Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question to ask to those of you from Canada or from other countries. What is the process of getting I-20. I used to have a temporary permanent resident card, but it expired. I need to get I-20 from school, and i do not know how. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

t12kim said:
I have a question to ask to those of you from Canada or from other countries. What is the process of getting I-20. I used to have a temporary permanent resident card, but it expired. I need to get I-20 from school, and i do not know how. Thanks.

They should have sent you an I-20 reuest form with your financial information package a few months ago. You then send that filled out form and supporting documents (finances, citizenship, etc) to the Office of International students. By the way, where are you from?

MrBenny said:
Yes and yes.

Greetings from the wonderful country of Colombia, South America. If anyone is thinking about traveling before the festivities begin think about this place (beautiful scenery, people and it is extremely cheap).

I also need this email, they were very difficult to get a hold of before my trip.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
derri's email is [email protected].

tell her what coat size you are and what name to print on the nametag.

you have to email her by the 15th!

^^again, i bow down to the greatness that is SDN. i swear, without this forum i would be nametag/coatless come fall, if i would be even in (because i would have forgotten my 2nd deposit).

where did they give us the info about derri? i have gone through all my paperwork, and i swear i never received that coat size notice.

we got an info packet from dr mcmanus in may--

call 1800-727-8643 to figure out your lab coat size. the customer service guy was pretty helpful. coat style is #447.

you should call and find out what happened to your info packet...there was other stuff as well

javagrl said:
derri's email is [email protected].

tell her what coat size you are and what name to print on the nametag.

you have to email her by the 15th!

Thanks for the response, but for some reason this email doesnt work :confused:

^ the email address worked for me

and a side note, for the ladies: i called customer service and the guy recommended stlye #477 (instead of #447). 447 is men's sizing (and my guess is that the shoulder area will be wider too, etc), while 477 is the same but in women's size. i also called columbia and the lady in the admissions office okayed it, telling me to listen to the customer service people and just order from the 477women's. i was afraid that the dental school is trying to standardize everything, and therefore everyone has to order the same, exact style from the men's dept., but apparently not.

shibidah said:
Hey guys! I'm one of the orientation Co-Chairs and we're starting to fundraise and plan things for your orientation. I'll keep you guys posted once we have more concrete details.

If you guys have any Q's feel free to PM or email me.

Welcome to Columbia!! I like it a lot here and I'm sure you guys will too :)

Shibidah or anyone else who knows,

Please update us on orientation. It's been a while since we last received any news. Feed us info, pls.

somebody pls help out: which is the best airport to arrive at? i don't have time restriction so all i care about is cheap transportation. thanks!

Halitosis said:
somebody pls help out: which is the best airport to arrive at? i don't have time restriction so all i care about is cheap transportation. thanks!

I always go Newark Liberty, but then again I have an uncle to pick me up. I've been told you get a $20 taxi to Manhattan from JFK.

Halitosis said:

Newark is good, but you can also arrive at JFK or Laguardia. In fact, both have air-trains which take you to subways if you are interesed in saving the $45 cab ride. Although if you are not sure of yourself and you have lots of luggage, just take the cab.

You can also take a flight to Islip/McAurthur in Long Island and take the Long Island Rail Road from there (~$10 for the train which takes you to the center of Manhattan+$2 subway), but I would not suggest it unless the flight is really cheap.

If you want more specific directions from these airports PM me- I fly in and out all the time.

click here for map

Click here for the MTA website with directions

The cheapest way is to take the bus/subway. It will cost you a total of $2, but may take about 1.5 hours to get to school. The bus is the M60, and is the Harlem/Laguardia line. The good news is that there is only one transfer and I would consider the trip to be safe, but remember that you might have a lot of luggage, so I would account for that.

Look for that M60 bus when you get off the plane. You will take it through Queens and accross the Triborough Bridge into Harlem. Stay on the bus until you get to 125th and "St. Nicolas Avenue" (AKA central park west). This is where you transfer to the subway.

You can take the "A" or the "C" train north. Both go to CU medical center. The A train is the express train, so it has 1/2 as many stops, but it is only a 5 minute difference, so either is good. Anyway, get off on 168th street stop (which will be marked as the CU medical center stop).

You are there!

There are other options, but honestly this is the fastest for the money. Even a cab will take like 45 minutes, but the cab driver would help with your baggage.

Members don't see this ad :)
the moving in date is set for aug 23rd (tuesday), but do you guys know if we are allowed to move-in the weekend before (ie, agu 20-21)?

it just seems like a very ******ed move to move-in on a weekday where we will be fighting heavier traffic (plus my rents are going to help me haul all my junk, and i do NOT want to be a burden and have them take a day off of work). i vaguely remember reading something saying that we could if we contacted the housing admins... and isn't the med orientation that entire week, so shouldn't the buildings be opened already by the weekend?

click here for map

The easiest method is taking the Airtrain to the "A" subway train (getting on at the "Howard Beach" stop). The Airtrain costs $5 and the Subway will be $2. The A is express, and it will take you all the way to Columbia Medical Center (the stop that you get off on is called 168th street/CU medical center stop). Make sure you take it West/North toward Manhattan. It takes about 1.5 hours total.

onetoothleft said:
click here for map

The easiest method is taking the Airtrain to the "A" subway train (getting on at the "Howard Beach" stop). The Airtrain costs $5 and the Subway will be $2. The A is express, and it will take you all the way to Columbia Medical Center (the stop that you get off on is called 168th street/CU medical center stop). Make sure you take it West/North toward Manhattan. It takes about 1.5 hours total.

onetooth = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanx!

Halitosis said:
onetooth = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanx!

no prob.

When are you all arriving into the city? If orientation and move in are Aug 23, anyone getting here before that--we could have a CU dent meet?

Halitosis said:

i personally think LGA is the easiest to come into. You just hop on the M60 bus (someone at the airport can direct you) and you are in manhattan in no time and it only costs $2. then you can get off at the A/C train (the bus runs on 125th street in manhattan) and take the train up to 168th (if that's your final destination). The train options from 125th street are endless.

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted, but we're still in classes, and a lot of the planning goes on during the summer. But, the orientation events will most likely include a welcome dinner, a boat cruise and dinner with the med students, a dinner at Puglia's (restaurant in Little Italy), comedy club, taking you guys shopping at Target or Ikea, a club night, and a free night in case any parents are around. It's also filled with some administrative stuff like registration/financial aid/computer lectures. We will be asking for money to help cover the costs (very costly to do all these things, but we have fundraised alot of money to help you guys out). Dr. McManus should be sending a letter sometime to ask for $ and photographs. PLEASE send them ASAP, because we will be creating a CD with pictures of all of you guys and your big sibs plus maps, directions, etc.

The latest thing that has been going on for your class is that we have been matching up lil sibs and big sibs =). There will also be a day during orientation where you will meet all your big sibs.

Hope that's enough info for now. Can't wait to meet you all! I will be here before orientation starts, so if you guys want to meet up before I'll be down for it :)

Shibidah, thanx for the update, it's great to know what's going on.

can you pls tell me how big sib matching works? are the photos spread out on a table and then the class officers get first dips, "this girl is hot, i get her", "that guy is cute, i get him.", then the "leftovers" are randomly matched up.

just curious. thanx.

There's a separate committee for orientation (not necessarily class officers). We don't have your pictures. We basically match up by colleges and hometowns. After all that we go by gender and ethnicity. We just try to match up similarities.

Halitosis said:
Shibidah, thanx for the update, it's great to know what's going on.

can you pls tell me how big sib matching works? are the photos spread out on a table and then the class officers get first dips, "this girl is hot, i get her", "that guy is cute, i get him.", then the "leftovers" are randomly matched up.

just curious. thanx.

Does anybody know when we are getting our housing contracts?

ayg103 said:

my big sib got hers just before 4th of july

ayg103 said:

I called the housing office and they told me within a week or 2.

So the first night we get to New York, which club are we going out to?

i went to this one club that had an open rooftop area, it was nice. i wanna go there again.

I love that you planning where you are going out already. I can tell this class will be fun.

There are hundreds of places to go, this is the best city for it!

housing contracts are out!

got mine today: it looks like i'll be stuck in a 10X13 streetview in bard. i was really hoping i could get one of the bigger rooms, but i'm assuming those were nabbed by the upperclassmen who decided to stay in bard. oh well, at least i have a sink to wash my dishes and brush my teeth in.

does anyone know if the bard rec center is usually busy? they said something about how they always have sign-up sheets for the treadmills and ellipticals, and that makes me nervous (do they really need it? is it packed?)

awwww i got 703 with no sink.

ok so now tht i have the worst room possible i am seriously considering getting an apartment. i would like to find a place that i can share with at the very least one other person because it is way more economical. anyway to get to the point if there is anyone on this damn thing who doesnt want to live in bard, maybe we can live together. i am 23, male, indian and if you want to talk pm me for a cell number. i am clean, social, like to sleep and wake up at normal hours during the week so if you are nocturnal and loud i dont think we will get along, sry. i dont care if you are male or female and definately dont care about what ethnic background you are. anyone who is intrested pm me please so i can get out of a room in bard with no sink or closet :mad:

in replly to vandy yankee's question:

does anyone know if the bard rec center is usually busy? they said something about how they always have sign-up sheets for the treadmills and ellipticals, and that makes me nervous (do they really need it? is it packed?)

it is kind of busy..depends on what time of the day you go. you do have sign up sheets for the treadmills and ellipticals but you can usually figure out what time works for you when i'ts not so busy. it does get packed around 430-530ish.

hope you're enjoying summer!

gracias mango. i'm an early bird, so i'll probably work out and shower before classes. it better not be packed at 7am!

and sdos2009, there are a lot of drawbacks to renting an apartment vs. dorm. for an apartment, you'd have to reacquire all of that furniture/junk, have the resources to move it all in (and move it out later), and most places require at least 9months-1 year contracts (which means you'll have to either stay longer or sublease it later). i lived off campus my last year of undergrad, i had fun, but if i had the choice again i probably wouldn't do it again (for all the headaches the little stuff was worth, it wasn't worth the small save on money).

onetoothleft said:
I love that you planning where you are going out already. I can tell this class will be fun.

There are hundreds of places to go, this is the best city for it!

Recieved my housing assognment today and towers here I come :) I'll be in a 4 person suite, so we all have a place to pregame before the crazy NYC nights. bring it on :cool:

Last edited:
Got Georgian! But wait I have until the 8th of July (tommorow!) to respond?
Is that a typo or are they serious? I mean I just got it today!

Still haven't received my assignment and was told I'm 14th on the list when I called about it today. Anyone else not received an assignment yet?

paolorossifan said:
Got Georgian! But wait I have until the 8th of July (tommorow!) to respond?
Is that a typo or are they serious? I mean I just got it today!

I called them today and they told me I must overnight it, but I recieved it yesterday. I was surprised about that deadline as well. Looks like you need to overnight it as soon as possible (but I'm sure they will understand if it is a day late if you call them).

sdos2009 said:
ok so now tht i have the worst room possible i am seriously considering getting an apartment. i would like to find a place that i can share with at the very least one other person because it is way more economical. anyway to get to the point if there is anyone on this damn thing who doesnt want to live in bard, maybe we can live together. i am 23, male, indian and if you want to talk pm me for a cell number. i am clean, social, like to sleep and wake up at normal hours during the week so if you are nocturnal and loud i dont think we will get along, sry. i dont care if you are male or female and definately dont care about what ethnic background you are. anyone who is intrested pm me please so i can get out of a room in bard with no sink or closet :mad:

i need off-campus housing.

x-linked said:
i need off-campus housing.
i need some sort of housing now since i have no update and no contracts so far.
do you guys have any good links to find housing around the dental school?

i have found what looks to be a nice 3br if u guys were intrested. just go to craigslist.org

Anyone know about the cable tv / phone situation in the towers? I know highspeed internet is included. While I don't expect to watch much TV having local channels for news and a primetime show or two would be nice. I understand that TWC is the cable provider. Anyone know if basic cable (just the stuff you can get for free over the air anyways) is available by default on the RF coax lines in the tower apartments, or if they have it filtered per-room? I don't plan to buy a cable plan and get a box so its either free basic (in the absence of filtering) or get over-the-air broadcast from the empire state building I'd imagine.

Also, from what I understand the phone costs $18/month to get a 10 digit number which allows people outside of the Columbia network to call you. Anyone use this and can comment about whether or not there is free longdistance (I know a lot of land lines don't have that, but some new digital ones do)

Thanks.

MasterTLT said:
Still haven't received my assignment and was told I'm 14th on the list when I called about it today. Anyone else not received an assignment yet?

wtf? i haven't gotten my neither. all i wanted was a rm at bard, and they can't even give me that. i'm cat 1, btw. =(

I am at Georgian....I guess I get to wake up 30 seconds before class starts.

to all the ppl who got campus housing:

how fast did you send back the housing appl?

Columbia is my top choice for dent schools. I'm worried about my gpa (3.1) and I have not yet took the DATs yet. I was wondering what the gpas and dats scores of students who were accepted were. How about extracurricular activities, leadership, and research experience??

Thanks!

hey guys i am comin up to ny to look at a few places, so if anyone wants to meet up and hang out pm me and we can exchange numbers or something.

smiley123 said:
Columbia is my top choice for dent schools. I'm worried about my gpa (3.1) and I have not yet took the DATs yet. I was wondering what the gpas and dats scores of students who were accepted were. How about extracurricular activities, leadership, and research experience??

Thanks!

i would say avg gpa is 3.3, 3.4, with avg dats of about 21AA.

your gpa is a bit low, so you're going to have to score very high on the DATs (23+).

this is how columbia prioritizes their admissions criteria:
#1: DAT score
#2: strength/reputation of undergraduate college
#3: GPA

Halitosis said:
to all the ppl who got campus housing:

how fast did you send back the housing appl?

I would say within a week from when I recieved the application

hey, our classes are posted up on student services (ssol.columbia.edu).

i don't know why it says letter grades tho-- i thought it was going to be p/f!

Hey for those of you who are on the waitlist for dorms at Columbia what are you guys doing at this time? are you waiting to see if you get a dorm or are you searching for apts?

paolorossifan said:
Does CU send out some type of confirmation after they've recieved our deposits????

P.S. Any Canadian CU 2009'ers????

yes, any Canadian CU's ?