Columbia P&S Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UNI's are up for those of us who need to obsessively surf those parts of the CUMC site that were previously off limits.

Sweet. I just joined the Columbia network on Facebook. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Department of Neurology Grand Rounds

"The Pregnant Woman with Epilepsy: Evaluation, Management, Prognosis"

It sounds like a pretty cool and complex topic. However, at the moment I'm just an unemployed pastry cook. Why the heck would I show up at Grand Rounds...???

It sounds like a pretty cool and complex topic. However, at the moment I'm just an unemployed pastry cook. Why the heck would I show up at Grand Rounds...???

hahaha im fairly sure that is a blanket email to everyone affiliated with the medical center. I opened my email account earlier this month and ive gotten a bunch of those

Members don't see this ad :)

If you genuinely want to go to one of the many lectures you hear about via cubmail, don't feel intimidated! You may feel a little out of place, but nobody's going to mind having you there. I've gone to several post-graduate courses (intended for residents and licensed physicians, but open to medical students and staff members) and I had no problems.

hahaha im fairly sure that is a blanket email to everyone affiliated with the medical center. I opened my email account earlier this month and ive gotten a bunch of those

Hahaha. I figured as much. I ain't special. Maybe "speshul"? Definitely not "special."

Why would they invite the little guys, though? Wouldn't we just get in the way?

If you genuinely want to go to one of the many lectures you hear about via cubmail, don't feel intimidated! You may feel a little out of place, but nobody's going to mind having you there. I've gone to several post-graduate courses (intended for residents and licensed physicians, but open to medical students and staff members) and I had no problems.

Hmmm... I dunno. I feel like my command of buttercream will not help me much when people start throwing around words like "brain" and "nerve." The brain is in the abdomen, right? :D :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think I know how to be a good "student standing in corner managing to stay out of everyone's way."

Why would they invite the little guys, though? Wouldn't we just get in the way?

They send these emails to everyone at the medical center. And I mean EVERYONE. I am a lowly research assistant and I've been getting these e-mails since I started here. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Columbia really does send out too many mass emails. lol

Hmmm... I dunno. I feel like my command of buttercream will not help me much when people start throwing around words like "brain" and "nerve." The brain is in the abdomen, right? :D :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think I know how to be a good "student standing in corner managing to stay out of everyone's way."

Buttercream is an essential element of neuroanatomy- it's one of the key "gustatory neurotransmitters." Ingestion of buttercream upregulates happiness. In all seriousness, you don't have to be a neurologist to get something out of the grand rounds presentations. Of course, any lecture topic is pretty much guaranteed to be repeated at another point (the only exception- the conference about death... I wish I could've gone to that one... I'll have to wait another year for the conference to repeat). If you're really interested, go. If you're genuinely too terrified to even consider attending the lecture, there's always another one. Neurology grand rounds has a different topic every week... you'll get another email about next week's topic.

Columbia DOES send a lot of mass emails... invitations to join Weight Watchers, discounts on teeth whitening, a invitation to apply for psychoanalytic training for psychodynamic psychotherapy (so much psycho), obituaries (when someone important dies, there's a mass email), and sooo many lectures.

They send these emails to everyone at the medical center. And I mean EVERYONE. I am a lowly research assistant and I've been getting these e-mails since I started here. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Columbia really does send out too many mass emails. lol

Columbia DOES send a lot of mass emails... invitations to join Weight Watchers, discounts on teeth whitening, a invitation to apply for psychoanalytic training for psychodynamic psychotherapy (so much psycho), obituaries (when someone important dies, there's a mass email), and sooo many lectures.

Sweet. I love e-mail.

Buttercream is an essential element of neuroanatomy- it's one of the key "gustatory neurotransmitters." Ingestion of buttercream upregulates happiness. In all seriousness, you don't have to be a neurologist to get something out of the grand rounds presentations. Of course, any lecture topic is pretty much guaranteed to be repeated at another point (the only exception- the conference about death... I wish I could've gone to that one... I'll have to wait another year for the conference to repeat). If you're really interested, go. If you're genuinely too terrified to even consider attending the lecture, there's always another one. Neurology grand rounds has a different topic every week... you'll get another email about next week's topic.

Color me intimidated.

has anyone received a housing assignment? i just recently sent in my housing app after coming off the wait list so i don't know if i'm the only one who hasn't gotten a room yet.

They guarantee housing for all first year students, so if you haven't received yours, don't worry, they're not all out of rooms. In fact, they keep extra available for people who change their minds at the last minute, or third/fourth years on surgical rotation.

I just finished the summer reading, which was amazing if somewhat painful. I completely get why they chose it for us, and I have to say I was pleased with the author's presentation of the material. It would have been so easy to demonize the docs or the parents, but that would have missed the point. I'm excited to have small groups on this (obviously).

I just finished the summer reading, which was amazing if somewhat painful. I completely get why they chose it for us, and I have to say I was pleased with the author's presentation of the material. It would have been so easy to demonize the docs or the parents, but that would have missed the point. I'm excited to have small groups on this (obviously).

... what summer reading???

Members don't see this ad :)
I JUST GRADUATED FROM CULINARY SCHOOL!

I think I might have been offered a job at a restaurant.

I kinda scratched my head and wondered, "if by ****** you mean Children's Boston... and if by pastry cook you mean peds cardiac surgeon... then I'm totally on it."

Heh, same here. I probably finished it within 24 hours of buying it. Quite a gripping story, but an incredibly difficult one to think about (sooo many different issues it brings up). I think the author definitely has a bias favoring Lia's family, although I agree that she doesn't demonize the doctors or really put blame on anyone. I do understand why they picked it for us, but MAN was it depressing.

... what summer reading???

We've got to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman. See here for details- there really aren't a lot. We just have to read the book and be prepared to discuss it.

I JUST GRADUATED FROM CULINARY SCHOOL!

I think I might have been offered a job at a restaurant.

I kinda scratched my head and wondered, "if by ****** you mean Children's Boston... and if by pastry cook you mean peds cardiac surgeon... then I'm totally on it."

CONGRATULATIONS :hardy::hardy::hardy:. Even if you aren't planning to devote your life to pastry, it's still a huge honor to have someone offer you a job. I don't know if you're given the option of working just for the summer before school starts. If you end up able to work just for the summer and find yourself wishing that you were working on peds cardiac surgery rather than pastry, you can do what I do as a lab technician and pretend that little menial tasks are practice for surgery (yeah, cause pipetting is totally like repairing an aneurysm :rolleyes:... if I don't pipette out exactly 500 uL PEOPLE COULD DIE).

This may seem a little premature, but could someone comment on how much time is devoted to step 1 study in second year? Is it about 4 weeks, and do people feel crunched on time?

We've got to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman. See here for details- there really aren't a lot. We just have to read the book and be prepared to discuss it.

CONGRATULATIONS :hardy::hardy::hardy:. Even if you aren't planning to devote your life to pastry, it's still a huge honor to have someone offer you a job. I don't know if you're given the option of working just for the summer before school starts. If you end up able to work just for the summer and find yourself wishing that you were working on peds cardiac surgery rather than pastry, you can do what I do as a lab technician and pretend that little menial tasks are practice for surgery (yeah, cause pipetting is totally like repairing an aneurysm :rolleyes:... if I don't pipette out exactly 500 uL PEOPLE COULD DIE).

Thanks for the info! I don't know why I don't have any recollection of that letter... Interesting.

Hahaha. :laugh: zOMG!!! 498uL... :eek: :eek: :eek:... :(.

I was thinking about trying to find an internship making sugar flowers and working in a specialty cake business... but it would probably take a lot of time. I'll prob just race bikes and read books for the next two months.

Are you gonna be in the lab all summer?

Ooh, I'm not going to be in the lab for much longer... In one week, I will be beginning a glorious vacation :D. I'm tempted to bring a neuroanatomy book that I started reading, but that seems to defeat the purpose of being on vacation (although it IS a particularly fun neuroanatomy book).

Is anyone getting the meal plan? Has anyone heard anything about them? I vaguely remember a student mentioning it during second look...

Good question. I just got the thing in the mail. I think I might do it. I figure I probably won't have time too much time to cook on weekdays between reading and riding bikes...

I've also heard that a microwave and a mini fridge are adequate.

I'm reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I'm getting a little worked up about this book. The misunderstandings are so understandable... yet still so out there.

I may opt in for the meal plan. But I also plan on building a mini kitchen in my room. :)

I actually got the book from my boss for Christmas (she knew I was applying to med school and recommended it). I liked the book. It really has a lot of food for thought.

Suggest you buy a mini-freezer & bring some frozen meat (soups, etc.) from home if do-able. Only 1 grocery store in walking distance & it is expensive. Try Circuit City online for good price/free shipping.

Good question. I just got the thing in the mail. I think I might do it. I figure I probably won't have time too much time to cook on weekdays between reading and riding bikes...

I've also heard that a microwave and a mini fridge are adequate.

I'm reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I'm getting a little worked up about this book. The misunderstandings are so understandable... yet still so out there.

yes a mini-freezer or a mini fridge with a decently-sized freezer is a good idea (freezing meat, veggies and sauces, and of course storing ice cream!) Buying used is the way to go since fridges tend to last a long time. you can get one that's a (supposedly) a year or two old for about half the price of a new one and resell when you don't need it at the same price. Hit up Craigslist or wait till you get on campus: Bard will be littered with flyers.

I suppose the only grocery story imamom is talking about is Gristede's. yea, it's kinda expensive for most things. Certainly not the only one around: get other groceries at FineFare a couple blocks down, buy cereal on sale at RiteAid, and stock up occasionally at Fairway (a short subway ride or decent bike ride away, but so worth it. It's definitely my favorite supermarket ever -- with a cold room! Can you tell that I'm a foodie?).

Someone asked about boards. last year, they had 5.5 weeks for boards study and vacation (the earlier you take it, the more time you have for travel/relaxing whatever). This year, we had 6.5 weeks. so it'll be in that ballpark.

Hey all, A group of incoming first years who are already in New York are all getting together on thursday at 7pm for dinner. If anyone from the incoming class is interested in joining us just let me know. So far 7 of us are planning on meeting up but we would love to have more!

Hey all, A group of incoming first years who are already in New York are all getting together on thursday at 7pm for dinner. If anyone from the incoming class is interested in joining us just let me know. So far 7 of us are planning on meeting up but we would love to have more!

Sweeeet. :thumbup:

Good times. :thumbup:

We'll have to do it again! Maybe with a slightly more reasonable MD : MudPhudder ratio? :smuggrin: Or maybe you guys shouldn't push us off to one end of the table. :laugh:

Just kidding.

I just RSVP'd for the White Coat Ceremony which I believe marks my official transition from elation to attending school to nervousness at the prospect of starting. Does anyone know the etiquette for the proceedings in terms of attire? Would you say graduation ceremony level dress?

I just RSVP'd for the White Coat Ceremony which I believe marks my official transition from elation to attending school to nervousness at the prospect of starting. Does anyone know the etiquette for the proceedings in terms of attire? Would you say graduation ceremony level dress?

???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Recent mailing???

Just want to clarify something: the orientation pass costs $55 and then we are also charged an addition $48 for the broadway show?

That sounds right to me (as much as it would be nice for P&S to pay for our show ticket, haha yeah right) but I just want to check before I buy something extra. Regardless, $48 for a show is a nice price!

Crap, Small white coats are 36-38. I'm a little small for a 36 (strictly speaking I think I'm a 35). These coats are suppose to run large too. Argh. Does that mean I get the XS?!

Just want to clarify something: the orientation pass costs $55 and then we are also charged an addition $48 for the broadway show?

That sounds right to me (as much as it would be nice for P&S to pay for our show ticket, haha yeah right) but I just want to check before I buy something extra. Regardless, $48 for a show is a nice price!

Yep.

I'm going to need a translation of these white coat sizes into girl sizes. :rolleyes:

I'm going to need a translation of these white coat sizes into girl sizes. :rolleyes:

Hahaha. Rough. I wonder why they only have men's sizes.

I just don't want to be one of those dudes who looks ridiculous. :( There is always at least one person. I don't want to be that guy.

Orientation in one week... :eek::eek::eek:

YAY MEDICAL SCHOOL :D
also... HOLY CRAP MEDICAL SCHOOL :scared:

I worry that the Olympic theme of the orientation is going to be detrimental to my social networking potential. I'm already intimidated by my colleagues. I don't need competitive events to prove my inferiority (also, if the administration sees me attempt a 100 meter dash, they'll revoke my acceptance... I can run long distances, but I am just awful at short-distance running). What if everyone else is so incredibly smart that, in order to keep up with everyone, I have to carry a 5 lb stack of flashcards and a practice suture kit everywhere I go?

So I'm living in the non-student apartments at 80 Haven -- is anyone else moving in here? My boyfriend and I moved in two weeks ago, and it's been nice -- we finally have all the furniture we need (furnished apartments do have their benefits). Plus, we got two tiny kittens on Friday, so now the apartment is really shaping up as a place to live.

I'd love to know if I have other first-years in the building (or to have people visit the kittens).

See you all on Monday (only two more days).

i'm a second-year who lived in bard last year, and have the following items for sale:

danby 3.2 cubic ft stainless steel compact refrigerator. paid $170 last fall, $90 negotiable.

haier 5200 BTU window air conditioner. paid $85, will sell for $50.

thanks, let me know.