Corona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like the case here in florida. A whole bunch of healthcare workers, including the leading ID doc, got quarantined for 14 days after their patient is confirmed with the coronavirus. Which got me thinking if this is what happens everytime someone is diagnosed, who else is left to take care of patients?
They keep saying young and healthy people will only suffer minor case,
but the first doctor who died in China was only 38 years old from what I remember.

Hopefully everybody stays safe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok since this thing has gotten waaay out of hand, I feel like some jokes are in order to lighten the mood about the whole situation/shed light on the absurdity:
1583601375632.png

My take on the situation (quite entertaining in the retail/community setting lately with all the absurd chaos/panic):
1583602823016.png

Last edited:
but the first doctor who died in China was only 38 years old from what I remember.

To me the people that are coming out and saying “this is no worse than ____”. These are people making a bet and simply trying to make it look like they know what they are talking about. The same can be said about anyone saying “everyone is going to die”.

It’s attention whoring and simply acting like you know something that others don’t. It’s also a pride thing..

Anyways - we live in a world where the only way we will see the truth is to give it time and let it play out. As to if we are all going to die in a whirlwind of toilet paper panic and respiratory illness - we don’t know - but I promise that we will all find out in the near future (month or two probably).

I bought a bunch of Costco stock, and airline stock, that I am planning on holding for 6 months or so.. Hopefully this tells you what my gut says. However - I totally accept that I could be entirely wrong.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok since this thing has gotten waaay out of hand, I feel like some jokes are in order to lighten the mood about the whole situation/shed light on the absurdity:
View attachment 297842

My take on the situation (quite entertaining in the retail/community setting lately with all the absurd chaos/panic):
View attachment 297844

Me:
Also me: I just wanna watch the world burn...

Reactions: 1 user
Me:
Also me: I just wanna watch the world burn...

Have you ever seen the movie, “the road”?

Sometimes we all are frustrated with the system in general and feel like it would be nice to drop a moon sized meteor right in the middle of the mess..

However, if we ever found ourselves in a position where we “watched the world burn”, we will quickly miss the days when things were the way they are now.

• Love
Anyone who works for Big RED has nothing to fear...survival tactics have taught us well that register tape has many uses including substitution as toilet paper (seriously had one customer make this genius joke to me one day @ drive through, laughed my @$$ off)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 297907
The madness...next people blowing up condoms and proceeding the wrap around head...the "logic"...sterility...><. Bravo media, you've truly outdone yourselves this time

I was looking for a reason to justify this. My dream has come true.

• Haha
I mean - let’s be honest... Has anyone ever really found a good use for condoms anyway... Amirite’??!!

Hahaha!!!

1583691114778.gif

Last edited:
We will all have 2-4 weeks forced vacation this yr. It only takes 1 infected for the whole building to be quarantined.

If I were a patient at this location, I would not be picking up meds there for at least a week. Some viruses do last several days on hard surfaces >_>;

Last edited:
I'm going to start calling it the boomervirus. It's ACE(2)

• Haha
I just witnessed a Lord of the Flies situation at BJ's Wholesale Club. They put out a pallet of those knockoff BJ's brand Clorox wipes. It looked like Black Friday, man. It was comical. People grabbing entire cases of them and throwing them into their carts.

I just bought a 40 pack of water I came in for and tried to avoid the mob.

People are freaking crazy, man.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just witnessed a Lord of the Flies situation at BJ's Wholesale Club. They put out a pallet of those knockoff BJ's brand Clorox wipes. It looked like Black Friday, man. It was comical. People grabbing entire cases of them and throwing them into their carts.

I just bought a 40 pack of water I came in for and tried to avoid the mob.

People are freaking crazy, man.

This is what it looked like when I was at Costco last week. I would describe it more of a World War Z type situation. At least in Lord if the Flies they maintained order at the start - it took them a while to loose humanity.

This situation has not even developed yet. It really shows an underlining urge in our society to outdo each other - or to be in a position that you have the upper hand.

Everywhere is running out of water. Somehow Walmart finds a way to restock them, proud of my neighborhood Walmart.

Why are people buying so much water? Does this virus cause dehydration or something?

• Haha
I guess the virus clogs up your water faucet and you can't get your cheap, clean public water anymore. Makes complete sense to stock up on bottled water.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I heard air causes mutation in coronavirus. It transforms into DosEquisvirus, which is a much better virus.

• Haha
So you just bought... air?

It’s an emergency thing. You just add water. I got a whole pallet of it. I had to punch some crazy Aussie in the face to get it.

But I’m all stocked up now. At least a 6 month supply

• Haha
"In this time of public uncertainty and fear brought on by COVID-19, it is especially important for pharmacists to be seen as leaders and advocates for our patients, so APhA has no intention of canceling APhA2020 at this time."

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. smdh.

So instead of being proactive and avoiding unnecessary risks of exposure, APhA2020 is going to continue because pROfEssIoNaL deVeLOpMeNt?! How the heck are pharmacists going to be able to "advocate for patients" when they all get COVID-19 after going to this conference?

It’s an emergency thing. You just add water. I got a whole pallet of it. I had to punch some crazy Aussie in the face to get it.
So basically an empty bottle eh? Man, I need to start selling these. I remember my friends selling air from Canada to china. Dehydrated water might be a better idea.

• Haha
"In this time of public uncertainty and fear brought on by COVID-19, it is especially important for pharmacists to be seen as leaders and advocates for our patients, so APhA has no intention of canceling APhA2020 at this time."

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. smdh.

So instead of being proactive and avoiding unnecessary risks of exposure, APhA2020 is going to continue because pROfEssIoNaL deVeLOpMeNt?! How the heck are pharmacists going to be able to "advocate for patients" when they all get COVID-19 after going to this conference?

Your logic does not fit their budget.

****, a whole bunch of companies skipped PAX East 2020 (including Japanese companies). PAX is a (video) gaming convention.

Yet the self important asses at APhA won't cancel their event.

****, a whole bunch of companies skipped PAX East 2020 (including Japanese companies). PAX is a (video) gaming convention.

I guess it’s their way of fighting the pharmacist saturation.

Sick/quarantined pharmacists can’t work so there will be more demand for pharmacists.

• Haha

Last edited:

Biogen didn't cancel theirs either.

The original whistleblower was 34 and there was also a 29 year old. Conspiracy theorist say China killed them for whistleblowing.

This article says they were more at risk because of early exposure:

People are buying stuffs so they don`t have to go out buy stuffs and expose themselves often to public environment.

I tell people to create a time machine and violate laws of physics to go back 2 months in time so they can get their masks and hand sanitizer for cheap

• Haha
I tell people to create a time machine and violate laws of physics to go back 2 months in time so they can get their masks and hand sanitizer for cheap

Never thought of this. This one way to do it..

However, those in tune with reality may view this as an exacerbation if schizophrenia, or something along those lines.. :rofl:

Coronavirus number probably had gone up by now but if WHO declares a crisis over this, shouldn't we be in an apocalyptic state with the flu? lol

AA9121FD-CBCA-4E50-9943-DD29DA9995EE.jpeg

• Haha
  • Hmm
Coronavirus number probably had gone up by now but if WHO declares a crisis over this, shouldn't we be in an apocalyptic state with the flu? lol

View attachment 298176

I am not an alarmist - l did not buy 7000 rolls of toilet paper or anything like that. But I do want to caution anyone who make a flu/coronavirus comparison as I do not find it relevant at all.

The reason why I do not see any relevance in this comparison is because the corona virus is “novel” - or in other words, “new”. The corona virus has not matured yet. This means it could be much worse, or it could be much better. The simple fact is, we do not know how it will develops and the impact it will have.

I think of this like comparisons we make in statistics. We do not have enough data yet (we would need several years of data where we closely monitored the viruses behavior and outcomes) to make a statistically significant comparison.

Or in laymen’s terms - we really are comparing apples to oranges by making that comparison.

In any case - I have my pallet of dehydrated water at the ready in my fallout bunker so I’m good either way.

I agree. We can argue about underreporting of mild cases and other factors but my math shows fatality rate of 6.6% in Italy right now. I doubt they ever experienced such high numbers with a flu.

I am not an alarmist - l did not buy 7000 rolls of toilet paper or anything like that. But I do want to caution anyone who make a flu/coronavirus comparison as I do not find it relevant at all.

The reason why I do not see any relevance in this comparison is because the corona virus is “novel” - or in other words, “new”. The corona virus has not matured yet. This means it could be much worse, or it could be much better. The simple fact is, we do not know how it will develops and the impact it will have.

I think of this like comparisons we make in statistics. We do not have enough data yet (we would need several years of data where we closely monitored the viruses behavior and outcomes) to make a statistically significant comparison.

Or in laymen’s terms - we really are comparing apples to oranges by making that comparison.

In any case - I have my pallet of dehydrated water at the ready in my fallout bunker so I’m good either way.
The flu number would be much higher without the vaccines. All things considered, coronavirus has not shown any signs of danger for mass population other than media and government blowing it up. I could see how people should be cautious in general since who wants to get sick but this is just stupid. People fighting for toilet papers and water? seriously... now that they declared what probably will sound like the end of the world to the rest of the general population, chaos is going to be way worse than it should be... #newworldorder

The flu number would be much higher without the vaccines. All things considered, coronavirus has not shown any signs of danger for mass population other than media and government blowing it up. I could see how people should be cautious in general since who wants to get sick but this is just stupid. People fighting for toilet papers and water? seriously... now that they declared what probably will sound like the end of the world to the rest of the general population, chaos is going to be way worse than it should be... #newworldorder
Wait a month, we will be at 10k+ cases in the US. We are just getting started here.

Wait a month, we will be at 10k+ cases in the US. We are just getting started here.
Yes, I'm sure it will. I don't doubt that. It is a respiratory virus but I still don't know why people are panicking about this but not the flu...

Yes, I'm sure it will. I don't doubt that. It is a respiratory virus but I still don't know why people are panicking about this but not the flu...
10x more mortality and the impact it has on economy. 20%-30% stock drop is justified.

I will answer this question - the reason to be highly concerned (not panicked) and prepared are the following reasons:

1.) we do not know what the outcomes will look like when the virus matures in the population (see my above post).

2.) We have a highly effective vaccine against the flu and centuries of medical experience with the flu to combat it. We have about 6 weeks of experience with Covid-19

3.) We do not have a vaccine, or well established methods to combat COVID-19

4.) Because we do not have a vaccine or a guideline approach to covid - the risk of our health care system being overwhelmed is high.

This is logical reasoning here. Don’t forget that we are men/women who have mastered the broad concepts f science. We should not be approaching this from a low level like those who are not educated on science.

I am not panicked, but I am also not at ease with this either. I have decided to let time reveal the truth and to cover all my bases and protect my family from what may, or may not, come to pass. It’s a very weird time right now - and the simple truth is, this may go either way, or somewhere in between.

We have all bought the ticket, now we get to take the ride - and we just went high speed into a dark tunnel where when we emerge into the light -we all get to see for ourselves what is waiting in store for us.

10x more mortality and the impact it has on economy. 20%-30% stock drop is justified.
The economic impact due to world wide panic is created by the governments and the media. So obvious and clear. You can't compare the mortality rate until it catches up to the flu numbers. That's like saying John Salley is a better player than Vince Carter just based on number of rings lol

• Haha
I will answer this question - the reason to be highly concerned (not panicked) and prepared are the following reasons:

1.) we do not know what the outcomes will look like when the virus matures in the population (see my above post).

2.) We have a highly effective vaccine against the flu and centuries of medical experience with the flu to combat it. We have about 6 weeks of experience with Covid-19

3.) We do not have a vaccine, or well established methods to combat COVID-19

4.) Because we do not have a vaccine or a guideline approach to covid - the risk of our health care system being overwhelmed is high.

This is logical reasoning here. Don’t forget that we are men/women who have mastered the broad concepts f science. We should not be approaching this from a low level like those who are not educated on science.

I am not panicked, but I am also not at ease with this either. I have decided to let time reveal the truth and to cover all my bases and protect my family from what may, or may not, come to pass. It’s a very weird time right now - and the simple truth is, this may go either way, or somewhere in between.

We have all bought the ticket, now we get to take the ride - and we just went high speed into a dark tunnel where when we emerge into the light -we all get to see for ourselves what is waiting in store for us.
I will counter by saying... let's let this marinate a little and revisit in about 2-3 months. If history tells us anything, I am sure we will be fine.

• Dislike
  • Haha
They are trying to avoid history of what happened with the Spanish flu. That is the one you should be comparing Coronavirus to.

They are trying to avoid history of what happened with the Spanish flu. That is the one you should be comparing Coronavirus to.
"The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but still, 92% of deaths occurred in people under 65."

Corona is affecting different demographic. Also, it was in 1920's. Not sure if we can compare.

I will counter by saying... let's let this marinate a little and revisit in about 2-3 months. If history tells us anything, I am sure we will be fine.

Yes - I agree with this 100%.. Time will reveal the truth. It could be bad, it could be good, or anywhere in between. But it is not right to diminish the argument on either side

There are parts of the world where it is getting really ugly.. Italy and Iran to say a couple. It frightens me to think what it’s like living in a society where only pharmacies, hospitals,and grocery stores are open to the general public - because that is what’s happening in a population of millions right now.

And another point of interest - only pharmacies are open.... This should really catch our attention.

Last edited:
"The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but still, 92% of deaths occurred in people under 65."

Corona is affecting different demographic. Also, it was in 1920's. Not sure if we can compare.

Yes. Demographics are different but it doesn't change the fact that people are going to die if you do nothing. So you just want to isolate older people somewhere?

Why can't we compare 1920s? There was no treatment and it was very contagious which is a scenario we are facing right now. You are picking convenient example of a seasonal flu which goes away in the spring. Health agencies and government have to look at worst case outcomes.

Yes. Demographics are different but it doesn't change the fact that people are going to die if you do nothing. So you just want to isolate older people somewhere?

Why can't we compare 1920s? There was no treatment and it was very contagious which is a scenario we are facing right now. You are picking convenient example of a seasonal flu which goes away in the spring. Health agencies and government have to look at worst case outcomes.
How many people died so far to justify this worldwide panic?

1920's were 100 years ago, medicine has improved since?

Why are we isolating older people? I suppose we could since they're the most vulnerable.

No treatment? does the flu have a treatment? last i checked, it does not.

This is very similar to the flu, no? flu is very contagious. they're both respiratory virus with similar symptoms. flu is seasonal b/c people tend to stay indoors during winter... is what I learned at least... which is the case for coronavirus. mortality rate on geriatric patients on both are very high. only difference is that conorna hasn't affected younger kids that are 10 or younger so far.

As I said, it's just funny to see people panicking on this since death rates on other things like auto accidents, cancer, gun shots and the flu are much worse.

• Okay...
It is estimated that 50-70% of the population could get infected. At even 1% mortality rate for US that would be
330,000,000 × 0.5 × 0.01 = 1,650,000.

Edit to fix my math. Thank you

Last edited:
How many people died so far to justify this worldwide panic?

1920's were 100 years ago, medicine has improved since?

Why are we isolating older people? I suppose we could since they're the most vulnerable.

No treatment? does the flu have a treatment? last i checked, it does not.

This is very similar to the flu, no? flu is very contagious. they're both respiratory virus with similar symptoms. flu is seasonal b/c people tend to stay indoors during winter... is what I learned at least... which is the case for coronavirus. mortality rate on geriatric patients on both are very high. only difference is that conorna hasn't affected younger kids that are 10 or younger so far.

As I said, it's just funny to see people panicking on this since death rates on other things like auto accidents, cancer, gun shots and the flu are much worse.

No - it is not similar to the flu at all. They are entirely different entities! We can surely expect very different outcomes even if the symptoms are the same!

Both viruses (influenza and covid) have a very specific function that takes place in the body (don’t forget that virus are not living, they execute a molecular machine type function and multiply in the process) and they will impact cells/processes in the body differently. Thus - we can expect different outcomes....

Come on - we need to rise above the silliness and act with some sort of authority on the subject.

Be objective! We can not compare covid to ANY other virus, or any other outbreak - simply due to the fact that we don’t have the data to compare!

Leave the influenza comparisons at the door because that’s straight up bush league.