combined 5 or 6 yr cardio programs? (IM+card)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any straight combined programs out there besides those w/ research tracks? (i.e. 2-3 years med, 1-2 years, 2-3 yrs card, etec).

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
are there any straight combined programs out there besides those w/ research tracks? (i.e. 2-3 years med, 1-2 years, 2-3 yrs card, etec).

I heard such programs, where one completes 2 years of medicine followed by 3 years of cards, have been proposed. I think there was an article in the Journal of ACC that mentioned the concept last year in a working group formed for figuring out a way to increase the supply of cardiologists. However, don't know if any of those ideas have come to fruition yet.

Programs have been proposed but they don't exist yet.

bulldog said:
Some programs, like CWRU/University Hospitals of Cleveland, have an accelerated residency track where you go straight into internship after completing your third year clerkships. The CWRU/UH family/internal med residencies had such an arrangement, and it was intended to encourage students to go into primary care. But apparently too many of the IM grads were going into sub-specialty fields like cards, so they discontinued the program. But perhaps other schools have similar arrangements.

-AT.