MS3 going into IM with goal of matching cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukaDoncicLuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just checking in to see what a good game plan for my fourth year of medical school and what programs I should prioritize to maximize my chances of matching Cards.
I'm at a T10/20 medical school have a 265+ on step 1 and hoping to match a top ranked California IM program (UCLA ideally). What kind of things can I do as a fourth year student to set myself up well for matching cards in the future?

I have will have two cards case reports (one with a lit review as well) published by next year. Should I look to a couple more case reports and/or posters at ACC? I feel like one year is not enough time to do an IRB approved retrospective project. Should I set up a "lighter" fourth year schedule and work on getting some more cases/posters presented/published or do a more clinically rigorous schedule to prepare for residency (my home program has amazing opportunities fourth year rotations including CCU, echo/hemodynamic lab, nuclear/ct/mri etc.

In terms or residency programs, should I focus on programs that will allow me to do more research even if they may be less clinically rigorous?

How much actual research do I need in residency to match? Multiple first authors on IRB approved projects? How much does this change if I just want to go to a low/mid tier academic fellowship and don't care about having an academic career (almost entirely sure I want to do PP). I know it might be jumping the gun to be so worried about matching fellowship when I haven't even matched residency but I'm a typical neurotic medical student and cardiology is quite competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. You're on easy street, just don't mess up. Cardiology is competitive but not that competitive, especially if you're not gunning for big time academic fellowships where maybe first author is needed. Keep up the extra-currriculars and research but I wouldn't go overboard. Just take it easy 4th year and have fun. I wouldn't even worry about cards 4th year rotations unless you're curious or want to see if it's for you. You'll get plenty of that eventually. Apply broadly and go to the biggest name residency that fits. Don't necessarily sell yourself short with UCLA, unless there's a particular reason or if you want to stay in CA. CA programs can be incestuous. Lots of good programs out there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey just checking in to see what a good game plan for my fourth year of medical school and what programs I should prioritize to maximize my chances of matching Cards.
I'm at a T10/20 medical school have a 265+ on step 1 and hoping to match a top ranked California IM program (UCLA ideally). What kind of things can I do as a fourth year student to set myself up well for matching cards in the future?

I have will have two cards case reports (one with a lit review as well) published by next year. Should I look to a couple more case reports and/or posters at ACC? I feel like one year is not enough time to do an IRB approved retrospective project. Should I set up a "lighter" fourth year schedule and work on getting some more cases/posters presented/published or do a more clinically rigorous schedule to prepare for residency (my home program has amazing opportunities fourth year rotations including CCU, echo/hemodynamic lab, nuclear/ct/mri etc.

In terms or residency programs, should I focus on programs that will allow me to do more research even if they may be less clinically rigorous?

How much actual research do I need in residency to match? Multiple first authors on IRB approved projects? How much does this change if I just want to go to a low/mid tier academic fellowship and don't care about having an academic career (almost entirely sure I want to do PP). I know it might be jumping the gun to be so worried about matching fellowship when I haven't even matched residency but I'm a typical neurotic medical student and cardiology is quite competitive.

Cedar Sinai is where it’s at for PP career.

Members don't see this ad :)

Best bet is to go to a top residency program to increase your chances for matching cardiology (and getting the most amount of interviews). Research is basically a requirement in this very evidence-based specialty, but you really don't need to do that much in terms of getting publications unless you really are gung ho about academic cardiology. Most cardiologists will end up practicing clinical cardiology (think private practice) rather than doing research (clinic-based pays more than academic career across the board).

Case reports are fine, but if you can an original research article is better if you can get published. Most important thing is to be the best clinician you can be and do well in residency to shine which will help with letters of recommendation (don't downplay how helpful LORs can be!). Clinical acumen>>>research in terms of importance but of course your CV would look great with more research.

If you are able to match into a well known program known to be clinically rigorous, you may not even need many publications to get your interviews and match into cardiology. Apply broadly when the time comes because the virtual application season has been seeing way more applications which includes other competitive candidates who are reapplying.

Most fellowship programs will prepare you just fine for a PP career. There's nothing special or secret about it.

Most fellowship programs will prepare you just fine for a PP career. There's nothing special or secret about it.
most important factor in a pp gig is not blowing your brains out in clinic