COMP Class of 2008 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LifeLongPassion said:
I definitely couldn't do derm por vida. No interest in that field at all no matter what they pay me or what my hours would be.

Has anyone heard about this 1 week Genetics course?
I know it's open book but has anybody heard ANYTHING else bout it?

nice to get a vacation this weekend and then another the weekend after. :thumbup:

all i know is how happy i am to be with head and neck this week. and that genetics can suck it. bring on the neuro!!

Members don't see this ad.

"You guys are really starting to piss me off!"

Is it just me or does anyone else love it when this guy talks dirty to us?

He makes me feel like a naughty school boy again :laugh: Ahh, the good old days.

JMC_MarineCorps said:

He makes me feel like a naughty school boy again :laugh: Ahh, the good old days.

honestly "how rude can you guys be; smile if you want"

not looking forward to head and neck

Members don't see this ad :)
learning the skin lesions in the dermal system was certainly one of the most boring things i have done in my entire life. i'm glad it's over with

Hey guys...hope y'all are enjoying the sunshine in Cali. We get alot out here also but with snow on the ground. :D Anyway, I have my neuro final this week and just a heads up to KEEP UP with the work. Neuro is BY FAR the hardest theme we have in our 1st year and it's the same for many med schools. Good luck with it. It's really fun but difficult to process. Have fun with Weigerts! :)

JMC_MarineCorps said:

Hey... I see your little green light on... shouldn't you be studying for Head and Neck?

Ryan said:
Hey... I see your little green light on... shouldn't you be studying for Head and Neck?

No, I am all caught up on H&N. I am reviewing neurosensory now. I really thought this medical school thing was going to be much more challenging. I would have kept my full-time job had I known I would have so much free time on my hands.

Luwi25 said:
Hey guys...hope y'all are enjoying the sunshine in Cali. We get alot out here also but with snow on the ground. :D Anyway, I have my neuro final this week and just a heads up to KEEP UP with the work. Neuro is BY FAR the hardest theme we have in our 1st year and it's the same for many med schools. Good luck with it. It's really fun but difficult to process. Have fun with Weigerts! :)

Whaddup Luwi...missed your DO "roots?" :laugh: How is life in the MD lane?

wow, had no idea that our class was so talented. good luck on head and neck everyone!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
No, I am all caught up on H&N. I am reviewing neurosensory now. I really thought this medical school thing was going to be much more challenging. I would have kept my full-time job had I known I would have so much free time on my hands.

Kiss my grits! :D

Where is everybody? This place turned into a ghost town; it's almost like we have a test or something.

fleeing the tomatos,
-E-

2 words came to mind when Dr. Kuehn said "Congratulations on completing your course in Human Anatomy"...

MENTAL ORGASM!!!
:eek: :D :smuggrin: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OFF TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

LifeLongPassion said:
2 words came to mind when Dr. Kuehn said "Congratulations on completing your course in Human Anatomy"...

MENTAL ORGASM!!!
:eek: :D :smuggrin: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OFF TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dr. Khuen just e-mailed me...told me not to check my bone box in just yet, I'll be needing it in the summer! :eek:

Not really, but I am anticipating such a note in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMC_MarineCorps said:
Dr. Khuen just e-mailed me...told me not to check my bone box in just yet, I'll be needing it in the summer! :eek:

yeap....anatomy blows :(

so poker after genetics....$20 buy in, No limit hold'em....you know how we do it

JMC_MarineCorps said:

Hey where are you? I don't see you in class..

Ryan said:
Hey where are you? I don't see you in class..

I am at home reading buddy. Figured it was better than sitting in lecture hall with a cross-eyed buzz listening to the professor from Charlie Brown....whaa whaa whaa whaa.

I talked to my UCLA med school colleague and he confirmed that they have very limited lecture time. I guess they just learned over the years to back off a bit and let their students read rather than being slaves to the lecture hall and then scrambling for time to catch up.

Crazy, but we'll see how it goes.

Keep your head up no matter what happens in anatomy. I had a couple classmates who had to go through remediation and are doing just fine now on rotations.

It's funny that you should comment on the amount of lecture time. It's actually been improving the last few years... slowly but surely. My class and the class before us had a lot more time in the lecture hall, so there are some improvements.

I wonder if genetics was put in its own separate week because of it being interspersed in the first semester previously. Unfortunately, we don't do too well in genetics, so maybe there have been some changes to improve even though it's only one week. At any rate, rest up before neuro comes. G'luck!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
I am at home reading buddy. Figured it was better than sitting in lecture hall with a cross-eyed buzz listening to the professor from Charlie Brown....whaa whaa whaa whaa.

I talked to my UCLA med school colleague and he confirmed that they have very limited lecture time. I guess they just learned over the years to back off a bit and let their students read rather than being slaves to the lecture hall and then scrambling for time to catch up.

Crazy, but we'll see how it goes.

If derm was the easiest system...I think I need to get cracking on that MBA program down in SD. :eek:

I think the head and neck exam will be icing on the cake and will probably seal the deal. In the meantime, I'll be working on my best "would you like fries with that sir?"

JMC_MarineCorps said:
If derm was the easiest system...I think I need to get cracking on that MBA program down in SD. :eek:

I think the head and neck exam will be icing on the cake and will probably seal the deal. In the meantime, I'll be working on my best "would you like fries with that sir?"

COMON SEMPER FI GUY
what kind of attitude is that???
it's all about total domination!
let's rock this party harder than its ever been rocked before! :thumbup:

JMC_MarineCorps said:

There has to be a curve...I'm estimating between 4-5 points before the double keys/challenges (I know one for sure has to be double keyed!...of course you know who I'm talking about that writes those awesome questions...Dr. IgE). Post double keys/challenges..2-3 points. We'll be alright...

BTW, I'm writing a challenge to that Desai question: biopsy/history. I've also heard one of Wong's questions may be double keyed as well, the one about ketokonazole and the other -zole...Any of you writing challenges? Alright G's, maybe this is what we need, a nice slap in the face to get our sh-t together and focus...I know that's the case for me, because I'm still on christmas break ;) but all that is changing soon. BRING ON NEURO!!! You know who your daddy is..... :thumbup:

plato told

him:he couldn't
believe it(jesus

told him;he
wouldn't believe
it)lao

tsze
certainly told
him,and general
(yes

mam)
sherman;
and even
(believe it
or

not)you
told him:i told
him;we told him
(he didn't believe it,no

sir)it took
a nipponized bit of
the old sixth

avenue
el;in the top of his head:to tell

him

---

where's the lesion?

I'll be the first to breathe a sigh of relief here at SDN.

I am a little POed that I canceled by birthday plans (yesterday) to study for a closed book exam.

Why couldn't he just warn us that being familiar with the material is an important part of an open book exam?

donvicious said:

I am a little POed that I canceled by birthday plans (yesterday) to study for a closed book exam.

Why couldn't he just warn us that being familiar with the material is an important part of an open book exam?

so challenge yourself and take it cold, because you studied well enough to do that anyway. i intend to do as much as i can without any help, because i certianly won't have open book on the boards.

ok chicken littles, stop being such women about it. derm will sort itself out- your grade now will not be your grade for long, unless you got a lot of stuff wrong, and it was all the super easy gimme questions.

but... i will personally kick all your a$$es if you don't make up for it with good grades in neuro. you've been warned. there's no crying in baseball.

donvicious said:

and your birthday was yesterday???!!! happy birthday man. i owe you a drink.

that dr. jack said:
ok chicken littles, stop being such women about it. derm will sort itself out- your grade now will not be your grade for long, unless you got a lot of stuff wrong, and it was all the super easy gimme questions.

but... i will personally kick all your a$$es if you don't make up for it with good grades in neuro. you've been warned. there's no crying in baseball.

vstory.crige.afp.jpg

Better to just let this one sting for a while.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
vstory.crige.afp.jpg

Better to just let this one sting for a while.

:laugh: :laugh: nice one.

remember: there are a couple of people who got less than 50% (apparently) on that exam. i don't know who they are, but i hope they get through this. besides man, you're within spitting distance- you'll pass, i am very optimistic for you.

an MBA isn't your style, and those little girls of yours deserve to have a doctor in their immediate family, cuz like, trying to get antibiotics late at night is a bi*ch unless you have JMC, DO.

that dr. jack said:

You're gonna need to bulk up for the amount of ass you're gonna eventually have to kick.

what the heck is MDR1 exon 26 C3445C or something like that! geez...

docquaker said:

it's the high pumper thingy...from the pharmacogenomics lecture.

docquaker said:

P-glycoprotein is the product of the multidrug resistance gene - MDR1, which acts as an energy-dependent efflux pump that exports its substrates out of the cell. PGP expression is an important factor regulating absorption of a wide variety of medications. It has also been associated with intrinsic and acquired cross resistance to a number of structurally unrelated anticancer drugs.

A single nucleotide polymorphism - SNP in exon 26 of the MDR1 gene, C3435T, was recently correlated with PGP protein levels and substrate uptake. Individuals homozygous for the T allele have more than four-fold lower PGP expression compared with CC individuals. As overexpression of PGP has been associated with altered drug absorption, therapy-resistant malignancies, and lower concentrations of HIV-1 protease inhibitors, this SNP may provide a useful approach to individualize therapy.

Dude, that was in the notes. You better get cranking for boards.

j/k

but wow was pickin that thing up a bummer or what?!?

I dunno, I'm too afraid to pick it up. I might just wait until Monday when Gilbert decides the curve. That way I won't overreact.

don't know the average, but the grade you got today is not necessarily your correct grade. so don't worry.

and donvicious, remember we have a little bet...so start saving your pennies cuz a lot of people who thought they did terrible didn't.

watch out dudes, some weirdo is sending people form our school PMs about wanting he class e-mails or something, for like COMLEX info. it's way fishy so don't fall for it. i've informed the moderator, so hopefully this will sort itself out.

and now it's time for del taco. oh yeah.

That same guy hit me up earlier and wanted the email for our entire class. Sounds very fishy but what could he want?

that dr. jack said:
watch out dudes, some weirdo is sending people form our school PMs about wanting he class e-mails or something, for like COMLEX info. it's way fishy so don't fall for it. i've informed the moderator, so hopefully this will sort itself out.
thx1138policebrutality.jpg

Heh. Heh.

Greetings all who have been slammed by our first two "systems." I already have a list of what to challenge in genetics, but whatever. I especially like the lissencephaly question -- BTW -- the DCM response is the correct answer since DCM is another name for XLIS. Woulda been nice to have seen that somewhere in the notes! But I looked it up on OMIM... bastard...

Man -- I guess I've been missing all the fun here...

Another distractor for me during lecture times....

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Whaddup Luwi...missed your DO "roots?" :laugh: How is life in the MD lane?

Hey JMC! I'm so happy to see that med school isn't stressin' you out at all! wow! great job! How you guys enjoying neuro? Are you in neuro? Anyhoo, the MD tract isn't bad at all at this med school. They really stress QOC and patient interaction from the 1st week onwards. We also have a public health element and Health Care and Society ethical element in our curriculum so I really like it! Anyway, nice to see everyone alive & kickin' on this thread.

Take care! :D

faulkneg said:
Greetings all who have been slammed by our first two "systems." I already have a list of what to challenge in genetics, but whatever. I especially like the lissencephaly question -- BTW -- the DCM response is the correct answer since DCM is another name for XLIS. Woulda been nice to have seen that somewhere in the notes! But I looked it up on OMIM... bastard...

Man -- I guess I've been missing all the fun here...

Another distractor for me during lecture times....

what's upZ? that was a mistype, but it looked cool so i'll leave it in.

that dr. jack said:
what's upZ? that was a mistype, but it looked cool so i'll leave it in.

Nuttin' -- thinkin' 'bout studyin', but getting nowhere. Just not feeling like it right now. Kinda down and blue. So I'm here spending my time looking around SDN to find those negative comments about COMP and our class lookin' to stir up trouble.

Also, to everyone else -- I've got jack's back when it comes time to kick everyone's ass if they don't do well in neuro! And I have been working out :smuggrin:

faulkneg said:
Nuttin' -- thinkin' 'bout studyin', but getting nowhere. Just not feeling like it right now. Kinda down and blue. So I'm here spending my time looking around SDN to find those negative comments about COMP and our class lookin' to stir up trouble.

Also, to everyone else -- I've got jack's back when it comes time to kick everyone's ass if they don't do well in neuro! And I have been working out :smuggrin:

oh faulk, why blue? call me!

"Here are the results of the challenges to Derm...."

I live to fight another system :thumbup: thank you sir.

DCML, IAF, ALS, VPL, contralateral, ipsilateral, up two and cross, cross at the caudal pons, man on a pyramid, left, right, left <head spinning> Oh yea, and don't forget M1, M2, M3, Nn, Nm, 2-PAM, L-dopa, DOPA, NE, E -- get some.

Ladies and gentlemen...please keep your arms and legs in the neuro-coaster at all times and do not attempt to stand up until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.

oh yeah baby..have fun with that neuro. DC-ML and ALS are the icing on that cake. Have fun and remember that at the end, it all comes together and those weigerts DO make sense.

Neuro's a B*TCH but it actually is fun and interesting. Have fun my fellow collegues!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
"Here are the results of the challenges to Derm...."

I live to fight another system :thumbup: thank you sir.

DCML, IAF, ALS, VPL, contralateral, ipsilateral, up two and cross, cross at the caudal pons, man on a pyramid, left, right, left <head spinning> Oh yea, and don't forget M1, M2, M3, Nn, Nm, 2-PAM, L-dopa, DOPA, NE, E -- get some.

I'm going to start calling Dr. Foster the Terminator.

Just when you're about to jump off a bridge, he shows you 125 slides in 100 minutes.

Didn't he do this in Head and Neck?

donvicious said:
I'm going to start calling Dr. Foster the Terminator.

Just when you're about to jump off a bridge, he shows you 125 slides in 100 minutes.

Didn't he do this in Head and Neck?

what are you worried about? 95 of them were the same one. it's easy, just go eat some ramen and experience the umami.

Status
Not open for further replies.