Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
paolorossifan said:
Hang in there bud I know LLU fills its class VERY slowly. Also, Columbia is going to send out more invites to interview, which means more spots must still be available.
Is it for real? Are they really sending out more invites? Even when they had so many people on board? Anyways, congrats to me on making the 100 posts and yet I am a ******!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Profchaos said:
Is it for real? Are they really sending out more invites? Even when they had so many people on board? Anyways, congrats to me on making the 100 posts and yet I am a ******!!! :laugh:

Anyone on this board could be liar...so perhaps not all who say they are going to CU are actually in yet. Also, remeber that our class has 75 seats. On the board we have about 10. Which leaves 65 or about.

update:

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh

may-bes: tbrilla

Moved up myself from "may-bes" to "I'm going to NYC!!!" ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
update:

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh, x-linked :)

x-linked said:
update:

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh, x-linked :)

that avatar is gonna give me nightmares.

Hi SDOS 2009!

I accepted a couple weeks ago, so I just wanted to join the SDN club of acceptees. It sounds like you are all awesome people and I hope we'll get a chance to meet in the fall. Has any received the info on financial aid or anything else besides a congratulations letter?

^nope, the only thing regarding finaid i have is the pack they gave during the interview.

but, have you guys started filling out the columbia finaid for they have online? they have a form (for school fin aid) online, but it still hasn't been updated (currently still for school year 2004-2005). i'm assuming when time comes, they'll send it to us?

but, i have filed the FAFSA. figured i can always update later, better to have it in at least.

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh

may-bes: tbrilla, cool fillings

I haven't posted on here for a while, but it's still looking like I'm going to Columbia; I sent in a deposit. I'm still hoping to hear back from UCLA and UCSF, but I'm getting so annoyed because I'd like to have an idea of where I'm going to be next year so I can start to get excited.

MrBenny and drtagman, I'm in LA too, so if you guys are going to meet up, PM me and maybe I can make it too...probably sometime later in March would be best since that when my sports season ends.

have you all received anything other than the original acceptance package? i'm wondering when we'll get the housing info and the school finaid forms...

I'm sending in my rejection tomorrow, so that's one more spot for everyone. I have my reasons for going to UMDNJ instead (it's oh, about 1/4 the tuition) but I still feel kinda sorry, especially after reading those hand-written notes from Dr.s McManus and Davis... I think it's the only letter I recieved with actual handwritten stuff on it, and I was very impressed - but not $136k worth of impressed :D

Good luck to everyone, and have fun in NYC!

congratulations on the choice. columbia is top-notch and ive never second guessed my decision to come here. is it hard? youd better believe it. is it impossible? nope. can and will you still have fun and time to party? ABSOLUTELY. and that is all that counts. youll love it here, take my word. any other questions, feel free to ask.

be easy, folks-

cool fillings said:

I haven't posted on here for a while, but it's still looking like I'm going to Columbia; I sent in a deposit. I'm still hoping to hear back from UCLA and UCSF, but I'm getting so annoyed because I'd like to have an idea of where I'm going to be next year so I can start to get excited.

MrBenny and drtagman, I'm in LA too, so if you guys are going to meet up, PM me and maybe I can make it too...probably sometime later in March would be best since that when my sports season ends.

cool fillings said:
Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh, uclaguy

Add me on as well....I am of course going to UCLA so if there is more of you out there just PM.

vandy_yankee said:
have you all received anything other than the original acceptance package? i'm wondering when we'll get the housing info and the school finaid forms...

I haven't recieved anything yet but I called and I was told that the housing office would be getting their info together and sent it to us in a month or so. I am assuming the fin aid will be coming about the same time, but definatly fill out fafsa asap because it can take a long time verifiying all the info. before you actually get the $.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys, i have been watching this thread for a while when i am waiting for the accentance letter. finally, it came on last saturday.

now, i have to see how i will do on ucsf interview......

pama80 said:
hi guys, i have been watching this thread for a while when i am waiting for the accentance letter. finally, it came on last saturday.

now, i have to see how i will do on ucsf interview......

Yeah, me too. I'm trying to decide between Columbia, UNC, and MD. Anyone have a good Columbia pitch?

Dukie said:
Yeah, me too. I'm trying to decide between Columbia, UNC, and MD. Anyone have a good Columbia pitch?

UNC and MD are both great schools, so I won't be bashing them.
But I will say one thing: nothing beats NYC! =)

Good luck with your decision!

Btw, if you decide on UNC, will you start cheering for the Tar Heels, or stick with the Devils?

NYC rocks!!!..pick Columbia, NC is too slow for me, MD is better but NYC is cooler than Baltimore. Its also very culturally diverse, plus Columbia is ivy league. gl

Kind of just posting to bump this back to the front page, but...

has anyone received anything from Columbia yet after mailing in their deposit? I'd like to have confirmation in writing that I'm for sure on their list (my parents got nervous and called to check for me, and Dr. MacManus told them that they had received my check).

nope, nothing yet, don't worry.

has everyone filled out cu's financial aid student/parent questionnaire?

i just got CU's finaid info package today in the mail. they have one online too, but i don't think it's been updated yet (for the longest time, it said 2004-2005 school year).

please please please, i'm praying, CU be nice to me and cut me some slack. i don't want to bankrupt my very nice parents, and i don't want to live off of pb and jelly for the next four years. pretty please.

have any of you guys in NYC seen Avenue Q or Wicked yet on Broadway? Its always sold out!!! :mad:

cool fillings said:
Kind of just posting to bump this back to the front page, but...

has anyone received anything from Columbia yet after mailing in their deposit? I'd like to have confirmation in writing that I'm for sure on their list (my parents got nervous and called to check for me, and Dr. MacManus told them that they had received my check).

My mom couldn't resist calling either, I told them to relax. Nothing in the mail for me yet.

Dr.BadVibes said:
have any of you guys in NYC seen Avenue Q or Wicked yet on Broadway? Its always sold out!!! :mad:

I wish I could have seen Taboo while I was in town for interviews.

yep, I also got the financial aid info package (2 days ago)...

Haven't seen Avenue Q nor Wicked yet. But all of my friends who've seen both say that Avenue Q is awesome, while Wicked's not that great.

Dr.BadVibes said:

I have seen Avenue Q and it is very funny, although I enjoyed Beauty and the Beast more (I like a few of the songs a lot).

paolorossifan said:
Hang in there bud I know LLU fills its class VERY slowly. Also, Columbia is going to send out more invites to interview, which means more spots must still be available.
I just got the invitation for interview to Columbia last Friday, and have not set up the date yet. Just hope they still have some seats left and I can get one.
Got rejected by LLU 2 weeks after AADSAS sent out my documents. They sent me a letter and said:"in the interest of saving your energy and money, because you are not that compititive, so we will not send you the complimentary form....." really embarrassed.
My boss comforted me that:" It is not a safe city...." :rolleyes:
By the way, what to dress during interview?
Thanks.

benbenxu said:
I just got the invitation for interview to Columbia last Friday, and have not set up the date yet. Just hope they still have some seats left and I can get one.
Got rejected by LLU 2 weeks after AADSAS sent out my documents. They sent me a letter and said:"in the interest of saving your energy and money, because you are not that compititive, so we will not send you the complimentary form....." really embarrassed.
My boss comforted me that:" It is not a safe city...." :rolleyes:
By the way, what to dress during interview?
Thanks.

Congrats on the interview invite, I'm sure you'll love the school even more once you've visited it. As for attire I would recommend nothing less than a suit and tie (or a conservative dress if your a lady...). I've mentioned before that the staff at CU are rather fashion savvy, so if you've been saving that Brooks Bros. suit for a special occasion this would be it.

Also Im astonished that you were rejected by LLU with you stats! I'm very familiar with their admissions process (as a former student of thier former undergrad)....a 22 DAT blows thier avg out of the water. But hey, CU over LLU.........any day. Good luck!

[LLU is still the second best school in the country school imo]

paolorossifan said:
Congrats on the interview invite, I'm sure you'll love the school even more once you've visited it. As for attire I would recommend nothing less than a suit and tie (or a conservative dress if your a lady...). I've mentioned before that the staff at CU are rather fashion savvy, so if you've been saving that Brooks Bros. suit for a special occasion this would be it.

Also Im astonished that you were rejected by LLU with you stats! I'm very familiar with their admissions process (as a former student of thier former undergrad)....a 22 DAT blows thier avg out of the water. But hey, CU over LLU.........any day. Good luck!

[LLU is still the second best school in the country school imo]
Thank you very much for your advice, Paolorossifan.
I have set up the date on 3/18. Not too bad compared to my BU interview date.
I am living Long Island, so I will take train and subway the same day morning.
:)
How many students will be arranged in the same day?

benbenxu said:
Thank you very much for your advice, Paolorossifan.
I have set up the date on 3/18. Not too bad compared to my BU interview date.
I am living Long Island, so I will take train and subway the same day morning.
:)
How many students will be arranged in the same day?

When I interviewed there were exactly 12 people.

For those of you living on campus:

UAH or URH????

I have some questions on computing at Columbia:

I currently have a desktop computer that's in great shape, has all the programs and features I desire, so I don't really want to get a laptop. I don't remember if Columbia is one of the schools that require we buy a laptop specific to the program, or if we must have any type of laptop, or if they don't care what kind of computer we have/we don't need a computer. Anyone know about this? Also, to anyone who currently attends Columbia who might be reading, if a laptop isn't required, is it a good idea to have one anyway? Also, are there printers available to print (I don't have a printer...should I think about getting one? Are there dorms that have computer labs/printers?)?

from what i recall, i remember the students saying you can bring your own computer. in the financial aid packet, i didn't specifically see a cost for a laptop. anyone can back me up on this?

where ya all plannin to live?

no computer requirements, according to a current dental student i spoke with.

as for living, i think georgian would be more comfortable, but bard more fun.

as for living,

my first preference would be towers (apartment style, kitchen!) followed by georgian (own bathroom)....and at the end, bard. i really don't want to go back to frosh year living conditions (no kitchen, communal bathroom) but i have a feeling that all incoming 1st years are at the bottom barrel in terms of choice.

but either way, it's all close to the stuff. that's what matters, as long as i can get from my room to classes in 5 minutes it's all good.

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh, HollaBack

I recently was accepted and I'm almost 100% sure I am attending. NYC here I come! It's nice to hear that partying is important, this already sounds like a really lively class. Work Hard and Play Hard is a must. I had the option to stay out west but defintely can't pass up this opportunity to get first time exposure to the East while I am young and no strings attached (family doesn't agree :mad: .

Looks like SoCAL is already representing. MrBenny, drtagman and cool fillings I'm in SD, a short drive away. Any plans to go out in LA I am there.

I can't think of doing anything academic before school starts. Looks like I may travel around South America, maybe Europe. I have a buddy living in the Country of Colombia right on the coast so looks like I will be staying there. He is having the time of his life. He said you can get by with a few hundred in your pocket for the month once you are there. Anybody with me? Viva La Colombia!

Last edited:
uclaguy said:
where ya all plannin to live?

Off campus. I am just going to find some apartment somewhere in Washington Heights. Hopefully I can get friends to move in with me so that It is less $ per person.

it would be nice to have my own bathroom, and a kitchen to cook in. I guess we'll just have to see how they randomly assign us. If its based on location, then all the Cali kids will be living the high life their first year.

anyone know how long orientation is, and when it starts? this question might have been answered, but i'm too lazy to flip thru the last 7 pages of this thread.

hey you guys
i just booked a weekend trip to nyc to see columbia again and check out the dorms. for any of you guys who are goin there and live in nyc, i will be there from sat morn to mon afternoon and would be up for meeting and gettin somthin to drink or whatever. let me know if you wanna do this by friday morning. just pm me and ill check and we can exchange numbers or whatever.

Hey
Congrats to you all who got into columbia u....its a great place to be.
Computers...dont need to buy one through the school although i think its almost essential to have your own unless you want to spend hours in the library using those. There are plenty of printers in library, one in bard so its not necessary to get one of your own unless you want the convenience.
Home city doesnt really matter in terms of where you will be living, i think timing is key. Bard really is the best for first year (my opinion). I was set on living in an apt, didnt get one, but i am glad i ended up in Bard...but, am i staying here next year.....hell no, towers here i come!!!
Any other q's feel free to ask :)
sdos 2008

^^^hey pisce, does bard have a communal kitchen of any sort? i can do community bathrooms, etc, but i still want a kitchen just in case if i don't want to microwave my food everynight

vandy_yankee said:
^^^hey pisce, does bard have a communal kitchen of any sort? i can do community bathrooms, etc, but i still want a kitchen just in case if i don't want to microwave my food everynight

Yeah they have one on the 11th floor, along with a nice flat screen tv and a pool table...The lounges are really nice here! The kitchen has a stove and oven, micro, etc. Its usable!

how IS the gym in bard? good machines yay or nay? what about the pool?

does anyone know if there's any open-house thing columbia might give, or will we have to rely on their shady photos posted on the website?

turned in all my finaid stuff. i'm hoping for some $$$, but it doesn't look like they're as generous as say undergraduate colleges typically are.

school starts aug 29!!!

i think there were some questions about it earlier in some other threads...i searched the med forms and for the med students orientation start aug 22 but classes start on 29--so i'm guessing ours will be the same as we take the same classes. and move-in day is also aug 22

vandy_yankee said:
school starts aug 29!!!

i think there were some questions about it earlier in some other threads...i searched the med forms and for the med students orientation start aug 22 but classes start on 29--so i'm guessing ours will be the same as we take the same classes. and move-in day is also aug 22

thank you :D

drtagman said:
hey, ill be joining the columbian family next year and would LOVE to do an externship abroad, could you tell me how that works and where you can go to, how long its for, in what year its done, etc, thanks.

hello drtagman,
our only chances for ext abroad are during the vacation time btwn d-1/d-2, d-2/d-3, or d-3/d-4. possible destinations: Amsterdam, Izmir, Taipei, Osaka,
and Tel Aviv. sounds good, eh? enjo kosai dame wa yo!

peace

vandy_yankee said:
school starts aug 29!!!

Hey guys! I'm one of the orientation Co-Chairs and we're starting to fundraise and plan things for your orientation. I'll keep you guys posted once we have more concrete details.

If you guys have any Q's feel free to PM or email me.

Welcome to Columbia!! I like it a lot here and I'm sure you guys will too :)

shibidah said:
Hey guys! I'm one of the orientation Co-Chairs and we're starting to fundraise and plan things for your orientation. I'll keep you guys posted once we have more concrete details.

If you guys have any Q's feel free to PM or email me.

Welcome to Columbia!! I like it a lot here and I'm sure you guys will too :)

You guys are very lucky. I have know shibidah since undergrad, and I am sure she will help you make a smooth transition to Columbia.