COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njaqua

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since noone has started this thread yet, I figured I would. I believe I have decided on COMP. The weather, rotation sites, qualities of students, quality of residency matches....should have been a no-brainer but took me a while.
Here we go.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how was the interview?? I got mine coming up :oops:

sennp9 said:
So how was the interview?? I got mine coming up :oops:
it was great. I had Dr. Jones and he's pretty stone-faced, but a nice guy. The students are super cool and laidback. Dean Adams seems very inviting and friendly.

good luck. relax and i'm sure you'll do well.

Ah I was waiting for someone to start this thread... :) Do you see how long some of those older COMP threads have lasted?! I think we can do better ;)

ok people, has anyone received any housing info???

gogo110182 said:
ok people, has anyone received any housing info???
They just cashed my deposit check on Friday and I received my Banweb account info on Tuesday. So far that is it. I haven't received any housing info yet. Anyone else?

great...... i paid my deposit like 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.......

gogo110182 said:
great...... i paid my deposit like 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.......
did they cash your check yet?

njaqua said:
did they cash your check yet?
i paid by cc, and yes, it was charged...... um....i should give them a call....

gogo110182 said:
i paid by cc, and yes, it was charged...... um....i should give them a call....
Actually, have you checked your WesternU email account yet? That is where they sent me the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
u know what........ i don't think my westernu email is setup yet cuz i never got anything from them after my payment...

gogo110182 said:
u know what........ i don't think my westernu email is setup yet cuz i never got anything from them after my payment...
i just PM'd you instructions on accessing your email account. you should have received something in the mail about a month or so after the acceptance letter. let me know if that works. if it doesn't call tech support (get # from website)

Hello Potential Classmates!

Hope u r all enjoying the holidays, and having a great time:) Have any of u started looking into housing options for fall 2006? I'm considering the Helix (the new on-campus apt.), and I've called the complex MULTIPLE times and I've left messages, but for some odd reason, no one calls back. I talked with the Student Affairs office, but they're limited in what they can do because the apt. complex is working with the university, but is not directly a part of the univ. Do you think it's ok to go ahead and submit an application even tho I'm not 100% sure I want to live there? Even if u pay the non-refundable deposit, can u still change ur mind later?? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

bluerose786 said:
Hello Potential Classmates!

Hope u r all enjoying the holidays, and having a great time:) Have any of u started looking into housing options for fall 2006? I'm considering the Helix (the new on-campus apt.), and I've called the complex MULTIPLE times and I've left messages, but for some odd reason, no one calls back. I talked with the Student Affairs office, but they're limited in what they can do because the apt. complex is working with the university, but is not directly a part of the univ. Do you think it's ok to go ahead and submit an application even tho I'm not 100% sure I want to live there? Even if u pay the non-refundable deposit, can u still change ur mind later?? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
I haven't tried calling them yet but I emailed and also signed up for their interest list twice and have heard nothing. I'll probably try calling next week. Have a great holiday!

same thing here, called and left messages...... i think i am just gonna send in my application and see what happens........

hey guys,

long time listener, first time caller...

sdn has helped me out a great deal and i thought i wanted to create a post in the meager hope that perhaps my experience might contribute to someone else. and likewise, there might be insights that others can offer me.

i was admitted to comp in december and turned in my $1k deposit, as well. i am waiting on some other schools before i make an official decision for myself. i visited touro MI and was really unimpressed (int in feb). their lecture rooms dont hold a candle to western's. i was disappointed by the lighting/size of the library, and the hazardous construction zone surrounding the school.. i felt like i was driving into an abandoned industrial city. it's built on an isolated island and the buildings are essentially as people described them. i visited western with the preconceptions from reading everyone's posts about how ghetto it is, but honestly, aside from the fact that it looks sort of like a high school on the outside and there's a useless antique row, i think it's not too bad.

i am also waiting to hear from the northeast schools (ny, philly, chicago).. i wanted to see those and perhaps experience life on the east coast.

does anyone know the advantages of choosing comp/staying in california? it seems getting rotations/residency in california may be a lot more plausible through a california DO school. i noticed the scores for the CA schools are the highest, but i dont think that translates into the highest calibre school necessarily because california schools may have inflated scores due to popularity of location. midwest schools definitely have lower admissions criteria and nicer schools - did you guys all rule them out?

if anyone wants any info from me - stats, scores, help with a personal statement, just send me a message and ill be happy to talk to you through email. i think PM means private message? i think that should correctly initiate a conversation.

additionally, this might be premature, but if anyone wants to meet (i'm presently working at Keck Grad Insitute in claremont, which is 5 miles from comp) id be more than happy to get to know some of you. im also leaning towards comp at the moment, too.. so this extends to when school is starting, too.

-Aman

I live in the midwest and I ruled them out primarily because of the weather. I've visited LA about 6 times. I dig it and I'm ready for a change. The curriculum at COMP has changed and less time is spent in the classroom. The lectures are recorded and available online as mp3's. The clinical years are spent rotating through great hospitals in SoCal. Basically, regardless of the preclinical years I feel my education would be better rotating through LA county rather than hospitals and clinics in the midwest.
The consensus seems to be, and seems to be verified by the match lists, that going to school and rotating through hospitals in SoCal allows a better chance at obtaining a California residency. COMP has residents at USC, UCLA, Stanford, Kaiser, etc.

Hello everyone, I am probably going to be joining you next fall, or next summer if I participate in ISAC.

I am also participating in the NWT, anyone else?

Moving to Southern California will be quite an adjustment for me, although I have a feeling I am going to love the weather--its rained something like 28 out of the last 30 days here in Seattle.

I am hoping to get out and do some climbing when I can, J-tree, Bishop, etc. I also checked out the climbing gym that's in the area, and it seemed pretty good. Would also like to get in the water and surf, go hiking, etc. Is there anyone else interested in this kind of stuff?

Take care,

Jake

PS:
<-------See the Joshua Trees in this picture? :) That was a climbing trip four years ago, and I've always wanted to go back and climb all the routes that I couldn't do then.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a place to buy Western apparel? I wanted to get a present for a friend of mine who goes there but couldn't find any links on their website. If anyone knows a place to buy sweatshirts or something let me know. Thanks.

ScOrPiO2983 said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a place to buy Western apparel? I wanted to get a present for a friend of mine who goes there but couldn't find any links on their website. If anyone knows a place to buy sweatshirts or something let me know. Thanks.
The bookstore here has plenty of apparel but I have not seen anything online. The bookstore is open to the public.

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I hope I didnt mess it up. I hope to be admitted into COMP's class of 2010. I interviewed on January 26th and will know the decision sometime this week!! Hope to see you guys in the fall!!

Anyone have an idea why this thread is so sparse relative to other class threads?

Dr. 90605 said:
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I hope I didnt mess it up. I hope to be admitted into COMP's class of 2010. I interviewed on January 26th and will know the decision sometime this week!! Hope to see you guys in the fall!!
Good luck. keep us posted.

bananafish27 said:
Anyone have an idea why this thread is so sparse relative to other class threads?

Because............ i am shy.......... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks njaqua! I just found out that I am ACCEPTED!! I just have to put in my deposit!! See you guys in the fall!!
We need to get more students on here!! Maybe we should put up a post under the Osteopathic general blog instead of the Osteopathic Class blog to create more awareness!! Anyway, lets keep this blog going!!!! :D

Dr. 90605 said:
Thanks njaqua! I just found out that I am ACCEPTED!! I just have to put in my deposit!! See you guys in the fall!!
We need to get more students on here!! Maybe we should put up a post under the Osteopathic general blog instead of the Osteopathic Class blog to create more awareness!! Anyway, lets keep this blog going!!!! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!! 2nd year at Western/COMP here! good luck to the rest of you waiting on decisions. If you have any questions, let me know or PM me, laters!

Hello! Im just wondering if anyone is applying for the ISAC program? Why or why not?

Dr. 90605 said:
Hello! Im just wondering if anyone is applying for the ISAC program? Why or why not?

I am strongly considering it, but not entirely sure yet. My considerations are the following:

Pro: I would love to have the material for first year spread out over a greater span of time, which I am assuming will reduce my stress level quite a bit. I would also like to have a solid grasp of the material, and going through it 2x will surely be a benefit in that respect.

Con: I am moving from out of state, and will have to quit my job a month earlier than I had planned to move to CA. For various reasons that will be more difficult for me than starting in August. Secondly, there are many things I would like to do this summer before starting school which I won't be able to do if I participate in ISAC.

JakeHarley said:
I am strongly considering it, but not entirely sure yet. My considerations are the following:

Pro: I would love to have the material for first year spread out over a greater span of time, which I am assuming will reduce my stress level quite a bit. I would also like to have a solid grasp of the material, and going through it 2x will surely be a benefit in that respect.

Con: I am moving from out of state, and will have to quit my job a month earlier than I had planned to move to CA. For various reasons that will be more difficult for me than starting in August. Secondly, there are many things I would like to do this summer before starting school which I won't be able to do if I participate in ISAC.

Exact same situation here with ISAC (except for having to move to CA). For those in the area, do you think Chino Hills is too much of a commute to Western? Not only that, but any current students reading this thread living at Helix yet (or know anyone that's living there)? What's the hearsay on how it is? :)

Im putting in my deposit today!!! Has anyone else?

truckibear said:
Exact same situation here with ISAC (except for having to move to CA). For those in the area, do you think Chino Hills is too much of a commute to Western? Not only that, but any current students reading this thread living at Helix yet (or know anyone that's living there)? What's the hearsay on how it is? :)

I'm curious about the Helix too.

dr.z said:
I'm curious about the Helix too.

I don't live there but I've been in and seen it. It is NICE. Don't think I've seen many other on-campus housing at other schools that are better. Don't know how else to describe it but I think whoever stays there should be happy.

JakeHarley said:

I am a COMP MSI who is both NWT and did ISAC. Honestly - I highly recommend doing ISAC.... but NOT for the reason you give. You need to know that COMP is on a block system (DO2009 was the first group) and ALL of gross anatomy is done in an intense 8 or 10 weeks. Which means that you will NOT have a lighter load for the rest of the semester - you will have practically no lectures to attend for those 8 weeks if you do ISAC. Now, that doesn't mean those 8 weeks need to go to waste. 1) you still are doing anatomy as a fascilitator, meaning you remember your anatomy much better and 2) you will have time to get ahead on other subjects... and we DO2009's would be more than willing to tell you what to do to get ahead.

Here's the con - you can lost momentum when you don't have to go to lectures for almost 2 months. ISAC is an intense 6 weeks and you meet great people in a very close-knit community - living in the lab with 30 people who are very focused on school. You also will do every dissection - whereas those who don't do ISAC will do every other dissection (which, during the regular school year, is very much a blessing... there's nothing more frustrating than having other exams you are worried about and having to spend 2 hours a day scraping fat before 2 more hours of dissection). So if you get into bad habits of being lazy in those "off" weeks when the rest of the class is doing anatomy, you could be in trouble when they hit the next block and you've gotten used to a nice slow pace.

I don't think there was a single person who regretted doing ISAC this summer - even though some didn't realize it would mean a block of 8 weeks with practically no lecture during the fall, rather than having a little bit lighter load all semester (you'll still have OMM & Essentials of CLinical Medicine as well as a couple other minor things).

As far as Helix goes - it's not best price around and you need to realize that the train is 1 block away and quite loud all night... but that is supposed to stop in July so it may be better. Look at craigslist for apts (inland empire or los angeles sites - Pomona's kind of in between), and Western's banweb has a housing area - both for apts/house and for finding roommates. It's literally across the street from school - which is both a pro & a con... Depends on how much you enjoyed dorm life.

Feel free to shoot me any questions regarding COMP. :)

Hi Future Fellow Classmates:)

If any of you are thinking of living in The Helix in the Fall, try to check it out soon. I talked to the apt. lady last week and she said students have already been putting down deposits for August 2006. Since it's only 1 bldg, it has limited space. I saw it last week, and it's definitely nice and very close to campus. Take care, and have a good long weekend!

Dr. 90605 said:
Im putting in my deposit today!!! Has anyone else?

Already sent one in around November. Will send my March one soon. :)

dr.z said:
How often do you have exams?

About every 2 weeks we have a big exam over everything in that block/system (ie pharm, micro, anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc). We also have 2 OMM practicals per semester and a couple of clinical skills "practicals" (doing H&Ps). There are also a couple courses that are not part of the block (things like ethics) that are tested seperately. But the science/board-relevant material is done in one big exam, usually every other Monday for 3 to 4 hours.

hey guys,

i'm pretty much settled on COMP, but i'm still trying to make sure CCOM isn't where i should be....i'm attracted to COMP's block system, non 7:30am exams, and weather...i'm not sure if COMP's rotation are as good as or better than CCOM's??? I know they are both great schools, but i'm still confused.....any thoughts?

bluerose786 said:
Hi Future Fellow Classmates:)

If any of you are thinking of living in The Helix in the Fall, try to check it out soon. I talked to the apt. lady last week and she said students have already been putting down deposits for August 2006. Since it's only 1 bldg, it has limited space. I saw it last week, and it's definitely nice and very close to campus. Take care, and have a good long weekend!

What is the range of rent at The Helix? I can't find the information regarding rent.

md10 said:
hey guys,

i'm pretty much settled on COMP, but i'm still trying to make sure CCOM isn't where i should be....i'm attracted to COMP's block system, non 7:30am exams, and weather...i'm not sure if COMP's rotation are as good as or better than CCOM's??? I know they are both great schools, but i'm still confused.....any thoughts?

Exactly.....

Hello future classmates!!

I see a couple of familiar names (Dr. Don and Dr. Z) but the rest of you look newer. I got into COMP last year and deferred, so I haven't been on SDN for awhile. But I'm getting really excited now that the time is getting closer. I've got my house on sale, and my husband is looking for work in Southern Cali. We're both excited to move. Right now we live in Minnesota and we are SICK of this weather! :laugh:

Well I'm really looking forwarding to meeting you all in the fall. Any non-trads on this thread? I'm 31, married and have a son.

Take care everyone! :D

I also deferred last year, and am a non-trad, and am trying to figure out what to do. I have a nice scholarship at one school, I'm on hold at my number 1 school and western...these are my choices and despite my best intentions I haven't been able to decide yet.

Khenon said:
Hello future classmates!!

I see a couple of familiar names (Dr. Don and Dr. Z) but the rest of you look newer. I got into COMP last year and deferred, so I haven't been on SDN for awhile. But I'm getting really excited now that the time is getting closer. I've got my house on sale, and my husband is looking for work in Southern Cali. We're both excited to move. Right now we live in Minnesota and we are SICK of this weather! :laugh:

Well I'm really looking forwarding to meeting you all in the fall. Any non-trads on this thread? I'm 31, married and have a son.

Take care everyone! :D
Non-trad here too. I'll be 29 when I start in the fall. I'm moving from South Dakota so I know exactly how you feel about the weather! Good riddance, I'm never coming back!
By the way, out of curiosity how difficult is it to defer at COMP? Do you need a really good excuse?