Columbia P&S Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notlikethat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all those who will be at Columbia this Fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got accepted, so happy :)

Are you definitely going to Columbia? I'm still deciding, but Columbia is high on my list.

Ya i am definitely going! I already sent out my acceptance letter and am very very excited about it. Columbia because my clear first choice after my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure i'm going. It's my top choice. Congrats to everyone!

I'm definitely going! WOOOOHOOOO!!!

I had to pinch myself this morning and reread the letter about 87,000 times.

Are you guys going to the revisit weekend? I'd love to meet my future classmates, but I don't know if I can. I have to travel to races Friday afternoon, and I have class both days. I guess I might show up for Thursday and not Friday.

I wonder if it'd be lame to change my facebook profile to include Columbia 2012...

Just got accepted! I'm 99.99% sure I'm going! I'm going back to my alma mater! I love Columbia!

Just got accepted! I'm 99.99% sure I'm going! I'm going back to my alma mater! I love Columbia!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Oh man, is anyone else still kinda nervous hoping other people on the Columbia thread in Pre-Allo get in?

I keep checking to see who else is scoring acceptances. :D

CONGRATULATIONS!

Oh man, is anyone else still kinda nervous hoping other people on the Columbia thread in Pre-Allo get in?

I keep checking to see who else is scoring acceptances. :D

hahaha me too man me too

I really want to know who my class will be!

I'm just lurking on here (no news yet), but I think it's really sweet that you guys care about the rest of us even though you've already been accepted! I really do hope I get to go to school with you guys. In the meantime, enjoy your acceptances! You deserve them!

Just got the acceptance package in the mail! Can't wait for second look weekend!

I'm just lurking on here (no news yet), but I think it's really sweet that you guys care about the rest of us even though you've already been accepted! I really do hope I get to go to school with you guys. In the meantime, enjoy your acceptances! You deserve them!

I'm pulling for you!

Just got the acceptance package in the mail! Can't wait for second look weekend!

Yay! Congrats! Are you going to attend both days?? Am I the only one who might only go one day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on going to second look week too. Which day are you missing?

I'm planning to go to both days! I might try to sneak out early on Friday though to go to work. I'm so excited! Congrats everyone!

I don't know if I'm going to both days. Its on a Thurs and Friday. I wish it was a Fri and Sat. Taking two days off work is going to put me in a spot when I need to take off two days a couple of weeks after for a wedding. Maybe just Friday??

Congrats to everyone!

Yes.. yes you are. Why are you missing the other day?

Ah crap.

Well, I have classes both days, and if I miss more than 6 classes, I have to repeat the level. At the moment, I only have one absence, so strictly speaking it isn't a problem yet.

However, I also have to take off on Friday for a couple bike races over the weekend. I'm either going to Boston or Philly; I haven't ironed out my race schedule yet.

I guess I could make it on Friday too. I just didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic leaving the city at 5 or 6 on a Friday.

MsJLewis, that's a tough bind! Do you have a good relationship with your boss? Maybe you could be extra industrious for the next month and act really tired so that your boss can feel good about telling you to take both days off to go meet your future classmates!

this is a totally random question but does anyone know columbias policy on ap credits. i have one credit for chem + 1 semester gen chem that i took. im hoping ive fulfilled the gen chem requirement...:confused:

this is a totally random question but does anyone know columbias policy on ap credits. i have one credit for chem + 1 semester gen chem that i took. im hoping ive fulfilled the gen chem requirement...:confused:

jk i just called im alright. btw if anyone is worried about english requirements, the nice admissions lady said that pretty much any course with intensive writing would fulfill that :love: columbia :love:

I'm definitely going! WOOOOHOOOO!!!

I had to pinch myself this morning and reread the letter about 87,000 times.

Are you guys going to the revisit weekend? I'd love to meet my future classmates, but I don't know if I can. I have to travel to races Friday afternoon, and I have class both days. I guess I might show up for Thursday and not Friday.

I wonder if it'd be lame to change my facebook profile to include Columbia 2012...

or, you could make a Columbia P&S c/o 2012 facebook group. :p

Helllllloooooo!!!!!!! fellow P&S pals!!:)

Hope to meet all of you soon, I can't believe it, I'm so thankful,

Top choice, first acceptance - many many many rejections (i've made a collage!):luck:

Congrats to everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys next month at 2nd look!!!

And back to that topic:
Has anyone heard specifically what events go on which days for the 2nd look? I am going to try to go both days but if I can't, I was curious if more stuff goes on on Thursday or Friday??? Any current P&S students lurking who know??

Hahaha. I just went on facebook and noticed that!

Hmmm... what should we do??? Should we all go into notlikethat's group and start a splinter faction? :D

Haha its ok i didnt see that earlier I guess. I have thus destroyed my group and will be joining the other.

Congrats to everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys next month at 2nd look!!!

And back to that topic:
Has anyone heard specifically what events go on which days for the 2nd look? I am going to try to go both days but if I can't, I was curious if more stuff goes on on Thursday or Friday??? Any current P&S students lurking who know??

I dont think they have released a schedule yet. I do know the MD/PhD group is meeting on friday tho

Haha its ok i didnt see that earlier I guess. I have thus destroyed my group and will be joining the other.

Alright. I joined. Now the question is do we add "Columbia 2012" to our facebook profiles. I don't know if I'm ready for that. That's a big step. I may need someone to hold my hand.

And back to that topic:

I wish I knew. I already tried asking current students, and it seems like there isn't a set schedule yet. I really need to know, though, because there are multiple revisits on that weekend and I have to do the juggling game.

Alright. I joined. Now the question is do we add "Columbia 2012" to our facebook profiles. I don't know if I'm ready for that. That's a big step. I may need someone to hold my hand.

Haha I am holding off on that step til I get whatever info they are going to send me and I feel like I am part of Columbia. Right now I am still waiting for them to realize that they accidentally sent me an acceptance

Haha I am holding off on that step til I get whatever info they are going to send me and I feel like I am part of Columbia. Right now I am still waiting for them to realize that they accidentally sent me an acceptance

HAHA i have been so worried that they accidentally accepted me!! i'm 99.9% sure i'm going to columbia and can't wait to meet you all at 2nd look weekend :)

HAHA i have been so worried that they accidentally accepted me!! i'm 99.9% sure i'm going to columbia and can't wait to meet you all at 2nd look weekend :)

Yeah. I'm in the exact same position. After 16 rejections, I figured I had no chance at P&S. In fact, I haven't even withdrawn my other acceptance, because I'm worried that this is all some complex mirage/psychotic episode/hallucination/vivid dream.

Yeah. I'm in the exact same position. After 16 rejections, I figured I had no chance at P&S. In fact, I haven't even withdrawn my other acceptance, because I'm worried that this is all some complex mirage/psychotic episode/hallucination/vivid dream.

I withdrew mine just so when Columbia tells me they made a mistake and have to take back the acceptance I can guilt trip them into letting me stay.... That and in my letter of intent (read: love letter) to them I explicitly stated that I would withdraw if they let me in

Oh man, I'm so psyched.

Does anyone know what the living situations are? I wasn't really paying attention during the Tour, because I was so nervous about the interview. I remember Bard Hall being very dorm-like and the Towers being pretty sweet. That's about it, though.

Bard Hall for MS1s and the towers for the rest of the years was the impression I was given. Bard Hall was slightly depressing after living for a year in the real world... Oh well!

Oh man, I'm so psyched.

Does anyone know what the living situations are? I wasn't really paying attention during the Tour, because I was so nervous about the interview. I remember Bard Hall being very dorm-like and the Towers being pretty sweet. That's about it, though.

Yes, the housing situation is you will be living with a bunch of people who rock.

Bard Hall in year 1 or you can live off campus. If you live in Bard for year 1 you can get into the lottery to get into the Towers for year 2. If you dont get chosen in the lottery you are guranteed housing in the Towers for year 3 and such. Bard Hall is very dorm like - everyone gets a single and there is a group bathroom. But i think this will foster a good deal of class unity and its NYC so you generally have to make housing sacrifices.

Bard Hall for MS1s and the towers for the rest of the years was the impression I was given. Bard Hall was slightly depressing after living for a year in the real world... Oh well!

Yes, the housing situation is you will be living with a bunch of people who rock.

Bard Hall in year 1 or you can live off campus. If you live in Bard for year 1 you can get into the lottery to get into the Towers for year 2. If you dont get chosen in the lottery you are guranteed housing in the Towers for year 3 and such. Bard Hall is very dorm like - everyone gets a single and there is a group bathroom. But i think this will foster a good deal of class unity and its NYC so you generally have to make housing sacrifices.

Hahaha. I didn't think Bard hall was that bad. It'll take some time to get used to the dorm life again (lived off campus my last 2 years of college). Between high school and college, I lived in dorms for 6 straight years, though, so I'm hoping I'll adapt quickly.

A friend of mine who is doing his PhD in Biochemistry wants me to live off campus with him. I feel like I'll miss out a little on the P&S experience, though... how to break it to him...

Oh. Totally unrelated. I'm trying to grow a mullet for fun right now. I hope it comes in by the time second look rolls around. That would be awesome... :laugh: :D

Hahaha. I didn't think Bard hall was that bad. It'll take some time to get used to the dorm life again (lived off campus my last 2 years of college). Between high school and college, I lived in dorms for 6 straight years, though, so I'm hoping I'll adapt quickly.

A friend of mine who is doing his PhD in Biochemistry wants me to live off campus with him. I feel like I'll miss out a little on the P&S experience, though... how to break it to him...

He just wants pastries.. but seriously tho unless you are married or such i think it would be a waste to live off campus your first year. I am sure everyone will be really tight with their floor and if you dont live in Bard your first year you cant get into the lottery for the Towers.

HAHAHA, that's a great way to phrase it.

I'm always back and forth about whether or not I'd want to live in Bard. I've had a lot of experience with Bard for someone who hasn't been a P&S student. In fact, I have been mistaken for a P&S student quite a few times. I think Bard is ok, I guess. It could be worse (*ahem*west wing of Reed Hall at Hopkins*ahem*). But, as MsJLewis said, it'll be a transition after being in the real world for 2 years. The upsides are cost, and getting to know your classmates well (not that you wouldn't get to know them if you live off campus, but it's easier).

hey everyone! So, I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but what are we supposed to do with the reply form ("accept the acceptance") if we're still not sure where we're going to go? I'm assuming I should send it in and if I decide against Columbia later (horrors!) then it's not binding? Thanks, and can't wait to meet everyone at second look (pretty sure I'm going to that!)

I think it is nonbinding. I am pretty sure you have til May 15 or so to decide. After May 15 you can only have 1 offer, but until then I am pretty sure its non binding

im pretty sure none of the offers for acceptance are binding as of yet. you are allowed to hold onto multiple acceptances until may 15th i believe. its gonna be a tough decision but im thankful to be in a position to decide :):hardy:

Hey I dunno how many days I'll make it back for the revisit either, but I'll definitely be there on Thursday. Ack. So. Much. Excitement.

1st year P&S student here. Congratz everyone, now you can all relax and come to REVISIT. I know Thursday we'll be taking you guys out to bars so make sure to be here.

1st year P&S student here. Congratz everyone, now you can all relax and come to REVISIT. I know Thursday we'll be taking you guys out to bars so make sure to be here.

Nice to know we're welcome, and that you all have enough free time to find bars you prefer! About that fantastic revisit -- we are responsible for the airfare, etc, am I correct? That would be my only real problem with coming out. I'm not sure my boyfriend and I can afford the flights from Oregon to NYC, after all I've spent on interviews.

Revisit weekend is going to be so cathartic after this long, brutal process. I'm looking forward to putting the party shoes on and actually celebrating the MD path. Hope to see many of you there. Maybe in a couple weeks some of us on the east coast can put together some car pools to save some $ and get a head start on that precious med student bonding?