Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Halitosis said:
anyone thinking about meal plans on the undergrad campus?

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/dining/docs/meal_plans_flex/pages/meal_plans.html

most venues are closed on sat and sun, which is perfect for us.

I'm doing that meal plan for sure. The food will suck, as it does at any campus, but it'll remind of home (college campus cooking).

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't even look at that. so we would have to go down to the undergrad campus to eat every meal? eh, no thanks. PB+J, Mac and cheese, and Heineken will suffice for me. if i get the georgian, then i shall cook and impress all the hot nursing students next door.

yeah, bard would be fun. everything would be there. but i'm done living in a box. even the communal showers won't be enough to draw me back into dorm life.

even if the communal showers end up being the epitome of romping, sexual horseplay we are all perversely fantasizing about, who's to say I can't stop by and "shower" after working out at the bard gym?

Members don't see this ad :)
ur already thinking abt the future? delete ur post u gunner!!

MrBenny said:
i didn't even look at that. so we would have to go down to the undergrad campus to eat every meal? eh, no thanks. PB+J, Mac and cheese, and Heineken will suffice for me. if i get the georgian, then i shall cook and impress all the hot nursing students next door.

yeah, bard would be fun. everything would be there. but i'm done living in a box. even the communal showers won't be enough to draw me back into dorm life.

even if the communal showers end up being the epitome of romping, sexual horseplay we are all perversely fantasizing about, who's to say I can't stop by and "shower" after working out at the bard gym?

feasting at the undergrad campus might not be so bad if ur going there for its library anyways, u know. the chairs at the hammer look like they can destroy my a55.

anyone know how long and how much $$ to get to morningside campus?

MrBenny said:
yep..i signed up for the side by side deal. hoping for a single room in a 3 person suite at georgian. that would be ideal. and hoping that we are surrounded on all sides by nursing students. female nursing students, definitely. hot nursing students, preferably.

benny san,
for that single room in a georgian 3p suite....do u know what the living arrangements will be like? i heard no oven in the kitchenette, right?

MrBenny said:

the shower room will prolly be locked, accessible only to ppl living on that floor. u'll regret it when it turns out to be the sex palace of caligula every night.

Halitosis said:
benny san,
for that single room in a georgian 3p suite....do u know what the living arrangements will be like? i heard no oven in the kitchenette, right?

I believe the 3 p Suite actually has a full kitchen, which includes the oven. Definitely need that oven for my Totino's Pizza, so many years on my own and still can't cook

Halitosis said:
feasting at the undergrad campus might not be so bad if ur going there for its library anyways, u know. the chairs at the hammer look like they can destroy my a55.

anyone know how long and how much $$ to get to morningside campus?

FREE. There is an all day shuttle to the Morningside Campus.

Any word yet on what activities are planned for orientation, I know this was being planned a few weeks ago?

MasterTLT said:
Any word yet on what activities are planned for orientation, I know this was being planned a few weeks ago?

I can't wait to be on this forum chating about these kinds of things!!! - How does it feel?

Members don't see this ad :)
MasterTLT said:

no word yet, but i'm guessing a few activities would be the same from last year. according to columbia 2008 thread, they did: a cruise, bbq, baseball game, white coat ceremony. clubbing is a foregone conclusion.

Halitosis said:
no word yet, but i'm guessing a few activities would be the same from last year. according to columbia 2008 thread, they did: a cruise, bbq, baseball game, white coat ceremony. clubbing is a foregone conclusion.

I talked to a first year who is part of the orientatuin coordination and the planning is still going on. He did mention something about a cruise and some good ol' NY food :thumbup:

it looks like the email system only allows 20mb storage, psh. I'm still keeping my gmail account.

anybody need gmail invites? we're talking gb here.

i really doubt that they would give out keys for the bathrooms in bard. seems too anal and just a pain in the butt. what if you lost your key?

oh, and is anyone on facebook? pm me with your name and i'll add you on.

just talked to housing ppl......on each floor of bard, 35ppl will have to share 5 showers and 3 toilets. i think this is cruel. this isn't like undergrad when ppl wake up at diff times; most of the 35 ppl will want to take a shower/shi.t at approx the same time.

vandy_yankee said:
it looks like the email system only allows 20mb storage, psh. I'm still keeping my gmail account.

anybody need gmail invites? we're talking gb here.

i really doubt that they would give out keys for the bathrooms in bard. seems too anal and just a pain in the butt. what if you lost your key?
they wouldn't want ppl on the street to just waltz into bard pretending to be students and hide in the showers, waiting for girls to drop their soaps.

but, you still have a good pt. i will ask them next time i call.

Halitosis said:
just talked to housing ppl......on each floor of bard, 35ppl will have to share 5 showers and 3 toilets. i think this is cruel. this isn't like undergrad when ppl wake up at diff times; most of the 35 ppl will want to take a shower/shi.t at approx the same time.

I guess this means I'll be taking my showers the night before, also I'm wondering how it's going to be sharing two kitchens for the whole building. I can see the rush to get back and grab a spot in the kitchen to eat a hot meal.

vandy_yankee said:
oh, and is anyone on facebook? pm me with your name and i'll add you on.

Same goes for me, PM me and I'll add you too. I see your a BME Vandy, cool same here.

i thought it said in the info that georgian doesn't have ovens....

so do you know how jam-packed our activities will be during orientation week? my mom is going to help me move in and i don't know if i'll have time to show her around the city the first few days then.

javagrl said:
i thought it said in the info that georgian doesn't have ovens....

so do you know how jam-packed our activities will be during orientation week? my mom is going to help me move in and i don't know if i'll have time to show her around the city the first few days then.

How soon are out of towners moving to NYC?? I'm thinking a couple weeks in advance to adjust and get familiar with the area.

HollaBack said:
How soon are out of towners moving to NYC?? I'm thinking a couple weeks in advance to adjust and get familiar with the area.

Depends on the housing and when we can move in, I'm definately thinking the same thing though. To me moving in and starting right away seems like a bad idea if it can be avoided.

What the hell am I supposed to tell "Dorri Donahue". I dont know how to determine my suit size. Anyone know a method that does not involve going to the tailor?

paolorossifan said:
What the hell am I supposed to tell "Dorri Donahue". I dont know how to determine my suit size. Anyone know a method that does not involve going to the tailor?

Go to any clothing store that sells dress coats, sport jackets, or suits and try one on. Any department store will suffice.

MasterTLT said:
Go to any clothing store that sells dress coats, sport jackets, or suits and try one on. Any department store will suffice.

Damd. Thats a good idea. Thanks man. Can't beleive I didn't think of that...

paolorossifan said:
Damd. Thats a good idea. Thanks man. Can't beleive I didn't think of that...

No problem, I'm full of so much information that is rarely useful it's nice to actually put some of it to use in a constructive manner. Any questions on random things I'm your man, and if I don't know, I'll do my best to make something up so it sounds like I do. :idea:

MasterTLT said:
No problem, I'm full of so much information that is rarely useful it's nice to actually put some of it to use in a constructive manner. Any questions on random things I'm your man, and if I don't know, I'll do my best to make something up so it sounds like I do. :idea:

Sweet. You'll be my go-to guy through our 4 years at the Vandy Clinic...

Halitosis said:

can any columbians comment about this high student:shower ratio? are there long lines in the morning for the showers or the toilets? ever been late b/c of this? also, any comments about boys & girls showering in the same room seperated by a door?

Halitosis said:
can any columbians comment about this high student:shower ratio? are there long lines in the morning for the showers or the toilets? ever been late b/c of this? also, any comments about boys & girls showering in the same room seperated by a door?

Never once this year have I been in the shower and there's more than 3 people. The shower has a total of 6 stalls. No worries. Oh and each stall is covered by a flimsy shower curtain. It keeps it interesting that way. :)

freedyx3 said:
Never once this year have I been in the shower and there's more than 3 people. The shower has a total of 6 stalls. No worries. Oh and each stall is covered by a flimsy shower curtain. It keeps it interesting that way. :)

HA! ok, that's what i was hoping to read. i'm putting bard down as choice 1, with special request for the 30, 31 rooms. thanks Freddy!

perhaps i'm the immature one in this class, as i've been obsessing over this co-ed shower/toilet arragement for quite a while. doesn't anyone else imagine yourself taking a smelling dump, then right when you exit ur stall, a girl comes in and grimaces w/ disgust. what you going to say? "hey, tsup."?

did anyone play intramural bball, soccer, volleyball, etc?

how many games/sem?

how many prac/wk?

how many teams in the league?

pls share any relevant info or comments. thanQ.

Halitosis said:

how many games/sem?

how many prac/wk?

I WANT TO PLAY SOCCER!!!!!!! Man do I hope there is a footy league of some sort for us.

paolorossifan said:
I WANT TO PLAY SOCCER!!!!!!! Man do I hope there is a footy league of some sort for us.

If my ACL allows it sign me up for soccer as well! and BBALL, Tennis and a little CO-ED Football There should be intramural games, MAYBE AGAINST NYU???

Last edited:
HollaBack said:
If my ACL allows it sign me up for soccer as well! and BBALL, Tennis and a little CO-ED Football :love: There should be intramural games, MAYBE AGAINST NYU???

A Columbia-NYU Derby(Darby) would be sweet. We should def. set that up with our cousins downtown.

Halitosis said:

how many games/sem?

how many prac/wk?

I'd be up for bball if my schedule isn't too crazy, on the same note I'm wondering if I should bring my golf clubs.

does anyone know what the class schedule is like for the first year? people (family, friends, my dentist) have been asking me what i'll be taking and i've just been telling them, "uh, stuff."

and what about books for the classes? my dentist has already offered to give me his old grey's anatomy (granted, it's already 30 years old, but has gray's anatomy really changed much? and do the schools even use it anymore?)

vandy_yankee said:
does anyone know what the class schedule is like for the first year? people (family, friends, my dentist) have been asking me what i'll be taking and i've just been telling them, "uh, stuff."

and what about books for the classes? my dentist has already offered to give me his old grey's anatomy (granted, it's already 30 years old, but has gray's anatomy really changed much? and do the schools even use it anymore?)

check out this site:
http://ical.mac.com/WebObjects/iCal.woa/wa/default?u=mldmd&n=1stYearP38S.ics&w=11&v=0&m=2&y=2005

from the p&s 2008 site....at least gives a clue abt our lecture schedule.

books.....i know for clinical anatomy we'll most likely(c/o 08 used it) use the one by april, and physio by costanzo.

hey does anyone else have a hold on thier account due to the physical. and if so does that mean we dont get in the housing line until after we clear this or do u just have to take care of it before school starts.

sdos2009 said:
hey does anyone else have a hold on thier account due to the physical. and if so does that mean we dont get in the housing line until after we clear this or do u just have to take care of it before school starts.

I've got the same hold. Also now wondering the same thing. But as far as I know housing is not affected by the hold, only course registration is.

paolorossifan said:
I've got the same hold. Also now wondering the same thing. But as far as I know housing is not affected by the hold, only course registration is.

i would hope not. how did you guys find this out?

MrBenny said:
i would hope not. how did you guys find this out?

The course registration hold info was in the health packet on one of the introductory letters. The hold was in a letter sent to our CubMail accounts.

^^i'm pretty sure the hold from the physical is only on registration. remember, they said to have it done about one month before we show up to our classes.

plus housing sends a confirmation postcard once you send in your preferences. on the postcard there are three boxes to be checked off, of things they have received (housing request, housing preferences, housing contract), but there is no box for physical--therefore the physical does not affect housing applications.

sdos2009 said:

I had a hold and I just got my physical done, so hopefully it will be lifted soon. I think they just want us to get it done before school starts. I dont believe the hold keep us from completing any other arrangements like housing.

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone was open to the possibility of getting an apartment a few blocks from school. the rent i guess would be like 800 per person for a 2 bedroom apt, but hey we get a living room, bathroom and kitchen between the two of us as opposed to a whole floor of people. i saw pictures of the apt and it looks nice probably cause it was recently redone. anyway if anyone is considering this just let me kno and i will send u the pictures/details.

did anyone EMAIL derri your coat size? did you get a confirmation emailed back to you?

Halitosis said:
did anyone EMAIL derri your coat size? did you get a confirmation emailed back to you?

Yes and yes.

Halitosis said:

who can pm me derri's email? i cannot find mine now. thanks

^what coat size crap?

QUESTION: i know that we do not need teeth for next year, but what about in years 2-4? i'm only asking b/c i dropped off a jar at the oral surgeons during thanksgiving (before i knew of where i was going)...and now that jar is full (prolly around 100teeth or so). do i need it?