar situations that they liked the fact that I was assertive, confident, and a go-getter.:cool:

On the other hand, I took this personality test once that matched you with the famous person and movie that your personality was most like. Mine were Saddam Hussein and The Godfather!!!:laugh: :smuggrin: I guess if you ask my husband he would tell you I am a bit of a dictator around here. Thankfully that is balanced by my compassion for others.:rolleyes: I think that it is a good combination for a doctor.

LOL sounds strangly familiar:D
One thing that my bf says is that he admires the fact that i will just go and do something instead of whining about it for two weeks. If i get my mind set on something i want it here and now. It's anoying sometimes but i can't help it.
This is one of the reasons why i didn't like modeling (I need to be in control of the situation as much as possible otherwise i go kookoo).
I am quite stubborn too. Sometimes it helps though.

Lots of activity on this thread upon my return ... :laugh:

So, that BBQ we are having...is it safe? Or will Agent Orange and the Italian mob be after our medical degrees?
I think the worst you will have to put up with is my pregnant fiancee and myself. :laugh:

I think the worst you will have to put up with is my pregnant fiancee and myself. :laugh:

I believe your pregnant fiancee would trump all ... :laugh:

Oh, are you gonna have a goat DocMom? Is there a nearby flagpole too? :smuggrin:

Did you all get the email from Dr. Leo? The new gym and exercise room look great! :thumbup: He also explained that the apartments ARE NOT being rented out to non-LMU students. Things are coming along very nicely out there.

As for Halls and Maynardsville, they look like great places to live, but they are so far from school. It's not so much the 1+ hour commute, but the miles :eek: over 400 miles per week!!! That is a lot of gas. Yeah, you're really close for years 3 & 4, but a good distance away from DCOM. We'll definately look there, but would prefer something a little more between knoxville and DCOM.

I did get the e-mail. I agree! OVer 400 miles is too much for my truck (17 MPG).

Any racquetball players out there? There are some courts in Tazewell according to Mr. Leo

The mileage from Halls to Harrogate has us thinking of buying another car...

We'd then have two commuters and a truck..

Both vehicles paid for right now, so it's a tough decision.

LMAO!!! You will be fine! Promise!:laugh:

I don't know about the goat or not. I think I am just starting with the pony and the mare. You better stay away from my farm animals Dr. I!!!:laugh: :smuggrin:

Reminder, the date for the BBQ is August 4th....EVERYONE is invited!:thumbup:

I joined TOMA and SOMA! YAY! Are those the right names? LOL! Well, I joined. I am getting SOOO EXCITED!!! I want to move now! :love:

I got the email. The pinnacle is really incredible! You should all go and check it out. I am afraid of heights, but I still loved it and managed to get up enough courage to take some great pics!

The gas thing is awful. My husband and I both have SUVs because you need them up here because of the snow. We are thinking about trading in and getting cars.

We drove all over when we went to look for a house. I said this before, but I will say it again. I really think that Lafollette or Jacksboro is the best place to look for a place to live. The commute is not bad to Knoxville or Harrogate and there are plenty of places to shop there. You also could try somwhere in Kentucky and do the Kentucky rotations. I haven't heard of anyone fighting for Corbin yet. That might also be a good option.

A little familiar with the Oklahoma City area are we??
Maybe you're not from a 'bar room in Mombasa.'
;) Nah, I've just got a buddy who's a flight nurse in the OKC area and I have spent a fair amount of time there visiting him and other friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.