COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kafrinkabluejay said:
NWT people, I saw Dirk Foley the other day, apparently there's some dinner during orientation week?

Interesting, I haven't heard anything about that. Any details?

Members don't see this ad.

Junkster said:
I had to actually ask one of my parental units to fly out... I'm paying for the flight.

My parents are the worst Korean parents ever.

On that note... yes, it does seem weird that some people make such a big deal of this. My mom's response was "So they give you a white coat? It's not like you've graduated yet." And my dad's was "That's the least they can do if your paying close to 40k a year for school."

I also have an extra ticket, I guess.

*sigh*
I love hotel rooms with free wireless... :D

*BOOOO* You suck! You succumbed to peer pressure... oh well.
my parents are the same. they'd rather come out for graduation.

anywhoo: see you guys soon!

Has everyone registered yet? Today is the last day to register to avoid getting charged late fees!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Red Beard said:
Interesting, I haven't heard anything about that. Any details?

It sounded like it definitely wasn't set in stone, but something like the 10th or 12th? I think we're all going to get together anyway, so we'll probably find out then...

whats up everyone......... i'm here!

uwalum said:
whats up everyone......... i'm here!
welcome to socal uwalum...be thankful you missed the heat wave...anyone out there living in the helix? if so i think having a bbq or something this week would be fun...let me know what you think..

Andy

kekeke... Andy, uwalum and I are down the block, in the lofts above Angelo's pizza.

right on we should get together for a beer or something before all hell breaks loose :laugh:

btw anyone have further details about a NWT get together? I've heard nothing, but I'm always the last to know. thanks

Hey y'all! I've posted a couple of times, but have been out of town and just got back. Did anyone read the memo about stuctural exams? What exactly are they? Also, it says that women are supposed to wear shorts and a sports bra to the exam and OP&P. Is this correct? How does this work? I mean I'd like to be wearing a little more than a sports bra to class.

lawdawg80 said:
right on we should get together for a beer or something before all hell breaks loose :laugh:

btw anyone have further details about a NWT get together? I've heard nothing, but I'm always the last to know. thanks

I haven't heard anything more, but apparently it's happening? I'm sure we'll all be shepherded together plenty :)

Dr. K said:
Hey y'all! I've posted a couple of times, but have been out of town and just got back. Did anyone read the memo about stuctural exams? What exactly are they? Also, it says that women are supposed to wear shorts and a sports bra to the exam and OP&P. Is this correct? How does this work? I mean I'd like to be wearing a little more than a sports bra to class.

The structural exams on Aug 9th entail some 2nd years examining you to make sure that you are suitable to have OMM performed on you. Just to make sure you don't have any slipped discs or anything like that... I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to change if you want to wear something else during the day.

Thanks for the info. Did anyone hear anything about when tuition is due? I haven't received any emails about this and was curious. Also, is there a mentor program where first years are paired with upperclassmen?

Also, is anyone living at Homecoming in Rancho? I was just curious to see if any fellow classmates were living in the same complex.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. K said:
Thanks for the info. Did anyone hear anything about when tuition is due? I haven't received any emails about this and was curious. Also, is there a mentor program where first years are paired with upperclassmen?

Actually I was wondering about this too, I suppose I should call. There was an e-mail sent out to the DO 2010 class on 7/6 stating that tuition was due August 4th. However, financial aid disbursements don't go out until the 11th or something :confused: I'll give them a call in a few minutes and find out.

Don't know about a mentor program.

hello all...ok so in regards to the tuition being due before financial aid disbursement, apparently the school covers 1st term tuition/fees on the 4th and deducts that from your financial aid when it arrives. in any case, nothing to worry about. hope that helps.

andy

After 4500 miles and $700 worth of gas I'm finally in Cali!!!

I was on the road for like 20 days but I'm not in socal yet... still in berkeley helping my gf move into her new apartment. I'll be down on friday i think.

So I've got a place with 5 vet students in chino hills, it looks pretty cool. I hope they are nice!

Are there any unofficial social events planned for our class? I'd like to meet some people before the orientation starts... I think there was mention of a BBQ but I couldn't read all 10 pages of posts from the last month. there was a really cool BBQ place I went to near school after my interview, maybe we could meet there if nothing else.

so anyone let me know if anything fun is going on before orientation and I will try to make it. I'm excited to finally start school!!

peace

hey flyfisher good luck with the rest of the drive...i did it once in the reverse direction. i'm down for a bbq or whatever once you get down here...later!

Flyfisher said:
Are there any unofficial social events planned for our class? I'd like to meet some people before the orientation starts...

Ditto! I've been here a few days now and still have not met any of you guys. Maybe we can get a group to go out to dinner or drinks or something, say, tomorrow? Anybody interested? (Preferably somewhere near campus since I don't have a car :oops: )

We really should put a solid date and event so we know what we're doing.

Some of us have talked of a water park trip, but I think a simple BBQ this week would be a good start. Is there a BBQ setup at the Helix?

I'm up for anything and I'd be happy to pick anyone up :) The closest places are Chino Spectrum (10 min. from Pomona), Ontario Mills (15 min. from Pomona), Victoria Gardens (18 min. from Pomona). There are restaurants at all those locations... D&B at Ontario Mills and Yard House at Victoria Gardens. Or we can just wait until our orientation breakfast... after all, we're going to be seeing a lot of each other for awhile :p

there's a bbq here at the helix (and a pretty nice outdoor patio area)...i'd be down for that or heading out somewhere (i also have wheels if anyone needs a lift). so i guess the real question is whether we want to go out or not...what is everyone's thought on this??

Seems like a BBQ would be nice so that people can come and go as they please... I guess it's just a matter of organizing it.

BBQ sounds fun...but I'll be driving alllllll weekend! Have fun though and I'll see you guys at breakfast on Wednesday :)

ok, so here's a plan of sorts...i'm thinking a bbq here at the helix, sometime in the evening (6ish) tomorrow (thursday) or friday. what do y'all think

lawdawg80 said:
ok, so here's a plan of sorts...i'm thinking a bbq here at the helix, sometime in the evening (6ish) tomorrow (thursday) or friday. what do y'all think

Friday sounds good for me.

So how many of us are already at the Helix? I met some DVMs, NP's and pharms but only one DO 2010. But then again, I'm not really a social butterfly. So, who else is at the Helix?

hey cowslayer! wow, that's fun to say.... cowslayer! sorry..anyways, i live in the helix, room 304, right by the laundry room so you'll probably run into me sooner or later.

andy

lawdawg80 said:

Either day works for me!

hey fellow classmates,

thought i'd finally join and say hi :) . i'd be up for meeting you guys.

Hey guys!
Finally found rogue wireless connection (I wandered around my condo looking for it!)

I know we talked about bbq-ing on the 7th or 8th at my place, because that's when Red Beard pops into town... :p which is still totally fine.

But both of my roomates are out of town this weekend, and we have a kick-ass pool and a couple communal bbq pits in my condo.
If you guys want, we can move the bbq here this weekend. and people can still take a dip in water. :)

Let me know if you guys are up for it! I'm totally down for meeting all of you! :D

Junkster: where's the Korean Market? I need to get us some kalbi for the bbq.

Emerald, sounds like a good plan to me... BBQ + pool doesn't sound bad. We would have to coordinate rides for people in the Helix that don't have cars, but I think that's doable.

What does everyone else think, though? I guess we could just meet up or still have the BBQ on Friday, then do it again at Emerald's place.

I hate this post tagging crap. My number is (719) 406 1786. Let's just start calling each other seeing what we want to do.

emeraldcity said:

Where are you? The closest one is Hanam Chain in Diamond Bar for Pomona.

aaah yeah, pool trumps helix patio anyday...i'm down for this weekend and can give a lift to anyone who needs one. call me if ya want:

(206) 226-1072

andy

emeraldcity, first off this weekend sounds great...but which day? also, i was thinking of sending one of those oh-so-popular mass emails out to any interested first years inviting them...of course, i wouldn't do so without your blessing. let me know what you think.

andy

emeraldcity said:
Hey guys!
Finally found rogue wireless connection (I wandered around my condo looking for it!)

I know we talked about bbq-ing on the 7th or 8th at my place, because that's when Red Beard pops into town... :p which is still totally fine.

But both of my roomates are out of town this weekend, and we have a kick-ass pool and a couple communal bbq pits in my condo.
If you guys want, we can move the bbq here this weekend. and people can still take a dip in water. :)

Let me know if you guys are up for it! I'm totally down for meeting all of you! :D

Dr. K said:
is there a mentor program where first years are paired with upperclassmen?

Yup. First week of class you'll meet up with a COMPanion - an MSII who will hopefully pass on some old exams (very very old since they haven't allowed them to circulate since 1998 or 1999) and offer advice, etc.

lawdawg80 said:
emeraldcity, first off this weekend sounds great...but which day? also, i was thinking of sending one of those oh-so-popular mass emails out to any interested first years inviting them...of course, i wouldn't do so without your blessing. let me know what you think.

andy

Hey guys:
my #is: 206-228-0749. Better to call, since I have to stand outside in my complex to get a wireless signal. :p

I'm thinking Saturday sounds fine. I'm wondering if we should keep it small? I don't think I can have everyone in our class show up (not that they would, but still...)
I don't think we're allowed to really have "parties" at my condo. Most the people living here are youngish families with kids. I'm thinking everyone who's been on SDN, anyone who comes out to the Helix? that sound good?

Junkster: I live right off the 10 in Ontario. What's the best way to get to Hannam?

emeraldcity said:
Hey guys:
my #is: 206-228-0749. Better to call, since I have to stand outside in my complex to get a wireless signal. :p

I'm thinking Saturday sounds fine. I'm wondering if we should keep it small? I don't think I can have everyone in our class show up (not that they would, but still...)
I don't think we're allowed to really have "parties" at my condo. Most the people living here are youngish families with kids. I'm thinking everyone who's been on SDN, anyone who comes out to the Helix? that sound good?

Junkster: I live right off the 10 in Ontario. What's the best way to get to Hannam?

yo, i'll be there. what time are you guys thinking? i'll give you a call to get directions tomorrow if thats cool. we can bring some beer over right? or is this a g-rated bbq?

stumbled on here... hi guys. It's great that you're all pumped up about school, just remember to maintain the enthusiasm that you have now. Even if things seem bad and it will, it's really important to keep a positive attitude. Sometimes it's only how you feel in the heat of the moment, but if you hang on tight and overcome that moment, you'd realize that you felt like that only because you were stressed out. Believe it or not, COMP has improved a lot even the 2 years that I was there and it will prepare you just fine for the boards. Our class just got our USMLE step 1 back and everyone that I've talked to so far has passed it. We'll see what happens in Sept. when we get our Comlex back but I feel like we're going to be even happier as a class.

oh, and I'll be selling some review books :) :) that I think should be good resources if you use it along with the lectures from day 1. I think they'll help a lot with the school tests and by the time you need to review for boards, all the review books will seem familiar. Studying for boards starts at day 1 of medical school and studying hard for all of your classes.

I realized that part of the trick of doing well on school exams is sometimes just finding the right books to study from. Some people that have better books often end up learning the materials better and doing better. I'm not scaring you into buying my books. In fact I don't even know which ones exactly I'll want to sell, but the advice is to find upperclassmen and talk to them to see which books have worked for them. I'm sure you guys will see 3rd&4th year students all year long going back on campus in the student commons with a table of used books for sale. They have personally helped me a lot so make sure you go up to talk to them and even buy some books.

uwalum said:
yo, i'll be there. what time are you guys thinking? i'll give you a call to get directions tomorrow if thats cool. we can bring some beer over right? or is this a g-rated bbq?

Saturday, around 4:30pm?
I think my land lord has to do a walk thru my condo or something like that at 4...

Please contribute beer or whatever you like.

Are people still on for tomorrow at the Helix?
someone drop me a call. :)

Oh! And if people would like to call and let me know they are coming Saturday, that'd be great. I can give you directions (to the best of my ability)I need to figure out how much food to buy...

-Grace

emeraldcity said:

21080 W. Golden Springs Dr., Walnut, CA 91789

Take I 60 west, follow towards I 57 south, exit Brea Canyon Rd. Turn left on Brea Canyon Rd. Turn right on Golden Spring or you can keep going straight, I think... it's on the southwest corner of Golden Spring and Brea Canyon.

hello all helix-ers and anyone else interested...wanna get together this evening? junkster, you live over by angelo's right? that might be a good place...whatta you think?

Junkster said:
21080 W. Golden Springs Dr., Walnut, CA 91789

Take I 60 west, follow towards I 57 south, exit Brea Canyon Rd. Turn left on Brea Canyon Rd. Turn right on Golden Spring or you can keep going straight, I think... it's on the southwest corner of Golden Spring and Brea Canyon.

THANKS!!!

How lame, I'm in the Student Common room using internet. *sigh* stupid Verizon...

I'm thinking good ol' burgers and hotdogs for tommorrow, and we'll bust out with the kalbi on Tuesday (since we did tell Red Beard we'd BBQ with him too ;) )
Can people bring drinks? I'll get everything from the store and everyone can just chip in a few $'s to the community BBQ pot. I think we should start one. :D

emeraldcity said:
THANKS!!!

How lame, I'm in the Student Common room using internet. *sigh* stupid Verizon...

I'm thinking good ol' burgers and hotdogs for tommorrow, and we'll bust out with the kalbi on Tuesday (since we did tell Red Beard we'd BBQ with him too ;) )
Can people bring drinks? I'll get everything from the store and everyone can just chip in a few $'s to the community BBQ pot. I think we should start one. :D

sounds like a plan...I'll bring some beer and some non-alcy bevs as well

lawdawg80 said:
hello all helix-ers and anyone else interested...wanna get together this evening? junkster, you live over by angelo's right? that might be a good place...whatta you think?

Yea, we can hit up Angelo's. There's a bar just at the corner between the antique row and school, so we can also go there.

I'll give you a call tonight.

Junkster said:
Yea, we can hit up Angelo's. There's a bar just at the corner between the antique row and school, so we can also go there.

I'll give you a call tonight.

hey all,

i might be down to hang out tonite, my buddy and i might be hitting up a hollywood club tonite before he leaves back for seattle. if not, im in for some beers around here.

lawdawg80 said:

i'd like to meet up with you guys. should we set a time and place?

good times last night, lets keep the party going!!...just a reminder for everyone to come out to the bbq this afternoon. and don't forget your banana hammocks!

p.s. yes i do enjoy inviting people over to parties at other peoples' houses

pps if you need a ride from the helix or helix area, call me

(206) 226-1072

andy
aka official sponsor of the time out

is there a book list posted anywhere with required and recommended books for our classes?

moose9781 said:
is there a book list posted anywhere with required and recommended books for our classes?
Hey it's great your classmates are getting together before school starts... keep up the spirit throughout the year and you'll have a great year. About books, you should wait til you start the classes. Many instructurs (if not all) test right out of their powerpoints and handouts. It isn't really necessary to buy the recommended books unless you want a full understanding of a subject or are just interested or magically have extra time to read them. For Anatomy though, you should absolutely have Netters atlas (you will get one when school starts for "free" when you join SOMA for $40 (price of the book)). Other books that are okay are the Color Atlas of Anatomy ("dead body book") which is an atlas of real cadavers that covers every part of the human body. I think it's by Rohen. The second book isn't a must have if you attend lab... but these two books should have you covered for Anatomy. Have fun and see you soon.

COMP MSII