Columbia 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Orientation is so much fun!! You will get a chance to meet your classmates and it's a great way to get ready for school...

Shibidah is going to do an awesome job with her co-chair and we're all excited about welcoming you guys!

Enjoy your summer....

Members don't see this ad.

shibidah said:
Hey guys! I'm one of the orientation Co-Chairs and we're starting to fundraise and plan things for your orientation. I'll keep you guys posted once we have more concrete details.

If you guys have any Q's feel free to PM or email me.

Welcome to Columbia!! I like it a lot here and I'm sure you guys will too :)

Shibidah, thank u and ur crew! i put my faith in you to make it memorable. i wouldn't mind if light hazing is involved.

where do we need to send the second deposit? same address as before, right?

they should send out a reminder though. thank goodness for sdn, otherwise i'd forget.

shibidah--does our orientation also start on the 22? or later?

Members don't see this ad :)
vandy_yankee said:

they should send out a reminder though. thank goodness for sdn, otherwise i'd forget.

seriously. good call guys, without this, i would've forgotten. i'm pretty certain its the same address as before.

they should definitely have sent something out to remind folks. i would bet there are a good number of '09ers who don't frequent sdn, who have forgotten.

MrBenny said:
seriously. good call guys, without this, i would've forgotten. i'm pretty certain its the same address as before.

they should definitely have sent something out to remind folks. i would bet there are a good number of '09ers who don't frequent sdn, who have forgotten.

I never got any notice, but after I saw your posts I emailed Dr. McManus and he said to send it.

I think you are right! if you are late I bet you are not the only one--just think if we didn't have SDN to remind us of things like this!

vandy_yankee said:

We're only tentatively planning everything right now because we are busy fundraising for your orientation, but I'm pretty sure it will start on the 22nd. Last year, our orientation started on the 24th and classes started on Aug 30.

I will let you guys know when I'm 100% positive :)

i'm current 2nd year.

there's no computer requirement.

a lot of things posted online, but most students print materials at the library

onetoothleft said:
I never got any notice, but after I saw your posts I emailed Dr. McManus and he said to send it.

I think you are right! if you are late I bet you are not the only one--just think if we didn't have SDN to remind us of things like this!

How much was this? 500?

Thanks in advance, good thing I check SDN every now and then.

foh said:
How much was this? 500?

Thanks in advance, good thing I check SDN every now and then.

Right, it's $500 due May 1st.

MasterTLT said:
Right, it's $500 due May 1st.

I hope everyone got that in or are planning on overnighting it. I guess the housing application will be sent out next month. Looks like I will apply for the Towers but sounds like the dorms are where it is at for your first year. Does anybody know the percentages of first years in the dorms or towers?? How are they chosen? :confused:

Also wondering if any other SDNers have has joined the Family?? Where are you from??

Columbia 2009: MrBenny, t12kim, TanyaO86, vandy_yankee, paolorossifan, onetoothleft, drtagman, souperman, javagrl, qaztake82, halitosis, hops, sdos2009, foh, HollaBack

finaid package came back today!!! it's bumped up to $62k for next year...
and apparently they'll run through everything in detail during orientation, telling us not to hyperventilate at the fact that we'll be taking out massive loans.

now i'm just waiting on the housing packages...

vandy_yankee said:
finaid package came back today!!! it's bumped up to $62k for next year...
and apparently they'll run through everything in detail during orientation, telling us not to hyperventilate at the fact that we'll be taking out massive loans.

now i'm just waiting on the housing packages...

62K was around what I expected. Looks like they hooked me up as much as they can and doesn't look like I need to take a private loan out. Can't wait until all documents are in and everything is finalized so I can start my last real summer for a while. Any plans??

Members don't see this ad :)
HollaBack said:
62K was around what I expected. Looks like they hooked me up as much as they can and doesn't look like I need to take a private loan out. Can't wait until all documents are in and everything is finalized so I can start my last real summer for a while. Any plans??

I'm going with some friends to Europe (France, Italy, Holland, Switzerland, and a couple of other countries) in June. So my last real summer will definitely be memorable.
Anyone else doing anything fun this summer?

TanyaO86 said:
I'm going with some friends to Europe (France, Italy, Holland, Switzerland, and a couple of other countries) in June. So my last real summer will definitely be memorable.
Anyone else doing anything fun this summer?

Sounds like a Blast. I did that trip a couple years ago and definitely had the time of my life. The couple other countries I would recommend is Greece (not neccesarily the mainland but definitely the Greek Islands) and Spain (I'm a little biased because I studied in Sevilla but Barcelona was incredible). The city that was kind of a secret back then, but heard it is becoming touristy is Chinquaterre (Sp??) in Italy. It was real Italy and icredible scenery (the city is 5 fishing villages that you are able to hike in a days time) and incredible food. You also can't go wrong with the $.50, 64 ounce beers in Prague. I'm definitely Jealous. Are you traveling via EuroRail?? What cities?

Looks like I'm headed to South America in June, more specifically Colombia. I ahve a buddy living there that will show me the ropes. But I really haven't started planning it :confused:

HollaBack said:

wow, they gave me 40k w/ 32k in unsub fed stafford loan at 8.25% :mad:

everytime someone hears i want to be a dentist, they say "wow, you're going to be rich later on!" to which i reply, "yeah, but can i borrow $200k right now without interest?"

the way i look at it, heavy investment now = big profits later. just don't drop out in the middle, and it'll all be good.

man, did anyone get a call from an army recruiter trying to get you to take the health prof scholarship? anyone thinking about it?

ohh so that's what that was-- i had a msg on my machine...i know a lot of doctors that did it here in tx. but most likely i will not be taking advantage of it.

Hey Everyone,

I got my financial aid packet and I was curious as to what your interest rate was for the Stafford Loan? It seemed high at 8.25%, so I was wondering if this was just for me or if everyone has the same rate. If you don't want to discuss your rates, don't worry about it. But I would appreciate any feedback (you can even PM me). Thanks.

ayg103 said:
Hey Everyone,

I got my financial aid packet and I was curious as to what your interest rate was for the Stafford Loan? It seemed high at 8.25%, so I was wondering if this was just for me or if everyone has the same rate. If you don't want to discuss your rates, don't worry about it. But I would appreciate any feedback (you can even PM me). Thanks.

Same here, stafford at 8.25%, and perkins at 5%.

Hey Y'all,

Got my housing application in today. Just curious where people are thinking of living. The Bard-Haven Towers look great, but I don't know if 1st year students get those often. Also, the 106 Haven apts seem nice. I'm just trying to get a feel out there of where my future classmates are thinking of staying, so we can plan parties and pre-gaming socials before hitting up the NYC night life.

ayg103 said:
Hey Y'all,

Got my housing application in today. Just curious where people are thinking of living. The Bard-Haven Towers look great, but I don't know if 1st year students get those often. Also, the 106 Haven apts seem nice. I'm just trying to get a feel out there of where my future classmates are thinking of staying, so we can plan parties and pre-gaming socials before hitting up the NYC night life.

Now you are talking. I like this class already. I'm pretty sure I'll (most of the single 1st years) end up in the dorms. Not my ideal choice, but definitely has its ups (location, meeting people, gym, etc.) I just talked to an OMFS resident who went to columbia and he told me that 1st years have no chance in the towers. So where do the first years on campus live?? Only bard??

I want the Georgian, 3-person. Its good to get to know as many people as possible right of the bat. Esp. if your an out-towner.

paolorossifan said:
I want the Georgian, 3-person. Its good to get to know as many people as possible right of the bat. Esp. if your an out-towner.

I agree. Do you think it is a better place to meet people than the dorms?What about the other two, 154 Haven or 106 haven ave. I haven't heard anything about them. Sounds like the Georgian is a good choice and so are the towers. Another big plus for the Georgian are that the nursing students are there, :love: I really don't know the big difference between any of them. Anybody (current students) have any input???

HollaBack said:
I agree. Do you think it is a better place to meet people than the dorms?What about the other two, 154 Haven or 106 haven ave. I haven't heard anything about them. Sounds like the Georgian is a good choice and so are the towers. Another big plus for the Georgian are that the nursing students are there, :love: I really don't know the big difference between any of them. Anybody (current students) have any input???

I guess the best place would be where ever there the most of us freshman. McManus said the friends you make in dental school will be more important to you than highschool and college chums combined.

are any of you guys thinking of getting a tablet pc? my laptop is old and heavy (but runs ok)-- is anyone actually going to bring his/her comp to class?

javagrl said:
are any of you guys thinking of getting a tablet pc? my laptop is old and heavy (but runs ok)-- is anyone actually going to bring his/her comp to class?

Do we need to? I'm a getting an M-powered VIAO anyways.

paolorossifan said:
I guess the best place would be where ever there the most of us freshman. McManus said the friends you make in dental school will be more important to you than highschool and college chums combined.

Did you rank the dorms in your top 3?? What about the other two residence halls on Haven Avenue, No D students??

I will definitely go out shopping for a laptop in July, but you're right how a laptop isn't a priority like it is at other schools.

HollaBack said:
Did you rank the dorms in your top 3?? What about the other two residence halls on Haven Avenue, No D students??

I will definitely go out shopping for a laptop in July, but you're right how a laptop isn't a priority like it is at other schools.

I dont know about dental students in the other Haven dorms, but I ranked Bard as no. 4. 1 being the double room, of a three person Georgian Suite.

Do they just put you in with dental students at the georgian, or do you have give specific names? I don't know anyone (yet), but the suite would be nice to meet people.

paolorossifan said:
I dont know about dental students in the other Haven dorms, but I ranked Bard as no. 4. 1 being the double room, of a three person Georgian Suite.

So the double room you share with another student??

ayg103 said:
Do they just put you in with dental students at the georgian, or do you have give specific names? I don't know anyone (yet), but the suite would be nice to meet people.

They said it is given a pretty much random pairing (with dental students). For the any other info section I was wondering if I should state that I may get a little routy on the weekends.

has everyone activated their cubmail account? it's pretty good!

comrades,
can someone describe what "rail road" means in regards to a 2p suite at the georgian? thanQ.

Halitosis said:
man, why are you on prob status?

I made some wise guy comment about there being an exponential increase in the number of medical applicants for medical school, and that only 27 % will get acceptance - I didn't realize that was considered trolling - I did it for a joke (it was my first day) - but I understand how people can get agitated by it, so I apologized on the forum.

HollaBack said:
So the double room you share with another student??

Yup! It'll be like freshman college dorm life all over again but at least you'll have a buddy.

Halitosis said:
comrades,
can someone describe what "rail road" means in regards to a 2p suite at the georgian? thanQ.

Rail Road means that your "Suite" is like a walk in closet type of 2 person. In other words, you would enter into your "living room" and walk through it to get your bedroom door. A side by side has the two rooms "side by side". You follow?

yep..i signed up for the side by side deal. hoping for a single room in a 3 person suite at georgian. that would be ideal. and hoping that we are surrounded on all sides by nursing students. female nursing students, definitely. hot nursing students, preferably.

paolorossifan said:
Rail Road means that your "Suite" is like a walk in closet type of 2 person. In other words, you would enter into your "living room" and walk through it to get your bedroom door. A side by side has the two rooms "side by side". You follow?

ohh, i see. thanks!

MrBenny said:
yep..i signed up for the side by side deal. hoping for a single room in a 3 person suite at georgian. that would be ideal. and hoping that we are surrounded on all sides by nursing students. female nursing students, definitely. hot nursing students, preferably.

ha!

why don't you give bard a shot? you can enjoy the co-ed showers w/ our female classmates. oh god, those girls better not drop their soaps.

paolorossifan said:

The lady in housing said that some students decide the two rooms to be seperate bedrooms or on shared bedroom and a living room. Either way you are walking through one room to get to the other.

MrBenny said:

Mr. Benny looks like we are on the same page here. Also going for the ideal single room but would also take the double if it is surrounded by the latter students :cool: . The 3 person suite on Haven Ave. didn't sound too bad either, good rates with a living room. But looks like the D students are mostly in the Georgian or Bard. Looks like the preference is given if you live farther away? Doesn't get much farther than SD

Halitosis said:
ha!

why don't you give bard a shot? you can enjoy the co-ed showers w/ our female classmates. oh god, those girls better not drop their soaps.
l

Last edited: