Columbia P&S Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't sent in my housing application yet. I guess I should do it soon, though.

As far as I know, housing for first years is guaranteed!

Congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in New York City, so if there's going to be any pre-orientation meetups, I'm game.

Congrats SBBunny! Have you joined the facebook group yet? There will likely be some sort of pre-orientation meetup. I know I have talked about it and I believe dienekes88 has too. I will definitely try and organize something when I move up there next month (dienekes, wanna help? :D).

I have indeed joined the Facebook group. That's what prompted the sudden housing panic. I'm jealous that everyone else has their Bard room assignments. I want my assignment :(. My keen internet sleuthing revealed that the orientation starts on August 18th (move-in the weekend before). Can people move in earlier than that?

I'm so overwhelmed that I actually know where I'm going to be next year :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'M (still) GOING TO COLUMBIA!!!!
The novelty has not yet worn off. On my way to work (I'm currently working at the Columbia Medical Center), I almost had tears in my eyes. WOOOOOH!!!!!!

I have indeed joined the Facebook group. That's what prompted the sudden housing panic. I'm jealous that everyone else has their Bard room assignments. I want my assignment :(. My keen internet sleuthing revealed that the orientation starts on August 18th (move-in the weekend before). Can people move in earlier than that?

I'm so overwhelmed that I actually know where I'm going to be next year :eek:

You can move in up to 2 days before the official move-in day. You just have to pay ~$25. per day for each additional day.

I'm more worried about the photos than about the transcript :scared:. The passport photos that I used for my secondaries were not particularly flattering (neither are most of the pictures taken of me).

I'm more worried about the photos than about the transcript :scared:. The passport photos that I used for my secondaries were not particularly flattering (neither are most of the pictures taken of me).

Yours can't possibly be worse than mine. I look like an exhausted serial killer in my photos. We went through a couple tries, because even the guy taking the pictures at Duane Reade thought I looked terrible.

I look like a crackhead in mine, I will be retaking the pictures. The acceptance packet has a form for sending in a new pic

a friend looked at my college ID photo and remarked, "your eyes look like Satan." A couple people have agreed with that remark... The picture made me look about 20 lbs heavier and 25 years older. It was absolutely the worst photo I've ever taken. My secondary photo was admittedly better than that one, but still not good. Well, whatever, it's just a picture- nobody's going to judge me by it! I mean, the ID photo just needs to give me access to the relevant buildings and it's not like people are going to leaf through the orientation book photos to decide who to be friends with...

Well... we'll see who has scariest/dumbest ID photo when the facebook comes out. I'm guessing that it'll be me.

Got my housing assignment! :)

Wooh! Congrats on the housing assignment! I'm hoping for mine sometime soon... I handed my stuff in person on Wednesday and was told to expect something "definitely by next week." I'm kind of hoping it'll be in the mail tomorrow...

When do we get our e-mail accounts and stuff like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to www.columbia.edu and in the top left search for your name (make sure you click people instead of Websites). If they have assigned you a UNI (you columbia id) then your name should appear with your UNI. Once you get that you can activate it at https://ssol.columbia.edu/. Once activated you can log in to your email account.

I dunno if they have put up everyones UNIs yet though

That doesn't work for me. I guess my UNI isn't up yet. However I do remember seeing an CUID number on my financial aid award forms.

I called the admissions office/was transferred to Student Affairs and they said to expect our UNIs sometime in the middle of June. If you already have a UNI (Columbia employees / current Columbia students), information services will probably just reassign you the same account (effectively "renewing" your UNI). Hope that helps answer some questions :). Check out last year's orientaiton page (http://psclub.columbia.edu/ps2011/). It has some useful information if you're really eager to start preparing for medical school.

I wish we could request a specific academic advisor... Maybe I'm a dork, but I'm more interested about my advisor assignment than my room assignment. I know that it's important to be openminded (and I am, really!). I fully believe that all of the advisors are excellent mentors and would help me with any specialty that I would choose. I'm just particularly excited about certain fields (*cough*Neurosurgery*cough*).

I called the admissions office/was transferred to Student Affairs and they said to expect our UNIs sometime in the middle of June. If you already have a UNI (Columbia employees / current Columbia students), information services will probably just reassign you the same account (effectively "renewing" your UNI). Hope that helps answer some questions :). Check out last year's orientaiton page (http://psclub.columbia.edu/ps2011/). It has some useful information if you're really eager to start preparing for medical school.

I wish we could request a specific academic advisor... Maybe I'm a dork, but I'm more interested about my advisor assignment than my room assignment. I know that it's important to be openminded (and I am, really!). I fully believe that all of the advisors are excellent mentors and would help me with any specialty that I would choose. I'm just particularly excited about certain fields (*cough*Neurosurgery*cough*).

Hmmm... I'm kinda interested in meeting faculty too.

Columbia-Presbyterian is a pretty big deal in Neurosurgery. :D Guess that's part of why you're so excited?

P&S is a total neurosurgical resident factory. I don't know what it is, but the past 5 years have averaged around 6 or 7 per year matching NSG.

I made souffles today. Yum.

Interesting article on the Columbia/Cleveland Clinic merger: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...880.xml&coll=2

This is great news for both institutions! Columbia will boast affiliations with NYP and Cleveland Clinic. This also means that Columbia will add about $90 millon to its NIH grants. Cleveland Clinic will of course get the benefit of being associated with a top 10, ivy league institution. Seems like a win-win situation. I heard that this will go through within 1-2 years (maybe less).

Hmmm... I'm kinda interested in meeting faculty too.

Columbia-Presbyterian is a pretty big deal in Neurosurgery. :D Guess that's part of why you're so excited?

P&S is a total neurosurgical resident factory. I don't know what it is, but the past 5 years have averaged around 6 or 7 per year matching NSG.

I made souffles today. Yum.

I think that Columbia's neurosurgical strength is a combination of an excellent reputation in all surgical disciplines (and everything else) and incredibly strong neuroscience research. The neurosurgeons that I've met are really great people (their patients seem to really like them :thumbup:).

Hooray for souffles! Were they savory or sweet?

Does anyone else wonder why the P&S homepage always has a picture of the Bard Hall Players? I had no idea that musical theatre was such a big deal in medical school...

Hooray for souffles! Were they savory or sweet?

Both! Made souffle pancakes today... and a souffle baked in a hollowed out apple.

Does anyone else wonder why the P&S homepage always has a picture of the Bard Hall Players? I had no idea that musical theatre was such a big deal in medical school...

Hahaha. I think they put on 3 shows per year?!

Ridiculous. I thought med school was all about reading/self-flagellation... :)

Hahaha. I think they put on 3 shows per year?!

Ridiculous. I thought med school was all about reading/self-flagellation... :)

I saw the spring show this year, and it was really good! I'm so excited for P&S!!!

My housing assignment and contract are only for the fall semester? Is this normal? Do we have to reapply and/or switch rooms for the spring semester?

Thanks in advance.

My housing assignment and contract are only for the fall semester? Is this normal? Do we have to reapply and/or switch rooms for the spring semester?

Thanks in advance.

All the contracts are like that. So don't worry, its normal. You will just have to fill out another one for spring sem later. I highly doubt they would make you switch rooms.

All the contracts are like that. So don't worry, its normal. You will just have to fill out another one for spring sem later. I highly doubt they would make you switch rooms.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Can you get the housing application online? I just got accepted off the waitlist on Friday and haven't recieved a housing application in the mail yet. Thanks!

I haven't sent in my housing application yet. I guess I should do it soon, though.

As far as I know, housing for first years is guaranteed!

Congrats again!

According to the online student handbook (http://ps-handbook.com/node/225), "All first year single students are guaranteed housing in Bard Hall for their first year of medical school."

Congrats on the acceptance RocAd!!

I don't think the application is up on the website. There's a whole, 3-step process we had to go through for housing assignments but they may shorten that for you! Anyway, if you're anxious, just give the housing office a call--they're really helpful and I'm sure they'll get the info to you ASAP.

See you in August!

Congrats RocAd!

Thanks for looking that up. I'm sure that question will be asked numerous times in the coming weeks.

Looks like the new one is up! http://psclub.columbia.edu/ps2012/

We have to BUY and Orientation Pass to go to all the fun orientation events?! I thought orientation was the university's way of welcoming us! Lame!

I still love you Columbia but can't you throw a dog a bone? :rolleyes:

Lol - and so it begins... *rain clouds roll in, thunder claps, money is torn from our hands*

We have to BUY and Orientation Pass to go to all the fun orientation events?! I thought orientation was the university's way of welcoming us! Lame!

I still love you Columbia but can't you throw a dog a bone? :rolleyes:

Ohhh im sure they have plans to take way more than 55 dollars

Ohhh im sure they have plans to take way more than 55 dollars

What?! Medical school is going to cost money!? Noooooooo........

Maybe I'll have a bake sale... maybe I'll have 4,000 bake sales. That should cover it.

What?! Medical school is going to cost money!? Noooooooo........

Maybe I'll have a bake sale... maybe I'll have 4,000 bake sales. That should cover it.

I just looked up the cost of a wedding cake and i found out fancy ones can be over 1000 dollars. Sounds pretty lucrative right there. You could fund your way through med school

We have to BUY an Orientation Pass

Well, many schools (undergrad, med school) sneak in an orientation fee into the bill. Here, we give you the choice. It feels like you're paying more, but it's all the same, and you can opt out if you choose.

Last edited:
The price is fine. That's not the issue. Personally, I like it when schools slide that fee into the tuition. So you never know about it and you show up to orientation feeling all pampered and loved by the school. But I guess that was only in undergrad... le-sigh.

Sliding $55 into the tuition fee would mean another $55 in GradPlus loans for me... Whatever. If I really cared about making money, I'd become an accountant.

I wonder how many people actually attend the orientation events... I worry that med school orientation is going to be like undergrad orientation, where I feel like I'm the only one who actually cares about the various info sessions and the ice-breaker social events (read: the only person so painfully dorky that scheduled activities will be my main venue for meeting people).

Anyone get their Columbia email account yet?

Sliding $55 into the tuition fee would mean another $55 in GradPlus loans for me... Whatever. If I really cared about making money, I'd become an accountant.

I wonder how many people actually attend the orientation events... I worry that med school orientation is going to be like undergrad orientation, where I feel like I'm the only one who actually cares about the various info sessions and the ice-breaker social events (read: the only person so painfully dorky that scheduled activities will be my main venue for meeting people).

I am going to be ALL OVER the orientation events. Broadway? Yes. Boat cruise? Hells yes. Bacchus wine tasting? Booyah.

Based on revisit, everyone was awesome and social - I think people will turn out for events. I'm just worried about getting my room into some semblance of order in one short week.

I'll certainly be at all the orientation events!

Yay! I'm glad that med school orientation is going to be better attended than undergrad orientation. I'm so excited :D

hey, i just got in off the wait list last week, can't wait til august!! :D

You realize we're going to medical school, right? :D Dorkiness is a prerequisite! I am a mega-dork and have no problem admitting it.

hey, i just got in off the wait list last week, can't wait til august!! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!

I just looked up the cost of a wedding cake and i found out fancy ones can be over 1000 dollars. Sounds pretty lucrative right there. You could fund your way through med school

Hahaha. It's not like there are already too many wedding cake businesses in New York City already... :laugh: 3 of my chef-instructors own cake businesses. They're good. In fact... they're VERY good.

Sure you can charge $8-$25/serving, but you need a professional kitchen, capital investments, ingredients... and TIME. The wedding cake I'm making for class is going to take three days... 5.5 hours per day. Maybe I'll post pictures of it when I'm done...

UNI's are up for those of us who need to obsessively surf those parts of the CUMC site that were previously off limits.

UNI's are up for those of us who need to obsessively surf those parts of the CUMC site that were previously off limits.

AWESOMESAUCE! Thanks for the update!