Corona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What am I missing here...?

How is one a national emergency and the other not?

Oh good golly... why don’t you fly into Lombardy Italy and ask that question. Take a stroll through their hospitals and see for yourself.

You need to let it go and accept reality. We have a real problem on our hands here...

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Oh good golly... why don’t you fly into Lombardy Italy and ask that question. Take a stroll through their hospitals and see for yourself.

You need to let it go and accept reality. We have a real problem on our hands here...
Yes, you made your point on not wanting to question the authority or anything else for that matter. I am not disagreeing nor in denial of facts. But I am genuinely curious. Seems like you like to keep shutting down questions you cannot answer. Just look at those numbers. The curve is leveling off in china and south korea.

If coronavirus is a pandemic and a national emergency, why isn't the flu being treated the same way when it affects and kills way more people?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Look, I can see that you're a strong believer of the media and what you're being told to do like a good puppet. Yes, you made your point on not wanting to question the authority or anything else for that matter. I am not disagreeing nor in denial of facts. But I am genuinely curious. Seems like you like to keep shutting down questions you cannot answer. Just look at those numbers. The curve is leveling off in china and south korea.

If coronavirus is a pandemic and a national emergency, why isn't the flu being treated the same way when it affects and kills way more people?

You should just take yourself, and your Alex Jones garbage, and smoke it cause I am done making very clear and educated arguments about how this is different than flu.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should just take yourself, and your Alex Jones garbage, and smoke it through your crack pipe cause I am done making very clear and educated arguments about how this is different than flu.
Ok... I honestly don't know much about Alex Jones other than he's in the news because of his loud mouth so why you're witch hunting me into being associated with him is beyond me. You do not have to condescend and educate me on anything. Im sure i'm just as smart if not smarter than you. And I can also read. Even though I'm not sure what facts you've shown to convince me otherwise... all you've done is just offend and accuse me of witchcraft which is fine i'll just be ignoring all your weird accusations from now on. Good day.

If anyone has anything real to answer my question, i'd appreciate it. thanks.

I would invite anyone, especially the op, to go back and read my posts from start to finish about how I made a reasonable proposal about how they are different.

If you want to call that a “witch hunt” and call me weird - that’s your own doing.

Post 86 is where it starts

Here is why coronavirus is worse than the flu, from what I assume is a trusted news source: Why Covid-19 is worse than the flu, in one chart

I actually think it is a little more psychological than that but there you go.
“Which is definitely a problem because the seasonal flu kills 30,000 to 60,000 Americans every year. And even if it’s the same case fatality rate of seasonal flu, that still presents a substantial public health burden.”

This is interesting... so going back to my question, I understand with no vaccine and this virus being fairly new it could be a concern but why is this considered a national emergency and a pandemic and the flu isn't if they're predicting the flu to have worse or similar numbers of sick/hospitalized/death? I don't think we have the flu under control either with that many people dying each year.

• Dislike
I would invite anyone, especially the op, to go back and read my posts from start to finish about how I made a reasonable proposal about how they are different.

If you want to call that a “witch hunt” and call me weird - that’s your own doing.

Post 86 is where it starts
...ummm... accusing me of alex jones follower when i don't even know who he is is called witch hunt. Me not agreeing with you or ignoring your opinion does not make me an alex jones follower.

...ummm... accusing me of alex jones follower when i don't even know who he is is called witch hunt. Me not agreeing with you or ignoring your opinion does not make me an alex jones follower.

Saying that I am a “puppet of the media” does not do you justice either..

Saying that I am pushing a “witch hunt,” and that I am a “puppet of the media” is bat**** crazy stuff compared to my point of view about Coronavirus and it’s impact on society.

That’s when I suspected the crackpipe...

Saying that I am a “puppet of the media” does not do you justice either..

Saying that I am pushing a “witch hunt,” and that I am a “puppet of the media” is bat**** crazy stuff compared to my point of view about Coronavirus and it’s impact on society.

That’s when I suspected the crackpipe...
Ok. You win. Can you stop now? thanks.

• Haha
People have gone into chaos thanks to the media sensationalizing over COVID. We hear about every minuscule detail of ONE death in a State that had zero. We hear from this "expert of epidemiology" spreading fear telling us theoretical negativity about how it will worsen. Of course the government must intervene and calm us down by coming up with these "protection procedures and shelter-ins."

The flu does not get this much attention and it is way worse than COVID. I blame the media.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 3 users

You guys should go join the party. Looks super high class. I’ll bet these guys think the flu is worse too.

You guys should go join the party. Looks super high class

Were you bullied as a child or something? Let it go man. This is not even relevant to the topic anymore. You're just trashing this post now.

Mod?

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
JustFillIt bought into the media fear- this person cannot be helped.

• Okay...
I encourage you to respect the gravity of everything that is happening around you.

• Dislike
You guys are either very immature, or just downright ignorant.

In either case - I encourage you to respect the gravity of everything that is happening around you.
Literally nothing is happening around me. No single soul has died due to this virus that i know of. No one is even sick. Like zero. I live in north texas, there were 160 confirmed cases in texas so far. There are more deaths in auto accidents, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, hiv and that good ol influenza in texas.

By the logic that has caused this national lockdown, shouldnt we quarantine people for driving? Lol

Also, did you even watch the video i posted?

Literally nothing is happening around me. No single soul has died due to this virus that i know of. No one is even sick. Like zero. I live in north texas, there were 160 confirmed cases in texas so far. There are more deaths in auto accidents, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, hiv and that good ol influenza in texas.

By the logic that has caused this national lockdown, shouldnt we quarantine people for driving? Lol

Also, did you even watch the video i posted?

I actually did - it was a great video and a respectable point of view.

However in a situation like this I feel it is best to think for myself.

Last edited:
I've had two out of 6 confirmed patients die today.

• Sad
I actually did - it was a great video and a respectable point of view.

However in a situation like this I feel it is best to think for myself.
Good for you. So does everyone else. Therefore I think that, based on reliable sources such as the virologist in the video, nationwide panic is a joke.

I just want to say - I sure hope that you are right. Because I have 5 upset children that are living through times that I could only compare to (in my time) 9/11.

I hope to hell that your right - because I want my family to stay safe and happy for years to come.

There is something happening in the world today and I have nothing but concern on many levels right now. If you are right, and I end up being an a$$hole puppet of the media and this all blows over. I’m going to thank my lucky stars because right now I don’t know what to expect. But one thing I know for sure is each day brings me one day closer to finding out for myself.

A healthy sense of vigilance, and preparedness, is appropriate right now. I’m not letting anything take me off guard. But what do I know - I am just a backwards hick that lives in the mountains of the NW

Last edited:
  • Love
Where are you located?

Georgia. We only began getting confirmations today. Part of the problem is the length of time it takes to get tested. In geriatric or unhealthy patients, they decompensate very quickly and are either dead or in acute respiratory distress. We can begin treatment for unconfirmed but suspected cases, but it'll eventually lead to low inventories for patients that do need it.

Given that this is a hot topic (and actually very interesting to read with the different opinions) I urge users to keeps some level of civility when engaging with others.

That being said, my area in the NW also has people quarantined in medical centers right outside my program which (needless to say) has sparked the syllabus to cancel any remaining IPPEs I have this semester and pending action on what to do with the Health-System IPPE over the summer before going into my last year of class-work. Needless to say, the community has pretty much put themselves on lock-down. Since my kids are at home all day now at least I get to catch up a little on hanging out with them (albeit my mental focus is now on these online exams that are coming up and literally teaching myself from books / slides for each block).

According to this data, the fatality rate of COVID-19 is between 6 and 25 times higher than season influenza.

There have been about 19 million flu cases this season so far.

Now go and infect that number of people with COVID-19.

Last edited:
In the apocalypse you don't want to be on any ****

Went to Walmart for a video game and then my local grocer just now. Both had aisles full of toilet paper. Bottled water, too. And nobody was really picking any up more than what I would think was the usual. I think the supply chain has answered the call.

Oddly, I now can't find any Powerade Zero. I has to settle for Gatorade Zero. Which tastes like ass in comparison. But, hey, it's a national crisis, I get it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
For those who work in hospital/retail, has your company adjusted sick days/pay? CVS hasn't really done anything besides say you get two weeks off only if test positive (convenient for them how the US has a shortage). I'm especially concerned because I live with someone who is immunocompromised and has respiratory issues.

And to others who aren't taking this seriously, at the beginning of this month, Italy gave warnings too. However, their population still decided to go out to bars, clubs, etc. They locked down on 3/9. In the just the last 24 hours they had close to 800 people die - one can argue they locked down too late, we're practically in the same position. New York is already on their way with hospital staff getting infected and doctors concerned about overflow - our infrastructure simply does not have the capacity. Our numbers are also way higher than reported because again, lack of testing. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 1-4%, Italy is currently projecting double that. Are you just going to wait for 50 million people to be infected and have at least 500k people die to say "Oops, my bad. I guess it is worse than the flu." The point is to be proactive rather than reactive or else we'll be in Italy's position in 3 weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who work in hospital/retail, has your company adjusted sick days/pay?

Drug store chains, grocery chains, and mass merchandisers are a joke. How you gonna prove you're positive?

Walmart spitting out those cash bonuses though. Up to $300 a pop

Went to Walmart for a video game and then my local grocer just now. Both had aisles full of toilet paper. Bottled water, too. And nobody was really picking any up more than what I would think was the usual. I think the supply chain has answered the call.

Oddly, I now can't find any Powerade Zero. I has to settle for Gatorade Zero. Which tastes like ass in comparison. But, hey, it's a national crisis, I get it.

The important question, in a time of national emergency, is: What game did you buy?

Bought the new Zelda from a few years back and Animal Crossing.

Gotcha - my kids are playing both of those right now.

I bought the new Final Fantasy VII remake and it is absolutely amazing.

• Love
i'm copying and pasting this from a diff thread i posted on. not to add to mass hysteria and doomsday sentiment or anything. just wanna know if others feel similar to me or how rational i'm thinking about this. of course, every day rational thinking changes. it changes every hour.

i'm worried some/a lot of pharmacies will close or go to way shortened hours. i mean why not just have all pharmacies be 1 rph 9-5 during these shutdowns. and then when this is all over, why would most ever extend their hours again back to 9-9/2 rph day (at least for a while to deal with economy revving back up/recession)?

the only glimmer of hope for more pharmacist demand FROM this would be when the vaccine rolls out.

as of right now i have full time working at 9-9 pharmacies, even picked up 4 hours of OT yesterday. I guess i'm working while i feel healthy and saving/earning more PTO for an even rainier day (like we were all doing before covid anyway )

What am I missing here...?

How is one a national emergency and the other not?

Not that I disagree but how many new cases of flu have there been this month?

I do agree though, none of this should be happening

i'm copying and pasting this from a diff thread i posted on. not to add to mass hysteria and doomsday sentiment or anything. just wanna know if others feel similar to me or how rational i'm thinking about this. of course, every day rational thinking changes. it changes every hour.

i'm worried some/a lot of pharmacies will close or go to way shortened hours. i mean why not just have all pharmacies be 1 rph 9-5 during these shutdowns. and then when this is all over, why would most ever extend their hours again back to 9-9/2 rph day (at least for a while to deal with economy revving back up/recession)?

the only glimmer of hope for more pharmacist demand FROM this would be when the vaccine rolls out.

as of right now i have full time working at 9-9 pharmacies, even picked up 4 hours of OT yesterday. I guess i'm working while i feel healthy and saving/earning more PTO for an even rainier day (like we were all doing before covid anyway )

Because people work normally from 9 to 5.

That is the only reason

Now if you want to do 8 to 6:30. That's more understandable.

Are pharmacies that didn't offer local delivery services now starting to do so? Are pharmacies that have delivery services in place already getting an increase in transfers/business?

I want to make an informative opinion:
Mortality Rate Appears Higher Due to Selective Testing Criteria In Response to the Shortage of Testing Kits

Because people work normally from 9 to 5.

That is the only reason

Now if you want to do 8 to 6:30. That's more understandable.

then might as well be 10:30-6:30 to avoid overtime pay for the day

Are pharmacies that didn't offer local delivery services now starting to do so? Are pharmacies that have delivery services in place already getting an increase in transfers/business?

Mine isn't, and I haven't really seen an uptick in transfers out to the local independent that does. People are still packing the store as if nothing's happening. It's only a little less crowded than usual.

“Which is definitely a problem because the seasonal flu kills 30,000 to 60,000 Americans every year. And even if it’s the same case fatality rate of seasonal flu, that still presents a substantial public health burden.”

This is interesting... so going back to my question, I understand with no vaccine and this virus being fairly new it could be a concern but why is this considered a national emergency and a pandemic and the flu isn't if they're predicting the flu to have worse or similar numbers of sick/hospitalized/death? I don't think we have the flu under control either with that many people dying each year.

I don't want to downplay CoVID, but I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I've been asking these questions myself and it's not a popular position. If the death toll for CoVID ends up coming in south of our recent flu season, there are going to be some serious questions about if we handled this correctly. It sounds cold to set an "acceptable level" of death for a pandemic, but we do it every year by not shutting down the country for flu season.

I'm not calling it a hoax or conspiracy or any of that, but I do think it's smart to ask the question is it all worth it. The economic impact of what we've done will be astronomical.

Hospitals, clinics, and retail pharmacies are already strained by an influx of seasonal flu each year. Just wait COVID-19 peaks and we run out of PPE and ventilators while more healthcare personnel fall ill.

We only need to see what has happened in Hubei, China and Lombardy, Italy to see what is yet to come. There is word that one hospital in NYC is already running out of ventilators for the critically ill.

• Sad
Well I'm in NYC and for the most part, people working in most pharmacies already are out mask. People will argue with workers don't need mask but if you've been in the low income neighborhood pharmacies I worked out, the patients do NOT know how to wait. They literally just stand right next to the registers and will literally face you when sneezing or coughing just because their meds aren't ready immediately.

That being said, seasonal flu rates are also over-reported for the most part. I know doctors here pretty much write for a ZPak + Tamiflu script for everyone who comes in with cold symptoms during flu season with a "on hold" sig on the tamiflu telling the patient to use if symptoms get worse. Of course, very few of those actually have the flu but the mds have to put in a diagnosis of flu to send in the script.

There is a lot of incomplete and estimated numbers out there. Flu shot numbers are also estimates. They don't swab every possible flu patient. There are incomplete totals on coronavirus too. In both cases, plenty of people don't go to the hospitals and there are many unreported deaths. Numbers aside, I just don't recall field hospitals and equipment shortage during flu shot outbreaks.

I do agree that we need more info on underreported coronavirus cases. Why didn't someone do a study and check large group of general population in Wuhan and Hong Kong lets say for presence of antibodies. It seems a lot cheaper than a stimulus package.

Also, right now it looks like a big city problem... NYC, Seattle, SF, Chicago. It could remain that way or it might not. Population density is very low outside of big cities in US. In many sub 100k towns, there is natural social distancing already. It will help. I am just curious how opinions are shaped by location of where we live.

I am not buying the “unreported cases” argument. Is there anyone anywhere who would not get checked out if they are feeling ill right now? Maybe during a regular flu season but not right now would be my guess. I just don’t buy that it would be a statistically significant number on the population level.

If I feel ill, I'll pop my HCQ + AZT combo after getting a confirmation. Heck, some of us might be infected and not know it...

Last edited: