COMP Class of 2008 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LifeLongPassion said:
I don't know bout you guys but not having the profs. names on the exam next to their question section is really getting on my nerves. How do they think it benefits anybody?
Having two profs say diff things bout the same subject is nooooooooot cooooooool.

shouldn't we riot or somethin?

I remember when I was on campus, that seemed to bug a number of folks in my class, but you should be able to tell in the majority of cases who is writing a section of questions. That being said, we did run into the same problems of different clinicians saying different things about the same topic. The reality is that this will happen on any rotation you're on and will also affect how you answer questions on boards. The trick is being active in reading up on the board books and current guidelines for each field.

In retrospect, I wish I had done much more of that... just trying to pass along some helpful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

u raise a good point melancholy.
it just really stings when wong says phenytoin inhibits glucoronidation and then HE EMAILS YOU AFTER THE TEST TO SAY "OOPS SORRY MY MISTAKE PLEASE ERASE THAT FROM YOUR NOTES" when u selected that as the answer on the exam!
but point taken

How'd everyone feel about the 2nd Blood/lymph exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
LifeLongPassion said:
How'd everyone feel about the 2nd Blood/lymph exam?

far better than last week. i think they went easy on us after last weeks rectal assault.

are we supposed to be studying?
if so i'm in trouble

Hey everyone at COMP. I am coming to interview on the 6th of October (thursday) and I was wondering if anyone had an extra room or somewhere I could stay the night of Wednesday the 5th of October. Let me know if anyone could help. Thanks.

Cory M.

[email protected]

Alright... yea- you guys feel reemed too? that was a biatch of a test today. I really hope our next one is better-yikes.

Keashado said:
Alright... yea- you guys feel reemed too? that was a biatch of a test today. I really hope our next one is better-yikes.
what up girl! yeap, my a$$ still hurts ;)

I'm diggin your squad right now J.

good frickin' game

it's nice knowin i can enjoy this game without a pile of notes in front of me CUZ THERE'S NO FRICKIN EXAM FOR ONCE!

comon guys...are we really thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat busy?

LifeLongPassion said:
comon guys...are we really thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat busy?

Glad to see some folks still check in here now and again. I was getting ready to write an obituary for this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
WOw, where is everybody! Echooo, Echooo
Time flies!!!!!! Echooo , Echooo :p

here atlast said:
WOw, where is everybody! Echooo, Echooo
Time flies!!!!!! Echooo , Echooo :p
They're probably playing poker

OnMyWayThere said:
They're probably playing poker
you know it!! gotta make some money while in school....how am I suppose to pay for COMLEX and the USMLE I? ;)

hey fellow soontobe doc's...just wanted to wish you all a very Happy and Safe New Year!

see u in Dr. May's hour(s)

:thumbup:

"Here are some clarifications and additional information to supplement Dr. Kim’s lecture last Friday that you should know...<insert favorite 500 page novel here>"

Not sure whether to :laugh: or to :eek:

I get the feeling he wasn't very fond of our guest lecturer.

Napolean feels like his power is diminishing over the minions

It's really hard to grasp that Dr. Gilbert is no longer with us... :(

Rest in Peace Dr. G

LifeLongPassion said:
It's really hard to grasp that Dr. Gilbert is no longer with us... :(

Rest in Peace Dr. G

yeap and I know I'm not big on attending lecture, but by far he was one of our best professors, and I just loved how he kept things simple and to the point. We'll definitely miss him!

Cifarelli hooked it up bigtime!

hahaha

takin those 2 units to the bank!

Dr. Hokis said:
Cifarelli hooked it up bigtime!

hahaha

takin those 2 units to the bank!

Another name change LLP/Dohza? You going through an identity crisis? I have the hotline number for Dr. Murad if you need it.

PS...what did I tell you about Cif? Huh? :cool:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Another name change LLP/Dohza? You going through an identity crisis? I have the hotline number for Dr. Murad if you need it.

PS...what did I tell you about Cif? Huh? :cool:

thanks for blowin' my cover :mad:

newbie here - just got in...looking for housing. What's the scoop on the "helix" - cost vs. value. anybody currently living there? Recommend it?
thanks!

Dr. Hokis said:
thanks for blowin' my cover :mad:

also -
did any of you take the 'summer preparatory course'? I haven't taken any anatomy courses in undergrad. Would you recommend enrolling? or is it a sure way to burn out before med school?

hey guys,

just wondering if any of you would like to find someone to take over your apartment/room for the month of june or june/july???? i'm going to be a first year and coming out from boston and would like to look around a bit to get a feel for the area before i sign a lease.

Summer Prep- i didn't take it. It'll help, but IMO I would rather enjoy my summer.

Housing for the Summer- If you have access to banweb, they have housing listings. Or give Westernu a call and see if they'll give you the housing listing.
---------------------------------------------------

Haven't been on for awhile...who else is still posting on this thread!

Hey guys!
just a couple q's, if you don't mind, from a 2010er. :)

1. WesternU is the default lender for our Stafford Loans (at least, that's what it says on BanWeb) do I have to go thru them? I already have loans from grad school, and just planned on going with the same company.

2. My finaid package lists Stafford loans and a Grad Plus loan. Can we take out MedLoans instead of Grad Plus Loans? is it that super-specific? I just thought we were allowed to take out any alternative loan to make up the unmet needs, not specifically GradPlus.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Can I be the first to yell and scream on here!!! YAY! We're finally off to the hospitals!!! Good luck everybody on your rotations!!! KICK SOME ASS!

Hello - I will be part of the comp c/o 2010. My parents live in orange county (north irvine). I was just wondering if you guys would recomend I get an apartment close to school or just do the commute and save the money on rent. I mapped it and it was 30 miles and I believe I can use a toll road (longer distance but less traffic). I wasnt considering livin at home until I found out about the interest rates I would be borrowing money at for living expenses. What do you think?

not sure about your commute...but a good majority of students do not go to lecture. we have audio recording and you can listen to them at home. Attendance is required for anatomy lab and ECM. I know some people commute long distances...it can be done. if you like going to classes and hate commuting perhaps get a place. it's really your call. hope that helps.

friedcfood said:
not sure about your commute...but a good majority of students do not go to lecture. we have audio recording and you can listen to them at home. Attendance is required for anatomy lab and ECM. I know some people commute long distances...it can be done. if you like going to classes and hate commuting perhaps get a place. it's really your call. hope that helps.
I am one of those people that basically showed up only for the mandatory classes and tests. Yes it can be done, but honestly I would still strongly recommed you get a place close to campus and just see how you can hang at least for the first semester, then once you got a better idea of what YOU can and can not handle, then make your decision to live as close or as far as you want. Best of luck to you!

thanks for your input guys.......

moose9781 said:
Hello - I will be part of the comp c/o 2010. My parents live in orange county (north irvine). I was just wondering if you guys would recomend I get an apartment close to school or just do the commute and save the money on rent. I mapped it and it was 30 miles and I believe I can use a toll road (longer distance but less traffic). I wasnt considering livin at home until I found out about the interest rates I would be borrowing money at for living expenses. What do you think?

i'm from HB and had a similar commute; i had an apt the first 3 semesters and then started commuting; you might want to be close by while you have anatomy so you can take a look at cadavers whenever you need to; you do save a ton of rent though when you live at home so commuting shouldn't be a problem, i never had a problem being on time when i went to class

Ok, so how high should a passing USMLE score be to bother reporting? I'm almost as low as you can go and still pass... wondering if I should even bother using it when it comes time to report and apply to residency. I'm not terribly worried, cause I knew it seemed way harder to me than COMLEX, which is all i really care about, still, just curious what you guys think. Hope everyone did better than me!

I lived 30 miles away and took the 10 east all the way. unless there was an accident it took 30 minutes. i know people who commuted from irvine, it took about 45 minutes from tustin... but traffic could be bad at times so you had to leave early. i only went to required classes after the first semester. if i could have i would have lived close to school with a few roommates but even then your commute could still be 20 minutes on backroads.

TheFish005 said:
Ok, so how high should a passing USMLE score be to bother reporting? I'm almost as low as you can go and still pass... wondering if I should even bother using it when it comes time to report and apply to residency. I'm not terribly worried, cause I knew it seemed way harder to me than COMLEX, which is all i really care about, still, just curious what you guys think. Hope everyone did better than me!

About a year or so from now you will be at this decision point - not report Step I score and only use COMLEX, or take Step II, hope for an awesome score to offset low Step I.

The argument for taking both tests is that they both test very similar clinical knowledge, though I've been hearing that Step II is pulling out the some Stepish I type physio questions. Therefore you would not be trying to study for two completely different tests, as some would say in the case of Step I and COMLEX.

The the cons is that if you don't do well on Step II, you most likely will not report either Step score and lose about a grand in combined test fees.

While Step I has always been an important part of one's package, there are signs that residencies hold Step II in equal if not greater regard because of its clinical nature and whatever correlation it has with the real-world clinical years and beyond. So, in some cases a superior Step II score might offset a not-so-great Step I. Of course, this will vary with program and specialty.

Botton line: if you want to increase your chances of matching at an allopathic program that traditionally does not know how to interpret the COMLEX, then it would be in your best interest to take Step II and do better than you did on Step I.

Don't sell your accomplishment short. Passing Step I is HUGE. Congrats and enjoy third year. Heh.

i guess it depends on how you do with comlex, if your applications ask if you took the usmle, and the programs you are considering! if you rock the comlex then forget about the usmle. anxiety was such a factor for me ... i was so relaxed once i took the comlex. my score is a 221 so i'm going to report it. i'm looking into OB.

Sounds reasonable, thanks!

do we have any golfers in the class?
i just recently took it up and i'm officially addicted.

i suck bigtime but love takin' a whack at that ball after a nice 10 hour shift.

anybody up for it?

I just bought myself a new set of clubs. I've played that claremont course a couple times. I'd definitely be down... PM me and let me know who you are! I'm not any good, but I have a great time playing.

TheFish005 said:
I just bought myself a new set of clubs. I've played that claremont course a couple times. I'd definitely be down... PM me and let me know who you are! I'm not any good, but I have a great time playing.

Congrats on pasing the boards, Fish, even if its not as high as you had hoped. But with a little charm and dazzle during rotations, I'm sure you'll get where you want to go. Isn't it about having connections anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.