MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask what specialty you guys are applying? Looking at our post match reports for our school and applicants in my specialty applied to a wide range 35-80+. Not sure which side of that to be on. Was thinking 45/50 as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I might want to do IR. So, based on the fact that IR has so few spots, I’m thinking every IR program (and, of course, their associated DR programs), plus maybe a few DRs with ESIR in locations I really want to live in, a slew of transitional years, and then maybe a few (dozen) IM programs as a backup.

I think I’m gonna spend a million dollars on my app cycle, but anything is better than not matching.

Also seeing this thread in existence just gave me heart palpitations.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know the cost of applying to 50 programs as opposed to say 30? It's not gonna change how many I decide to apply to, just wanted to be mentally prepared

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the cost of applying to 50 programs as opposed to say 30? It's not gonna change how many I decide to apply to, just wanted to be mentally prepared

IMG_2798.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Can I ask what specialty you guys are applying? Looking at our post match reports for our school and applicants in my specialty applied to a wide range 35-80+. Not sure which side of that to be on. Was thinking 45/50 as well.
I’m applying DR and planning to do 40-50 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m doing EM. I want 12 interviews to have a 95%+ chance of matching based on charting outcomes so I’ll probably do at least 50 with the hope I get roughly one interview for every four programs applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
"Inconsequential given its importance"
If you can acquire the money in a way where you have to pay less than 2x of it back, I wouldn't even ask this question. It is some of the best money you'll ever spend, guaranteeing your ability to use your 4 years and 250k investment in training.

Psych 240-245 step 1. Currently have a list with 53 places I'd prefer for various reasons but hopefully will apply to 70-80 total. I'd probably stop if I got 20-25 interviews at places I liked but I really don't know if I'll hit close to that.

Is it overkill? I hope so. Am I terrified anyway? Yes.

Last edited:
I think I might want to do IR. So, based on the fact that IR has so few spots, I’m thinking every IR program (and, of course, their associated DR programs), plus maybe a few DRs with ESIR in locations I really want to live in, a slew of transitional years, and then maybe a few (dozen) IM programs as a backup.

I think I’m gonna spend a million dollars on my app cycle, but anything is better than not matching.

Hey! You're narrowing in on something! That's cool to see. What else are you deciding between?

Anesthesia

step 1 230-235 probably going to aim around 45-50 apps!

Don't worry you're not alone. I probably will apply to over 120 programs as well. I want to do Neurology which is not really super competitive, but there's only around 165 programs total and majority of them are University programs. Plus I think I'm going to add a few community IM programs as backup.

Anyone have any insight into what the residency programs are like at Loma Linda? Everything I know about the medical school/general cultural expectations and the little I know about their residency programs makes me think i should not apply there, but I'm a californian who would love to finally get back home and they have one of only 4 CA programs for the specialty i'm probably applying to... I would of course rather be farther from home in a program where I'll be happier though

IM. Think I would probably be okay applying to only 30-35 but don't want to take any chances so will aim for 50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! You're narrowing in on something! That's cool to see. What else are you deciding between?
It’s really just DR/IR and critical care (via IM -> pulm/CCM) for me. It’s just the whole IR/DR plus transitionals thing that’s gonna kill me in terms of cost.

It’s really just DR/IR and critical care (via IM -> pulm/CCM) for me. It’s just the whole IR/DR plus transitionals thing that’s gonna kill me in terms of cost.
Am I the only one that is still confused about how we apply to transitional year and IM/surg prelims for DR?

Am I the only one that is still confused about how we apply to transitional year and IM/surg prelims for DR?
I believe it will be two seperate matches with two separate preference lists: one for radiology programs and one for prelim programs

I matched this year. Virtual interviews were definitely very convenient. Nothing beats interviewing from the comfort of your home. Never had any tech issues or any other issues with it. The hardest part was months afterward with ranking especially the middle of the rank list and differentiating between programs that weren't at the top or bottom of my list because it is hard to leave a strong mental imprint without being there in person to get the vibe of the place for the places that you are sort of so so about.

But at the end of the day I'm not sure I would have created my rank list any differently had I seen every place in person.

Anecdotally one PD I spoke with said he felt virtual was here to stay forever as it made too much sense from a cost saving standpoint for applicants not having them flying around the country staying in hotels etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in a research year and most of the attendings I work with also said that they expect interviews to stay online this year. With that said, I was hoping you could answer a question for me:

My laptop camera is shot and I currently use my phone for anything virtual. Given the cost-savings of (hopefully) doing online interviews, would you recommend buying an iPad or an external camera (I def do not want to use my phone)?
You realize that a computer camera is like $20...

You can also go for a nicer camera for better quality, or even get a camera with a ring light, but those are a little more costly.
I mean sure, whatever, but the way the question was posed, like should I even get a camera for an interview that will determine my life prospects or just use the terrible POS I have, seems to lack insight.

Nope! I’m confused, too. I’m hoping to match a transitional year, but I will also apply to and rank every IM prelim in a city that has a DR/IR program I’m applying to. I *really* don’t want to have to move twice, regardless of where I match. Obviously I’ll do what I’ve got to do, but still.

From what I understand past that, we get a separate rank list for prelims per categorical program on our main list - so like for rads program A my preference for prelims is 1, 2, 3, 4 but for rads program B my preference for prelims is 3, 4, 1, 2, etc.

Well, guess it's time to start looking in the 2021 panic thread for a good camera and headphones..

I'm in a research year and most of the attendings I work with also said that they expect interviews to stay online this year. With that said, I was hoping you could answer a question for me:

My laptop camera is shot and I currently use my phone for anything virtual. Given the cost-savings of (hopefully) doing online interviews, would you recommend buying an iPad or an external camera (I def do not want to use my phone)?

Personally I would get an external camera that you can clip onto your laptop if your laptop webcam isn't working. I feel interviewing with an iPad just seems a bit more sketchy but maybe the new iPads work great with interviews you would have to ask someone that did them w tablets. I also bought a ring light (maybe there are some ring lights that come with webcams built in that you can look into? ). I think a ring light with a warm light effect can be very beneficial just watch out for glare if you wear glasses.

I also used my bluetooth AirPod Pro headphones and they worked well. I have over ear headphones as well but I think they look a bit much for interviews.

I don't think an external microphone is necessary.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m thinking of waiting till the AirPods Pro 2 come out (if they come out before interview season). They have good mics and don’t show too much. If not, then I’ll probably go for the Bose in-ear
I hope they are better than the ones I have because mine are horrible whenever I try to talk on the phone with them. But I totally agree, super low profile and much less noticeable.

So it looks like ERAS can be submitted on September 1st but won't be released until October 21 again this year for program review? Am I missing something or is this the same timeline as last year? ERAS 2021 Residency Timeline

I hope they are better than the ones I have because mine are horrible whenever I try to talk on the phone with them. But I totally agree, super low profile and much less noticeable.
What headphones do you have right now? I have Bose over ears, which are great, but they are way too showy.

What headphones do you have right now? I have Bose over ears, which are great, but they are way too showy.
I have the OG AirPods. They are super great but for whatever reason no one can hear me. Maybe wax clogged them lol

Personally I would get an external camera that you can clip onto your laptop if your laptop webcam isn't working. I feel interviewing with an iPad just seems a bit more sketchy but maybe the new iPads work great with interviews you would have to ask someone that did them w tablets. I also bought a ring light (maybe there are some ring lights that come with webcams built in that you can look into? ). I think a ring light with a warm light effect can be very beneficial just watch out for glare if you wear glasses.

I also used my bluetooth AirPod Pro headphones and they worked well. I have over ear headphones as well but I think they look a bit much for interviews.

I don't think an external microphone is necessary.
Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I decided to procrastinate on more pressing responsibilities today by starting my spreadsheet of programs I'll be applying to... aaaahhhhhh

• Love
From experience in this past cycle, lighting makes all the difference. Get a ring light or a light that is mounted behind the camera, facing your face. I looked artificially much more beautiful.

Reactions: 10 users
I decided to procrastinate on more pressing responsibilities today by starting my spreadsheet of programs I'll be applying to... aaaahhhhhh
Planning for my future is the only thing getting me through the now overwhelmingly repetitive days of medical education.

I’ve started doing that and making another sheet of my top 10 non-reach programs where I write down bits of information regarding what is special about the program/unique to the area/things that attract me to both the place and the program. Figure it might be useful come interview season.

Please feel free to PM me or tag me in a post here (I won't see it otherwise) if anyone needs the application process/strategies explained for DR or IR. I bet @Ho0v-man @NecrotizingFasciitis and many other 2021 rad applicants would be glad to help. It's confusing at first and there are some different strategies regarding backups and ranklists and ESIR/IR strategies. I would be more than happy to help clarify anything or list some potential options for the many different situations/priorities radiology applicants find themselves in. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Please feel free to PM me or tag me in a post here (I won't see it otherwise) if anyone needs the application process/strategies explained for DR or IR. I bet @Ho0v-man @NecrotizingFasciitis and many other 2021 rad applicants would be glad to help. It's confusing at first and there are some different strategies regarding backups and ranklists and ESIR/IR strategies. I would be more than happy to help clarify anything or list some potential options for the many different situations/priorities radiology applicants find themselves in. Good luck!
Yo, can you explain how you found prelim years? As in TY vs medicine vs surg intern years. I want DR, and I want to do either a TY or medicine year but have no idea where to find info on medicine years. FREIDA seems to only have TY.

Hey I’ll happily help chat with anyone in a PM about rads. Especially you DOs out there. I know you get zero advising from your schools so we gotta stick together.

edit: I’m suggesting PM to not derail the thread further.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

100% down to help rads applicants. DMs are open.

I’m doing EM. I want 12 interviews to have a 95%+ chance of matching based on charting outcomes so I’ll probably do at least 50 with the hope I get roughly one interview for every four programs applied to.
That's probably a good number to start at. Then look at your board scores, are you MD, DO, IMG, how strong will your SLOEs be do you think, and are you wanting to match locally or to the coasts.......this will help you decide if you need to increase your numbers or not. Also if IIs are all virtual this year like last year you might want to increase the number of programs you apply to.....because everyone else will be as well.

A braver man than I! What kind of programs are you targeting?

So this may be an overly neurotic question, but does anyone know if programs look at what rotations we have scheduled for 4th year and care? I'm applying for a radiology elective as my first M4 rotation mostly because there isn't much else available yet and I need to start putting my schedule together. Will this look bad if I'm applying IM? Hoping my next rotation will be an IM sub-I.

So this may be an overly neurotic question, but does anyone know if programs look at what rotations we have scheduled for 4th year and care? I'm applying for a radiology elective as my first M4 rotation mostly because there isn't much else available yet and I need to start putting my schedule together. Will this look bad if I'm applying IM? Hoping my next rotation will be an IM sub-I.
You’re screwed if you do a rads sub-i...

I’m just kidding, AFAIK they don’t give a crap. Likely not on the top 10-20 things they care about, so I wouldn’t worry. Radiology sub-is are chill AF. I would do it.

• Haha