COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going to ask my roomies, but I think we could probably BBQ at my place? Once I move down?
There's supposedly a kick-ass pool and BBQ area for the condo.
But this is all speculation, since I have yet to see the place (or um, meet my roomates for that matter)

Let me get down there, scope it out, and I'm thinking we can have a shin-dig there before the 9th?
I mean honestly, what's a weekend? It's not like we have anything to do on the weekdays before orientation. :)

Members don't see this ad.

emeraldcity said:
there's talk and speculation about the beach and/or a BBQ once we all get down. Sometime, possibly the weekend before orientation?
count me in, i am moving down on the 5th of August...

emeraldcity said:
*haha* hey Harley!
Glad to hear your gf is coming with you!

yes. Junkster and I figured oh, about half way thru our postings that uh- we should probably not take over the thread. ;)

Bollucks to Germany. I reeeeeeally wanted Argentina to win.

Me too...if my team is going to suck, I have to root for whatever American teams remain.

Actually, GF is not moving down...she'll be helping me move, but we are doing the long distance thing for at least the first year. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
JakeHarley said:
Me too...if my team is going to suck, I have to root for whatever American teams remain.

Actually, GF is not moving down...she'll be helping me move, but we are doing the long distance thing for at least the first year. :oops:

AMEN brother.
I mean, dear GOD. I have 2 teams for crying out loud. Now I suppose it's just rooting for the underdog. go Ukraine!?

good luck to you and your gf. It'll work out for you guys! Seattle/LA is a MUCH better long distance than Seattle/Philly... :)

emeraldcity said:
I mean honestly, what's a weekend? It's not like we have anything to do on the weekdays before orientation. :)

I'm going to start studying for classes... matter of fact, maybe the COMLEX/USMLE before orientation. :laugh:

Junkster said:
I'm going to start studying for classes... matter of fact, maybe the COMLEX/USMLE before orientation. :laugh:

Damn You.
I wanted to be the gunner.

Question...

Where is everyone getting their GradPlus loan through? Seems like everyone is suggesting T.H.E. The school website prefers Chase. I have an account already with Citibank.

emeraldcity said:
Damn You.
I wanted to be the gunner.

I'm not a gunner I'm a sniper ( as read on SDN somewhere) :)

Junkster said:
Question...

Where is everyone getting their GradPlus loan through? Seems like everyone is suggesting T.H.E. The school website prefers Chase. I have an account already with Citibank.

If you plan on consolidating later, once you graduate, it really doesn't matter too much.
I went with citibank, because my grad school loans are thru them. easy. :)

emeraldcity said:
If you plan on consolidating later, once you graduate, it really doesn't matter too much.
I went with citibank, because my grad school loans are thru them. easy. :)

I guess I'll call up citibank then.

Junkster said:
Question...

Little confused here. So are we supposed to go to the Chase website and actually go thru the steps of "Apply Online" ? Just want to make sure that I'm not applying for something that I dont have to. I have a graduate loan already as well with CitiBank, would it make any difference if I went thru Chase now? Or should I go thru CitiBank again? Info would be very grateful!

Hey, does anyone else not have any idea where their immunization records are?

Is there anyway to get around it?

Flyfisher said:
Hey, does anyone else not have any idea where their immunization records are?

Is there anyway to get around it?

I was lucky to have all my papers from childhood, but I have a suggestion: Try contacting your undergraduate university to see if they still have your proof of immunizations on file. I know that I was required to present that before attending my own uni.

If that doesn't work, you could have titers drawn for everything, right?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, do any of you have the time and location of the ice cream social on August 10th? I can't find the letter I received about it. Specifically, I need to know when it gets over with and if its required.

How about the white coat ceremony?

Thanks!

Red Beard said:
Hey, do any of you have the time and location of the ice cream social on August 10th? I can't find the letter I received about it. Specifically, I need to know when it gets over with and if its required.

How about the white coat ceremony?

Thanks!

White Coat ceremony is required, Ice Cream social is optional

For the White Coat ceremony information:
http://www.westernu.edu/bin/students/student_orientation/university_orientation.pdf

Ice Cream social is from 5:30pm-7:30pm on the 10th at the President's House:
http://www.westernu.edu/bin/students/student_orientation/comp_orientation.pdf

uwalum said:
Little confused here. So are we supposed to go to the Chase website and actually go thru the steps of "Apply Online" ? Just want to make sure that I'm not applying for something that I dont have to. I have a graduate loan already as well with CitiBank, would it make any difference if I went thru Chase now? Or should I go thru CitiBank again? Info would be very grateful!

I recieved an email from the financial aid office that seems to indicate that I need to contact a lender to get approved for the Grad Plus Loan. So, I'm thinking that I need to apply through a lender like Chase or Citibank or whomever to get it all sorted.

Maybe I'll call tommorow morning when I'm at work... and my alcohol intake wears off... and the coffee kicks in. And I remember.

I consolidated with Citibank, so that's why I'm thinking of going with them, although I think it won't matter if it's being consolidated later, as emeraldcity has said.

Junkster said:
I recieved an email from the financial aid office that seems to indicate that I need to contact a lender to get approved for the Grad Plus Loan. So, I'm thinking that I need to apply through a lender like Chase or Citibank or whomever to get it all sorted.

Maybe I'll call tommorow morning when I'm at work... and my alcohol intake wears off... and the coffee kicks in. And I remember.

I consolidated with Citibank, so that's why I'm thinking of going with them, although I think it won't matter if it's being consolidated later, as emeraldcity has said.

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just go thru Chase then. Can't believe I'll be living in SoCal in less then 4 weeks....crazy.

uwalum said:
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just go thru Chase then. Can't believe I'll be living in SoCal in less then 4 weeks....crazy.

am I the only one freaked out about Cali?
something about LA LA land scares me...
I think I'm already having rain withdrawl. :p

I'm not a huge fan of LA, to be truly honest.

Fortunately, we aren't going to be in LA :D

Seriously though, I felt the same way for a long time, but now I am looking at the bright side of things:

1) Summer isn't going to end for me for the next two years;

2) The surfing is good;

3) The rock climbing is excellent;

4) You guys sound like good people;

5) LA (the city) has a lot of fantastic art and cultural events;

6) I don't ever have to go into LA if I don't want to;

7) Claremont (where my apartment is) is very much my speed--slooooowwwwwwww.....

Do any of those help?

BTW, I'm going to be down on the 7th: BBQ time.

Red Beard said:
Fortunately, we aren't going to be in LA :D

Seriously though, I felt the same way for a long time, but now I am looking at the bright side of things:

1) Summer isn't going to end for me for the next two years;
2) The surfing is good;
3) The rock climbing is excellent;
4) You guys sound like good people;
5) LA (the city) has a lot of fantastic art and cultural events;
6) I don't ever have to go into LA if I don't want to;
7) Claremont (where my apartment is) is very much my speed--slooooowwwwwwww.....
Do any of those help?

BTW, I'm going to be down on the 7th: BBQ time.

OKay, so maybe it won't be so bad. and you are right. I think our class is going to kick-ass. :D
I'm pretty sure we can have the BBQ at my place? I'm just going to double check and make sure my roomies don't have exams or anything that week.
I'm thinking the 7th or the 8th? We might just have to do LOTS of BBQ thru out the school year.
so I will iron out the details, and set up plans once we get closer to the date?

IRON OUT THE DETAILS!!! :D

Sorry, but all this paperwork for school, apartment, money issue, move, finishing up at work, packing...

I'm going nuts.

Anyone else losing their mind yet?

Junkster said:
IRON OUT THE DETAILS!!! :D

Sorry, but all this paperwork for school, apartment, money issue, move, finishing up at work, packing...

I'm going nuts.

Anyone else losing their mind yet?

Tomorrow is my last day for work. then I have 3 weeks to play until I drop.
*WHOO HOO!*

But I do just want things to start... never fun being in limbo. :)

Does anybody know what our schedule is going to be like for the first semester?

FYI everybody, I went thru the application process for my Grad Plus Loan yesterday thru our school's website and received my promissory note today and realized the they were going to charge me a 10.5% fee! And our school's website states that it was supposed to be only 3%. I called our finacial aid office and Ed told me to NOT accept the loan yet until he figures out what's going on. Damn banks, those sneaky #$#@$#@$!

PS. What area is everyone planning on living in? I cant decide between a 1BD condo in Claremont ($1050) or a 2 BD house that is 4 blocks from school ($1000 and post-test bbq/drinking local!). Any suggestions or advice?

Can't wait to hang out in Socal with everyone.

I recieved an email on my western account to hold off till next week to apply for my GradPlus loan, due to some problem I didn't comprehend.

I opted to live in Promenade Lofts on second street, for $1000 a month, a block away from the school. I'm a classroom-oriented person, not a big fan of morning commutes, and not a 'burb person.

Seems like everyone is all over the area.

Junkster said:
I recieved an email on my western account to hold off till next week to apply for my GradPlus loan, due to some problem I didn't comprehend.

I opted to live in Promenade Lofts on second street, for $1000 a month, a block away from the school. I'm a classroom-oriented person, not a big fan of morning commutes, and not a 'burb person.

Seems like everyone is all over the area.

Didn't know those even existed. They seem pretty nice. You know if there are any left? Did you get a studio?

EDIT: Actually I just called them and said they might have one available in Aug. So did you actually go see these studios? Are they nice? Are you utilities included in the rent? Is there laundry? Can you hook me up with as much info as you can? Thanks dude, Sam.

uwalum said:
Didn't know those even existed. They seem pretty nice. You know if there are any left? Did you get a studio?

I believe they might have one left. Call Jason Abboud at 949-463-7653 to check. They are lofts, so just long and narrow studios.

There are also some lofts a bit further down from the campus, but I forget the number for the place.

uwalum said:
FYI everybody, I went thru the application process for my Grad Plus Loan yesterday thru our school's website and received my promissory note today and realized the they were going to charge me a 10.5% fee! And our school's website states that it was supposed to be only 3%. I called our finacial aid office and Ed told me to NOT accept the loan yet until he figures out what's going on. Damn banks, those sneaky #$#@$#@$!

PS. What area is everyone planning on living in? I cant decide between a 1BD condo in Claremont ($1050) or a 2 BD house that is 4 blocks from school ($1000 and post-test bbq/drinking local!). Any suggestions or advice?

Can't wait to hang out in Socal with everyone.

I just check with lender. for somereason my gplus gone through. maybe b/ i did it on the first day july but school hasn't approve yet. my is not 10.5% but 3%...

uwalum said:
EDIT: Actually I just called them and said they might have one available in Aug. So did you actually go see these studios? Are they nice? Are you utilities included in the rent? Is there laundry? Can you hook me up with as much info as you can? Thanks dude, Sam.

Yea, I did go look at them a month or so ago. They aren't too bad. It's not your nice, newly built apt or anything like that. I was told I have to cover electricity. I think they cover the rest. There is no laundry facility in the building, but you get a closet for your own washer/dryer... but they aren't included in the deal. You also have to bring your own fridge, which seemed weird at first, but found out that it's the norm out in Cali (weird critters out there, I tell ya).

There are some pictures on their website, http://secondstreetpromenade.com/_wsn/page3.html

I have a few, if you want to see them. PM me with your email, and I'll send them to you.

Junkster said:
Yea, I did go look at them a month or so ago. They aren't too bad. It's not your nice, newly built apt or anything like that. I was told I have to cover electricity. I think they cover the rest. There is no laundry facility in the building, but you get a closet for your own washer/dryer... but they aren't included in the deal. You also have to bring your own fridge, which seemed weird at first, but found out that it's the norm out in Cali (weird critters out there, I tell ya).

There are some pictures on their website, http://secondstreetpromenade.com/_wsn/page3.html

I have a few, if you want to see them. PM me with your email, and I'll send them to you.

Wow, those are really nice looking! Over my budget, but if my GF moves down next fall I might check it out.

That's interesting about the fridge thing...my roommate mentioned earlier that he had "just bought the fridge" and I thought it was very odd. I've never heard of having to buy your own refridgerator for an apartment. :laugh:

Red Beard said:
Wow, those are really nice looking! Over my budget, but if my GF moves down next fall I might check it out.

That's interesting about the fridge thing...my roommate mentioned earlier that he had "just bought the fridge" and I thought it was very odd. I've never heard of having to buy your own refridgerator for an apartment. :laugh:

Well, they aren't too shabby... just wish the neighborhood in general was a bit better. But I do like the artsy, urban vibe. :D I signed for a year. We'll see how this works out.

I still can't get over the first time I heard one of the apt managers tell me that I need to bring my own fridge. I asked if I have to bring my own oven/range.

Has anyone registered yet? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Red Beard said:

I had that SAME reaction when my roomies told me we had to buy a fridge.
must be a Cali thing.
All the places I've ever lived in have always had fridges.
I mean, what the heck? if you're renting a place, you're really moving a fridge along with you from place to place?? :)

Dr. 90605 said:

I haven't yet because I can't decide if I want to get a parking permit or not. Its not much more money just to park in the daily spots, and I plan to ride my bicycle sometimes. I just don't know if its reasonable to expect to get a daily spot when I need one.

Anyone know anything about it?

Dr. 90605 said:
:thumbdown:

I'm waiting till I move to my parent's place before I get to that... too many things to juggle right now.

Red Beard said:
I haven't yet because I can't decide if I want to get a parking permit or not. Its not much more money just to park in the daily spots, and I plan to ride my bicycle sometimes. I just don't know if its reasonable to expect to get a daily spot when I need one.

Anyone know anything about it?

I've never had problems finding a place to park on campus. The first two or three weeks, the lots will be crowded, but then it'll calm down and you'll always have a place.

Hi to the ladies, just wondering if anyone is still looking for a place to live. Let me know if you are! We have one bedroom open :)

housing? loans? registration? those things aren't important.

the important question is.... pin or clip? :D

Clips for me. NO needles!! LMAO :laugh: :D

Dr. 90605 said:
Clips for me. NO needles!! LMAO :laugh: :D

uhhh I thought our jackets would be the standard number sizes...
*heh*

perhaps I should just go with XL, to be safe... :D

emeraldcity said:
uhhh I thought our jackets would be the standard number sizes...
*heh*

perhaps I should just go with XL, to be safe... :D

I've become quite used to either wearing a lab coat that looks like it has 3/4 length sleeves or a body that is 3x too large for me. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that anymore. Oh well :laugh:

Red Beard said:
I've become quite used to either wearing a lab coat that looks like it has 3/4 length sleeves or a body that is 3x too large for me. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that anymore. Oh well :laugh:

The last time I had a nice jacket, I was doing clinical research at a huge ortho clinic. It had my name embroidered on it, and they even let me get my sleeves fitted...
WHY didn't I bring those with me???

btw: red beard, you'll be in town by the 7th/8th, right? I figure, a day or two before orientation will be good to BBQ...
and unlike Seattle, we can count on the weather... :rolleyes:

emeraldcity said:
The last time I had a nice jacket, I was doing clinical research at a huge ortho clinic. It had my name embroidered on it, and they even let me get my sleeves fitted...
WHY didn't I bring those with me???

btw: red beard, you'll be in town by the 7th/8th, right? I figure, a day or two before orientation will be good to BBQ...
and unlike Seattle, we can count on the weather... :rolleyes:

I'll definitely be there on the 8th. Not sure about the 7th. I'll keep you posted!

Red Beard said:
http://www.westernu.edu/OPTI-West/pdf/matchlist2006.pdf

Finally snuck that onto the site. Found it using their search engine.

Thanks for posting this info, I've been curious about where people from our school go.

On another topic, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me move in the last weekend (friday) of July (28th) into the helix? We are driving from WA state, traveling with my wife and baby. Most items are not heavy, its simply that one of us has to watch the baby. It would only be a couple of hours at most. I'd be willing to help someone else move in and we'd provide pizza and bevarages : ).

I got our Fall Schedule yesterday night. I noticed our first exam is in week 4. Does anybody know what format the exams are?

wazzudoc said:
Thanks for posting this info, I've been curious about where people from our school go.

On another topic, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me move in the last weekend (friday) of July (28th) into the helix? We are driving from WA state, traveling with my wife and baby. Most items are not heavy, its simply that one of us has to watch the baby. It would only be a couple of hours at most. I'd be willing to help someone else move in and we'd provide pizza and bevarages : ).

I'll be in town, with nothing to do but studying for the comlex/usmle :smuggrin: ...

719-406-1784

Call me the day before or something, and I guess I can take a break from my super duper studying.

Hey I don't know if this was talked about already, but has anyone registered for classes in Banweb?